Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Alhazred posted:

In Norway people usually named themselves after the farm they lived on and changed their surnames if they moved. Permanent surnames didn't became common before around 1900. Around 70% of norwegian surnames (like my own surname) is the names of the farm where their families originally came from.

Another big chunk of norwegian surnames are patronyms that got turned into family names, like Andersen, Jonsen and so on. (look for the -sen ending) My surname is one of these.

One disturbingly common name is "Ødegaard" meaning "desolate farm" signifying that sombody had taken over a farm that had been abandoned, normally due to the plague killing everybody on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
I have seen modern people use the word "respect" in a similar way to old concepts of honor

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Some atheists are more zealous about their religious opinions than most believers

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Alhazred posted:

This is more or less what happened in Norway. In 1998 the church decided to digitize their records, but instead of copying the church books they copied the national government records and removed the people they assumed was not christian. Because they removed immigrants and children of immigrants this led to the king (who has head of the norwegian church) was removed from the church records (his grandparents were immigrants from Denmark).

This also meant that I became a member of the norwegian church even though I was never baptized and my parents had had themselves and my siblings removed from the church books before 1998.

They also asked other religious organisations for permission to check their records aganst the church archives to avoid claiming people that were members other places.
some said yes, some said no, and some of the ones who said no proceeded to make a huge fuss that some of thieir members showed up in the church records. :rolleyes:

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
The cannons (that startet a fire in the floatplane hangar) were from 1892. The Torpedoes that actually sunk it where Whiteheads, aka the first torpedo ever designed.

The Blücher had been commisioned less then a year earlier

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Alhazred posted:

The torpedoes were from 1901 and the only ones manning the batteries were students form the military school who were in the middle of a lesson when the call came. The commander in charge wasn't even sure the torpedoes would work when he pushed the button to launch them.

The torpedo battery was built in 1901 but it fired torpedoes designed earlier.

And while the guns were old, a 28 cm cannon at point blank is not something a cruiser wants to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Alhazred posted:

(the title of this sculpture is literally Smash Nazism)

My favorite bit of public artwork tbh. (you can't tell from that angle, but the hammer is literally smashing a swastika.)