Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just checked into this with the first episode.

"I hear Jared Fogle is kinda a jerk"

Haha oh man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Should I eat taco bell????

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mike's slow shift into nihilism in the beginning of this episode was pretty great. Also, Fudruckers is pretty good when you want a bit better quality quick and cheap burger.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Burger Boy is right on pho and right for America.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hate boneless wings but I enjoy a good breadstick, I'm a man without a country.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

The last time I went I definitely asked my self "what did I just spend 9 dollars on." I don't think the burgers are as big as they were making them out to be either. At that price range I'd rather go to a bar and get a good greasy bar burger. That has the added bonus of being about to be drunk while I eat it. Also their fries are bad.

Agreed, they're on the lower side of what they're trying to do, and that'd be fine if the lower side didn't also include 'there's a bar near me that makes burgers and can make a gin and tonic that's really tasty so why would I go here where instead of a gin and tonic I get peanuts?'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Cuuuuck E Cheese: Where A Kid Can Cuuuuck His Dad

Thanks, Lowtax.

The abject horror that came after 'the kids can get in on it too' was pretty great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Wendy's with Paul Rust is pretty solid. The Subway one is great too because they did it right after Jared got popped for being a pedophile

Was it that one or an earlier one where Mike kept saying there was something about Jared that made him positive he was some kinda rear end in a top hat or creep or something?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JethroMcB posted:

A food podcast that doesn't release some kind of special ep - at worst, a best-of ep - on the most food-centric holiday...a shameful podcast.

Though, honestly, I'm just worried that taking one week off will give Spoonman the motivation he needs to say "gently caress this show" and end it.

yea I'm worried not out of entitlement but out of a fear that if either of them gets too long away from this podcast he'll realize 'wait...I'm doing WHAT' and bail.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

little munchkin posted:

the episode was really good

I like how in both taco bell episodes they begin by saying how much they love taco bell, then spend 45 minutes talking about how disgusting it is, then end the show by giving it really high fork ratings

to be fair loving taco bell because it's a dumpster full of tacos you can just dive into is pretty common

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we gotta get out of here, Walter's here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GoutPatrol posted:

I died at the end with the Quincy video.

that, and the follow-up, was easily the best bit the podcast has ever had

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Work Friend Keven posted:

Comedy reviews are so weird because like there will be one comedy a year critics will all agree to like and every single other comedy will be critics 37% fresh crowds 79%. And if you read the reviews they're always mad the comedy movie is making jokes.

Yea I'm not really gonna pretend Fist Fight is high on my to watch list because woof it looks like a 30 minute It's Always Sunny pitch stretched into a movie, but I can't disagree on this take. It kinda does feel like there's only allowed to be one or two 'good' comedy movies (shock, almost always involving the biggest a-list cast) and yea then the rest are kinda reduced to "AND THEY WERE MAKING JOKES? THIS IS JUST SO SILLY!!!!"

Again, not really sure if Fist Fight is gonna be the hill to die on for this but it is an annoying trend

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

Drinks can go down the sink for gods sake. They don't have to go in your butts you weird men.

I mean, they don't HAVE to, but they CAN

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea in a duo with a literal sex criminal she's a solid first place and hey that's worth something

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

xbilkis posted:

Guests who are perplexed or upset by the Doughboys Philosophy make for great guests, especially because of how atypically unwavering the hosts are in the face of criticism

"I like food" — Nick Wiger

yea the fact that their default response to a guest clearly not understanding the show or thinking this is terrible is to just sandbag them is what makes those episodes great. Just some comic confused at the fact that they ate chain food to 'review' it with two idiots as neither idiot budges on the core concept.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/933406204570693632

If they say anything bad about any of these I'll be pissed!

They can talk poo poo about Torchy's, it's not terrible or anything but it's mad overrated.

If they say Shipley is bad they're loving monsters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol if you go to Shipley and get mainly donuts and not kolaches

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

its called shipley's do-nuts, not shipley's lovely sausage pockets

yea the lovely sausage pocket is a name your mom earned they'd never take that from her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

if you're this mad about regional texas breakfast slander, wait till i reveal that breakfast tacos are bullshit in a world where breakfast burritos exist

no you're right on that

I in fact dare say burritos, in general, are superior to tacos unless you're going for a small plates kinda thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Someone needs to at least ask for a fork rating

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Popete posted:

People from Austin seem really hostile to anyone not born there.

Austin is a dumpster, they want so badly to be NYC and they're so genuinely angry that Houston is becoming more and more overtly democrat and stealing their 'we're the one point of light in a cruel cruel red state' shine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ManoliIsFat posted:

There's a huge influx of tech dorks taking away their "keep austin weird" spirit

this is true but it's also hilarious because Austin was already full of tech dorks so basically they're just a lot of dumb dorks mad that silicon valley memes are different than austin ones.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Work Friend Keven posted:

Hell I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that just like portland, austin is locked in a death battle between 3rd gen gentrifiers and 1st gen gentrifiers who are being priced out & are mad because they priced other people out first and now have a right to the city.

nah unlike Portland Austin has a good amount of actual latino/black locals who the 3rd gen gentrifiers already pushed into shitholes during segregation and now the 3rd gen think they're the 'real' locals and these darn 1st gen kids are the monsters ignoring the fact that they started the entire problem while now pretending to care about it. So there's still actual active conflict and 'take back the neighborhood' movements that make the 3rd gens feel smug while not realizing they're who the locals are talking about too. So, it's a way funnier racism at least.

So it's more like the major cities in Hawaii really, with a bunch of lame white people calling other white people 'fakers' who are ruining the area while they still lock their doors when they go through east Austin. Give Austin another generation or so and they'll hit Portland levels of 'the family who used to run this place was Mexican I think, that's why it's so authentic even though they had to move and sell it to Bryce to do so.'

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 15, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Squishy posted:

I wonder if they're going to leave Feral. A but before they left the Rick and Morty studio Nick saw something on twitter where the not-Harmon creator said "gently caress unions".

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/944666013139853312

sounds like they're at least seriously considering

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Srice posted:

They don't, but all Maxfun shows still retain full ownership by the creators so if they were moving there they wouldn't have to shut down the patreon.

yea Maxfun is extremely good about giving creators freedom as long as they're down with very basic things like 'help with the pledge drive', it'd be the first but it wouldn't be nuts if they were able to join and keep their patreon going.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

xbilkis posted:

Star Wars is undeniably incredibly stupid, and making a compelling argument for disliking any of it is really easy

But instead Mitch will earnestly defend the dumbest, worst Star Wars movies while expressing incredulity that anyone could enjoy the newer, more broadly popular movies for reasons such as "there are no books in Star Wars"

yea I'm a huge SW nerd but there's tons of very fair things to go 'this is stupid' about. Mitch instead seems genuinely upset at the concept of 'people like that this exists' with no actual reason other than 'it's not the movies I like'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Did Mitch edit that female-less version of The Last Jedi?

Also, I’m legit concerned... does Mitch not know there is a third movie upcoming in the trilogy? Half of his complaints are unanswered questions that will clearly be answered in that one.

nah Mitch is dumb and a huge baby but at least his baby dumbness has been "WAAAAH PEOPLE LIKE A MOVIE" and not "WOMEN IN STAR WARS AGH!!!!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the draft is good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

89% of Mitch’s complaints are just poo poo a normal person would suspend your disbelief for because you’re watching a movie for children. “Poe and Finn landing in separate parts of Jakuu” should not be something that sticks in your head and makes you mad 3 years after seeing it.

it really is amazing how much of his hate is based on just not wanting to acknowledge this is a fictional story that requires suspension of disbelief for story elements to work. Especially since he seems to love the prequels which focus around random things just happening because 'destiny' required it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he needs to be buzzing around somewhere, yea

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea UCB has been having a slowly intensifying issue where they basically do the 'you get paid...in EXPERIENCE' thing and due to how cliquey and insular comedy communities are they're one of the major players, so it's kinda a bad look for one of the top dogs to be all 'no no if we paid people we couldn't stay alive and then where would people go?'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JethroMcB posted:

Which would be better, Doughboys TV being:

a) A show where they find out-of-the-way yet unpretentious places to eat ("It's just Diners Drive-Ins & Dives but with us, the Doughboys!")
b) A show where they basically do the podcast but outside the confines of LA ("We're travelling across the country to sample Amerca's favorite regional and hyper-local chains!")
c) A show where they make a big deal about travelling and then only eat at massive chains that exist everywhere ("What better place than the 'Big Apple' to check out Applebee's!")

it SHOULD be C in a just and moral world but it'll never get approval

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ManoliIsFat posted:

If I remember from that little clip they played before, I bet it'd be more like Jonah Ray's show, where it's fictional and going places to eat is just a setting for the comedy.

Jonah's show was good so that'd be cool

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unmature posted:

Is eight months with presumably very little to no pay working on a passion project that could totally fail not a long time to you?

That's called work for most Americans minus passion and minus the payoff where you get to be the boss after less than a year of that and plus making another guy rich off your work, yes. Dude seemed alright but yea that's typical small business man "I paid my dues so I know what work is" bullshit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Squishy posted:

Wiger is attempting to kill Mitch, and the Doughboys is his weapon.

"We're friends, we're friends" I insist as I kick my partner down the big set of stairs labeled 'heart attack'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Popete posted:

I've never used Post Mates but I've used Uber Eats which operates similarly and it's always a crap shoot. Either you get the wrong order or it takes 1.5 hours and it's cold. If the driver messes up the restaurant is under no obligation to fix it and you have to get a refund through the delivery service and either order again or get something else.

lol that system rules so hard.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FitFortDanga posted:

Mike Mitchell might be the most insecure man in the world. And the least articulate. I'd love to read a transcript of any given Doughboys episode just to count the number of times Mitchy stumbles over his words or restarts a sentence.

(and yet, I absolutely love this podcast and am delighted to listen every time)

It'd be like those Trump interview transcripts where every other line involves the editor note [garbled].

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Matt Lindland posted:

Going to McDonalds do you guys think I should get the hamburger or the special hamburger

get the fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Popete posted:

I feel like I'm being gaslit by all these people on Doughboys who love Dunkin Donuts. Nick saying it's his favourite fast food breakfast has to be Stockholm Syndrome from hanging around Mitch.

DD food is terrible, it feels on par with something you'd get from 7/11.

as someone who will go to town on 7/11 food like a proper fat sack of poo poo DD is much worse. It's all so salty and...wet...EVERYTHING IS WET.