Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

-The constitution of New Holland Australia directly lays claim to New Zealand.
-The first time Europeans saw firearms and grenades was probably in 1241 when the Mongols used them in the battle of Mohi during their invasion of Hungary.
-The Spanish conquered the Aztec empire in about 2 years. It took them about 170 years to fully defeat the Mayans. Mostly because the Aztecs had a fairly centralized state but the Mayan civilization was a huge mess of loosely connected villages and once mighty but decaying city states It didn't help that the Mayans were a lot poorer than the Aztecs which meant less loot which is very bad for motivating soldiers.
-The "S" in Hary S. Truman name stood for S. Just S.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of the things that the Greeks thought was really barbaric and horrible about the Persians is that they allowed women to lead armies and inherit property.

One funny thing about 300 is how much emphasis they put on the Persians being "an army of slaves" when slavery was mostly banned in the Persian empire since Zoroastrianism, the state religion of Persia, forbid slavery. Meanwhile the main reasons the Spartans could have a society where most men are soldiers is that they had an insane number of slaves to do all the actual work, which also helped fuel the need for more militarism since when you are outnumbered by your slaves you need to be able to crush rebellions easily.

I know 300 isn't really meant to be historically accurate since it's a film based on a Frank Miller comic that's based on a older film that's loosely based on real events but the battle is still thought about as a clash between freedom and tyranny and there are plenty of people who think that if the Persians had won the war the world would be worse. I mean the world would obviously be vastly different but at least a lot of Greeks would be more free under tyranny than under democracy.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Nov 10, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Red Bones posted:

In the 1690s Scotland attempted to get in on the colonialism business by trying to make a land route across Panama. This involved a huge chunk of Scotland's national wealth, because very few international backers were keen on the project, so the Scottish public contributed a lot of the funds in small donations. The plan was a complete failure, bankrupted large chunks of Scotland (it took away roughly 25% of Scotland's net wealth iirc) and was a significant factor in the country forming a union with England a few years later.

Scotland was sort of already in the colonialism business since most of the settlers that colonized northern-Ireland were Scottish.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Melbourne was originally going to be called Batmania, after John Batman.

This would have lead to awesomely named football teams such as the Batmania Demons, Batmania Heart, (now Batmania City), and the currently defunct basketball team East Batmania Spectres.

Batman is a city in south-eastern Turkey (or northern Kurdistan depending on who you ask). There is also a village in Iran called Batman.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Mongols also destroyed the library of Baghdad which the world center of science, philosophy and general learning and reportedly held a lot of very rare old texts. So basically the library of Alexandria all over again.

Besesoth posted:

You will discover that "nepos" meant both "grandson" and "nephew", as well as the more general "descendant."

Simlarly both ancient norse and modern Icelandic have "frćndi" which literally means "kinsman" but is used as the word for uncle, cousin and nephew. The female equivalent is "frćnka" which is also used in hip-hop slang as a word for women so you get songs that sound like the rapper is bragging how incestuous he is.

To tie this back to history it is used in hávamál.

Deyr fé deyja frćndur,
deyr sjálfur iđ sama;
en orđstír
deyr aldregi
hveim er sér góđan getur.

Deyr fé,
deyja frćndur,
deyr sjálfur iđ sama.
Ég veit einn,
ađ aldrei deyr;
dómur um dauđan hvern.

or

Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well.

Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But I know one thing that never dies,
The glory of the great dead.

Hávamal is a collection of poems where Odin lays down the law and tells people how to live a good life. It basically boils down to treating guests well, knowing when to shut up and doing everything in moderation. It was written down in the 12th or 13th century when Iceland had bee christian for centuries but is supposedly based on pagan rhymes that had been preserved orally for much longer. There are some obvious christian influences that no doubt creeped in throughout the centuries or were inserted by the author.

goose fleet posted:

Constantinople fell in 1453 and Columbus made his first voyage in 1492, so there are definitely people at the time that would have seen both the final collapse of the Roman Empire and the "discovery" of the New World.

It's possible that at least a few people born in the 90's will live to see the 22nd century having lived in three centuries and probably seen both the rise and fall of the cyber-Roman empire and the discovery of techno-Americ@.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Nov 13, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Napoleon was definitely the best Napoleon though. Napoleon II didn't really get a chance to do anything and Napoleon XIV was decent fun but sort of one note. Napoleon III was poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cleopatra was born 2084 years ago. At that point the pyramids were already about 2500 years old.

Alkydere posted:

With any luck, we'll also be the last generation

Dehumanize yourself and face the bloodshed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cythereal posted:

Shakespeare wrote a "I hosed your mom" joke in one of his plays.

It's form Titus Androniocus which is generally considered to be Shakespeare worst play, mostly because of all the extreme violence and depravity depicted in it. There are some theories that it might be meant to be some sort of parody of the revenge plays that were popular at the time. It's pretty rad.

DEMETRIUS
Villain, what hast thou done?
AARON
That which thou canst not undo.
CHIRON
Thou hast undone our mother.
AARON
Villain, I have done thy mother.

:drat:

Note that Aaron literally has hosed their mother and they're discussing the birth of a biracial bastard child resulting from that affair, something the sons worry will be bad for their mother's reputation and maybe piss off her husband who happens to be emperor of Rome. The mother also sends the baby to Aaron specifically asking him to please murder it so they can go about their affairs but he refuses, despite basically being satan, and flees Rome with the baby. Then the titular hero of the play murders the empress's sons, who previously raped and mutilated his daughter, bakes them into a pie and tricks their mother into eating it. He also kills honour kills his daughter. Basically everyone dies, the end.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Dec 3, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elizabethan England was basically insane.

Chrpno posted:

Yeah I know, is it because copyright?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

HEY GAL posted:

To be fair, that's a pretty good one-sentence description of a Japanese emperor

Similarly the monarch of the United Kingdom is the "sort-of pope" of the Church of England except slightly less divine.

Red Bones posted:

"a sort of pope" of the Shinto religion.

In 1970 playwright, novelist, filmmaker and bisexual bodybuilder Yukio Mishima attempted to overthrow the Japanese government and reinstate the emperor as a divine head of state. He did this with the aid of his private militia group the Tatenokai ( shield society in English). Mishima was very well respected, some of his works were quite controversial and avant garde but he was generally well regarded as he had been nominated for the Nobel prize in literature on three separate occasions. His militia was even allowed his militia to train with actual soldiers. He was however despised by the left for his extreme nationalist rhetoric and often accused of fascism.

On the 25th of November 1970 Mishima and four of his most trusted soldiers visited the Tokyo headquarters of the Japanese military. They took the commandant hostage and demanded that all the soldiers gather in the courtyard. The soldiers complied and Mishima attempted to rally them to his cause with a fiery speech but the soldiers simply booed, heckled and laughed at him. He then reentered the office and committed suicide by seppuku. Masakatsu Morita was assigned the duty of decapitating Mishima during the suicide but failed miserably. He than passed the duty on to Hiroyasu Koga before omitting seppuku himself in shame. Koga, who is still alive, was the last man to perform this duty. It should be noted that Mishima disliked Hirohito and thought that by denying is divinity the emperor had disrespected all those who died for Japan in WWII. So when he talked about restoring the divinity of the emperor who was more referring to the office than HHirohito as a person.

The coup attempt was totally unknown to almost all Tatonakai outside Mishima's inner circle but it was foreshadowed somewhat by many of his writings. Most notably Runaway Horses which deals with a conspiracy by a fascist terrorist cell to assassinate several powerful men, stage a coup and restore the power of the emperor. The book ends with one of the main characters committing seppuku.

Paul Schrader's masterpiece Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters(1985) depicts this events as well as scenes from some of Mishima's best known works and is one of the best films ever made. Despite having a Japanese cast, being almost entirely in Japanese and having been filmed in Japan the film was never screened in Japan out of fear of attacks from far-right groups that disliked that Mishima's alleged homosexuality was depicted in one scene where he is shown dancing with a man.

This might have been mentioned before but reading threads before posting in them is for scrubs.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Dec 19, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

It would've been fun to be able to watch the ancient Egyptians' reactions to Tut Ankh Amon's fame. When he lived he was the inbred son of a heretical pharao and he never accomplish much before he died. And now not even Ramses II, who was considered such a big deal that nine other pharaos took his name, is more well known than him.

Imagine if in the year 3000 the best known American president will be Martin Van Buren.

That would be pretty rad.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Whitey Bulger, although no Stalin, is known to be have a pretty brutal dude when he was head of the Boston Irish mob. When he and his girlfriend where in hiding they were known in the neighborhood as that nice older couple that liked to take walks and always stopped to pet and chat with any cats and dogs they met on the way. They were also feeding a stray that lived in the area and would take him to the vet when he got ill. I've also heard that Whitey is pretty good with kids and generally a pretty warm and fun guy when he isn't murdering you.

I think that generally speaking people who do horrible things are just as human as the rest of us.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That bear's cousin was Czar of Russia through Queen Victoria(who is the ancestor of all modern European bears) and the two were apparently very hard to tell apart. There is even a picture of them together where the bear is in the czar's regalia and the czar naked and tearing apart a salmon with his teeth.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Among Hitler's favorite reading material was Henry Ford's The International Jew, pulp westerns by Karl May and Uncle Tom's Cabin.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you were a goy and weren't already in a concentration camp for dissidents by the start of the war you were probably at least a bit of a Nazi. Like Naziish.

Unless you were in the resistance, secretly saving Jews or part of of one of those plots to assassinate Hitler. In the last case you might even still be a bit of a Nazi.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Jan 1, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Widukind had some good ideas.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

An obscure Austrian painter who had some potential but could never quite get people to look right. He eventually committed suicide.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WATCH CHARLEMAGNE START A loving VIKING AGE!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Carolingian renaissance was neat but the massacre of Verden was a pretty big dick move.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Widukind did nothing wrong.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

The symbolism of viking weapons:
The sword: The Norse word for sword, sverđ , literally means penis. It was connected to Freyr who amongst other things was the god of fertility. It was believed that sword amulets improved your virility.
The ax: The ax symbolized strength and health. It was connected with Tor.
The spear: It was believed that Odin started the first battle by throwing a spear. The spear was therefore considered a royal weapon and vikings would often start the battle by throwing a spear.
The shield: The shield was considered a bit feminine because its connection with Freya. Like a mother protecting her child the shield would protect the warrior.

Despite being Odin's weapon of choice spears were a lot more common than swords since they required a lot less iron and were therefore significantly cheaper and easier to make. Making a proper sword was very expensive and time consuming so if you saw a Norseman with a sword he was probably fairly wealthy and maybe even a nobleman of some sort.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Jan 16, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Total Depravity would be a great name for a punk band.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought the entire point of the book was that the idea that Europeans dominated the world because they were somehow smarter or in any way superior was pure bullshit and it was basically pure luck beyond anyone's control.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Now I have to add 'Straighten Coolidge's tie' to my list of Time Machine goals.

I've seen quite a few pictures of people from the 20s with crooked ties. Maybe it was in fashion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Abraham Lincoln had a very high pitched voice sometimes described as sounding like a tea kettle. He was also possibly gay making him the second gay president after James Buchanan.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shakespeare sounded like a pirate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s
or rather the stereotypical pirate accent is very similar to the way people spoke back in the Elizabethan era.

This has probably been posted at least 20 times in this thread but I give few fucks.

canyoneer posted:

Lincoln was probably not gay. None of his contemporaries thought so, and the only biographer who thinks so is a gay author who wants to sell books

I mean I've heard a lot about Lincoln being as gay as old dad’s hatband but I've never really read up on the issue.

Next you're going to tell me that neither Michelangelo nor Leonardo da Vinci were gay. I mean at least with them you have Leonardo being accused of sodomy and Michelangelo writing all those really passionate and homo-erotic poems to dudes.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Feb 2, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it's safe to assume that everyone in the past loved the cock until we get some evidence to the contrary.

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's called a west country accent.

It's pretty neat how Robert Newton really exaggerating his own accent for a film role could make that accent iconic and synonymous with piracy. Like imagine if Newton had been from Glasgow. All pirate movies would have subtitles in America.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Roblo posted:

I'm not sure that's strictly true. Although he was West Country (Dorset, in fact. Which I know because he's from the same small town as me and has the same first/surname. Weird) the standard rural Dorset accent isn't that pirate. I was under the impression it was more Bristolian (which is quite distinctive) since so many sailed out of Bristol. Likely with a bit of Plymouth in the mix.

Edit: had a look around, and some people suggest it came from Newton. Ehh. I would suggest the west Country accent is the closest we have to it, given that's where many were from. Perhaps that's why they cast him in the first place. Also I doubt he was exaggerating much. I come across people who speak like that a fair bit even these days.

I'm pretty sure Long John Silver was meant to be from Bristol. So it's not unlikely that Newton's natural accent helped him get the job since he was from the same general region as the character he was playing. Though I'm pretty sure none of the previous film portrayals took the accent anywhere near as far as he did.

The most famous pirate of all time* Edward "Blackbeard" Teach(or possibly Thatch) was also from Bristol.

His flag was pretty cool:

It depicts a skeleton with a goblet in one hand and a spear in the other stabbing a bleeding heart.

His flag ship was called Queen Anne's Revenge. It's not known exactly where the name came from but some have suggested that Teach was a veteran of the War of Spanish Succession, known as Queen Anne's War in the colonies. At very least it is likely that Teach was a Stuart loyalist.

Teach seems to have been very aware that he as a pretty scary looking man with his bushy beard and broad shoulders and used this to his advantage to strike fear into his enemies. He would put lit fuses or matches on his hat to look extra scary during battle. However despite actively trying to look like a madman and having a spooky skeleton on his flag he seems to have been a pretty fair captain and treated his hostages fairly well and not been any more cruel or violent than his colleagues.

Queen Anne's Revenge ran ashore in the spring of 1718 and was damaged beyond repair. The crew was dispersed and Blackbeard accepted a pardon only to return to piracy a few months later. Robert Maynard of the Royal Navy was then dispatched to hunt down Teach in November and managed to track down Teach only a few days later. Manyard had more men than Teach but no cannons. Teach sailed into shallower waters which were not much trouble for his smaller ship but caused Manyard's far larger ship to become stuck leaving him vulnerable to cannon fire. After a few volleys the pirates assumed there were only a handful of survivors and boarded the ship only to be met with several men that Maynard had ordered to take cover below deck. Teach and Maynard fought each other with such ferocity that Maynard's sword broke. Eventually Teach was killed but it took five shots and around 20 sword slashes to bring him down. His head was cut off and mounted on Maynard's bowspit

Some other famous pirate flags:

Edward England:

Richard Worley:

Emmanuel Wynne:

"Calico Jack" Rackham:

Henry Every:

Stede Bonnet:

Edward Low:

"Black Bart" Roberts:

Thomas Tew:

Walter Kennedy and/or Jean Thomas Dulaein:

John Quelch/John Phillips/?????

Christopher Moody

Some of these may be based on vague descriptions and largely guess work.

*Non-fictional at least. I'm pretty sure more people know Jack Sparrow than Blackbeard. Henry Morgan might also give him a run for his money since he has a very popular rum named after him though I doubt most people that drink it are aware that the Captain Morgan in question was an actual person.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been a HBO miniseries about the rivalry between them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Present posted:

Following the Reconquista, the Spanish Jews were given the option of converting to Christianity or GTFO of Spain. The Jews that refused to covert and crossed the border into Portugal got enslaved by the portugese.

Most of them settled in the Ottoman empire where they had to pay a special tax, like all non-Muslims, but were protected under the law from persecution.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I believe it is an hour glass not a goblet. The symbolism of a time piece in these flags was essential as it was saying to the (hopefully) badly armed and manned merchantmen 'you have minutes before you don't have a choice in being attacked or not. Surrender.'

Yeah I don't know how I missed that. Skeletons and hourglasses is like death symbolism 101.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

So like, most languages in Europe are Indo-European. IE has branches into numerous languages, basically all languages in Europe that aren't Basque, Finnish, and I think one more.

Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian, Sami, Meadow Mari, Hill Mari, Khanty, Mansi, Komi and probably a bunch of ones I'm forgetting are all Finno-Ugric languages and not at all related to the Indo-European languages.

I'm also not a linguist and probably a bit full of poo poo somehow.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

dobbymoodge posted:

PYF Historical Stultifying Conjecture.

E: for content, there have been at least three famous defenestrations in Prague.

Wanna write a history book about the three defenestrations of Prague their causes and consequences just so I can use the word "defenestration" hundreds of times.

Mods please change thread title to "Defenestration Appreciation Station"

tia

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trying to reconstruct pagan believes through neo-paganism is sort of tough because a lot of the time the original pagans didn't write anything down and at best everything was written down a couple of centuries later by their very christian descendants which leaves a lot of room for distortion. That being said Lithuanian Paganism was strong until the late 14th century while pretty much everyone else pussied out and converted by the dawn of the 11th century and the Sami were still predominantly pagan in the 18th century. There is also the Mari of Russia many of whom combined Christianity with their native traditions to create a syncretic religion where Jesus and God and Mary are worshiped alongside the old gods.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Google seems to show me that Sami peoples just look like regular old white people. Still, I think making the Sami guy in frozen a Polynesian would have been more culturally appropriate.
Most, if not all, of the people complaining about Sami being white in Frozen were Americans who just assumed that all native people look like the natives of America because they Not realizing that the Sami are basically indistinguishable from the other Scandinavians unless they're wearing traditional clothes. Some look slightly "eastern" but only in the same way Finns do.

So basically ingnorant people complaining that their badly researched world view isn't being represented in cartoons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah but he was god and you're not really supposed to hear god's voice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How come you never see that stone in any tourist material. "Come to London, we have a stone that's pretty old.". I mean London was founded around the year 43 so it's a pretty recent stone compared to the city itself and you've got to wonder what the stone was doing for the first thousand or so years of London being London.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Mar 24, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I read somewhere that around the time the first Crusade was happening Christians were still the majority in the Holy Land but they were mostly from sects that were considered heretical by European Christians and/or they were simply indistinguishable from the Muslim to an outsider so they got put to the sword anyway.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's always good when the French use their national superpower of being total dicks for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Strangely enough back in the day movies in color were seen as being less realistic than black and white films because since color was quite expensive it was mostly reserved for epics and musicals while more realistic, and cheaper, films usually used black and white. Battle of Algiers(1966) even purposefully used the grainiest black and white film they could find to imitate raw newsreel footage. The film starts with text telling you that not a single shot of news or stock footage was used for the film, it really is just that realistic.

Everyone should watch Battle of Algiers, it's fantastic and also deals with the dickishness of the French. Also some of the heroes are literally Muslim suicide bombers.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Apr 29, 2016