Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
We will be the last generation that remembers the world without Internet or mobile phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Googled that quote. Wikiquote says there's no actual proof Hesiod ever said that... is it a hoax?
Could be. This, however, is not.
Well at least the comic itself is 100 years old.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My favorite historical fact is that time when God killed almost everyone with a flood. poo poo was pretty crazy back then.

(although I'm being smartass, that Olga legend was actually fun and interesting)

Kennel has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Dec 9, 2015

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Thank god for typewriters & computers.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

System Metternich posted:

A 1709 portrayal pf Buchinger along with various pictures showing off what he could do, e.g. "woodcutting", "shaving himself", "reloading a gun", "playing dice" etc.
It's like Kim Jong-il Looking at Things.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
charles_ii.jpg

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Something I stumbled on while scouring through Wikipedia:

'The Swedish kings Eric XIV (1560–68) and Charles IX (1604–1611) took their numbers according to a fictitious History of Sweden. He was actually the third Swedish king called Charles.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_IX_of_Sweden

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alhazred posted:

At age eight Sun Yaoting was castrated by his father so that he could serve the Chinese emperor as an eunuch. Eight months later the emperor was deposed.

And boy, were those family dinners awkward after that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
There's several instances of fighter pilots taking out enemy aircraft by destroying their tail with propeller after running out of ammo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Man, history is crazy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

System Metternich posted:

That's super interesting, can you recommend some literature about it? :)
Just yesterday I read an article about Guy Deutscher's book Through the Language Glass which might be worth checking out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

HEY GAL posted:

it was to show off your body, but that pose those guys are doing is also a specific thing to this culture/time, which denotes manliness and martial power. read this article for more
http://www.rug.nl/research/portal/files/3346046/BremmerH5.pdf

Such manly men.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpPsbkHzrok

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The latest QI episode had some good stuff.

quote:

The most intriguing duel fought between women, and the sole one that featured exposed breasts, took place in August 1892 in Vauduz, the capitol of Liechtenstein, between Princess Pauline Metternich and the Countess Kielmannsegg. It has gone down in history as the first “emancipated duel” because all parties involved, including the principals and their seconds were female. Also, the confrontation was organized and presided over by the Baroness Lubinska, who had a degree in medicine (a rarity for a woman in those days) and was prepared to minister to any wounds incurred. Before the proceedings began, the baroness pointed out that many insignificant injuries in duels often became septic due to strips of clothing being driven into the wound by the point of a sword. To counter this danger she prudently suggested that both parties should fight stripped of any garments above the waist. Certainly, Baroness Lubinska was ahead of her time, taking an even more radical take on the (at the time) widely dismissed theories of British surgeon Joseph Lister, who in 1870 revolutionized surgical procedures with the introduction of antiseptic. With the precautions Baroness Lubinska recommended, the topless women duelists were less likely to suffer from an infection; indeed, it was a smart idea to fight semiclad. Given the practicality of the baroness’ suggestion and the “emancipated” nature of the duel, it was agreed that the women would disrobe—after all, there would be no men present to ogle them. For the women, the decision to unbutton the tops of their dresses was not sexual; it was simply a way of preventing a duel of first blood from becoming a duel to the death.

At the dueling ground on the fateful day, all formalities were carried out to the letter including an attempt at and refusal of reconciliation. The ladies engaged and, after a few trifling feints and thrusts, a wild slash from the princess brought about a light flow of blood from the countess’ nose. Seeing the injury she caused, the shocked princess, in a stereotypical feminine gesture, threw both hands up to her cheeks. Just then, the countess lunged and pierced the princess through her right forearm. The sight of the ensuing blood caused the respective seconds to faint. The footmen and coachmen, who had been ordered to stand some distance away with their backs toward the action, heard the cries and ran toward the women to render aid. Baroness Lubinska, however, decided the male servants had more salacious motives and attacked them with her umbrella, shouting, “Avert your eyes, avert your eyes—you lustful wretches!” The baroness was once again ahead of her time in sensing the necessary precautions. It was as if she already knew the gossip and speculation that would result from this premier example of what could have become a clothing–optional sport.

The rumors started just as soon as the Princess Metternich and Countess Kielmannsegg cast aside their weapons. Artists and storytellers speculated about the duel, most of their tales centering specifically on the scanty clothes the women wore. It is humorous that most recounts of this historic event fail to mention two important things: the winner of the duel (Princess Metternich) and the reason why the women came to arms in the first place—they disagreed over the floral arrangements for an upcoming musical exhibition. Bared breasts, apparently, overshadow such trivial details.
http://neveryetmelted.com/2016/05/24/famous-topless-female-duel-of-1892/

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Government Handjob posted:

Holy hell this is so bad I can't stop listening to it.

http://www.octopuspie.com/2009-11-22/342-as-bad-as-it-looks/

Kennel has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Nov 21, 2016

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Having a clearly defined enemy who isn't an existential threat is pretty nice for both sides, so it wouldn't be too surprising if some of those assassination attempts were a bit halfhearted.

(:tinfoil:)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Khazar-khum posted:

Let's step away from the table for a moment, shall we?

When Elizabethan theatres are excavated, they usually find the shattered remains of ceramic boxes. The boxes had an opening like a piggy bank, but there was no way to get the coins out.

What the theatre managers did was wait until the performance ended, then go into a back room with the principal parties and smash the box. The coins would be counted and properly divvied up.

The name of that little room has survived to this day. It's called--box office.

Speaking of theatres https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Price_Riots

quote:

The Old Price Riots of 1809 (also sometimes referred to as the O.P. or OP riots) were caused by rising prices at the new Theatre at Covent Garden, London, after the previous one had been destroyed by fire. [...] The riots lasted three months, and ended with John Philip Kemble, the manager of the theatre, being forced to make a public apology.

On 20 September 1808, the original Covent Garden Theatre was destroyed by a fire along with most of the scenery, costumes and scripts. [...] The new theatre opened on 18 September 1809. The cost of constructing and furnishing the building, however, was so high that the management was forced to raise the prices from six shillings to seven for the boxes, from 3 shillings and sixpence to four shillings for the pit, and the third tier, usually reserved for the public, was converted into private boxes at a rent of £300 per year.
[...]
On the opening night, riots broke out during a performance of Macbeth and continued throughout the play. At the end, the audience refused to leave so Kemble sent for the Bow Street police, but this only made the situation worse, and the rioters did not disperse until 2am. After the first night, the rioters only came in at half price time, and the inside of the theatre was covered with banners and slogans. Newspapers and journals reported frequently on the riots, citing as central to its continuation a perceived suppression of customary liberties and a lack of dialogue between the patrons and the management. At one point, a coffin was carried in with the message "Here lies the body of the new price, which died of the whooping cough on 23 September 1809, aged 6 days". The riots were to last another 64 days. However, unlike earlier riots, little damage was done to the theatre and the whole affair was characterised by a "spirit of fun". The rioters even had a name for themselves: the OPs. The OPs stretched across class and cultural lines, ranging from businessmen to labourers, and pushed Kemble to lower the prices. Kemble did so (and also issued an apology) and the situation returned to normal, until he tried to maintain half the number of private boxes at the start of the next season – the riots started again, forcing him to withdraw his plan.
Reminds me of modern video game fans.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I know you can play Europa Universalis with randomized New World but is there a mod for a Columbus World which removes Americas and shortens the distance between Europe and Asia?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Krankenstyle posted:

He also had a wooden leg (iirc because he had to cut his real leg off with a pocket knife due to frostbite) that he called "lortebenet" or "the poo poo leg".

Actually he used his frozen feces to cut off the leg.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I know about the Great Ancient Hwan Empire of Korean but where did the Finnish side of the hyper war meme come from?

There has traditionally been plenty of nut job theories about Finnic people. Their "realms" covered (let's ignore that they were extremely sparsely populated) a large part of north-west Russia and Scandinavia but there wasn't written language so there was plenty of room to theorize. These ideas were probably relatively popular because, unlike the most of the other European nations, the Finns didn't have any true moments of national greatness to look back.

Add to the mixture that the modern Finns are very Internet savvy memesters and active on English speaking message and image boards.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Waci posted:

The idea of the Earth being flat didn't start as a meme though.

I mean neither did the concept about Finland's secret glorious past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Juslenius
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd_Wettenhovi-Aspa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ior_Bock

The Hyperwar is obviously a joke (just like most of the flat earth content) but it has some basis in historical fringe theories.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Queen_Combat posted:

Translation for brokebrains that can't read cursive?

My attempt:

My cat, I had her four
months in the army. She was
not afraid of horses, guns or any noise.
Used(?) to be with me on [?????]
purred(?) herself to [?????] my arm. I sent
her home by a sick(?) ???

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nice video game level.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He had to change it a bit because elves don't have pubes (that's canon).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Same, but I skip the sober part.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just pee in the middle of the street.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alhazred posted:

If a Norwegian surname is rare enough you have to ask each one with that name if its okay for you to take it.

In Finland you have to do that even if it's a very common surname (unless your spouse/adoption parent/ancestor within 5 generations has it).

At least taking a completely new name is relatively simple.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Obviously I know that since I'm classically educated. (I.e. read Astérix, Lucky Luke, and Tintin as a kid.)

It was pretty cool how some Lucky Luke albums had history articles on the last page (often pointing out the artistic liberties in the comic)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Red Bones posted:

So are you drinking directly from a carton on your desk at work, or do you put it into a glass first?

Straight from the cow.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
When will Mount Rushmore rise up and start wreaking havoc?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Old Christmas cards are weird:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"owww my nerves hurt a lot oww oof my neeerves"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I like to imagine that the guy who made the phone call was completely surprised that the trees weren't needed anymore.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Swiss are just Alp Danes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Ah, a sovereign citizen.