Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm the bear on lower left.

Glad we have a new thread.

Fallorn posted:

Ok that is funny I can't take chain boobs serious at all I would almost expect them to add a piercing so that the chain stayed in the right spot. That is some of the dumbest looking thing I have seen. Also the green chick in the middle going for golden balls crotch.
Welcome to 2E! This is a non-trivial reason why they're doing all new signature character designs, I think, though we've only seen the Solars and one early-introduction "Liminal" thus far.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the Lady of Darkness in Bloodstained Robes is kind of ridiculous. I don't know if her writeup in Scroll of Exalts was actually based on someone's ex-girlfriend, but man, it sure sounds like it was.

(People can say what they like about Infernals, but Scroll of Exalts is the worst book in the line to my mind for being more or less absolutely useless.)
Scroll of Exalts at least had a loving amazing cover.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm drat sure they will be because people love to play them some robots.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

Given that at last word they were completely redoing how Infernals worked charm-wise and storywise and dropping the whole "Emulate a particular yozi' thing, it may just be that they're redoing the sigs to go with said hypothetical revamp in 2024 or whatever.
I think in general they're doing all new signature characters, which I'm fine with, especially if it means less of Special Snowflake Lizardtits and her Extremely Special Reasons and/or the Wikkid Juggalette of a Thousand Sick Killins. (No hate to my juggalo brothers, MMFCL.)

As for pseudo-Cyan, her clothes seemed to tend in the direction of "what DBs might wear," so there would be visual similarities in general.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. Tough posted:

Does anyone know when this is being released for us commoners?
Probably by spring 2016 if they're this far along. I doubt they're going to revise the text significantly so at this point the issue is a. art and b. printing this poo poo at Chang's House of Print on Demand and Waffles.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My guess is some fallout from a Sidereal bullshit effect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

theironjef posted:

My guess is someone just watched some Aeon Flux.
Not enough foot focus. Aeon Flux was practically Whedonesque in that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Personally, I think my opinions and preferences are good and right, and those of others are indications of low birth and Flemish sympathies. Those who do not wish to be marked as a craven dog of Flanders would do well to hie to my vision!
e: This only applies in cases of disagreement of course; if others agree with me, they are objectively correct, or if otherwise embarrassing, only realizing the obvious.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Excuse me. You need to capitalize the S in Solars, thanks.
Yeah, that's heresy right there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Please stop arguing like a cretin.
The entire argument is cretinous.

"Solar thematics are broad and other splats, historically, have had tighter focuses." "No. Solars are cool and good."

These are both true statements, not mutually exclusive. Obviously we cannot know the details of how other Exalts are going to get portrayed beyond broad hints and a reasonable guess that DBs probably won't be too much different.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

That's not what was said. Stop arguing like a cretin.
Please inform me as to what was actually said then, what I saw looked kind of like this:

Krysmphoenix posted:

Solars are basically Superman in a world filled with people with more defined superpowers. Solars get everything while everyone else gets cooler more defined stuff that is always "weaker". or at least that's how it ended up in 2e.

The problem is that they're too badass that everyone else is meaningless, while simultaneously being the least interesting of the set.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, they just don't have very tight thematics; they have like at least a half-dozen vague themes they're tied around and so they end up feeling just kind of mushy a result. I wish I had a better word for it, but "mushy" will do. I wish 3e had tightened up their themes, but if wishes were fishes 3e would've given me a school.

Crion posted:

Actually the Solars are great and own, and exaggerated mortal heroics and narrative flair is a far better hook for game line than anything any other Exalted splat claims as its purview (this is why they're the core splat!). The above poster should feel confident and cool in continuing to play the Solar PCs as designed, and adding the other splats into his or her game as garnish to taste, without feeling as if they are somehow missing out on the experience of Exalted or playing the game wrong. Thank you for your time.

Ferrinus posted:

It's basically insane to read the 3E solar charms and come away thinking solars don't have tight thematics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crion posted:

Ah. The reason I did not remember the Solar being able to reach up mid-combat and call down a meteor strike like a Final Fantasy summon, as implied in that very brief Charm description, is that what the Solar actually does is spend weeks researching a region's geography and then predicts a natural disaster, using a Lore Charm. What an annoying and misleading way of phrasing that. I think it's a pretty stupid Charm, but it being available from chargen is a function of the stupid Supernal rule, not Solar themes being out of wack.
I don't have my PDF: does the Charm give you the insight on how you could make a natural disaster happen, or one that could happen "any day now" which you can magick at and make "any day now" be "next Thursday, just as I send in the Second Legion" - or is it more "the Solar researches real hard and happens to discover a horrible thing which will conveniently happen at this exact time"?

I could see an argument that if it's more towards the latter, it would be more Sidereal than Solar. However, this does get into a thorny ontological question in general.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

It ain't "discovers it will happen", it's "decides it must happen and so because ~oneness with the universe~ it happens".
Ah I see, I had missed your post. Well, that seems to suggest things, but so do the two Sex Charms, and if this is merely an unfortunate turn of phrasing in a top-tier Charm, "whatever, man."

That does sound almost more like Fair Folk poo poo than anything Sidereal, too. The Sidereal version would probably be more "the Sidereal hits the books hard, finds a relevant low-probability event, and pulls some strings (heh) to have that black swan hatch out of the egg."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

spectralent posted:

I'm fairly sure in the leak the wording suggested it was just a thing you worked out, whereas in this version it's now a solar working out a thing and making the universe agree, but I'd have to dig it up to quote directly.
This is one of the irritating things about all the "The Solar touches the pulse of the infinite and collects seven additional dice" flavor bits in the Charms IMO.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

Don't you just love Craft?

Edit: For hard mode, now tell me what those Charms do.
Let you click cookies a little harder.

UberJew posted:

In addition to being literally Zhuge Liang at the Red Cliffs God-King's Shrike is also Moses prophesying plague on Egypt that can only be ameliorated if the Pharoah agrees to his demands, if the Solar with supernal Lore is a Zenith instead of a Twilight :tem:
arrrgh the tem intensifies

I think Moses here is kind of a weird comparison and the zone here is, I guess, is it the character causing this miraculous horrible thing to happen, or is this the player doing it, and if the player decides that Solses doesn't need to turn the river red with blood, Solses discovers he was wrong?

The Bible story would be pretty different if Moses was telling God what to do.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 5, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

If I actually wanted to sit down and prove that Solar charms were mechanically incoherent, I'd gravitate immediately to this one:

Taken literally, this would appear to describe warping the flow of time itself and rewriting the past in order to transfigure the present.

The thing is, not only is that outside the Solar skillset in general, it also directly contravenes that sidebar discussing the few things that no magic in creation can ever do under basically any circumstances.

So... you shouldn't take that flavor text literally, the same way you don't need to take "the Solar draws a shield against her doom." to mean that Brawl charms allow you to materialize a physical, handheld shield. HDM is a calisthenics routine.
You could raise questions of, how come they put it that way, instead of "the Solar guts up and takes a round to do some Hamon breathing, and at the end of it she discovers it was mere scratches! Mechanically, this allows a Solar to undo some damage she took once per scene." Being able to gut your way through some grievous injuries once per scene seems suitably Solar; the Sidereal equivalent would probably look more like scraping off the past damage, the Lunar one would probably be straight up regeneration (and might even be a little stronger or not have a per-scene limit), the Abyssal one would just be shouting "USELESS! USELESS!" really loud and not giving a gently caress because you're an Abyssal, etc.

UberJew posted:

It's creation, the religious character and righteous actions are just as much a part of physical reality as geography, or history, or the weather! The prophet deliberates on the sinfulness and evil of the creation-Pharaoh's rule and discovers that the heavens themselves have decided to smite his kingdom, unless they rectify their character and the prophet intercedes on their behalf (by repudiating the charm)
Yeah that's fair, and in fact I'm all for more religiousness in Solar magic, especially since "You can (most of the time) just use your big solar magic stack to beat your own morality into the general area" is more than enough, in and of itself, to explain why the Old Solars pissed off other people and got dunked on.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 5, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the priority should be on what the Charm does mechanically, even if people may wail about 4E comparisons. A little fluff is OK, and some Charms doubtless provide almost entirely "soft" benefits, but even those should tell you what it does first and foremost. The exceptions I can think of would be Martial Arts (the Wu-tang Sword Techniques are probably pretty similar across all students) and Sorcery (you are in fact literally shooting actual obsidian butterflies, etc.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

It's like how people got confused in 1e about the Sidereal Charm that was literally "you plant a tree and spirits come and leave presents under it", since they thought it was supposed to be weird fluff text.
This reminds me of the Fallen London action which is literally "Wouldn't it be nice if people just left you little presents for being wonderful?" And then they do. (Or they don't and you gain insanity points.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

theironjef posted:

Except for where there's a melee charm at the same tier that can be used for defense. I guess there's nothing stopping players from creating a God-King's Lark (Joystar Celebrations) equivalent charm though.
Being able to forecast auspicious futures for locations does sound explicitly Sidereal though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Given that it's pretty clearly meant as an allusion to Old Testament prophets, I'd honestly prefer if God-King's Shrike was about flexing them God-King muscles and asserting your holy will upon reality (as with Wyld-Shaping Technique etc) rather than about being Disaster Movie Professor Guy.
I don't think it's a good thing to emphasize, since it can lead to the impression of "doing anything other than total covert stealth = instant destruction by screaming thunderbird assault forces 20 minutes later", but this Charm sounds like it should have a note to the effect of "Nearby gods and, potentially, the Loom of Fate, will notice you using this poo poo."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

The funny thing is if you go over to rpg.net you'll find people are saying the opposite, that the book is too clear that charms aren't known quantities and the devs are subtly insulting them by telling them they're doing it wrong by having their characters shout "Heaven Thunder Hammer!!!" as they leap into battle. What's actually happening seems pretty clear to me: the book suggests that charms be OCC rules for defining what your character can do with little to no IC representation, because that's the aesthetic they're going for, but also doesn't go so far as to tell people they're doing it wrong and look like idiots if they play the game like it's a cheesy anime.
If these things aren't known quantities, why are there seven hundred of them? Why not list off a bunch of effects and some kind of scaling XP cost for going further down the tree, with explicit notes that you can flavor this poo poo however you want, and at certain investment points you get a Roll-your-Own-Super-Power narrative trick like Nobilis or something, using perhaps extended writeups of the signature characters to present illustrations and examples (and even instantly-usable character sheets for quick starting or convention gaming)?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

Why should whether they're known in-character have any bearing on how charms are represented mechanically?
Because it seems like we're getting the worst of both worlds. On the one hand Charms are (outside of MA and similar rigorous poo poo) apparently specifically numinous things which develop internally, with any mentoring or teaching presumably being generalities rather than "this is the scroll of Dipping Swallow Defense." They are also one of the primary ways to "power up" in a straightforward way - you buy another charm and you write down what it does, only eventually you get like fifty of them and you don't know what the gently caress you're doing. This was a common result in my RL games. People forgot half their loving Charms, especially ones which they weren't constantly using in a fight.

On the OTHER hand a bunch of them are either very fixed and mechanical effects or are extremely specific, perhaps to the point where such specificness is not necessarily useful - like the disaster Charm we were discussing in the past. If Solar magic bubbles out through idiosyncratic excellence, why does it need a bunch of highly specific manifestations, instead of a guidance on how to scale things up and/or roll interesting and useful "soft" powers with a couple of examples?

This would also solve the problem of "here is this great character archetype, now here's a Charm sub-tree which does that and only that."

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 6, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flavivirus posted:

Because that's not the kind of system they're going for? While there's certainly good arguments for an effect-based system (implemented in however many fate/marvel heroic/whatever else exalted hacks) the Exalted system as a brand is about a big laundry list of specific powers arranged in trees and used in combination with each other.
Sure, I'm just arguing they should cut out the middleman. Have the list of specific tricks you can note down, and every fourth or fifth one you get a custom power. Maybe it's simple ("I can use my giant Cloud sword as a Thrown weapon!"), maybe it's complex. The custom powers are where you make your character statements, even if those statements are "I am Aerith". The other stuff is easily referrable-to mechanical tricks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dammit Who? posted:

Water. Earth. Fire. Air. Wood. Long ago, the nations of Creation lived together in harmony. Then, everything changed when the Wyld attacked. Only the Solar Exalted, masters of all martial arts, could stop them- but when the world needed them most, they vanished. A thousand years passed and Fate has reincarnated the new Solar Exalted, on a small island named Wu Jian. Although their Essence is strong, they have a lot to learn before they're ready to save anyone. But I believe the Solars can save the world!
I am sad because I thought this was the Captain Planet intro for a while.

Ferrinus posted:

I don't even think Abyssals were particularly limited, although their 2E charmset was certainly a bit more one-track than their 1E charmset. We don't really need to worry about there being only one or two distinct Abyssal characters for the same reason we don't need to worry about there being only one or two distinct Vampire characters. There's just too much good stuff there before anyone even puts pen to paper.
I think the Abyssals were pretty limited by their Charm set mostly because there were two obvious roads open to them: "KILL PRESIDENT AND WORLD" or "AWESOME GHOST ADVENTURES." The latter did not get much service despite being, imo, potentially way more interesting as well as fruitful for an actual party (vs. a designed antagonist for Solars). Resonance didn't help either but was also fairly easily nerfed or removed.

Fortunately, all my bitching aside, one of the first things the two guys steering the cart right now did was present an alternate origin path for Abyssals that did not boil down to "dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed". So I am confident that this topic will at least be considered.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 6, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I don't agree with your usage of "limited" here, because even in 2E there was a load of available variety in terms of what your guy looked like, how they operated, what they were good at, how their skills manifested... yeah, each of the dozens of characters you could make with the Abyssals book would be a blight on all life, but, hell, every Solar you ever make will be a reborn hero. Abyssals never had the problems Lunars had where like, there just weren't enough varied, compelling charms to allow for even a single, small gaming group to generate a roster of meaningfully distinct characters while actually leaving room for NPCs, future games, etc.
Hey man, some of the Lunars might use large weapons and others might use small weapons. Totally different.

As for the limited status of Abyssals it seemed to come from a focus on the "antagonistic" take on Abyssals which appeared as antagonists in other books, which got awkward when they were now in a protagonist space. Like all their Charms were either "a duplicate of a Solar charm, maybe with slightly varied costs which mostly mean it costs more in Creation," "a duplicate of a Solar Charm, but evil," or "do something real awful." All of these are fine, but they kept selling "Abyssals as champions/leaders/Exalted of the Underworld" and consistently did not deliver on this, at least in the published Charm etc. swaths. Hopefully Morke and Holden will do better this time round, when we get the Abyssals in 202X. :v:

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 6, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

"Are they saying 'Boo-utiful Devil?'" "No sir, they're saying Boo and No Blood for Hearthstones. They're also calling you some kind of an ogre." "I ought to crunch their bones! Unleash the blood apes."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

virgindick posted:

The creator of 1e wrote a big post about it, actually.

http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/Thus_Spake_Zargrabowski/RealmTechnologicalLevels

I don't think anything there is contradicted by 3e
But here I thought they were getting away from the vision of the First Age as some kind of supertechno utopia! :v:

Actually, some of these complex setting details are my favorite things about Exalted, as a setting. Above and beyond the grand sweeps, it is oddly humanist in a way, and I feel it gives the "mortals" a certain degree of credit that they would do things like figure out how to wash their hands and set up heliograph networks. Similarly with the Dragon-blooded, noting specific common tactical uses of things like Sorcery spells gives a real feeling of life to the setting. If you're going to have this giant wad of setting fluff, at least follow out some of the implications, even if you're avoiding rules-as-physics horseshit.

Dammit Who? posted:

I'd call Creation a "post-apocalyptic Bronze Age world" because the "tech floor" in terms of what people are going to be able to create and maintain anywhere in Creation is going to be about Bronze Age. The closer you get to the center of the world or the more cosmopolitan the area, the more likely you are to find people that can actually forge iron or steel rather than having to trade for it.
To me, "post-apocalyptic Bronze Age" suggests something like a somewhat less severe Dark Sun, which doesn't seem to fit what people actually have going on.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 7, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah you should probably have "recovering" in there somewhere.
My off hand summary has been like "a mix of China and Rome as a high water mark, idiosyncratic and regionally appropriate stuff anywhere, and weird poo poo of both ancient (First Age relic) and recent (various small gods and local problems) vintage."

Considering the Fair Folk, I'd think iron trading would actually be heavily prioritized by every single culture in Creation anywhere near the Wyld. Which is probably most of 'em since the least Wyldy places would be... the Realm!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

The thing that annoys me about this most in particular is that the only reason you need really fancy ships is that they've never bothered to change the map so you can reach the West without having to traverse a loving gigantic open ocean first.

Would it really be that hard to add some chains of dot-on-the-map islands instead of leaving everything completely empty between the West islands and everything else?
Eh this never bothered me that much. The supply train situation would be an issue, as would storms, but Creation is flat and any DB, or what seems like a logical and cheap artifact to make (a compass that points at a given Directional Pole: get two and you have solved most historical navigation challenges, I believe) can track where they're going. As for the rigging I think that got specifically called out, they have better sails and rigging because they've been aping the (really quite good) designs from the First Age.

That said, isn't the gap between the Western island/continents and the Realm, like, the size of the Pacific?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What about triremes (assuming some modifications and good building) makes them so weak to sailing over the ocean anyway? Is it the oars thing?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

It's that they're super-stripped-down to fit a narrow, torpedo profile ideal for ramming other ships below the waterline, and that design doesn't leave a heck of a lot of room for storing food and water.

e: nor for bunks and living space, which is kind of an issue when you need a bunch of dudes to travel together on a month+ long journey over uncharted seas into uncharted lands without killing each other.
Well clearly, CLEARLY, the Solars will be able to sustain them with the power of their speeches, like in that one Charm. I'm sure the Realm just resorts to cannibalism amongst those behind the mast, of course.

I did figure they used big ol galleons or those Zheng He treasure ship things for big oceanic crossings, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

It looks like about 17,000 miles to me. The number on the compass rose is 500, not 300, though it's basically unreadable and I had to look at older maps to determine the scale. I got the number for the distance from Arjuf to Wu-Jian by measuring along the trade routes mapped out, and by the same measure it's 4000 miles from Wu-Jian to Chanos. Easily doable with technology from the early Age of Sail, and you could even reduce the hardship by stopping off at a smaller port in the western Realm.

The reason Creation is smaller than the earth despite the land masses being huge is because it's flat.
There's also apparently a lot more landmass. While rivers are profuse in many areas, there's only like one real "ocean" plus the sea around the Blessed Isle. And now the additional one to the southeast, that whole area there's gotta add a fair bit to the map.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ZeeToo posted:

Even with Creation being flat, I think the size is a little off in terms of surface area. When I try to size the map for Exalted, I end up with something around 168 million square miles. Earth has almost 30 million more square miles.

Lots more land, but not more surface than Earth, unless the Wyld proper doesn't start for some distance off the official map.
Izzat with the old map or the new one? Either way I imagine the expression referred to "land mass suitable for adventuring," especially when you take into account the Underworld (what does happen if you start going off the map of the Underworld, anyway? Is there a Giant Spooky Skull Barrier? Do you end up in the Wyld? The Labyrinth? Cecelyne?) which isn't a very charming place but isn't as hostile as the Wyld or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Currently Creation is smaller than Earth, but with more inhabitable areas. That's sort of moot though, as the population isn't big enough to populate it very densely at all. Depending on what book you go by, it used to be bigger than Earth in the First Age, and had a similar population size to modern day Earth.
I gather that huge reach of bordermarch/survivable but hosed up area was all real nice settled developed terrain and you literally would have a perfectly nice suburban settlement a day's march from the howling primordial chaos. I assume there were signs up.

quote:

It's a Sunless Sea esque Underworld :colbert:
Man if they model the Underworld after the Neath Abyssals are gonna fuckin own bones. (Get it? Bones?)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, I'd pay actual money for a Fallen London-style game in any one of White Wolf's properties. Even the bad ones, like Change ling: the Dreaming.
Well there's Bloodlines. I ought to find some way to just give myself Vampire Level 15 from the start of that game because I want the story and have zero interest in the gameplay. It's me, I'm the scrub

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Personally I'd like to hear what we actually do, apparently, want. I'd like to know!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

Holden just shitposted and started laughing about it on IRC afterwards :/
Has Holden entered... the Imp Zone??

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

Did anyone, in that thread, post the flat BP advancement rules I've repeated a couple time in these very threads?
If Mohammad will not come to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammad. You should go post 'em.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It's a bait and switch, they're gonna be out of Plutonises and we'll have to get an extra Ferrinus. Oldest trick in the book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

Make it an anima power. Pay 1m to get +1 on a roll, up to your dice cap. No Charms for it, no tracking which Abilities you can use it for, just Exalts Are Really Good At Everything as a thing.
Frankly this is a pretty good plan, in my opinion. It also makes all those hosed up Excellency rules able to go away.

Abyssals: Up to dice cap +1 in the Underworld, up to dice cap -1 in Creation.
DBs: Up to skill+specialties
Lunars: Up to attribute (but use attribute in present form or basic form, whichever is more favorable)
Sidereals: Three paragraph meditative rumination on the matter leading up to "up to 7, but no higher, save for Martial Arts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I can't actually figure out what value or fun is being gotten out of steadily increasing geometric costs for some things and a different progression for other things. Even leaving aside char-math optimization it seems, if you think about it, actually more complex than GURPS, and when you can say that about something I would say something has hosed up along the road.