Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Those huge monoculture logging forests are really disquieting to walk through, they're a hellscape in terms of biodiversity. You go down from millions of diverse species down to like a few dozen, just waiting for the next failure cascade to take the whole thing out. Human industry is a hell of a thing.. everything it touches turns to poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Apart from slav, another word that also descends from the latin "sclavus" (slave), via a dialectal version of the italian "schiavo", is "ciao" (Venetian: s'ciavo). As in, "ciao, bella"

A lot of languages/dialects in central and eastern europe (Bavarians included) use "Servus" in the same way

e: for clarity, i mean that the phrase descends from usage that was essentially "(your humble) servant/slave"

boofhead has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Aug 27, 2021

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

exquisite tea posted:

Incidentally this is also why most hardcore endurance athletes are highly anxious people.

Sorry I might be too tired but could you/someone explain this please? I'm not following but I am curious

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Ahh that makes sense, thank you

I got turned about on the cause/effect and thought they were saying that if you run long enough, you eventually unveil some sort of primal cosmic horror

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

RFC2324 posted:

Do you honestly believe thats possible?

Personally I am against the reforms. My mama didn't raise no mule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

BrigadierSensible posted:

But on the language stuff: My dad learned English as a second language in Bengalaru. So when he moved to Australia, everybody he met thought that he was talking like Little Lord Fauntleroy because he was taught the ye olde posh formal ways of speaking English. Given his first job in Australia was working in Burnie, (a small town in Tasmania), the blokes at the cricket club soon taught him how to speak Australian. oval office

It's a much less extreme anecdote but I lived in a somewhat posh part of England from the age of 4-7 before moving back to Australia to a public school. I had to lose the accent pretty quickly because it absolutely did not fit in, but it apparently never went completely away, to the extent where I was 18 and working in bars and a few old timers would ask me where I was from, and keep pressing until I mentioned living in England for a bit as a kid, at which point they went "ahh there it is then".