Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
During the 18th and 19th centuries, the introduction of sugar and coffee from the plantations of the new world to many Europeans diets of course began a wave of tooth decay and wear never seen before. Logically this is when modern false teeth started to appear. Everyone is familar with the more unusual falsies men of this era wore (George Washington and his wooden teeth) but of course out of all things chosen for early false teeth, real teeth of course always beat wood or whale bone.

So where do you get a supply of real human teeth? why, from the mouths of dead soldiers of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

What kind of D&D rear end bar let's people open carry swords all willy nilly

Any pub or Inn before the 19th century.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think people have probably been just as weird at any point in history, the difference is at the turn of the century the media reported it as "what an intriguing and mirthful tale!" Whereas now it would just be a bunch of people on the internet going "wow this woman is gross and batshit crazy for attention"

Also, we live in a strange era of Bronies and Mens Rights Activists. A century from now people are going to laugh and cringe themselves silly reading about all that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Grimlook posted:

I wish I could see how they misinterpret a lot of our stuff

It almost makes looking into freezing your head in a jar an interesting concept, just to see what they'd make of the tail end of the last century and the start of this one!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But those guys had plenty of heart!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bonapartisan posted:

Why do you say hurtful things? :(

Hows that continental system going :smug:

Ah, I'm kidding you are alright. Seriously though, listen to Talleyrand.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alhazred posted:

They also mocked them for wearing trousers and for the Romans trousers were a sign of barbarism.

Roman legwear oddly enough reminds me of Jhorts.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That is a hilariously small kill count, even against birds with that much ammuntion just wasted.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Frederick William of Prussia, Frederick the great's father, hated the French so much that he had people executed in traditional French clothes. He was also an appalling father and had canes with which to beat William placed around his palaces so that something was always on hand during his episodes of gout.

Germankingsandtheirsons.txt.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Frederick The Great won in the end, he got to play the flute all day surrounded by burly tall as hell Grenadiers. gently caress you dad indeed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

System Metternich posted:

Two centuries of Protestant and Borussophile hagiographic historiography have made him into much more than he really was: a power-tripping rear end in a top hat with some good ideas.

You can pretty much say the same about most of histories more liberal leaning non elected leaders with this statement. Kind of amusing that Napoleon beats old Frederick on both counts of war mongering and the occasional good deed thrown about to not make him look like a total rear end.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

Napoleon: Genisys :hist101:

We joke about it, but there is still a living descendent of Napoleon who's quite young but he's not really that into politics.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I uh, do hope the darker aspects of humanity still gently caress off though. The Cossacks as a whole were really not a tolerant bunch.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goose fleet posted:

The sheer amount of incompetence displayed by most leaders during World War I is incredible

Sadly in our history there was only one General Marshall. We all need more George Marshall.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Entrenched leadership and generations of cronyism will do that for ya, in addition to several hundred years of cultural history telling everyone—commander and grunt alike—that if you were losing it was because you just weren't being manly enough. Now nut up and walk through that rolling artillery barrage like a proper chap! Surely this time around our plan for a massed attack on prepared enemy position will do the trick!

Oops, looks like we got another five hundred thousand men killed to accomplish nothing. Well, whatever, next time it'll work. I'm sure of it.

There are many many issues why the 1st World War ended up like that now, I'm not saying this was a part of it but there were other things at play including rapidly changing technology, a shift in both the european political and social mindset of things and the general chaotic nature of conflict in general playing out.

All armies of the first world war had officers and generals of both a traditional and more modern forward thinking mindset. The experimental and modern tactics were just as brutal and dangerous as the obsolete and defensive ones as nobody knew how they'd play out.

Eschers Basement posted:

Wars of the late 19h century and early 20th century were devestating, as technology constantly outpaced changes in tactics. The American Civil War was incredibly bloody because early on all of the generals were using Napolenic tactics which were written assuming you had to use massed charges to make muskets effective.

Massed volley fire you mean. I mean, some Confederate dudes in a certain battlefield did that and well things didn't go to well for them doing a massed charge into musket fire.

SeanBeansShako has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Dec 19, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Another WW2 example, The Dieppe Raid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If you want to hurt yourself internally, read people debating history in video game forums. Go on. Do it. It is a good pain.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

"The Tiger panzer was and is the best tank in all of history, AND FURTHERMORE"

:goonsay:

Prussians Prussians Prussians Gustav Adolf Prussians MACEDONIA! SOVIET HORDES THE ROMANS!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This monster is not birthed from the half crazed mind of a Deviant Art Steampunk cosplayer nor is it a weapon of a rogue from some long forgotten Final Fantasy game. No, ladies and gentlemen I present to you one of many semi novelty crude firearms of the gun powder era.

Meet the Nock gun. Invented by "Crazy Bugger" James Wilson in 1779 this monster volley gun is basically seven muskets mashed together designed really to ensure a person or group of people as well as the operater really regret being shot at by it. Problem was, unless you are built like a brick shithouse firing this monster was going to injure you slightly and was quite a fire hazard as well.

Sort of a bigger issue for a weapon designed for boarding actions in the Royal Navy. And no, this wasn't some crazy assed puckle gun prototype which never saw the light of day. Several hundred saw service in the early Napoleonic Wars and it stuck around long enough for cut down more easier to use version to be produced and used. It still doesn't look as silly as the Duckfoot Flintlock pistol though, which I am personally sure was the inspiration for this monster.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bundle of Keys posted:

Is that the gun used by the Irish dude in the Sharpe tv-series? I should rewatch that show.

Yep.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A nation of shop keeping lions and donkeys.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nobody ever turns down free power.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He's been the only guy so far who knew his limits when it came to power okay. He was the designated driver.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Shakespeare sounded like a pirate

It's called a west country accent.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm pretty sure Long John Silver was meant to be from Bristol. So it's not unlikely that Newton's natural accent helped him get the job since he was from the same general region as the character he was playing. Though I'm pretty sure none of the previous film portrayals took the accent anywhere near as far as he did.

The most famous pirate of all time* Edward "Blackbeard" Teach(or possibly Thatch) was also from Bristol.

His flag was pretty cool:

It depicts a skeleton with a goblet in one hand and a spear in the other stabbing a bleeding heart.

I believe it is an hour glass not a goblet. The symbolism of a time piece in these flags was essential as it was saying to the (hopefully) badly armed and manned merchantmen 'you have minutes before you don't have a choice in being attacked or not. Surrender.'

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah I don't know how I missed that. Skeletons and hourglasses is like death symbolism 101.

To be fair, the art is pretty crude what with the lower half being utterly obscured by the hand.

But pirates as you all can see loving loved symbolism. How this evolved into comedy join the dots style treasure maps now....

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

All that is missing is the Russian version of ??? and then Profit! between the dog head and the undead dog mech.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tias posted:

Doubt that diagram is real, though.

It's either from Cracked or a Red Alert concept art thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Perhaps fencing isn't the right term, but those treatises I mentioned deal primarily with longswords, arming swords, greatswords, and messers. All of which were absolutely weapons of war, and instructions for fighting fully armoured enemies (like on the battlefield) were a common part of those treatises.

I assume you mean lightly armoured like leather or thick cloth?

As you'll need bodkin arrow heads and heavy clubbing weaponry to damage the proper stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So how about that interesting history stuff goons?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Somehow Ivan the Terrible doesn't strike me as the type of person that would regret killing anyone, let alone his son.

He was usually terrible to people he didn't like, not his own kin. Otherwise he'd be known as Ivan The Childless Single Slav Dude.

But taking green mercury as medication surely makes fools of us all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I dunno, I think Ivan the Son-Stabber could catch on.

It works both ways!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This woman could have married Napoleon, but then married one of his friends and became the Queen of Sweden instead.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

During his youth, Napoleon even got in the sappy romance novel game and published his own sort of middling doomed romance novel loosely baised on his his life up that point and his soldier fantasies.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

In 1935 he was riding George V

I'm a horrible man for smirking at this phrase, especially after the outcome of it all. But well, It is comedy gold!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

He spent much of his life trying to get as far away from carpentry as possible. Then they nailed him to a wooden cross.

How ironic.

Somebody could write a whole mega post on the Roman's sense of humour really.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shaka's rise, creation of the Zulu Kingdom as a military power and brief reign was before Napoleon's rise to power and outlived Napoleonic France under Napoleon for two more decades.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

I made a PYF Noble thread.

Have fun with the mega post explaining French nobles of the 18th century!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

Coincidentally, Napoleon's grandnephew, Eugene Bonaparte (styled Napoleon IV by Bonapartists) would end up dying at the hands of Zulus during the Anglo-Zulu war.

I can't believe I forgot that one. but yeah dude was caught short by a Zulu patrol scouting and they pretty much speared the man to death. Still, better than dying of TB wasting away in Austrian Army service!

EDIT: Oh, and the Zulu stabbing spear? Shaka invented that and it was one of the things that helped him rise to power. It was also, ironically assassinated with it. Double irony!

SeanBeansShako has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Despite the comical hats, the late 19th century was pretty loving dark.