Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

On the 9th of april 1940 german forces invaded Norway. The whole operation was a huge clusterfuck on both side. When the government learned about the invasion they decided on a partial military mobilization, the problem is that the rules for that was that the summoning of the reserve forces was done by mail. Which would mean that the brigades would be ready two days after the invasion. Norway didn't even know who was behind the invasion because both Germany and the UK had ships in Norway's waters. Then a minor airbase got permission to surrender to the german forces, but because of a mistake every airbase got the order of surrender. Luckily not every colonel obeyed orders. On the military base on Oscarsborg Birger Eriksen readied the canons called "Aaron" and "Moses". When he saw the german ship Blücher he said "Either I will be decorated, or I will be court-martialed. Fire!" Blücher sank and 1000 german soldiers was killed. After the war Eriksen was decorated with the Norwegian War Cross with Sword, French Croix de guerre and Légion d'honneur.

When the german planes flew over the main airport in Norway it was too cloudy for the paratroopers to jump, only one plane decided to go ahead. Norway's air force consisted of biplanes but they proved to be effective against the more modern airplanes. They managed to shoot down two Messerschmitts and tow bombers. The german planes only managed to destroy the norwegian biplanes when they landed in order to get more ammunition. One junker plane saw the flaming wrecks and though that it meant that the paratroopers had secured the airport. Just when unker started the landing anti aircraft guns fired at it and the pilot was killed. Germany had essentially lost the battle when a Messerschmitt performed an emergency landing on the airport and started shooting. The airport was secured and the german transport planes could land safely.

The last military base to surrender was Hegra Fortress who surrendered on may 5th. Part of the reason why it withheld for so long was that the german forces was caught in a blizzard and shot each other during an attack. The german lost 150 soldiers and an airplane, the norwegian defenders lost six soldiers.

imo what Eriksen said prior to the court marshal line should also be mentioned. Apparently a soldier asked him if they were going for real & he said "Visst fanden skal der skytes med skarpt!" I've always found it hard translating subtleties so I go with literal:

"Sure as the devil, we're using live rounds" [with a tone of "wtf did you expect"]

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wheeling out museum pieces is pretty standard in wartime when every gun counts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Samovar posted:

I've got a doozy for you all. Back in the days when electricity was a new-fangled thing, it's effect on biological tissues was famously observed when Alessandro Volta passed an electrical current through frog legs, which caused them to twitch.

This lead, not surprisingly, to people thinking that electricity had some kind of inherent, life-giving quality (see Frankenstein, etc.) and so further experimentation was carried out. One thing that was noted was that if pain was easily stimulated by electrical currents, and so one Prussian scientist, Alexander von Humboldt, reached a reasonable hypothesis that maybe if a nerve was stimulated to a sufficient amount, it could be numbed.

Now, unlike many other scientists of the time (and not), Humboldt was willing to experiment upon himself. So, in order to see if electricity could be used as some kind of a local anaesthetic, he decided to put an electrical current through himself.

Specifically, through an exposed nerve from a freshly pulled out-tooth.

We don't have any records of what he SAID after this experiment, only that the pain receded after two days.

Give me the bone hurting juice and turn it all the way up!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Platystemon posted:

The century-and-a-half-old guns at Malta and Gibraltar could propel a one-ton shell beyond the speed of sound.

Development in armor and especially armaments rendered it obsolete against later warships, but what a thing to be hit by.

I'm sorry, this might just be me not understanding military terminology, but
Guns produced ca 1800 were able to propel a piece of metal weighing 2000 pounds to a hypersonic velocity?
Is there a convenient place I can read up on this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Silly Newbie posted:

Guns produced ca 1800 were able to propel a piece of metal weighing 2000 pounds to a hypersonic velocity?

Produced in the eighteen seventies, in service in the eighteen eighties. I rounded a little.

Have a video tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKmi0PN7LxM

I myself thought “WTF is Wikipedia wrong on this one? Doesn’t black powder have serious limitations on velocity that forced everyone into using heavier rounds moving slower?”

But apparently mach one point four was doable.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The wrecking of the Blücher also happened extremely quickly. She was spotted at 04:20, the main shore battery fired at 04:21, and the torpedoes were fired at 04:30 and hit at 04:34.

So even though this movie sequence is condensed, it's not condensed that much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ79i11JSnU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The thing about artillery is if it hits it hits.

Yeah, the first high explosive round fired from "Moses" didn't actually explode, but it was still 345 kg of steel hitting Blücher's tower at a high velocity. The pressure wave alone was enough to kill everyone in the tower.

Arban posted:

The Torpedoes that actually sunk it where Whiteheads, aka the first torpedo ever designed.
The torpedoes were from 1901 and the only ones manning the batteries were students form the military school who were in the middle of a lesson when the call came. The commander in charge wasn't even sure the torpedoes would work when he pushed the button to launch them.

Carthag Tuek posted:

imo what Eriksen said prior to the court marshal line should also be mentioned. Apparently a soldier asked him if they were going for real & he said "Visst fanden skal der skytes med skarpt!" I've always found it hard translating subtleties so I go with literal:

"Sure as the devil, we're using live rounds" [with a tone of "wtf did you expect"]
Eriksen actually broke military law when he fired. He was supposed to fire a warning shot. Eriksen defended his action by saying that a fortress farther south in the fjord had fired a warning shot and that ship hadn't stopped.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 08:39 on Apr 10, 2021

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, the first high explosive round fired from "Moses" didn't actually explode, but it was still 345 kg of steel hitting Blücher's tower at a high velocity. The pressure wave alone was enough to kill everyone in the tower.

The torpedoes were from 1901 and the only ones manning the batteries were students form the military school who were in the middle of a lesson when the call came. The commander in charge wasn't even sure the torpedoes would work when he pushed the button to launch them.

IIRC the torpedo battery commander was also a pensioner who'd retired back in 1927 and had come back to help train the students at the request of the fort commander.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alhazred posted:

Lord I can only imagine the mess that would have left if the ship hadn't been blown up and sank mere minutes later

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC the torpedo battery commander was also a pensioner who'd retired back in 1927 and had come back to help train the students at the request of the fort commander.
The fortress was so understaffed that the fortress' cooks helped mann the cannons.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

Lord I can only imagine the mess that would have left if the ship hadn't been blown up and sank mere minutes later

I can’t imagine dealing with half a ton of UXO on a boat. I’m sure it happened a fair bit in WW2 and the damage control must have been terrifying.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can’t imagine dealing with half a ton of UXO on a boat. I’m sure it happened a fair bit in WW2 and the damage control must have been terrifying.

I meant more the chunky salsa the Nazis on that ship must have become from that pressure wave

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

It actually burned for a couple more hours before sinking, with the fires further detonating a magazine for the anti-aircraft guns and blowing another hole in the hull.

This was all compounded by a number of smaller guns also shooting up the ship at the same time, a secondary battery with smaller 15cm guns scored a number of hits that knocked out steering and firefighting systems.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drrockso20 posted:

I meant more the chunky salsa the Nazis on that ship must have become from that pressure wave
The technical term is "Hitler sauce."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Is it sparkling tho

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

It actually burned for a couple more hours before sinking, with the fires further detonating a magazine for the anti-aircraft guns and blowing another hole in the hull.

And according to the commander they all sang ‘Deutschland, Deutschland über alles’ while it sank.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Alhazred posted:

The torpedo battery was built in 1901 but it fired torpedoes designed earlier.

And while the guns were old, a 28 cm cannon at point blank is not something a cruiser wants to deal with.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arban posted:

The torpedo battery was built in 1901 but it fired torpedoes designed earlier.

And while the guns were old, a 28 cm cannon at point blank is not something a cruiser wants to deal with.

I was interested in how much better modern guns would have been, and compared Oscarborg's guns https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_cm_MRK_L/35 with more modern guns of the same caliber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/28_cm_SK_C/34_naval_gun. The modern guns' rate of fire was about 7 times faster, and their shells penetrated about twice as much. The older guns wouldn't have penetrated a modern battleship's belt, but for a cruiser it was more than enough. And they could have wrecked a battleship's bridge as easily as a cruiser's.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Momentum is what it is.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Platystemon posted:

Produced in the eighteen seventies, in service in the eighteen eighties. I rounded a little.

Have a video tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKmi0PN7LxM

I myself thought “WTF is Wikipedia wrong on this one? Doesn’t black powder have serious limitations on velocity that forced everyone into using heavier rounds moving slower?”

But apparently mach one point four was doable.

This is fantastic, thank you.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Silly Newbie posted:

This is fantastic, thank you.

If its an antique gun, there is a Gun Jesus video about it. :D

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Silly Newbie posted:

In addition to what others have said, he didnt state that it could shoot shells that were hypersonic, just that they broke the sound barrier.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arban posted:

The Blücher had been commisioned less then a year earlier

lol owned

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Roblo posted:

In addition to what others have said, he didnt state that it could shoot shells that were hypersonic, just that they broke the sound barrier.

Yeah, you are absolutely not getting hypersonic projectiles from a gun with conventional explosives, that’s basically railgun territory.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

What's the fastest time from commission to sinking for any warship that saw combat? In other words, I'm not counting that ridiculously top-heavy wooden ship that some (Scandinavian?) king commissioned that sank as soon as it launched.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's the fastest time from commission to sinking for any warship that saw combat? In other words, I'm not counting that ridiculously top-heavy wooden ship that some (Scandinavian?) king commissioned that sank as soon as it launched.

probably some submarine

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

That stupid dead ship you're thinking of would be the Gustav Vasa of Sweden. Tells you a lot about the swedes, eh

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That stupid dead ship you're thinking of would be the Gustav Vasa of Sweden. Tells you a lot about the swedes, eh

The only time teekkarit were funny.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Japanese aircraft carrier Shinano went a whole ten days from being commissioned to being sunk by a US submarine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

The Japanese aircraft carrier Shinano went a whole ten days from being commissioned to being sunk by a US submarine.

I hadn't realized that the Shinano was commissioned before she sank. I thought she was still a work in progress. 10 days is a pretty good time for this record, thanks!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Life is hard ok? And in moments of failure it's important to care for yourself and carry yourself through. You have worth. A small fault doesn't define you, you are beautiful.

There are more ships to sail on more oceans, and if they sink or blow up, so what, its a possession, you can build another. Haters hate #bebetter

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

vyelkin posted:

That whole class of ship was a disaster. There’s a reason the subtitle of the Milhist thread is/was “technically the Yamato helped defeat facism”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Vasa sunk in the exact right conditions to be well preserved so they raised up in mostly one piece centuries later and Stockholm has a museum where you can look at it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

i've built better boats in minecraft

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
There was that time the entire russian baltic fleet fought itself in the north sea while they were on their way to Japan in 1905? Some of those were probably new

e: The above is a fun historical fact I just remembered, and initially learned from this thread. Thanks, thread!

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Roblo posted:

I use big words gud.
Totally meant supersonic and brain farted, my bad.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Silly Newbie posted:

I use big words gud.
Totally meant supersonic and brain farted, my bad.

Just say "super duper". That works too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

There was that time the entire russian baltic fleet fought itself in the north sea while they were on their way to Japan in 1905? Some of those were probably new

e: The above is a fun historical fact I just remembered, and initially learned from this thread. Thanks, thread!

So what you're referring to is the Dogger Bank Incident, wherein ships of the Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron believed they sighted Japanese torpedo boats in the North Sea and began firing on everything in sight. What they actually saw was a bunch of fishing trawlers, but thanks to the fleet's unfathomably poor gunnery only one trawler was sunk and a handful of ships suffered damage. The incident is notable however for nearly precipitating a war between England and Russia, which was only narrowly avoided.

For anyone interested in the "Voyage of the Damned" and their eventual annihilation at Tsushima, these are a good pair of videos on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mdi_Fh9_Ag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXpj6nK5ylo&t=1s

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The Indians recently had to delay actually deploying a their first nuclear missile submarine for almost a year, because while doing tests dockside after it was commissioned they tried to dive with a hatch open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Indians recently had to delay actually deploying a their first nuclear missile submarine for almost a year, because while doing tests dockside after it was commissioned they tried to dive with a hatch open.

wait until you hear about polish submarines