Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

People seemed rather unimpressed with Agile Dragonfly Blade upgrade, but I actually think it's a really cool upgrade.. you don't have to completely trump a foe,, just get close! That seems like an excellent example of the kind of style choices charms can present, even if it is an incrementaly suboptimal charm purchase.

It could also be fun for a very opportunistic character: you are going to prioritize any enemy for which you might have a chance to reap the benefits agile dragonfly blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Magnusth posted:

so, if you were running an exalted heist game, what sort of defenses would you give the vault or bank or whatever? (asking for a friend)

Puzzles, trips through self-contained wyld zones that require a certain instruction set to get throught, a big fuckoff lock and key, bound demons that can be tricked, deep catacombs full of zombies drawn to light who will ignore anyone who walks right through, ninjas, gargoyles who are also ninjas, sorcery shaped into ninjas, ninjas that are actually bound dragons who wish they could have a piece of the take, elemental barriers (for DB vaults), pressure sensitive floors linked to traps, crystal laser tripwires, a vault made of necromantically animated bone, a vault that is actually a beast who keeps imperishable materials in its belly, a vault that turns inside out in response to certain stimuli, a minor portal to a sanctum that responds to prayer.

Good start?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bouquet posted:

Also keep in mind that we're building brand new 3e Exalts with 0 xp for this heist game, so maybe keep your suggestions aimed unrealistically low so we don't all die in the first room. :smith:

Man, people have gotten LAZY over the centuries. Nobody expects a thief who can phase through doors made of lead and iron.

Pulling off the baddest heist in 200 years is how you set the TONE. Then go UP from there. Rob heaven. Raid hell.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

urge to play mole lunar rising

In my 2e game we've started adding Evocations.

Earth-Shaping Stone + Evocations = swim through mountains and occasionally be the Kool-Aid Man

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Bedlamdan posted:

What if you were really, really good at your Supernal, and then just good at your favored abilities?

This is the hill Ferrinus will die on.

Hell, even in games with Supernal I often try to start with a Stone of Glory just so I can have TWO abilities where I break the rules. Especially if I'm a non-supernal Martial Artist and the form charm is E2.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ithle01 posted:

edit: I favor an approach that makes Solar PCs feared and respected out of the gate and really hate the existence of badass elder NPCs with their high-powered gimmicks so obviously my views are a bit far off from the norm.

Actually, this is an excellent point.

No villain is going to run around murdering new celestials without a care because there's a chance, no matter how slim, that any fresh Exalt might have a skillset that could kill them. It gives villains a reason to be cautious and careful, since even Kojack Carjack has a nonzero chance of getting wiped out by a fresh Dawn, or getting social mojo'd by a fresh Zenith, or being trapped by a Twilight deathtrap, or... you follow.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

But they can't excel at it. I always appreciated that in prior editions the Dawn wasn't actually "the fighter" because A) a Dawn could additionally excel at sorcery or stealth or something and B) I could make a Zenith paladin or Night knife-fighter or something and not be clearly and obviously inferior to the "real" fighter when it came to an important aspect of my character.

Right, Dawns were WORSE at being the fighter because you weren't rewarded for having more than one Dawn ability.

Then they brought out the Dawn Solution, which made Dawns better at fighting than everyone else if they wanted to be, something no other caste could do with spending a lot of their Favored resources, and even then the Dawn still had advantages in their anima

The problems you complain about with Supernal (particularly re:combat) were very much alive in 2e, your argument only works if you forget that.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 27, 2016

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Opportunity costs trump everything else the end. -Ferrinus

We get that this is the hill you want to die on but holy cow you yammer on.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

That's what I thought.

You are literally complaining that instead of 10 silver stars to put on your character sheet you get 9 silver stars and one gold.

You can *still* pick Favored abilities that make you suddenly able to steal worship from the gods themselves and smite experienced Dragonblooded. That didn't go away. There have been oodles of people talking about how you can take a handful of charms in [Area] and suddenly be scarily competent in [area].

But now you can look at all the powers at chargen and say "Hey, I really want my character to do this one [Awesome high Essence Thing]" and do it at chargen instead of being basicaly turned down flat by RAW.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

The Supernal Ability's good or bad regardless of whether the Dawn Caste exists, it's just everyone's arguments about Solars always revolve around the Dawn Caste because Exalted fans are split between people who want to beat you up and people who are paralytically afraid of being beaten up.

If Supernal was instead replaced by some kind of interestingly thematic boost to anima banners, to the point where each caste was not just a little bit, but unmistakably better at their Caste Things than the other castes, would it still be this divisive?

I don't mind a little niche reinforcement.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I enjoyed playing a super-honorable Knight who served Malfeas using Nuclear Fire in a game. It was fun.

I'm in a mixed game (mostly Solars) as a Kimbery Infernal, and have brought in a 4-dot Slayer ally who is immensely popular with the rest of the table. He just wants to find his family and crush the realm(for kidnapping his family) while also leaving rad infrastructure that glorifies the Yozis in his wake (his Urge). He's a better hero than some of the Solars, to be honest.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

True, but what does he do after he finds his family and/or brings down the Realm?

That'd be something to figure out between myself and the GM, but he probably wouldn't embrace the reclaimation.

As it stands, the realm is in mid-collapse in my game, so he'll probably end up leaving it to die while defending the SouthEast against other nasty incursions, or maybe go back to Hell and build gigantic spires to provide accupressure to Malfeas. Dude needs to unclench.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

So the book is still riddled with flaws?

BOY I HOPE THEY FEEL GOOD ABOUT NOT LETTING THEIR FANS BETA TEST THE TEXT! BOY HOWDY!

At least they fixed the skintone thing so there are now Brown people in Creation.

And Chompy 2.0 is pretty great.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 20, 2016

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

What is this stupid Hamilton poo poo you turds keep talking about

Back in your cage old man.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Roadie posted:

At this rate I'm pretty sure that literally every splat will have multiple fan-made versions before any of the splatbooks even come out in the first place.

Hopefully the developers sully their Pure Shining Vision by taking inspiration from those versions.

But they probably won't.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Just hanging out with my Hellpig familiar.

Thanks, goon patron!

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

You're welcome. If that's in Denver it may have been the very place I got the idea from.

Bingo! Visited last weekend.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

I feel like "teaching people science" is probably the easiest part of advancing a community's technology level by centuries at a stroke.

Nah, it's 'reshaping the society's mores to deal with polychronicity and an obsession with exacting precision that doesn't make sense in an agrarian society.

"Heat steel for exactly 13.2 minutes in the precision-temperature forge and then strike it 27 times with 600N of force" doesn't make any sense for a blacksmith who's used to highly variable fuel, oxygen input, and iron quality. Much more important to understand the esoteric feel of the blacksmithing process, since you will never be able to nail down every variable.

Ditto with farming, or herding, or many other things.

Here's a neat article on how Hawaiians manage both styles of living: http://larissiscosmopolitanlife.blogspot.com/2015/01/monochronic-and-polychronic-cultures.html

I can't find the article, but I recall a story about someone trying to invigorate a middle-eastern town with a soap-making startup, using locally-sourced herbs and goat's milk. It described how the entrepreneur was exhausting themselves trying to keep their employees from putting finished product just anywhere (instead of on the specific shelf for that product) or keeping them from putting substandard product in with the good quality stuff (because, hey, maybe they could foist that off on someone who was shite at haggling) and so on. Actually instructing the employees on making the soap was the easy part.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Dammit Who? posted:

What? The first part of your post talks about how it's hard to teach agrarian people science because they don't like measuring things, but this part says actually they can learn science just fine, but they will resist doing dumb nonsense for no reason.

Nowhere did I say people 'don't like measuring things', I said it didn't make SENSE to measure things in a way that *does* make sense for more precise metallurgy with more predictable inputs.

If you HAVE those predictable inputs, it's *not* dumb nonsense. The difference between getting a specific and necessary grade of steel out of an industrial forge and getting hot garbage depends on all those measurements and all that precision. But all those vital skills like 'feeling it out' that were necessary become a liability when you're working with, say, Boron Steel instead of a much less scientific range of metals we can call "sword-grade" steel.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, Plan A hasn't been working out either.

I have some high hopes for Scion 2e.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

A maxed-out Gnomon makes you into a loving beast if you're a Sid or Solar. All you gotta do is get 15+ Initiative, win JB, and then immediately use Step Between Seconds to smack the gently caress out of your foe with a decisive attack. With the repurchase, you don't reset to base if you do a decisive while using the charm, and if you successfully make a 15+ decisive attack, Drowning in Moments resets Step Between Seconds. So you basically can make 15+ Initiative decisive attacks all loving day on any foe that's unfortunate and has no Perfect Dodge or Parry charm, and then follow those attacks up with Withering attacks to get your Initiative even higher. Comboing it with White Reaper, which has a bunch of decisive damage boosters, is a nice way to kill every last motherfucker in the room.

Alright.

Point The First: That sounds Rad As Hell.

Point The Second: I think all of us want to avoid unstoppable combos or anything that makes combat too Samey.

So, with your points in mind, would you change anything about the staff or what would you do as a GM to break up the character's funky flow?

-----

That peach capstone is rad as hell. It looks like there's some mechanical effect that is clipped, but I'm a big fan of any evocations that don't simply add combat stats.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

That Awareness charm says you can hear through any earthen or wooden material but then it's just an earth charm, what the heck.

I think the implication is that all wood is very dusty in the age of Sorrows.

----

Edit: I hope we see rules for custom expansions so you can have old water blooded Hermits aware of everything that happens around a Hot Springs or along a rive. Or fill the ranks of your army with soldiers of mud and swamp water.

Also, do Dragon Blood of the appropriate type get discounts or some kind of bonus?

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 26, 2017

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

GenCon event tickets went on sale today.

Not a single Exalted game.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

I think the disdain of Yu-Shan dwellers for Dragon-bloods goes all the way back to 1e, actually, but 2e made it worse with the dumb Creation Ruling Mandate literally weaving "Celestials rule, Dragon-bloods serve" into the fabric of every god. Glad that the Mandate probably won't return for 3e.

I mean, my Heroic Infernal had a field day with that, running around heaven disguising myself as a solar and using SWLIHN charms to turn corrupt deities into god-robots enslaved to their divine purpose as a threat against the bureaucracy, claiming that mandate to excuse all my actions in between bouts of hiding from Lytek...

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Stallion Cabana posted:

In the same way that apparently several people demanded sail charms to let their boat fly because they were doing it to show Hatewheel how dumb it was to make Exalted sailing actually about boats.

In a world with at least three canonical airship navies and aerial corps on top of that.

Does War only apply to troops marching on ground, too?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Stallion Cabana posted:

You're supposed to treat Airships as normal ships, which is what the new devs have said to do in their thread if I recall correctly.

That bit, right there, is Good and Dandy.

From your prior comment I interpreted that the old Debvs made it so that sail charms would only explicitly work on watercraft and no other kind of vehicle.

Which would be dumb as hell, if so, and exactly the kind of nonsense I came to expect of them by the time 3e actually reached print, ergo my snark.

As a related aside.
Airship specific charms sound way TOO specific, in my view. You could have a charm that helped mobility in moving from vehicle to vehicle regardless of whether you were leaping/swinging across air, water, or flowing sand, and that wpulld be rad.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Oh, gotta ask, anyone got a good link to some 3e antagonists besides the book? Suitable to fresh characters.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Infernals are awesome.

Playing an infernal who was trying to be heroic but equipped with an increasingly corrosive powerset was one of my favorite exalted play experiences.

Solar can train up a cult of elite soldiers? Ok, I can create an entire sub race of Awakened Essence Warriors who breed true at E3.

You are a Master with a bow? I can shoot poison with my eyes.

You can sway the crowds and speak to the heart of the populist? I can reach into the city God and make them do their loving job, and I don't need to bribe them or kowtow to do it.

The Infernal excellencies were more like a fate aspects than solar excellencies, and I enjoyed that game of trying to bring a conflict into your field of expertise, or cherry flavor an encounter just so in order to unleash something amazing.

Add in heretical charms, and you open up a whole new Realms of possibility. If I master the charms of Malfeas and the charms of she who lives in her name, what might come about as a hybridization of command, Fury, and fractal complexity?

And perhaps more important than that, the infernal power tree involves selling your soul for power. The transhumanist charms represent changes to yourself that you cannot undo, trading pieces of yourself in ways you can never correct.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 22, 2017

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Dammit Who? posted:

Craftsman Needs No Tools is just rad in general. Build a cabin by kicking trees in half.

Yeah, if there is a charm that enables cool narrative power, but does not necessarily engage with the whole magical crafting subsystem, it is that.

My solar with that charm visualized it as gigantic Golden Hands, that he would manipulate to dig a lake in a single day by scooping out the Earth, or clap his hands together to collapse a tunnel, etc.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

MuscaDomestica posted:

Used suspicious edits for some of the more impressive things like baking a cake or demand cutting. Levitation and things knitting themselves together to be more of an Infernal thing.

medicine/poisons involved shoving it in ones mouth chewing then spitting it out.

It was also used to speed-brew high quality hooch.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

, and won't be hyper-optimized the way some players will make their characters (with all their powers pointed at a single ability), but it should give a good sense for the system.

Plus, the scenario was a lot of fun to run, when I ran it for my friends.

E: It is, I should note, a little atypical for Exalted as I play it. It's a closed system, the PCs are intentionally stuck in a way that forces them to make some moderately hard choices, and it's meant to be a bit of a mistake rather than Destiny or Past Lives that brings them there. That being said, it's also a fun story that ends with the players walking away with a bunch of legendary weapons and having either treated with or smashed an imposing demon.

I used the pre-gens in a gencon game, and while they are weaker, they each have niches where they shine in very easily-conveyable ways.

I also heavily discourage single-purpose builds, so they make a decent example:
This is an icewalker sorcerer, who is also ok at melee and scouting.

This is a ninja djala, who is good at stealth, but also good at thrown and athletics.

And so forth. I like to direct my players to pick 1 primary and 2 secondary skillsets, one of which should be combat.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Stallion Cabana posted:

I was disappointed by a story that, to me, was nigh-impenetrable to read, had 1 dimensional characters that it was claimed 3E was getting away from, and generally didn't inspire me.

I am a Jenna Moran fanboy, but with that grain of salt taken... 1-dimensional?

Like, ok, not a lot of page count to work with but all the characters except the Sidereal were human, interesting, had gripes and micro-histories and fought but weren't just killing machines.

And it indicated in broad strokes this magical world that was SO MUCH BIGGER than the story and had giant mythic things happen... but still had import in the human stories.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like at the very least you should have to grow a vine out of a table using sunlight glinting off your fingernails; you can't just wave your hands and infuse the water with grapeness.

It's a Craft Charm; what you're doing has to be in some way justifiable as a crafting project, even if it's one you do with bullshit fancy magic.

The handful of grapes was already stated.

I have 100% made quick-beer with Craftsman Needs No Tools.

I made pots out of mud, paper seals out of swamp grass, and speed-brewed beer using some local water and grain. Then we had a drunken fae-muddled hot springs episode.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, yeah, with pots and paper. The only example of the "turn water to wine" trick so far is "distort the flow of time," which CnnT probably can't do.

It's crafting.
Raw materials into finished product.
CnnT speeds crafting.

http://theweek.com/articles/463659/how-use-chemistry-age-whiskey-days-instead-years.

Grapes into wine or Wheat into beer isn't "water into wine"
Don't be a killjoy.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 24, 2017

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

EthanSteele posted:

Carving perfect cuts of meat from an animal with your karate chops and then cooking it by punching it or holding it between your palms in prayer or using the power of the unbroken sun that courses through you to grill it perfectly on your splayed fingers or placing it on your daiklave like a George Foreman or blowing on it gently as if to cool it off but instead where your breath touches it it becomes cooked all sound like pretty reasonable ways to use Needs No Tools to cook a thing.

I briefly misread part of that as "placing it on your forehead" and was laughing at somebody cooking meat with their caste mark.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

slut chan posted:

I'm personally surprised the withering/ decisive split didn't catch on.

It's really only just a layer of obfuscation away from generate free aspect invokes then murder a la FATE, but that always seemed perfunctory, while jockeying for initiative can actually be dramatic and fun.

Final Fantasy Opera Omnia has a similar mechanic as well!

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

I do love the Mystery Plays in Mage, but I still think that the choice of the gods being shaped more like a person (a very strange and hallowed person) choosing their champion fits better with the Bronze Age model of Exalted.

One thing I don't love about Glorantha is that while it's deeply concerned with creating Bronze Age societies, it's not actually concerned with creating a cosmology that looks anything like any Bronze Age society's conception of the universe. God Time is a fascinating idea but it's an extremely 20th Century Mythography way of understanding Bronze Age societies, rather than an attempt to recreate one culture's image of the world. It's Zeus-as-metaphorical-structure rather than Zeus-as-god-people-believe-in, while Exalted (obviously not as mythographically complex) just says 'ok, the god exists as an entity that oversees the part of reality they are held to oversee.' It's not as clever a structure, nor does it allow for multiple contradictory cosmologies to be simultaneously true the way Glorantha sort of does, so it does away with that kind of cosmological relativism across cultures - but ancient cultures weren't really relativist, as far as I'm aware. Glorantha's not syncretist, it's actually fully relativist, which is pretty cool, but that's not what I want out of Bronze Age fantasy, I'm afraid.

I mean, Henotheism, polytheism, and straight up borrowing gods and smooshing mythologies together were all pretty common in the bronze age, could you unpack a little bit more what you mean?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

I would say the difference here is that there is a much clearer and wilder hierarchy of intrinsic power. This is not the same as moral worth. It also cuts both ways: a river-spirit did not somehow rob the nearby peasants of their produce by existing and having six magic Charms and a bejeweled palace under a particularly dramatic rock. A Dragon-blood did not take the power of the Terrestrial Exaltation from the Threshold states (although she may well have taken her wealth, loot, retainers, etc.)

I don't think a lot of Exalted text engages with this. Like, it's legitimately an unusual thing and I think it plays weirdly with the ethical standards we have for real life for this reason, because in real life nearly all things you could term "powers" derive either from social/economic power (rarely anything near fair) or technology and skill, which are in principle transferable.

In my last game I had a "heroic" Infernal trying to figure out how to protect large swathes of Creation with poison and mutations.

He proposed a cult with a ritual that would mutate humans into essence-wielding fish people with a minor compulsion to protect Creation. Permanently augment large swathes of humanity with mutations that would breed true over time.

Cue the screaming match between him and the rest of the (Solar/Lunar) party over whether this was morally more right than let every village they save be destroyed by the next band of raiders who swept into the power vacuum.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Isn't there a rule that you can't "undo" a working, simply cancel the mechanical effects?

So if you turn someone into a frog and someone else tries to turn them back into a human... what kind of side-effects would there be?

A human who still needs to eat flies now and then? A human who turns into a frog on Calibration?

Because I've been reading the Witcher books, could you make a Working with a trigger condition on reversal? True Love's Kiss or When I Say So or When The Kingdom Falls?

Or, more generally, I kind of want a Creation that has some Witcher influence, like all kinds of curses and spells with strange arcane ways of undoing them, like spending all night in a Striga's tomb to uncurse her, or sharing a meal with a horrible creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think everyone is on your side? Some are being way more simulationist than I think is a good idea with this, I agree, but pretty much everyone is saying 'terrestrial workings should 100% do this thing' and have moved on to... arguing about turning people into frogs? I guess that's what we're doing now?

Yep.

Transition should be as hard as the Player wants, but RAW T2 seems sufficient.

I brought up frogs as a more personal and small scale quandary of "how do contrary workings interact?"

Big Example:
This trade route has magically favorable water currents but spirits gently caress with all boats who try to sail it. 2 contrary workings, end result =0.

Small/personal example: Frog and CounterFrog working.