Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Orkin Mang posted:

hitler bad :mad:

Hitler... good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

God broke one of His own commandments when He cuckolded Joseph and that made Jesus a bastard and therefore not the rightful King of Israel.

Lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Thankfully Belushi turned things around after meeting Prez Rickard.

Nice

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Actually the romans fought with M1 Abrams MBT's and Apache gunships, as evidenced by a comic I read years ago. Did you know catholic soldiers travelled through time to the roman empire?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Did you know that Catholic soldiers didn't even have to travel through time to get to the Roman Empire?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. THESE soldiers travelled from the 21st century.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hitler probably celebrated 20/4 though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Once a Nazi ally, always a Nazi ally.

It's like every other version of the old joke where people talk about all the good things they've done but they're never known as that specific kind of do-gooder but the one bad thing, well, that's them. In my experience, the punchline is, "But you gently caress one sheep . . ." but pretty much anything, including, "You ally with the Axis Powers once . . ." works.

I always thought the finnish-german alliance was more an alliance of convenience for both parts (though less so for germany) that only begun after the Soviets declared war on the finns. At least thats how it was presented back in high school.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Red Bones posted:

I think some scientists did try to eat mammoth once, but it tasted about as good as you'd expect defrosted ten thousand year old meat to. Maybe when they finish cloning a new one they can put some sort of restaurant chain together.

"Scientists" (most often helpers and russians) eat mammoth every year up in Siberia, supposedly ita gamey but totally edible.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

value-brand cereal posted:

Imagine a post-fight battlefield and you had to wander around chopping off sweaty greasy man dicks because your God King demands it. I think I'd quit.

That is why you will never walk the field of reeds

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

When I was in the army in Norway my security clearance was withheld for six months due to my paternal grandfather being labelled a communist for fleeing Spain during Francos regime. I was told this by my CO in 2007.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Trabant posted:

My takeaway from this is that the Norwegian secret police ain't doing poo poo.

They are indeed very bad.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I know you can request whatever documentation the government has on your relatives from the nazi occupation of Norway. Theres apparently a whole archive and you can apply for it and theyll send it. Like my ex who found out that her great-great uncle or whatever had his hair salon confiscated by the government for collaborating with the nazis. Which might not be as bad as it sounds because apparently a lot of poo poo was outright stolen under dubious legal circumstances in the immediate aftermath of the war.

https://www.arkivverket.no/ if anyones interested.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

System Metternich posted:

Hey! :mad:

This is something I often think about : how do we decide what is of more importance: an individual's personal rights vs the collective right and desire to attain knowledge. For historians this becomes especially delicate in matters of archaeological digs at burial sites, because I'm pretty sure that eg all those ancient Egyptians that now adorn various museums as mummies wouldn't have wanted that. What do we do with their right to have their religious wishes do we do when for example Native Americans refuse archaeological digs to be carried out at their sacred grounds and demand that skeletons unearthed at earlier digs be returned? Or for a more western example: when they found the bones of a Medieval English king some years back who had died at some battle, there was a lively discussion about if he should be reburied at all, and if yes, if the ceremony should be Catholic (seeing as he had died long before the Reformation) or Anglican (he was a king, after all, and his successors had instituted Anglicanism as the English state religion)? They settled on the former, for what it's worth.

I remember reading about a peculiar difficulty that may arise when you're a historian working in the archives of the Roman Inquisition. In some especially difficult cases, it might have been necessary for the investigators to record knowledge that had been given under the seal of the confessional, which by ecclesiastical law demands absolute secrecy - breaking this seal is among he worst things you can do as a Catholic priest. There are still some case records in the archive where parts of the files are forever sealed, because they contain things told to a priest of the Inquisition under the seal of he confessional, and now that both the person who told those things and the confessor are dead, no one will ever be able to read them again.

I would read them oiut loud to the priests :hehe:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Look no further than the Finno-Korean Hyperwar.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mekchu posted:

I'm a bit confused how "a president did judo s rad" wound up being about eugenics but whatever.
_______________________________/

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lincoln saved the union from traitors and vampires and I highly doubt any goon could take him.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It's estimated that it is ca. 50 000 mines in the norwegian coastline.

The entire norwegian coastline was fortified to hell and back by the germans, there are old bunkers and trenchworks everywhere, its pretty rad. The mines and old bombs they dig up every other week less so. The army's ordinance disposal team goes out hundreds of times every year.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

quote:

"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."

I ran across this quote recently, by Charles James Napier, regarding the burning of widows in what is now Pakistan. The quote itself is pretty great so I read up a bit about this guy. At various points he was a general, a governor and the commander in chief of India. His entire family were prominent members of the british aristocracy, but as far as I can tell they were less lovely in general than their peers. At one point he conquered all of Pakistan because why not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_James_Napier

This link has a good summary of his career, as well as links to his three brothers and father who all were fairly prominent members of the armed forces back in the day.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

big dyke energy posted:

Milk comes from cows.

milk is stored in the females balls

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

verbal enema posted:

Cows live for awhile man

cows are basically land sharks my dude. theyre smooth as hell and theyll die and rot if not in constant movement

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

We have all been talking about german war cows for a while now and I have appreciated it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

In Norway this is called kebab-norwegian because middle-eastern immigrants has added new words to our language.

Only assholes actually call it "kebab-norsk", the rest of us just call it "language".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HairyManling posted:

Someone tried to gently caress the borehole, didn’t they? That has to be the real reason.

But enough about your mother.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

#blessed

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pidan posted:

It was supposed to be more merciful and modern than having some guy hack at the victim's neck until the head came off. In Europe at least, you could get people to show up for an execution with any method, if anything they thought the guillotine was too quick to be worth watching. George Carlin has a whole long podcast about this.

Condemning people to the guillotine is just the goon equivalent of hanging from lamppost / first against the wall. Because of that one meme.

Guillotining enemies (read: billionaires) is an excellent way to get rid of them, it's got spectacle and it's reasonably humane.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Duodecimal posted:

Wait, so what happened? Did the US ever build a navy?

Yes, and the world has suffered for it ever since.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

"A map of The Somme after the battle. Each grid square is 250 square metres. The numbers written in blue are the amount of bodies found within them."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ariong posted:

He also introduced us to sewing young girls’ vulvas shut, which thankfully didn’t catch on to quite the same degree.

What the gently caress

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Government Handjob posted:

Don't Norwegian officers still wear these on occasion? I swear I remember seeing it on the stiff necked dorks that were on barracks or mess hall duty.

Some do. I stole the one I had to wear when i was a guard at the army war college :hehe:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

How do you write?

:lol:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Government Handjob posted:

I was the most lackluster dude in a company of losers that made Beetle Bailey's camp look like a well functioning war machine.

To be fair, that’s most of the norwegian armed forces.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Zudgemud posted:

And mountains.

We for real have mountains filled with US war supplies, tanks, humvees etc.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

She was a powerful woman with a lot of enemies, of course apocryphal tales about the crazy poo poo she did got repeated ad nauseum until they got accepted as truthiness.

actually all women are succubi

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kennel posted:

The Hyperwar is obviously a joke

say that to the faces of the billions of autistic children in the world you coward.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

golden bubble posted:

No matter what, do not literally eat the rich, or use them to make a salve for cuts and burns.

you can go to hell

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Much like the ships they build.

much like youre posting

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Against my better judgement I checked out the comments and of course there’s a dude standing up for the helpless SS.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I really doubt that that WW2 soldiers walked around with pubic hairs in their pockets.

that's probably the least grody thing in a WW2 soldiers pocket, my man.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tribbledirigible posted:

So if public hair gets ancient and noble warriors to conquer far off lands, what do armpit hairs get the fair damsel? A monk skilled in calligraphy?

The UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phy posted:

Cutting a lock of public hair in honor of a secret affair seems counterproductive

this guy doesnt gently caress