Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

doverhog posted:

Norway and Sweden have a defense policy against Russian invasion: knowing they have to go through Finland (or east Sweden as it used to be called) first.

What do you think this border is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

doverhog posted:

Norway and Sweden have a defense policy against Russian invasion: knowing they have to go through Finland (or east Sweden as it used to be called) first.

These days we prefer to call it "ablative armor".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carbon dioxide posted:

Something something give Petsamo back to Finland!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Carbon dioxide posted:

Can you imagine any scenario in which Russia would invade through that spot which did not involve being at war with Finland first, or at least at the same time?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Finland just needs one good sniper to stop it

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The good news, for Russia, is that they could just sail around and avoid that while Finland thing.

The bad news, for Russia, is the Russian navy:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Same in Sweden, several bridges with cavities to fill with explosives. Also why there are surprisingly few bridges in northeastern Sweden, and the few east-west roads up there are kind of crappy and crooked, with many inclines and considerable stretches over moors. These roads had pipes drawn underneath them to be able to be filled with TNT and blown up, further delaying a potential soviet advance.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Falukorv posted:

Same in Sweden, several bridges with cavities to fill with explosives. Also why there are surprisingly few bridges in northeastern Sweden, and the few east-west roads up there are kind of crappy and crooked, with many inclines and considerable stretches over moors. These roads had pipes drawn underneath them to be able to be filled with TNT and blown up, further delaying a potential soviet advance.

Also positions for assault guns to be driven into, next to roads. They'd only have to shoot in one direction.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:50 on May 9, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Stridsvagn :hmmyes:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love that the Swedish defence doctrine in case of a full-scale Russian invasion from the sea used to be (still is?) pretty simple: just start driving all the Stridsvagn at the landing Russians as fast as you can and hope that there are many enough to stall the landing. Those things are extremely good at going forwards and shooting at things in front of them because that's their only role: either you stop the invasion or you get blown up from the air while trying. In either case there is no need for niceties like a turning turret. This in the optimistic case that thermonuclear warfare hasn't already broken out. Cold war was fun!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

rip Strv103, too good for this world :smith:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also positions for assault guns to be driven into, next to roads. They'd only have to shoot in one direction.

that thing looks like an assault gun but it's a tank

barbecue at the folks posted:

I love that the Swedish defence doctrine in case of a full-scale Russian invasion from the sea used to be (still is?) pretty simple: just start driving all the Stridsvagn at the landing Russians as fast as you can and hope that there are many enough to stall the landing. Those things are extremely good at going forwards and shooting at things in front of them because that's their only role: either you stop the invasion or you get blown up from the air while trying. In either case there is no need for niceties like a turning turret. This in the optimistic case that thermonuclear warfare hasn't already broken out. Cold war was fun!

it wasn't quite as silly as it sounded. su didn't have that many landing capable units, so it could have been possible for sweden to stop the invasion if they threw all of their mechanized units, navy, and airforce against it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

By any definition of assault gun that has ever been used, it's an assault gun.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

By any definition of assault gun that has ever been used, it's an assault gun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's a tank alignment chart, not an assault gun alignment chart.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ChubbyChecker posted:

it wasn't quite as silly as it sounded. su didn't have that many landing capable units, so it could have been possible for sweden to stop the invasion if they threw all of their mechanized units, navy, and airforce against it

The Strv103 was also capable of driving as quickly in reverse as it would driving forwards, so it was capable of doing a fighting retreat from one prepared defensive position to another. It’s a really cool assault gun tank destroyer tank.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's a tank alignment chart, not an assault gun alignment chart.

I think you will find that it is actually a tank destroyer

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The Strv 103 was a tank, not an assault gun or tank destroyer; https://tanks.mod16.org/2016/08/19/stridsvagn-103-was-not-a-tank-destroyer/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ensign Expendable posted:

I think you will find that it is actually a tank destroyer

i wonder, does the 151 km long road refer to a specific event?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carthag Tuek posted:

i wonder, does the 151 km long road refer to a specific event?

The average Panther tank’s transmission life was 150km.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Impressive

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

The Strv 103 was a tank, not an assault gun or tank destroyer; https://tanks.mod16.org/2016/08/19/stridsvagn-103-was-not-a-tank-destroyer/

I'd make an argument that it's a mobilized pike formation, since it attacks at long range with a piece of long, sharp metal.
Oh, and it's amazing against horses, which pikes are as well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Would Wargaming do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

quote:

The Strv 103B is a Swedish tier 10 tank destroyer.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:S11_Strv_103B

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sir, I don't make any pretences about our odds of winning this discussion, but it's about Sweden and Finland fighting the Soviets in the cold war and if you think we'll ever give up you can go straight to hell.

It's a tank.

https://i.imgur.com/aCWTG1l.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnt6sxjUEEE

Relevant bit at 19m30s

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Should page that Swedish goon (thefluff) that hangs out in the scandi threads, he knows quite a bit about these tanks and I recall some past effort posts he made about the strv 103, its role, capabilities and under which doctrine it was planned for. Can’t remember if it was in one of the old military history or Cold War threads.

Anyway, from that it was solidly a tank.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 05:37 on May 10, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Falukorv posted:

Should page that Swedish goon (thefluff) that hangs out in the scandi threads, he knows quite a bit about these tanks and I recall some past effort posts he made about the strv 103, its role, capabilities and under which doctrine it was planned for. Can’t remember if it was in one of the old military history or Cold War threads.

Anyway, from that it was solidly a tank.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3872282&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post489549773

thanks for the batsignal :v:

TheFluff has a new favorite as of 06:55 on May 10, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This is the post I was half-remembering above, thank you for writing it!

e: I rediscovered this post about Swedish Radar MacGyver and it deserves to appear in this thread too since it is one of my favourite historical fun facts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3872282&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post489566959

barbecue at the folks has a new favorite as of 08:43 on May 10, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The average Panther tank’s transmission life was 150km.

And to the surprise of probably no one, actually repairing or replacing the transmission was a right pain in the rear end. You basically had to lift off a part of the hull roof armour at the front, remove the seats and various knicknacks inside, then get a crane powerful enough to lift the whole thing out of there vertically. Considering the opening is only barely larger than the transmission itself, that would be finicky and dangerous at the best of times, both going in and out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zguDtwk_Bs

Meanwhile, with the Sherman you could pretty much just pop it right off of the front from the outside:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Sir, I don't make any pretences about our odds of winning this discussion, but it's about Sweden and Finland fighting the Soviets in the cold war and if you think we'll ever give up you can go straight to hell.

It's a tank.

https://i.imgur.com/aCWTG1l.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnt6sxjUEEE

Relevant bit at 19m30s

drat that owns

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Perestroika posted:

And to the surprise of probably no one, actually repairing or replacing the transmission was a right pain in the rear end. You basically had to lift off a part of the hull roof armour at the front, remove the seats and various knicknacks inside, then get a crane powerful enough to lift the whole thing out of there vertically. Considering the opening is only barely larger than the transmission itself, that would be finicky and dangerous at the best of times, both going in and out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zguDtwk_Bs

Meanwhile, with the Sherman you could pretty much just pop it right off of the front from the outside:

how much did that bolted front armor weaken the shermans' protection

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

Doesn't matter, they made enough spares to replace the lost ones.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In Dmitry Loza's memoires, iirc, he talks about having to post guards on the lend-lease Shermans overnight in friendly territory because passing infantry units were keen on looting the leather from the interior to repair their boots.

Also, canadian units habitually stripped the .50 cals off their Shermans and used them in the infantry. If you look at photos of canadian troops you can see .50cals loving everywhere except on top of a Sherman.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

ChubbyChecker posted:

Not at all, it's casing is armor steel and is as thick as the rest of the frontal armor or thicker. You may shear off a bolt or two on an impact but there are more than enough of them for it not to matter.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not but does anyone have the quote from the guy visiting Constantinople and complaining about how he can't buy a loaf of bread without the baker getting in to a drawn out argument about whether the Son is equal to or subservient to the Father and Holy Spurit?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kafouille posted:

Not at all, it's casing is armor steel and is as thick as the rest of the frontal armor or thicker. You may shear off a bolt or two on an impact but there are more than enough of them for it not to matter.

didn't the early war riveted tank armors have all kinds of problems, why didn't sherman's bolted armor have them?

or was it just that the other tanks with riveted armor had much thinner and less round and sloped armor?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

doverhog posted:

Sweden's defense policy against Russian invasion is to allow them free passage into Norway and then sell them steel.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Sweden's defense policy against Russian invasion is to allow them free passage into Norway and then sell them steel.

Ah man you have changed it? I thought it was "join NATO while Finland is collapsing".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In Dmitry Loza's memoires, iirc, he talks about having to post guards on the lend-lease Shermans overnight in friendly territory because passing infantry units were keen on looting the leather from the interior to repair their boots.

Also, canadian units habitually stripped the .50 cals off their Shermans and used them in the infantry. If you look at photos of canadian troops you can see .50cals loving everywhere except on top of a Sherman.

The .50 cal on the early Shermans was installed directly above the only turret hatch, meaning that if you needed to bail out it got in everyone's way. The Soviets removed them as well in battle but liked to keep them installed when driving around, especially in the late stages of the war when rapid offensives quickly outran fighter cover.

ChubbyChecker posted:

The vertical cast bit in the front was significantly weaker than the upper front plate anyway, the bolts holding it on weren't a major detriment compared to that.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Kanine posted:

idk if its just because im an american who was raised fairly areligiously but the idea of people actually still giving a poo poo over whos catholic or whatever flavor of protestant or whatever in the year of our lord 2020 is absolutely insane nutso bonkers to me

I know this is 24 pages late, but I’m catching up on the thread. When one of my friend’s parents married in the mid-80s, the grandparents weren’t sure it would work out because they were just too different: Irish Catholic on his dad’s side and Italian Catholic on his mom’s. We grew up in San Jose, CA, notable hot spot for religious conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The North Tower posted:

I know this is 24 pages late, but I’m catching up on the thread. When one of my friend’s parents married in the mid-80s, the grandparents weren’t sure it would work out because they were just too different: Irish Catholic on his dad’s side and Italian Catholic on his mom’s. We grew up in San Jose, CA, notable hot spot for religious conflict.

lmao good lord, were there 600 people at that wedding