Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Josef bugman posted:

He had to rub the end of it in order to make it grow.

Should also be pointed out that Thor is a fertility god.

Shame about his imperfect hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The new testament and the wizard of oz: a bimetallic contention

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm the russian with nothing on my mind.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I’m the Turk OR Greek

If they really wanted to piss them both off they would have put Turk (Greek).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

canyoneer posted:

He didn't even use it either, his oral care routine was Walther-based

I don't get it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I have it on good authority that hitler is still alive.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's he got against gas powered aircraft

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, stuff that is obviously harmful but does not play into the grand scheme of evolution. In nature, the ones born with that stuff just get eaten and die early, and only the positive genetic straits survive. We just don't observe that because they simply do not survive to adult age.

For example in nature, becoming a blonde or red-head (or any other color variation) is usually harmful, because it also fucks your ability to blend into the background and hide.

Just wear hats, duh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pretty much everything that exists is doomed anyway. It isn't a matter of if something gets destroyed so much as when.

Thanks, Tyson.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, but it's a similar concept -- finding the edges in the rules that allow you to do things that wouldn't be feasible in a real war. It just so happens that the case I'm thinking of also involved one side doing monstrous things like sending out thousands of sailors in tiny speedboats with no armor, and then sinking your own boats (including the men on them) when they aren't able to fight any more. Come to think, I think part of the reason the speedboats worked was that the rules de facto restricted how many targets a ship could destroy in a turn, so it wasn't so much that the speedboats could dodge as that they just overwhelmed the enemy with a blob of units. Sure, whatever you hit dies, but you have to do that a thousand times or more before the end of the match; you're dealing damage 1HP at a time while they're dealing it much faster.

I'm kind of sad I can't find the original writeup (which included more detail about why the winning strategy involved going all-speedboats); all my attempts to search just turn up actual board/tabletop/computer games.

It was a space combat sim game IIRC

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hm, guess maybe it wasn't. Thought it was.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Biplane posted:

When I was in the army in Norway my security clearance was withheld for six months due to my paternal grandfather being labelled a communist for fleeing Spain during Francos regime. I was told this by my CO in 2007.

The Fox News crowd will have you know thats because he wasnt communist enough

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

MisterBibs posted:

The seige of Tyre, where Alexander The Great had a goddamn road built to take an island city is well known, but thanks to the meme thread, I looked up some details and Jesus wept it's like they wanted a dude who was really good at conquering good and offended:

Do not taunt Alexander The Great, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

He was actually known as Alexander the Up and Comer at that point, but hindsight is a bitch

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

the real trick is to get a bunch of golden vessels and fill them with coins

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Portaging a golden canoe out of constantinople

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

...cleaner than yours?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Why not just smear the honey on a stick that you carry around

First time you'd get some attention.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Alhazred posted:

There was actually some instances were egyptians not only sold themselves into slavery but paid a monthly fee in order to remain slaves. They became temple slaves because that protected them against forced hard labor such as digging canals.

Southern conservatives, in the vein of cat worshiping weirdos: there's so much we can learn from these ancient peoples

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bony tony posted:

It's a dynamite-throwing unit in Red Alert?

It places the dynamite! PLACES.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

duckmaster posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLduvnW-FA

Pope Leo XVIII, almost certainly the earliest born person to be filmed.

In 1810 the French were being pushed out of Portugal in the Penninsular War and the US annexed the Republic of West Florida. Mind blowing.

Widely considered to be a bad move by the US

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A daguerreotype for ants

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Krankenstyle posted:

That guy is cool af

That's not an empty quote.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

My post (that) was not an empty quote. That dude owns.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Kanine posted:

i guess he was ok if you only give a poo poo about white people

edit: oh also non-disabled people since he was into eugenics

You really want to be sad then realize he absolutely was fairly progressive compared to his contemporaries who believed that poo poo and worse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Kanine posted:

and extremely conservative compared to his contemporaries who didn't believe that poo poo or worse (decent people)

Is this the point where we go cherry picking contemporaries because neither side wins in that case.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

verbal enema posted:

Washington Washington
6 foot 8 weighed a loving ton

I find myself singing this out loud like all the time now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Welp, now I know what a surfacing repressed memory is.

Why would you repress that. It's fricking rad

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Khazar-khum posted:

Lincoln punched Andrew Jackson so hard that Jackson flew forward through time and space and ended up as Joe Jackson, patriarch of the Jackson 5.

Still a huge rear end in a top hat. Also, now dead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

System Metternich posted:

In Germany they find unexploded ordinance from WW2 at least once a week, more than 70 years after the war. The only time this ever really makes more than local news is when the number of people that have to be evacuated is unusually large. Back in 2016 they found a 1,300 kg (iirc) bomb a couple of days before Christmas in Augsburg which led to a good 10% of the population (more than 25,000 people) having to spend Christmas outside of their homes worrying that a 78 year old bomb might blast their house to hell in the meantime. I’m pretty sure that this sort of stuff is one of the main reasons why Germans are to this day pretty set against military interventions abroad.

Berlin's got a lot of these because of the local geography (as well as historical administrative importance). Like the bedrock lies under a bunch of mud or something which would slow bombs down at which point they'd bounce off the bedrock, nose upwards. Or something like that, someone's brought it up a bunch of times in the milhist thread

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Those cows are gonna die real quick if your trying to feed a city with their milk every day.

That joke about the automatic milking machine except this time it's actually used correctly

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Samovar posted:

They were all executed for many reasons.

Also, at the baptism of the last Dauphin, he managed to do as babies do and partake in a fecal explosion. Dye artists made a shade of brown based off of the incident.

That's a hell of an act

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's no heffalumps and woozles.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's against the law of good sense!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

that is neat. i panned to the right to see more of australia and waited a few seconds for the rest of the map to load before i realised i was being dumb

Probably lost to the ages but man I could totally dig looking at some native trade routes and relationships around the world.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is like the plan to strap firebombs to bats and airdrop them over cities. The idea being that the bats would seek shelter in the houses, then the bombs would go off, and cause more damage than if they were dropped normally. They stuck the bats in the fridge to make them hibernate, stuck bombs on them, dropped them out of planes...and the bats didn't wake up, and thus couldn't fly.

More details

I've heard all sorts of things about the efficacy (including that they were actually worked better than typical incendiaries) of the bat bombs and it's kinda my favorite weird ww2 fact.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If your animals get hungry, feed the children to the pets.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You can tell he's wise because despite it being his first photo, he knows that it's better to take a nap while it's developing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It'd be more weird if he didn't get hurt by a rhino.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I remember hearing about some British guy a couple hundred years ago IIRC who was both freaky strong and like a very accomplished walker. Like he covered huge distances walking and could lift a guy up one handed from a standing position sort of thing. I cannot remotely figure anything out via google though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Think it was one of these guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Barclay_Allardice

The whole family was apparently strong. I'm not entirely sure if the Tarrare guy is loving with me though.