Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

"The Tiger panzer was and is the best tank in all of history, AND FURTHERMORE"

:goonsay:

The Tiger, while being 'the best' in some performance terms was also an unneccessarily complicated piece of machinery which bled maintenance resources and was - along with many other similar German ventures into combining high-tech-solutions into war machines - one reason that lost the war to the more reliable and rugged tanks that could be mass-manufactured and fixed with a sledgehammer.

There is a reason why Russian small arms are all the rage in the 2nd/3rd world conflicts and one lesson, that especially American armed forces seem keen to forget every time.

But in the Internet, its mostly neo-nazi war-fankery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

There are more than 10 different Sami-dialects for the ~35k Sami people living in the Northren Europe, especially Lapland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages

Here are the fun facts; currently there are more fluent Inari-Sami speakers in the Helsinki metropolitan area than in the region of Inari, and at one point there were only two remaining people fluent with one of the Karelian Sami dialects, both living in the Soviet Union. Only one of them had a phone.

The dialects are not mutually understandable, although all the remaining "main" branches more or less are.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Rutibex posted:

We like to project horrible periods in history onto "great men" because it absolves us of having to take responsibility. Hitler is dead, but Germany still exists. We can't blame the German people in general, and still get along. Hell, IG Farben (the corporation responsible for a lot of the logistics of the holocaust) still operates to this day. If you buy some Bayer Aspirin you are buying drugs from the same company that mass produced Zyklon-B.

"We cant trust these people so we should destroy the most influential of them and disperse the rest to the uninhabitable wilderness." How's the afterlife working for you, Comrade Stalin?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Nobody knows where Ghengis Khan is buried either, great pains were taken to hide his tomb.

Also Australia lost their prime minister in the 60s, but that was more of an accidental thing.

Isn't that the prime minister who drowned and later had a swimming stadium named after him?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Unless you're Alan Turing, in which case you commit suicide because the punishment for homosexuality in the 1950s was chemical castration. Didn't matter if you were a genius or a war hero, you'd get hosed up if you got caught doing anything gay.

But the British government was _really sorry_ about that one :rolleyes: and issued an apology fifty years later.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FELD1 posted:

I'm primarily curious as to the exact purpose and function of the Giza Mass Autism Array. Can any history buffs chime in on this one :allears:

It sent a blast wave that is still felt, in this very forum among other places. However the array destroyed itself because the bolts weren't set just right.

But obviously, the entire thing is one of the many faces of Spurdo Spärde and the Finnish meme supremacy.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It is. The recent historical event that that happened in was the Lateran Treaty in 1929. Well, that's what made it official anyway. Italy with the borders we know and love today was the result of a reunification effort in the 19th century. That formed the Kingdom of Italy that also got up to some colonial antics in Africa. Then fascism and Mussolini happened and, you know, WWII. Anyway seeing as the Kingdom of Italy controlled the entirety of Rome the question of "what the gently caress do we do with the Church?" was a very important question that never got properly answered for multiple decades. Generally speaking the Papacy just kind of did its thing and was left alone even though they were technically controlled by Italy as they weren't a separate entity. The treaty basically gave a final, definitive answer to the question by declaring it a sovereign nation separate from Italy. Of course such a tiny state existing entirely within the borders of a city in a larger nation is never wholly separate but it answered the question of "who controls the Pope?" with finality and that was what everybody ultimately wanted an answer to.

It's also worth noting that Vatican City isn't actually the sovereign entity. That's actually The Holy See which runs Vatican City but if you say "Vatican City" most people know what you're talking about.

The Latera Treaty was also one of the major political legacies of Mussolini, and at that time conveniently solved the issues of the church excommunicating men serving the king of Italy instead of the pope. Before that, you'd have to choose at some point to be either devout christian, or work for the government.

EDIT: as a sidenote, besides the Papal State, the Knight Hospitallers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta are also still around as a non-national sovereign entity.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Jun 26, 2017

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Apparently it isn't even limited to Jesus. If memory serves there's enough finger bones of John the Baptist floating around to populate the hands of multiple people. There were periods in medieval Europe where all the cool and good churches had relics in the form of body parts of important people centuries gone. Since forensic science hadn't been invented yet there were people just grabbing any old finger bone from the graveyard and saying "yup, totes from John the Baptist!" or scam artists selling fake relics to churches that didn't have any.

This is part of why some folks get pissy about things like carbon dating relics. If it turns out that that your favorite relic is multiple centuries too young to relate to the person it was supposed to be part of or belong to then it's a blatant fake. Kind of sucks to find out that that thing you've been revering for 800 years was a fraud.

At one point Vatican got pissy about the scam artists with their fake relics. Because they weren't getting their cut from the revenue stream.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slime posted:

The same way a bunch of genetic diseases haven't evolved out of the species. Common mutations, recessive genes, the disease being down to a combination of issues that would only rarely happen etc etc.

Yes, stuff that is obviously harmful but does not play into the grand scheme of evolution. In nature, the ones born with that stuff just get eaten and die early, and only the positive genetic straits survive. We just don't observe that because they simply do not survive to adult age.

For example in nature, becoming a blonde or red-head (or any other color variation) is usually harmful, because it also fucks your ability to blend into the background and hide.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Everything I hear about Nazi weapons seems to indicate they were made specifically to give boners to slavering war-nerds with no sense of practicality, tactics or logistics, which to be fair is probably entirely accurate.

Over-engineered to point of having worse practical usability than the more simple design is a thing and it actually exists even today. Just look at the Berlin airport, Finnish Olkiluoto 3 project or F35 fighter jet. Or that littoral combat ship that does not hit poo poo with its impractical weapons, while the hull aggressively* dissolves in salt water.

Everything in the Nazi war machine and superiors expecting to have "wonder weapons" made this problem even more flaring than what to usually expect.

EDIT: *

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

On this topic, one thing that the original Mythbusters, and Jamie Hyneman in particular, did do correctly was that they tried to conceive the idea that "simpler is always better if it does the same job". Looking nice is not a thing, having cutting edge tech is not a thing, and being overtly sophisticated and fine tuned is definitely not a thing, if we have a design that is reliable, simple, easy to industrially reproduce and maintenance free, and basically does the same thing.

The AK-series of assault rifles, Toyota Hilux 4th gen. and the old Nokia mobile phones were the epitome of this engineering approach. They will shoot, drive and call, probably even after the third world war, whereas the fancier guns with the nightvision and poo poo, modern cars and iPhone die or malfunction on you unless provided with a constant stream of maintenance .

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The funny thing about this being that one of the culminations of the war was the deployment of a wonder weapon.

If you are referring to the atom bombs, that was just an acceleration of the inevitable. USA would and could have invaded the mainland Japan, and would have won the war eventually.

Statistically speaking, using the a-bomb twice probably saved more lives and infrastructure than what it destroyed, in the long run. War is hell. And statistics.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Feb 2, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Jerrycans were a good example of that.

Also the tanks (which are lambasted here) were in service for the next 10-20 years in various places after the initial problems were fixed. Also the design of the helmets (for WW2) and the Sturmgehver-44 was the sort-of-basis of AK and other assault rifles so overall they had a clue, but were too ambitious with their original plans.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Feb 2, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Nazis invented the jerrycan?

They did, and they also invented the coloring scheme to always separate water, diesel and gasoline from each other. Of course their name for the system was something sexy like Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister.

Jerry canister == "The German canister"

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Feb 2, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

The StG 44 was the "basis for the AK" really only in the sense that Kalashnikov was kind of inspired by the idea of an assault rifle firing an intermediate cartridge. Similar designs like the Fedorov Avtomat had existed prior, but the StG 44 was the first to be produced in large numbers and see successful combat use on a large scale of any kind, and it got the Soviets to put serious effort toward making their own after having previously shelved the idea. Their operating systems have little in common and the AK actually stole more from American designs (like the safety of the Remington Model 8 semi-auto hunting rifle). Their similarity in appearance was mostly because the design layout was the most sensible one for that kind of rifle.

Fun fact: the SKS actually saw testing during the Battle of Berlin.

Yeah I accept all this but the original idea lies between the systems. Lahti-SMG was one motherfucker against the Soviets and overall the idea of having a gun which had a "sort of" rifle range with the firepower of the machine gun was an idea, not a fully developed system.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In a lot of ways the Nazis beat themselves by just, you know, being Nazis. Their attitude was that they'd basically win by default because they were just plain superior people. They'd continue their plan of exterminating their lessers and then just ride how awesome and amazing they were to victory. German engineers were the best because they were German! Nothing else needed to be said; given that he was Lead German Hitler just kind of defaulted to "my opinion is absolutely always right and don't question it." You didn't want to get on his bad side. Meanwhile the pretty rigid hierarchy limited the actual pool of talent they had. That was also part of what led to their love of hand made, over-engineered tanks. Skilled German craftsmen would obviously make the best things because they were German. Don't question it! The brutal repression of ideas Der Furher didn't like because fascism also didn't help.

Compare that to America who did stuff like how the Jeep came to be; instead of picking a favorite due to breeding they just contacted basically every vehicle manufacturer, gave them specs and a timeframe, and said "this is what we want. Big bag of cash to whoever gets the first prototype to us." It was like "we want this, somebody make it happen, we don't give a poo poo who."

Having read through this word salad, I strongly recommend that you should seek help.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Afaik this was pretty common. For example famed illiterate Charlemagne has a badass signature, because he had a stencil.

Here house marks /signature marks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_mark were still in use in the rural countryside, when my father started as a land survey engineer in the 60's. It basically is a signature for the person who is 100% illiterate and not constrained by things like alphabet or pronounciation.

In the very olden times, they also doubled as a family crest for the people who were not actual nobility.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I heard that motherfucker had like 30 god damned dicks.

I heard he built the cabin log he was born in. The mother must have been proud, and starved.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Laserjet 4P posted:

He sleeps outside since the rains have ceased, and his skin is thick to bullets.

This is not true. He had a vulnerability to bullet in the critical spot + 1000%

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

More likely as time goes on. TNT based explosives get more dangerous as they age since they sweat out nitro glycerin.

Not only that, but they also have anti-tampering devices which means that they like to go off if the dismantling crew does not know exactly what to do.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

lol wtf did they just smash the horse's balls with a hammer back then?

Well, they did also have an anvil.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Kind of amazed at the lack of alcohol.

Alcohol is easy to manufacture onsite if you have yeast, sugar (or about-to-rot fruits) and water.

The outcome might not taste fine dining but does the job.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He was a scot and Glasgow native, screaming in scots/english/whatever

I speak, read and write English to the degree that I have written a textbook in English and published a boatload of papers without any help from professional proofreading services.

However, the first time I traveled to the Isles and took a train from Edinburgh to Lancaster I could not understand one loving thing the conductor said to me in the heavy and fast Scottish accent. (He tried to explain that I should go to the first cabin since I accidentally bought a 1st class ticket, and that I could take one "complementary biscuits box" from the self-service shelf.) I thought I was having a stroke or something.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

There's a lot to be said for how much your expectations prime your understanding of language. If you expect one thing and hear another, it becomes utter nonsense. Even your own mother tongue — say you've been abroad and spoken another language exclusively for months and then come home.

In my experience it takes a bit to get your brain on the same page as the world around you, but then it's relatively smooth sailing.

Yes, this precisely. There is actually one funny example of this in the Finnish language "Nord eskj oldi nkad ulla." ...which written like this is meaningless pseudo-Swedish or something since it leads with "Nord" which is North in Swedish, of which most Finns are at least a bit familiar with.

However, without the spaces "Nordeskjoldinkadulla." is immediately recognizable as "at the Nordeskjold street", which is a street in the Helsinki city center and couple of other places.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Aug 31, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Ville Valo from HIM speaks with a sort of generic English accent.

Being from Finland that is a lifetime platinum achievement and nothing less, since he also could sound like a Finnish WRC rally driver when talking outside script.

Te tires vere veri kood indeet fär tis spesial stake.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

The first flush toilets that were installed on Continental Europe were installed in Oslo (then Kristiania ), Norway in 1859. The lucky owner was a bankier named Nicolai August Andresen. In 1904 only 32 out of 7 257 houses in Oslo had flust toilets and in 2002 twenty communal apartments still had outhouses. Today there's still one nightman in Oslo who empties outhouses, primarily in the rural areas.

The first indoor toilet in Edinburgh was installed directly in full view from the house door, so that the owner could sit on his throne and gloat at the passersby.

EDIT: At least according to the historic tour to the Edinburgh under the streets -tour guide.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Trabant posted:

You sank my battleship destroyed generations of my people!

"French and British Empire run out of eligible male population years before we do" was a completely valid strategy, until the US intervened and messed everything up.

At least if you are an aristocratic Field Marshal from Prussia, to whom anyone without royal ties was in fact, not a human being.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

dee eight posted:

I learned at a young age that I could buy a box of that at the local grocery store for 10 cents. A 50/50 mix of that and cane sugar burns bright, hot, and slow. The burning mix produces copious billows of white smoke, and when contained, explodes reasonably violently.

[/preteenhyjinks]

So how is it to live on the no-flight list?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Government Handjob posted:

Don't Norwegian officers still wear these on occasion? I swear I remember seeing it on the stiff necked dorks that were on barracks or mess hall duty.

It's gorget https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorget and the duty officers for example in the Norwegian and Finnish army still carry it to signify who is on watch duty at the barracks.

Edit: If someone is carrying a gun with live ammo and is not MP, it is usually this guy.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Feb 13, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

If Don Carlos wasn't a straight up serial killer, he sure could have been. Mutilating animals, budding pyromania, head injury, clear disregard of human life and incalculable rage are a hell of a combination.

Also managed to cross off attempted regicide and high treason, at the same time, from his bucket list before being sent away. Laborious fella.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

The introduction of pistols actually lowered the death rate. Their low accuracy meant that the duelists could fire at each other, survive and leave with their honor intact.

I also read somewhere that there usually was a sort of a non-spoken agreement that both will purposefully miss, to that the parties can say that the duel happened but both participants were guaranteed to escape the ordeal alive. The ones who tried to actually hit were considered assholes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, duels weren't really done out of a desire for revenge or anything, but were instead a ritual to publicly restore your honour. Killing your opponent didn't really come into play in most cases.

Duel fun facts!
- Representatives of German student fraternities met with the German president in 1953 to personally assure him that they wouldn't use duels as a way to settle affairs of honour anymore. However, the so-called "Bestimmungsmensur" (which is basically a highly ritualistic approximation of a duel and is seen as a way to build character and display your masculinity) is still alive and well in some of those fraternities
- Until 1983, the Catholic Church forbade all duels under threat of excommunication, going so far as to even excommunicat onlookers and all those knowing about the duel and not trying to stop it. The 1983 Canon Law Codex doesn't include this anymore, as duels have largely fallen out of use. In German-speaking Europe, it's still the rule that Catholic student fraternities stricly reject any form of duelling or Mensur
- The Nazis initially loosened the duel ban in Germany, but after a duel between two high-ranking nazis ended with one them dying in 1937, Hitler banned all forms of duelling again
- The 1908 summer olympics had pistol duelling as an associate event
- The last known duel in France happend in 1967 between two rivalling members of parliament

More fun facts:

Finland abolished all leniency towards "duel-induced manslaughter" in a law revision act of 1969. Before that, it was sort-of acceptable to have duels, but you needed to have a doctor, assistants and witnesses, and the assistants were required to make "an honest effort" to try to end the dispute before the duel took place. Otherwise everyone involved went to jail along with the "winner".

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea when the last legal duel took place.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

:hmmyes: that actually makes perfect sense (tho the unicorns were supposed to be in America, but it's not like anyone could check)

One of the US Presidents was absolutely certain that the mammoth and/or large sloth was still alive in the western parts of the continent when he sent the first expedition towards the Pacific ocean.

Because it was uninterrupted by the civilization it had to have them since at that time it was certain that the existence of human civilization destroyed them.

EDIT: The other one being the "Large emu" which I forgot the name of. It existed at the Madagascar around the time the western culture made a permanent base at it but it was dying out anyways.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

looking for a series A for my new app. elevator pitch: its like uber, but one of your cousins show up and you have sex. i call it les cousins dangereux (open for discussion on that)

I think that the State of Alabama is not allowed to directly fund private software developer, even though there is that one case where Rhode Island owns the IPR to a video game.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Red Bones posted:

I was at a bar with an Icelandic friend and we used it to look up how distantly he was related to Bjork. It would work with other famous icelandic people too but we couldn't think of any.

Yeah the Patronymic surname system isn't actually helping on this matter.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The partonymic system is like it was designed for getting freaky with your cousins and weird uncles. Considering my first cousins, siblings and half-siblings, the four surnames we all share would be replaced with variations of something like Olofsson, Olofsdottir, Sigirsson, Sigirsdottir, Tovolsdottir, Sejarsson, Sejarsdottir, Haradlsson, Haraldsdottir, Adolsson, Petersdottir, Mijirsson, Sejesson, Sejensdottir, Pafelsson, Arttursdottir and Piijasdottir based on who they prefer and if the parents are still married.

Just hope that you actually *know* all your first cousins and half-siblings by the look.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

inherited surnames are a feudalist-mercantilist invention.

it used to be that people had one given name, and if necessary, one or more bynames depending on context. say in your home village, you'd be william johnson, but over in the next village youre william woods cause it's closer to the woods. or perhaps you were just william or will your entire life without needing another name.

nobles and burgers and other rich assholes needed to be able to vouch for their holdings and what not, and one of the ways to do that was by introducing inherited surnames. now a person could be known to be the great grandson of whomever without assembling the Žing and reciting generations of ancestors. it was generally enough to say that he was known by general agreement to be of that family. naturally it could be disputed if necessary.

the common folk never had a problem until taxes started being a regular thing. but now they needed to be looked into, their movements controlled more closely, what not. so we had surnames forced down upon us, usually just a petrified version of some random byname, often a patronym.

now a whole bunch of people are stuck with this half-assed bullshit like being named Johnson but not being a son of John, and people named Smith who are not smiths, just because capital wanted to make rentseeking easier (make no mistake, 90+% of taxes in recent history have been levied by private individuals, only for a fraction to then be paid on to the soverign, not that they deserved it more).

Yeah, I know this by firsthand, actually. My surname follows the normal Finnish convention of <something>-nen usually meaning "person of the riverside" Jokinen or "person who owned a farm with an ox" Härkönen and so on and so on, the most populars being "person living in a hill" Mäkinen or that "person of the riverside". Except that my surname is "person whose ancestor used to live in the noble estate X". And yes I have investigated this and I am not related to the "noble family of X". In fact, none of my surname are, they are more likely "people who left the servitude of X".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yup. This was also discussed in the Dune thread some years ago. So they have an ox and Sting, as it seems, so what.

EDIT: So this is purely a speculation but someone migrating to US or Canada might americanize their name from Härkonen to Harkone, since it is easier to say for the locals. Atreidas, unfortunately does not mean anything in Finnish, but if you need to grasp the straws, "atrain" is Finnish for the trident and fishermen tool you use to catch stuff.

see https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrain

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Aug 30, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pookah posted:

Ok, I did not know her childhood was that abusive, holy poo poo.

also

:golfclap:

Its basically the same poo poo with the Japanese royal family even today. The royalty following their own weird system of acceptable behavior and generation-spanning customs which become the mandated laws for them is sort of funny. At some point the court runs the royalty, not the other way around. Unless you have enough support to do scandalous poo poo like "shaking hands with the commoners" or "not wearing white tie after 6 PM".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

I went through the conscription rolls for my hometown, and in 1802 the average height of adult males was 62.45 zealandic inches; this is slightly longer than imperial inches at 1/24th of zealandic alen = 62.81cm, which is 2.62 cm, whereas 1 imperial inch is 2.54 cm.

So: Adult males in my hometown were on average 1.63 m or ~5'4.5" in 1802

You can really tell when you walk through doorways in old houses

19th century museum ships and their crew quarters are almost like some sort of weird doll houses. I am well over 1.8m and sometimes I find myself to be one of the shortest dudes in the room. It feels claustrophobic in a room which was meant to house people in average 20 cm shorter than me and build to save space to begin with.