Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lysol douching was supposed to prevent pregnancy but they couldn’t just come out and say that.

It says something about society of the time that “your stinky vagina is ruining your marriage” was an acceptable ad to run, but it was mostly cover for the real purpose of the product.

It didn’t work well and caused many women complications. :ssh:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But it did give vaginas an invigorating pine scent!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nessus posted:

My impression is that it was closer to the equivalent of two or three beers or glasses of wine, but spread out throughout the day, which likely also included more heavy physical labor than we're used to. So I imagine that was just like the typical dose and someone who had a reaction like you did would be considered Sickly and might possibly end up a cooper or something.

People also probably had a lot more tolerance for other people looking sweaty etc. - my grandfather once told me a story, probably at least somewhat exaggerated, about how in his lifetime he saw the invention of Body Odor. Not in the sense that people started smelling bad when they were sweaty in 1939 or something, but rather that before a certain point it was just: Yeah, it's summer or whatever. It's gonna smell like a goat locker on the subway. Get on with your life. But then they had the idea to convince people they were being judged and the solution was to buy a product... "And that, little Nessus, is why you're spending five dollars a month on a perfume block."

People have found that levels of consumption could be up to 9 or 10 drinks per day, but they were spread out from sunrise to sunset so you weren't getting blitzed. At the absolute peak of US consumption, it was 7.1 gallons per person per year (or just over 17 fluid ounces a week, almost an entire 750ml bottle).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I found a contract from 1831 where one of my ancestors sold his farm to another dude, with the condition that he could live in a house on the property until his death. Also he was to be supplied with a liter of brandy and "a half quart" of dipping tobacco per week. Not sure what unit tobacco was usually measured in, but it can't have been the same as butter cause that would make out to 14 kilograms.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Carthag Tuek posted:

I found a contract from 1831 where one of my ancestors sold his farm to another dude, with the condition that he could live in a house on the property until his death. Also he was to be supplied with a liter of brandy and "a half quart" of dipping tobacco per week. Not sure what unit tobacco was usually measured in, but it can't have been the same as butter cause that would make out to 14 kilograms.

idk man, as a southerner I've definitely seen people who go through a pint of tobacco a week

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
1kg in your mouth, 1kg up your butt. Per day. Doesn't sound impossible.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
If I ever get a change to time travel I would travel to a victorian London. To get a feeling how that place would have smelled.

Booming industry, coal heating, animals living among people, people who don't ready access to running water and bathing, no washing machines.

It must have been sort of miasma we can't even imagine today.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

perhaps they just liked killing people

Pyramids of skulls doesn't build themselves.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Fish of hemp posted:

If I ever get a change to time travel I would travel to a victorian London. To get a feeling how that place would have smelled.

Booming industry, coal heating, animals living among people, people who don't ready access to running water and bathing, no washing machines.

You could just go check out any major third-world city today and get the same effect. I hear that Bangladesh is pretty good for making you feel p. drat guilty about your own quality of life :smith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Peanut President posted:

idk man, as a southerner I've definitely seen people who go through a pint of tobacco a week

14kg is a lot more than a pint tho

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carthag Tuek posted:

14kg is a lot more than a pint tho

Yeah but butter is way more dense than tobacco. I know ye olde measurements aren't standardized but 1 pint (half a quart) of water is only ~500 grams

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh right, gotcha. Yea it must some kind of volume, not weight.

Can't be barrel (130-some liters). Imma try look through the old bookshelves

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah by volume that's a lot of tobacco but not like, preposterous quantities. By weight, yes, one would imagine he wouldn't have that house for long.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Looks like the 1683 laws mandated solids (grain) to be sold in barrels of 139 liters and fluids (beer) in barrels of 131 liters. Later on, "butter, soap, blubber" and such were standardized at 111 kilo barrels. Tobacco isn't mentioned, but in either case, an eighth of a barrel would be a whole lot! These numbers are rounded off cause I'm lazy.

However, contemporary tobacco advertisements in newspapers only seem to mention pounds & foustages. So who knows.

quote:

This, by many Tobacco-connoisseurs, for its goodness as well as its in relation thereto very favorable price (that is 16 mark per Foustage of 6 pounds net), enjoyed tobacco, whereof plentiful is sold daily, even lately to many farmers who prefer it over the to weak chests harmful so-called Dutch rolling tobacco, I permit myself to recommend, adding that I have seen myself capable of improving same, because of the immense sales volume that it enjoys. — Besides a printed certificate showing its ingredients, the Foustage is also imprinted with my seal in red lacquer, and also the authorized stamp of the factory is included in the Foustages.

I hope my ancestor didn't get the inferior Dutch tobacco!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

oh half quarter *barrels* of tobacco uhhh yeah your ancestor was either selling it to make money or was a loving human smokehouse

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Was tobacco produced on the farm? It could have been his share of the production.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe your ancestor was like Blackbeard, but instead of keeping burning fuses in his beard, it was stogies.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

oh half quarter *barrels* of tobacco uhhh yeah your ancestor was either selling it to make money or was a loving human smokehouse

it was dippin baccy, not smokin' baccy

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fish of hemp posted:

I'm sure it was quite gnarly, generally, but apparently the summer of 1858 was on a whole 'nother level:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

CleverHans posted:

I'm sure it was quite gnarly, generally, but apparently the summer of 1858 was on a whole 'nother level:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink

quote:

Gentility of speech is at an end—it stinks, and whoso once inhales the stink can never forget it and can count himself lucky if he lives to remember it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Peanut President posted:

well tht's the question... it just says "one half quart"... but yeah barrels are unlinkely so it was probably 1/8 lbs

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Fish of hemp posted:

You don't have to go that far back to experience horrible miasmas in London. Just go back to the winter of 1952: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1886 South Africa passed a law protecting the quagga from hunting. The last known quagga had died in 1883.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One of the most effective laws in history, not a single quagga has been hunted since it passed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Modern History TV is a youtube channel with a charming British fellow doing quick 5-10 minute bits on how people used to live in the medieval period.

One of the episodes which youtube just radomly recommended to me was about hoods. Now that sounds like the least interesting thing in the world, but it covered the origins of the chaperon, which the more astute nerds will recognise as the incredibly stupid looking hat worn by Roche in the Witcher series.

The less astute nerds, like myself, will simply be astounded that it was a real loving hat people actually wore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XvEK6d9hEM

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jun 4, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Modern History TV is a youtube channel with a charming British fellow doing quick 5-10 minute bits on how people used to live in the medieval period.

One of the episodes which youtube just radomly recommended to me was about hoods. Now that sounds like the least interesting thing in the world, but it covered the origins of the chaperon, which the more astute nerds will recognise as the incredibly stupid looking hat worn by Roche in the Witcher series.

The less astute nerds, like myself, will simply be astounded that it was a real loving hat people actually wore.

It is also the origin of the word "chaperone", because you'll never get laid while wearing that dumb hat.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wikipedia on the chaperon has this delightful section

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I got to wear a "medieval" (can't speak to the authenticity) cloak and hood out in the freezing snow once and I honestly kind of preferred it to modern coats and hats. It keeps you as warm but you get a lot more cloth, to bundle wherever feels really cold, or to decorate it if you could commission one, or to throw more cloth around a bit of you just to mime that you're cold, or whatever. Just loads more freedom but the same warmth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There were a bunch of palace guards in the Witcher games that people said looked completely insane, and that no guards would ever look like that... that were directly patterned on the Vatican Swiss Guard. The costume stuff in those games rules.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah, Jason is pretty awesome. Took his sniper elite and judge dredd money and decided it'd be fun to do history videos on YouTube

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There were a bunch of palace guards in the Witcher games that people said looked completely insane, and that no guards would ever look like that... that were directly patterned on the Vatican Swiss Guard. The costume stuff in those games rules.

From what I hear of the books, GRRM actually understood that rich assholes loved gaudy colors. Show, despite having great costumes, was a lot duller in color it seemed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah for most of human history, dyes were extremely expensive & so having dyed clothes were a way to signal wealth.

Reminds me that there was at times a tax on owning wigs in Denmark in the 16-1700s, since they were also a pretty sure signifier of wealth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

From what I hear of the books, GRRM actually understood that rich assholes loved gaudy colors. Show, despite having great costumes, was a lot duller in color it seemed.

Mercenaries in some countries were excluded from sumptuary laws and encouraged to dress as garishly as possible.

https://www.artic.edu/exhibitions/2505/landsknechte-foot-soldiers-of-fashion

It's why Landskcencht troops looked like someone stumbled through Liberace's closet in the dark.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah for most of human history, dyes were extremely expensive & so having dyed clothes were a way to signal wealth.

Reminds me that there was at times a tax on owning wigs in Denmark in the 16-1700s, since they were also a pretty sure signifier of wealth.

Wealth, syphilis -- either one leads to madness.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Carthag Tuek posted:

Worth mentioning that only applies to certain dyes, there's quite a few that can be made rather cheaply, though the colors aren't as vivid or varied

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

canyoneer posted:

It is also the origin of the word "chaperone", because you'll never get laid while wearing that dumb hat.

Weirdly it seems the answer is that yes, a chaperone in the sense of accompanying someone to protect them, is named after the medieval hat, because a hat protected your head.
English is goddamned weird like that.
There's also a load of words in English that all stem from the latin word 'caput' meaning 'head, top' and they get quite esoteric. The word chapel is middle English derived from Old French chapele, from medieval Latin cappella, diminutive of cappa ‘cap or cape’ because the first chapel was a sanctuary in which St Martin's cloak was preserved.

I listen to the History of English podcast and nearly every episode has me amazed at where a word can come from.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Helith posted:

Weirdly it seems the answer is that yes, a chaperone in the sense of accompanying someone to protect them, is named after the medieval hat, because a hat protected your head.
English is goddamned weird like that.
There's also a load of words in English that all stem from the latin word 'caput' meaning 'head, top' and they get quite esoteric. The word chapel is middle English derived from Old French chapele, from medieval Latin cappella, diminutive of cappa ‘cap or cape’ because the first chapel was a sanctuary in which St Martin's cloak was preserved.

I listen to the History of English podcast and nearly every episode has me amazed at where a word can come from.

A fun game I like to play is looking up words on etymonline dot com to see which English words I can find with the most obscure roots outside of the standard French/Latin/Germanic. Fun ones I have found so far are trousers (Gaelic), haggard (unknown, pos. Finnish term for an old horse via Danish or Dutch), yoghurt (Turkish), kudos (Greek), and harridan (French, unknown origin, possibly just referred to one specific person that people really didn't like).

On a similar note, I'm also studying German at the moment and it's interesting how, in line with the scale of German immigration to the US, how many of the differences between US and UK English involve US English having more commonalities with German. E.g. use of words like "kaput", "gerkin" instead of "courgette", more widespread use of "auto-" when referring to cars (.e.g. "auto industry").

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Along those lines I like the many English words of Hindi origin. Some are of little surprise like jungle or khaki, but others are more surprising like loot, pundit, thug, and juggernaut (an interesting one which comes from Jagannath, a form of the god Vishnu). Wonder how those entered the English language :iiam:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Along those lines I like the many English words of Hindi origin. Some are of little surprise like jungle or khaki, but others are more surprising like loot, pundit, thug, and juggernaut (an interesting one which comes from Jagannath, a form of the god Vishnu). Wonder how those entered the English language :iiam:

I don't think it's much of a mystery how thug entered the English language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee_and_Dacoity_Suppression_Acts,_1836%E2%80%9348

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Bungalow is another one, being just an adaption of Bengali, as in "a Bengali style house". The folk etymology of it being a shortening of "bung a low roof on the building" is a lot better though imo. Do Americans call them Bungalows? The only one-story small suburban houses I know of in the US are shotgun houses.