Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

They just didn't investigate poo poo back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hat crimes are nothing to laugh about.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

HEY GAL posted:

Nothing was eating the paper I think, that looks like normal wear/decay to me rather than insect activity, which has sharper edges and definite "paths"--wormy paper has the same tracks as wormy wood.

Black ink does not contain lead, it's made out of iron and oak galls; the iron and tannin in the ink doesn't tint the surface of the paper like other inks do but actually eats into the paper. It's black or blackish grey when you use it but in time will rust to brown, because of the iron.

As a penmanship/pen/writing nerd, there's something I find oddly beautiful about the way the paper has decayed around the writing.

Also that is some seriously nice script.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Speaking of contemporary first world country invasions don't forget the Falkland Islands war was a thing that happened. Tons of quirky historical facts surrounding that mess

Well, you need the Falklands. For strategic sheep purposes.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

HisMajestyBOB posted:

In Chinese, "the day after tomorrow" (houtian) uses the same character as "behind" (houmian). The "day before yesterday" (qiantian) uses "in front" (qianmian). This is really confusing for native English speakers.

那個 pls. Both "before" and "after" can mean "in front" and "behind", respectively, in English. Think of fore and aft on a boat.

The great thing about Chinese grammar is that a lot of it just fits together like that.

Fun history: it's believed that beer is the foundation of civilization. Alcohol brewed from grains may well be the reason we settled down and started cultivating grains in the first place. The ancient Sumerians had a goddess of beer named Ninkasi, and a hymn they sang while brewing. What's interesting is that wildly different cultures all appear to have brewed something like beer for a long time.

Barley was discovered to have been in China some five thousand years ago, much longer than previously thought, and it was used for (of course) beer.

I wanna be this guy's friend.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Oct 29, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Red Bones posted:

I can't remember where (maybe it was this thread?) I heard that some south American languages have this same reversed conception of how time is perceived on a horizontal axis: the future is behind you because you can't see it, and the past is in front of you because you can see it.

More Chinese fun: "next" is "down" and "previous" is "up". Next week is xia ge xingqi/xia zhou/xia ge libai (three words for week, yes) and last week is shang... etc instead of xia. Xia and shang also mean under and on top of, respectively.

It only sounds absurdly difficult if you get hung up on trying to translate it in your head and understand it from an English-language perspective, but if you work on internalizing how it's used in Chinese it just fits and it feels more natural.

Learn Chinese, it's a kickass language. Come join us in the Chinese thread :getin:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Red Bones posted:

next being down makes perfect sense in a language that's written in columns going downward, honestly. Is this Mandarin you're talking about, by the way?

Yeah, Mandarin. Hasn't been regularly written that way in a while, although it can be and is still easily readable in that format.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe President John Tyler still has living grandsons, doesn't he? And he was born in the 18th century. That sort of thing is real, "Well, how about that!" stuff to me.

John Tyler was 63 when his son Lyon Gardiner Tyler was born, and Lyon was 75 when his younger son Harrison was born. John Tyler married twice, and Lyon was one of the seven born to his second wife. He had fifteen kids in total.

Harrison Tyler is still alive as of 2016 at the age of 88, and reportedly pretty sharp. His older brother Lyon Jr. is 92 by now, I think, and still alive as of September.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

An Assassin's Creed game set in a divided Germany during the Cold War would be amazing.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

CoolCab posted:

Ebay, I would imagine? Not like it's got a serial number on it or anything. Must be a market out there somewhere.

Out of curiosity, I just searched "used show saddle" on eBay and found listings ranging from $99 to $4500 just on the first page of results. There's something for everyone!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

How did we get Copenhagen from that? How does havn turn into hagen?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

None of this is true

Some of it is. 2009 marked the 65th anniversary of the Normandy landings. There was a commemoration in Normandy and the Queen was not invited. Obama then worked with organizers to secure Her Majesty an invite, and it was reported that French officials said she was "welcome to attend". The initial outrage over her not being invited, outrage which a bit of cursory research shows to be mostly confined to the pages of the Daily Mail (and those bastards eat, sleep, and breathe outrage), was explained in several ways:

French officials supposedly viewed it as a primarily "Franco-American" commemoration and had no plans to invite any British officials (but Gordon Brown - not Tony Blair - had been invited after expressing interest in attending).

French officials also said that an official invitation had been extended to the British Government and that it was on Gordon Brown to invite who he saw fit, and that the failure to invite Her Majesty the Queen was his fault.

It was also reported that Sarkozy did not want to invite the Queen, or alternately that he and his people were so focused on working with Obama that they just... forgot.

It was further reported that the Queen and the rest of the royal family were not upset about the supposed snub and had no plans to attend the ceremony anyway, as they had not received an official invitation.

I can't find anything about whether or not Obama was successful in securing her an invitation, or if she did go in the end, but there's absolutely nothing about Gordon Brown's failure to invite her being "treason" or "declaring himself the head of state" or the army planning to arrest him, because lol that's bullshit.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Being a handyman for the Dassler bros had to be a pretty sweet deal with the free shoes.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

No lie, the most racist people I knew in high school were stoners.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I mean Hitler did kill Hitler.

But he also killed the guy who killed Hitler, so it evens out.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Teddy Roosevelt knowing judo is perfectly in keeping with the meme perception of him as this super manly Ultimate Badass.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I heard that motherfucker had like 30 god damned dicks.

He'll kick you apart.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not, because he got to live a long life in the lap of luxury surrounded by sycophants instead of facing any sort of justice.

I'm going to have an angry, bittersweet drink alone and say what I said when Falwell died. The damage is done, but good riddance nonetheless.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

During WWII the Soviets trained dogs to run towards tanks by hiding food under them and starving the dogs, the idea being that they'd strap explosives to the poor beasts and use them to blow up enemy tanks.

The trouble was that they trained them on Soviet tanks that weren't running, so the dogs either ran to friendly tanks and blew them up or got scared by the noise of the guns and ran to friendly soldiers and blew them up.

That's such an evil scheme that they kinda deserved to have it backfire.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

8th-snype posted:

So it's made of bees?

It's actually a mirror

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's kind of cool that the things that people told him would prevent him from being a big Hollywood star - his name, his impenetrably thick Austrian accent, and his impenetrably thick Austrian muscles - became his trademark.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

$10 in 1916 had the same buying power as $239 today. gently caress if I'm paying $239 for two large boxes of breakfast.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

How much breakfast is in one box, anyway?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Veib posted:

"Up in the rear end of Timo" is the single best phrase I have ever heard a man say on live television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGbrM-MMRk

That "it came [something]" phrasing seems to be common in a lot of European languages too. It makes sense to me in German, at least.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah that's classic germanic, but English still has it in a narrower sense, to come from one place (to another) ie it came from the ground into Timo's rear end. up in the rear end of Timo.

Fixed that one for you.

Also I think those guys are Finnish, and that language doesn't play by normal rules.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It honestly would not surprise me if the Russian Orthodox Church had blessed that cap. They bless all kinds of things.

Can't hurt, right? Either there are no demons and nothing is lost, or there are, and they're held at bay. I doubt blessings are terribly resource-intensive.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That drat Satyr posted:

I thought we weren't supposed to... Touch the poop...

It's okay, the Japanese knife guy will be the one touching the poop.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

His mother was also apparently an emotionally unavailable paranoid shut-in who raised young Howard with an unhealthy level of fear, particularly fear of the unknown, which manifested as racism but also an incredible genre of fiction. And I think he changed his views later in life.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Punching Nazis is both patriotic and self-defense.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He must have been a very good boy :3:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pretend I posted that tweet about being an old time doctor, just drunk as hell like yeah you got ghosts in your blood, u should do cocaine about it

Before the advent of actual evidence-based medicine, doctors were loving morons

Ignatz Semmelweis, the guy who suggested that maybe washing your hands between dissecting cadavers and helping deliver babies might be the key to cutting down on the number of mothers dying in childbirth was shamed out of the medical profession for daring to suggest that a doctor's hands might be dirty

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nicotine is a stimulant, isn't it? I suspect that the tobacco smoke up the bunghole trick worked once for something and somehow just caught on.

Krankenstyle posted:

Nice! They really loved tobacco and ascribed it all kinds of curative powers. I have an ancestor (lived 1830–98) who was asthmatic & apparently for this the cure was blowing tobacco smoke down his lungs :shrug:

Is this how he died?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pookah posted:

Concrete shipbuilders have a ponderous sense of humour.

Much like the ships they build.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Krankenstyle posted:

why even be an ancient warrior if you don't get strange pubes tho

just lol if you're pubes aren't already strange

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bony tony posted:

It's used now to mean "the money you pay for a ride on public transport".

"Fare" in the sense of payment for passage/transportation dates to Scotland in the 1510s, and as a passenger or person conveyed in a vehicle, the 1560s.

All the same root:

quote:

Old English fær "journey, road, passage, expedition," from strong neuter of faran "to journey" (see fare (v.)); merged with faru "journey, expedition, companions, baggage," strong fem. of faran.

Fascinatingly, "fare" as "food, provisions" comes from the same root and dates back to the 12th century.

See also German fahren, to travel, drive.

"Farewell" and "to fare (well or badly)" meaning to have a certain degree of success or failure in a particular endeavor are also from the same root.

Language! :eng101:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The common people being able to access scripture in their own language and learn prayers they actually understood began with Martin Luther and his 95 reasons why gently caress the church

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zopotantor posted:

That's not exactly what "cunne superbe vale" means...

Yeah but hasn't academia historically been squeamish about translating things like that accurately? Like that one by Catullus

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don't think that answers more questions than it creates.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

People used to just piss where they sat in church?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

He was always ugly, but I bet he looked at least passably human before the surgery.