Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'd never heard Blank Check before but these guys are a delight. I downloaded their Robocop episode, hoping for the best.

Once I played Codenames with little cousins and they used kid moon logic to let me know I shouldn't guess the first two obvious words based on their clue, but instead I should guess the third and fourth best answers. This didn't work very well. Anyway that was what I thought of when Wiger messed up Family Food and had them begin guessing at the 8th most popular answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
There was a Netflix movie a couple years ago that I thought was pretty good. I think Sandler went through a phase where studios would let him do whatever so he made kid movies where he goes on vacation with his friends. The "Jack and Jill period".

That Netflix movie is called The Meyerowitz Stories and Sandler did a great job. Whoever his manager is has really turned it around for him.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'd never heard Blank Check before but these guys are a delight. I downloaded their Robocop episode, hoping for the best.

Once I played Codenames with little cousins and they used kid moon logic to let me know I shouldn't guess the first two obvious words based on their clue, but instead I should guess the third and fourth best answers. This didn't work very well. Anyway that was what I thought of when Wiger messed up Family Food and had them begin guessing at the 8th most popular answer.

Just know that Robocop is Griffin’s favorite movie and he really runs wild in that ep even more than normal.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Just know that Robocop is Griffin’s favorite movie and he really runs wild in that ep even more than normal.

Yeah it’s a good episode but it is peak Griffin.

If you like their dynamic at all though you’ll like the podcast. I’ve really enjoyed watching along with the podcast and hitting some filmographies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

They're currently in the midst of George Miller if you want a real loving rollercoaster of a filmography that stays almost entirely excellent throughout. Also not too huge of a commitment at 9 films (I'm kind of dreading the Zemeckis run with 19 movies).

It's pretty wild how no matter the genre every one of his movies is distinctly George Miller. Even the super depressing Oscar Bait Dying Child movie Lorenzo's Oil is shot like Mad Max.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Jack Bandit posted:

Yeah it’s a good episode but it is peak Griffin.

If you like their dynamic at all though you’ll like the podcast. I’ve really enjoyed watching along with the podcast and hitting some filmographies I wouldn’t have watched otherwise.

There's one major problem I have with Blank Check: the ad breaks are awful.

They just go "ding dong" in a random place, and then do a never-ending bit that's not really that funny. It's almost impossible to skip over the ads because they sound like the regular podcast and there's no clear way to tell whether you're in the ad break or not. Drives me crazy.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats

Casey Finnigan posted:

There's one major problem I have with Blank Check: the ad breaks are awful.

They just go "ding dong" in a random place, and then do a never-ending bit that's not really that funny. It's almost impossible to skip over the ads because they sound like the regular podcast and there's no clear way to tell whether you're in the ad break or not. Drives me crazy.

I started listening to the show when i heard they had an episode about Heat with Gabrus and the first ad break i heard was so confusing because it is so “out of nowhere.”

Really fun podcast - I love contextualizing showbiz careers and behind the scenes factoids and that is a huge portion of what the show is, but i really find the ads too long and too frequent.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love the ad reads because they're just another excuse for Griffin to torment David.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anyone who hasn't heard one of the greatest moments in Blank Check and perhaps one of the greatest podcast moments of all time needs to listen to this. It will take a few minutes but the payoff is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNLTgUZ8do4&t=3792s

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Blank Check is my jam (but sometimes Griffin runs ramshod over another podcast, which doesn't happen here but definitely happened on Good Christian Fun recently). They do such a great job of finding what's worthwhile about any movie they talk about, even if they hate it, and they've opened me up to having more expansive taste in the last year or so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Srice posted:

Anyone who hasn't heard one of the greatest moments in Blank Check and perhaps one of the greatest podcast moments of all time needs to listen to this. It will take a few minutes but the payoff is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNLTgUZ8do4&t=3792s

absolutely devastating

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This guy who got a just rice burrito on the Chipotle app made me angry. The way that Chipotle operates is built around asking you to specify exactly what you want, at every step of the way. Why would the app ordering experience be any different/who would opt to blindly choose a burrito and then just move on.

He then reveals he used Postmates and, shockingly, had a bad experience*. So it wasn't even the Chipotle app. Boo this man.

(*When I get to the frozen food eps I'm fully expecting Mitch to hire someone on Taskrabbit to either operate his oven for him, or purchase and heat up the stuff at their place and bring it to him.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 17, 2020

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Today's episode was so incredibly stupid for so many reasons but I couldn't stop listening

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It might possibly be the most inane thing they've ever done. I'm so glad I rejoined The Double.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
That JK Rowling joke made me laugh as long as Wiger.

I love these idiots and how seriously they commit.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

two grown men don't know how much a litre of pepsi weighs? :confused:

it weighs a kilo, about 2 pounds

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

piratepilates posted:

two grown men

Here's where you went wrong

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

piratepilates posted:

two grown men don't know how much a litre of pepsi weighs? :confused:
I'm also surprised the dudes who set up a bracket where 1 cheeseburger fought against 2 cheeseburgers don't understand the elegance and intellectual history of standardized measurements.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

You do learn metric poo poo in American schools but other than the ones that are relevant to a weed consumer you immediately forget all of them if you don't pursue science in college.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Sorry, was I hearing correctly that Nick was eating unseasoned French fries and complaining that they were bland?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Mary Curry, the inventor of penicillin.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Doughboys goodboys:
"Our regularly scheduled Double will instead release tomorrow (Wednesday) in observance of  #BlackOutTuesday.

If you're able, please support your local aid orgs. Or, you can donate to organizations we're supporting that fight racism and police brutality here:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ab_mn 

"

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Mitch is on The Knife's podcast Self Esteem Party today. She's slightly more restrained than she is when she's on Doughboys but she still can't resist Knifing him a few times.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I finally subscribed to the Double because I'd already burned through all my other podcast backlogs in quarantine. This is basically every other episode:

Wiger: We're crafting our MOUNT RUSHMORE of July 4th eats!
Mitch: An-an-ana-and-and, there should be fifth president, who stands over the rest.

Wiger: We're each going to assemble a SINISTER SIX of Halloween candies!
Mitch: Uh, a-a-a-a-a-a-and, well, uh...and a Number Seven that's worse than the rest.

Wiger: We're naming our TWELVE DISCIPLES of Easter Basket treats!
Mitch: I-I-I-I-I-and I think there should be a Judas, too. One more than what you said.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I finally subscribed to the Double because I'd already burned through all my other podcast backlogs in quarantine. This is basically every other episode:

Wiger: We're crafting our MOUNT RUSHMORE of July 4th eats!
Mitch: An-an-ana-and-and, there should be fifth president, who stands over the rest.

Wiger: We're each going to assemble a SINISTER SIX of Halloween candies!
Mitch: Uh, a-a-a-a-a-a-and, well, uh...and a Number Seven that's worse than the rest.

Wiger: We're naming our TWELVE DISCIPLES of Easter Basket treats!
Mitch: I-I-I-I-I-and I think there should be a Judas, too. One more than what you said.

Yeah. It is pretty great.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Hey Wigey

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

No peeking

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WEH posted:

No peeking

if you don't peek the oven fries will get burnt

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cheers to the Dani Fernandez episode, she is hilarious. Jeers to the Hodgman episode, I did not care for his weird alpha nerd gatekeeping and trying to explain the concept and history of Doughboys to the Doughboys.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
John Hodgman is always like that, jockeying to be the king nerd in the room and condescending to everyone else. I think that's supposed to be the joke? Feels to me like he did the Mac vs. PC commercials and never got out of character as "PC".

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I like Hodgman's weird prickliness, and David Rees is a bonafide weirdo. I thought it was a fun episode.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hey Nick and Mitch are on this week's Your Kickstarter Sucks, whose hosts you may remember from the excellent Cook-Out episode. It's great!

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I saw hodgeman not far from the TJ’s he was talking about in December. I wanted to say hi bc I lived in Brooklyn for 7 years and never once said hi to a famous person and I was about to move, but he looked like a prick and I was afraid he’d be mean

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I saw hodgeman not far from the TJ’s he was talking about in December. I wanted to say hi bc I lived in Brooklyn for 7 years and never once said hi to a famous person and I was about to move, but he looked like a prick and I was afraid he’d be mean

It’s not just you. I saw him once and didn’t approach because he was giving off severe “oh god everyone please just leave me alone” vibes. Granted, it was a rough situation - he was buying guinea pig habitat stuff at a pet supply store the day after Christmas just as a blizzard was starting to roll in, which tells me he likely didn’t know about the guinea pig(s) ahead of time and was rushing to get these things before getting snowed in.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I normally quite enjoy Hodgman episodes but this one wasn't my favorite. I do have some breaking chews for the Dallas area though, Jollibee is opening here. The Jollibee ep was one of my favorites and I cant wait to eat their (apparently) weirdly sweet food.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Same I also usually like Hodgman but yes that episode did grind to a halt when he went into the "explain Doughboys to my co-guest who I'm kinda treating like an outsider but it seems from his resume that he does not need to be explicitly lampshaded as someone who does not know how to do a comedy performance" bit.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

PantsOptional posted:

It’s not just you. I saw him once and didn’t approach because he was giving off severe “oh god everyone please just leave me alone” vibes. Granted, it was a rough situation - he was buying guinea pig habitat stuff at a pet supply store the day after Christmas just as a blizzard was starting to roll in, which tells me he likely didn’t know about the guinea pig(s) ahead of time and was rushing to get these things before getting snowed in.

Good to know i wasn’t being neurotic. I also saw Michael Shannon carrying a big pole (???) around that same time and looked nicer in comparison

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh hell yeah, a Fran episode! With an insane story about Wiger giving Fran's boyfriend a framed painting (possibly a tryptic?) of Jon loving Garfield, which is hung up on their wall. :popeye:

I haven't heard the Hodgman one, but I really like that dude. Medallion Status out in paperback now.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

bugmane and Hodgman are two sides of the same coin and I don’t like either of em. zero forks I say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

WEH posted:

bugmane and Hodgman are two sides of the same coin and I don’t like either of em. zero forks I say

:same: