Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Whoa, apparently I have no idea what I'm talking about. That's definitely more like Siivola's casserole. Where I'm from, chop suey always meant diced celery and bean sprouts and carrot and pepper in a really mild soy sauce with corn starch, that's something else entirely.

What region are you from?

e: thread-relevant content http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_l/L08000.pdf

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I'm hungry now. Someone make some Swedish meatballs, lasagna, egg noodles, and hot dish, we're going all Lutheran Buffet Table here. Don't touch that cheesecake and Oreo pie until LATER.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If Minnesota had an army, the rations would be all the crisp breads and dehydrated hotdish.

holttho
May 21, 2007

"Gee, I dunno how you boys are gonna take this 7-layer dip into battle with ya. Me an' Barb an' Ole Sorensen made too much the other day and we just can't eat all of it, you take some! Share with the boys! Ok, bye bye now!

See ya later!

Take care now!

Have a good one!

Take er easy!

Buhbye!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I've always wanted to try an MRE and this thread pushed me over the edge, I bought a chicken, tomato and feta meal. It also came with a side of stuffing that looked crazy but was pretty good. The main course, so to speak, was actually pretty good. Definitely would buy another sometime in the future.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hogmartin posted:

Whoa, apparently I have no idea what I'm talking about. That's definitely more like Siivola's casserole. Where I'm from, chop suey always meant diced celery and bean sprouts and carrot and pepper in a really mild soy sauce with corn starch, that's something else entirely.

That's generic Chinese restaurant chop suey, yeah. This has nothing to do with Chinese food and I had never heard the term American chop suey for it before that Seriouseats post.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

I've always wanted to try an MRE and this thread pushed me over the edge, I bought a chicken, tomato and feta meal. It also came with a side of stuffing that looked crazy but was pretty good. The main course, so to speak, was actually pretty good. Definitely would buy another sometime in the future.

I'd say the best times to eat MREs for real (as opposed to educational or reviewing purposes) are when you're doing activity that needs a big meal, has little time or area to prepare, and doesn't give you enough free time away from home to just cook in the first place. Like for long-term camping, you can afford to cook proper meals on cookware you brought with you. But for airsoft and paintball, hiking, hunting, or even just staying late at the office, it's a pretty good choice.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd say the best times to eat MREs for real (as opposed to educational or reviewing purposes) are when you're doing activity that needs a big meal, has little time or area to prepare, and doesn't give you enough free time away from home to just cook in the first place. Like for long-term camping, you can afford to cook proper meals on cookware you brought with you. But for airsoft and paintball, hiking, hunting, or even just staying late at the office, it's a pretty good choice.

I knew about the more outdoorsy application but I assumed they would be pretty good for really long days at work and wanting to not spend much as well.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm hungry now. Someone make some Swedish meatballs, lasagna, egg noodles, and hot dish, we're going all Lutheran Buffet Table here. Don't touch that cheesecake and Oreo pie until LATER.

What about the Lil Smokies in barbecue sauce? I want the WHOLE experience.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

I knew about the more outdoorsy application but I assumed they would be pretty good for really long days at work and wanting to not spend much as well.

I've taken a few to the office. I usually work afternoons and nights, so I'm at the office with anywhere from 1 to 3 other people until 10:00 PM after closing. It's handy to have 1200+ calories that include a hot meal (requiring nothing but water from the sink) and bags of snacks when you can't go out to get dinner.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

holttho posted:

"Gee, I dunno how you boys are gonna take this 7-layer dip into battle with ya. Me an' Barb an' Ole Sorensen made too much the other day and we just can't eat all of it, you take some! Share with the boys! Ok, bye bye now!

See ya later!

Take care now!

Have a good one!

Take er easy!

Buhbye!

Needs about an hour at the door talking. You hold the door open and you use your foot behind you to keep the dog/cat inside as the guest inches towards their car. Keep talking until the person feels rude to just close their car door.

Ok.
Ok.
Uh huh.
Uh huh.
Ok, bye.
Ok, bye.
Bye.
Bye.
See ya.
Oh, did you hear about (etc)?
GOTO 10

Remember to keep the door open and keep using your off foot to block the dog/cat from running out. This process is a bare minimum 60 minutes.

Also, my Grandma made the best Chop Suey there ever was. It was absurdly salty. Not sure what this has to do with Military food but my Grandpa served in the Army Air Corps in WWII and he liked it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Grand Fromage posted:

That's generic Chinese restaurant chop suey, yeah. This has nothing to do with Chinese food and I had never heard the term American chop suey for it before that Seriouseats post.

American Chop Suey was like a school lunch standard in southern Maine in the late 90s-early 00s, at least. Macaroni elbows, tomato sauce, oregano flakes I think, and archaeological evidence of ground beef.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

deadly_pudding posted:

American Chop Suey was like a school lunch standard in southern Maine in the late 90s-early 00s, at least. Macaroni elbows, tomato sauce, oregano flakes I think, and archaeological evidence of ground beef.

Growing up in Washington state that was usually referred to as goulash. Guess it's a casserole/hot dish kinda thing as far as naming piles of glop go.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
My southern grandma made it and called it goulash too. It was pretty easy, tasty stuff for little kids.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I still make it from time to time for work lunches. It's easy, cheap, and filling. Though, if it is the Minnesota style, don't forget a big hunk of Velveeta! :suicide:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For anyone wondering, I'm likely going to delay eating my American MREs until April 8-10. I've got a two-day airsoft game that weekend and I'm going to be bringing some MREs to supplement the on-site food.

Danish ration is good, if a little sparse; it's best compared to the American FSR. I'm going to try something radical and use the flameless ration heater to heat the sweet & sour soy pocket sandwich I have left and see how it tastes warm.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Awesome thread. My dad had a ton of MRE's when I was a kid, mostly I remember the BBQ pork and rice being inedible on a camping trip and the dog happily eating the rest of it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My southern grandma made it and called it goulash too. It was pretty easy, tasty stuff for little kids.

My dad always insisted on putting peas in it so I never got a taste for the stuff.

I will gently caress up a tater tot casserole with broccoli in it, though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In basic at Ft. Benning i used to trade my Skittles and M&Ms for $20 a bag. I remember liking the beef stews and disliking the chicken and pork packages. Actual meals I really loved, with the forced downing of gatorade, milk and water. Chilimac can get hosed, though

There was a terrible Chinese restaurant that I got to eat at once near graduation and it had to be the best day of the whole ordeal

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Aliquid posted:

In basic at Ft. Benning i used to trade my Skittles and M&Ms for $20 a bag

Dude, this isn't the idiots thread.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Aliquid posted:

In basic at Ft. Benning i used to trade my Skittles and M&Ms for $20 a bag. I remember liking the beef stews and disliking the chicken and pork packages. Actual meals I really loved, with the forced downing of gatorade, milk and water. Chilimac can get hosed, though

There was a terrible Chinese restaurant that I got to eat at once near graduation and it had to be the best day of the whole ordeal

Yeah... uh, does AIT also pay those rates? I could finally buy a used car tomorrow with what we threw out today at the DFAC. :smith:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

hogmartin posted:

Pork adobo was another good one (http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_l/l09900.pdf) though one of our chiefs had an irrational hatred of it. I'm more curious about mess hall recipes than packaged rations now, how and when did a Filipino pork dish get institutionalized into the US armed forces dining repertoire? Or half-assed spaghetti yakisoba? There was a US military presence in the Philippines and there still is one in Japan, so it's not totally out of nowhere that those foods might end up being adopted, but at some point someone had to say "yep, we're gonna add pork adobo to the recipe list" and put together a card for making it. SOS makes sense; it's a classic diner breakfast, but Filipino cuisine isn't really familiar to most Americans.

This is from a ways back but essentially Adobo is due to US Navy recruitment policies. After we stole Spain's colonies the Navy started allowing Filipinos to join as stewards and eventually get citizenship as part of a basing agreement. After WWII this was increased to several thousand people a year, but it wasn't until the 60s-70s that Filipinos were allowed to take on other ratings.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1004657749302655960

quote:

Nick Palanca, 69, a Filipino who joined the Navy as a cook in 1957 and served for 30 years: "It was potato in the morning, potato for lunch and potato in the evening." To liven up this drab diet, Filipino cooks would make themselves adobo out of leftover chicken necks, wings and giblets.

"Officers started complaining, asking how come our food smells so good. We said, 'It's adobo,' " says Mr. Palanca. "They said, 'We don't want hot dogs, we want your adobo.' And that's when we started serving Asian food to some officers."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Danish 24-Hour Ration

This is my first ever submission! -Anders sent me this ration and I spent a few weeks taking bits and pieces out over time before finally consuming the entire thing. I also had my girlfriend Audrina present several times while I was eating it and gave her a few bites of the food for second opinions.

This ration seems to be heavily based on the British 24-hour ration and actually shares components with it. Most prominent is the heavy use of Orifo products. Orifo is a Danish food company that has quite a few military contracts, and along with producing domestic military food they send the same or nearly the same products to the British Ministry of Defense. Some cursory research found that at least some items in it (like the toffee bar) are simply commercial Orifo products repackaged in drab military packaging.

Like the British ration, the food is simply thrown loose into a cardboard box with no order whatsoever. I was a bit perplexed upon inventorying it, though: there's a ton of snacks, but no retort pouched ready-to-cook items. In fact, there was only a single decently portioned entree! The rest of the day's calories were provided a pair of identical shelf-stable pocket sandwiches and snacks. This is definitely a criticism I have, as the ration is able to sustain you but you'll have a more difficult time getting a fast, easy hot meal than simply putting a pouch in a flameless ration heater. That said, they did include a heater and I found a more unorthodox item to cook with it.

The one true "entree" in the ration was a bag of dehydrated cheesy potatoes. As with the rare American dehydrated rations, simply pour in hot water, stir, and wait until the food is ready to go. Honestly, I found this pretty drat great for military food and I gladly ate the entire pouch. You'll also notice that the caloric content of this pouch is nearly twice that of an American entree!

The other two "entrees" were Bridgford shelf-stable pocket sandwiches. These sandwiches are familiar to American soldiers, who receive them in First Strike Rations. Unfortunately, the American sandwich selection is pretty pitiful and essentially the MRE wheat snack bread with a Slim Jim stuffed inside that ends up being more bread than sandwich. Thankfully, the Danes got a better selection and this was sweet & sour soy meat substitute. I ate the first one cold and found it passable, possibly bumping up to "good". I had trouble placing the taste, but it got easier after I got creative.

While researching the sandwiches, I discovered that Bridgford had a broken link to heating instructions on their website. Curious, I pulled out the seemingly useless flameless ration heater included and threw it in with some water. As you can see, the ration heater is a commercial one made by Beyond the Beaten Track, a British outdoors company that also makes food and heaters for the British military.

It took the heater a few seconds, but it was violent. I was in the process of folding the top over when the hissing sound suddenly ballooned into a whoosh and a huge plume of steam rushed out over my hands. How you see it in the picture is how I dropped it in the sink. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a picture of the initial cloud because Audi cut her thumb on her razor when trying to grab her shower bag and I had to find a band-aid for her.

I gave her a few bites of the hot sandwich to get her opinion. She was finally able to pin down the taste: "school lunch sloppy joe." She confirmed that she would willingly finish the sandwich if it's what she had to eat, but expressed no actual preference for its flavor.

The chocolate bar was actually the first part of the ration that got eaten, as Audrina was present when I opened it for the first time and immediately saw the chocolate; splitting the bar was the only way I was able to save it for the review! It was an excellent dark chocolate bar.

This stiff bag of peanuts is a Thai brand, Nut Walkers. Despite the more exotic packaging, I discovered that roasted and salted peanuts taste exactly the same no matter which country they come from.

You may notice two odd things about the Raw Bites apple-cinammon bar (of which there were two in the box): the bar is about half the size of the packaging, and the drat things expired in January! Other items in the ration don't expire for years. I'm seriously questioning the common sense of packaging something with an expiration date as long as 3 years before the most well-preserved items, unless the Danish expect some serious turnaround with these rations to keep them fresh. Thankfully, the taste didn't seem that off. My girlfriend wasn't a big fan of them, though; she didn't like the combination of very soft, chewy bar with crunchy bits.

The biscuits were virtually identical in taste and density to the infamous "biscuits brown" of England, which I covered in my very first review on the British 24-hour ration.

I'm normally not big on cranberries, but due to a combination of hunger and just really surprisingly tasty berries I ate the whole drat packet in one go.

This was pretty much identical to the "baby food" fruit jam pouch in the British ration. Amusingly, despite being labeled as strawberry/banana flavor it's 60% apple! It tasted almost entirely of applesauce with a strawberry flavoring and essentially no banana to speak of.

Not gonna lie, the toffee bar may have been the most delicious part of the ration. It smelled so strongly of toffee that I thought I had accidentally opened a miniature candy factory when I peeled open the wrapper, and the taste was just as pleasant. Some research found another guy who reviewed a Danish ration and some people confirmed that the toffee bar was very close in taste and texture to the toffee discs of the old American MCI canned ration from Vietnam into the 1980s.

Do you ever start to wonder when your diet is looking monotonous?

Raisins are raisins are sultanas.

I was curious about the "spicy sauce", as only the ingredient list indicated exactly what was meant to be. Two sachets were included, so I poured one onto a plate to see just how much was available and what it tasted like. Don't be fooled, that's a tiny little snack plate with a lower diameter than my stretched hand. The ingredients list is accurate, it's what we would call hot sauce. I actually really liked it and kept the second sachet to use later, but I was unable to place exactly what chili pepper was used for it. Either way, it wasn't very spicy (maybe only a few hundred on the Scoville scale at most) and really focused on the flavor of the pepper(s) used.

The two powdered drinks came as identical white powder, turning their requisite colors and flavors upon being added to water. Both tasted very nice and I'd definitely drink that peach one again. That said, the ingredients list is hilarious: the lemon drink has carrot extract, and the peach has beetroot and paprika! For the record, no. You can't taste it.

The hot cocoa mixed with a white film on top that only went away after drinking it. It tasted virtually identical to stuff like Cadbury milk chocolate.

The final item on the list is the accessory pack. Like many parts of the ration, it's practically cloned from the British one and comes in a massively oversized ziplock bag (presumably for reuse for other items).

Exact same tea as the British get.

There were actually three packets of freeze-dried coffee. Despite being labeled as Colombian, I'm drinking it as I type this and it tastes exactly like American and Russian MRE coffee. It seems difficult to make instant coffee taste different from other instant coffee; the only one that was noticeably different was the Lithuanian, with its crappy burnt taste.

Two big packets of sugar. I'd say one is suitable for a single coffee.

Plenty of salt and pepper. Once again, take notice of how many items have multilingual packaging.

A trio of wet wipes.

Same chewing gum as the British ration, too!

In a major improvement over the Brits, the Danish included three spoons instead of just one! They're really heavy duty plastic that would easily be reusable, too.

Three toothpicks.

A disposable toothbrush might be my favorite sundry item ever included in a ration.

-------------------

And there you have it! One more international ration down....and it turned out to be rehashing a lot of stuff we've already seen.

Not to worry, I have something more esoteric on the way! A few days ago I received a modern Polish 24-hour ration, which gives me another three big meals to try out. I also recently purchased a ration from Kazakhstan and will likely be receiving it in about a month or so. I've got a handle on Spanish and French rations, but they're pretty expensive and I should wait before I drop $100 on something just for an Internet review. In the meantime between the two Eastern European ones, I've still got a commercial MREStar ration to show off as a comparison to the military MREs, as well as two new MRE menus that I'll hopefully be eating in 2 weeks at an event in Naples!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That looks a lot better than what I use the eat when I was a pretend soldier in Denmark. The 24-hour ration consisted of two boxes like that back then, and it was impossible to arrange in your backpack. It came with a huge 0,5kg entree in a can and a smaller side dish such as instant noodles or rice. Better eat your 5 hamburger patties, because there is no way to save them for later.
One time, some idiot had decided that what we really needed in the field was lots and lots of prunes. It wasn't pretty.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 27, 2016

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Your apple cinnamon snack didn't expire as the date is given in the typical for the EU form of DD.MM.YYYY (it even reminds you on the packaging). It's still a far shorter expiry date than the other items, though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Thanks for the review!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Electric Hobo posted:

That looks a lot better than what I use the eat when I was a pretend soldier in Denmark. The 24-hour ration consisted of two boxes like that back then, and it was impossible to arrange in your backpack. It came with a huge 1 0,5kg entree in a can and a smaller side dish such as instant noodles or rice. Better eat your 5 hamburger patties, because there is no way to save them for later.
One time, some idiot had decided that what we really needed in the field was lots and lots of prunes. It wasn't pretty.

I saw someone on I think MRE Info pull out one of those older rations, and there was a huge can of ravioli taking up most of it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Is the date on the bar more of a Best Before than straight up expiry? At least in Canada, the date on the items is when the taste starts to diminish, not when it becomes inedible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is the date on the bar more of a Best Before than straight up expiry? At least in Canada, the date on the items is when the taste starts to diminish, not when it becomes inedible.

I think just about everywhere the "best by" date is a rough guideline. Manufacturers even overestimate their dates sometimes just to be on the safe side, since storage conditions affect how long food lasts and nobody wants to be the guy whose company had a date of March 15th packaged on the food and poor storage conditions caused it to go bad by March 11th.

MREs and similar rations are even more durable, as I've eaten MRE components that have been as old as 5 years (and other reviewers have eaten even older stuff, like 10+ years) and they've been perfectly safe to eat even if they didn't look pretty.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The two powdered drinks came as identical white powder, turning their requisite colors and flavors upon being added to water. Both tasted very nice and I'd definitely drink that peach one again. That said, the ingredients list is hilarious: the lemon drink has carrot extract, and the peach has beetroot and paprika! For the record, no. You can't taste it.

You can't taste it because it's just tiny bits of extract used as food coloring.

chitoryu12 posted:

There were actually three packets of freeze-dried coffee. Despite being labeled as Colombian, I'm drinking it as I type this and it tastes exactly like American and Russian MRE coffee. It seems difficult to make instant coffee taste different from other instant coffee; the only one that was noticeably different was the Lithuanian, with its crappy burnt taste.

Yep! No disguising that taste. Even the expensive Starbucks instant coffee you can buy still tastes like... instant coffee.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Did not expect to see these guys in this thread. They're all over the organic food stores around here, and they're actually quite expensive, although part of that is probably the usual "organic" markup. The Spicy Lime flavour is pretty good.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
That "sukker" package needs to be an avatar.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hey, if anyone wants to do a review, I have an complete NZDF ratpack that was issued in March and has been sitting in my Pack since then. Seems like NZPost will be OK shipping it as it will last more than 6 months and I'd be happy to send to NA or Europe for just the cost of shipping (Probably around $40, or $20 to Aussie). Main meal is beef stew, IIRC.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That sounds like a real interesting one! I'm going to try and put out my MREStar review ASAP before leaving on a trip for Atlanta. The only part I haven't consumed and photographed is a powdered pink lemonade beverage. After that, I have an unopened Polish ration and a Kazakh ration that seems to be lost in the mail.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, so here's the ratpack, as issued except a little squished, the crackers and noodles might have been a bit crushed:

I understand that theyvery, very similar to the Aussie ones.

It's pack A, note that my little form here is from an old one but it shouldn't have changed at all. The MRE will have an up-to-date form like this inside.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 13, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jaguars! posted:

Hey, if anyone wants to do a review, I have an complete NZDF ratpack that was issued in March and has been sitting in my Pack since then. Seems like NZPost will be OK shipping it as it will last more than 6 months and I'd be happy to send to NA or Europe for just the cost of shipping (Probably around $40, or $20 to Aussie). Main meal is beef stew, IIRC.

heck, I'd do it, if you want. I'm in Christchurch.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, well I'll give the right of first refusal to Chitoryu since he's the OP and can do a compare and contrast, but otherwise shipping to Christchurch should be quick and easy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm totally okay with Cumslut1895 getting it since they're much closer to you (and that's not even the strangest thing I've said today). I'll accept any extras you may get your hands on though!

MREStar review is going up shortly. Long story short: don't buy one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MREStar

So remember how military MREs have something like "Unlawful for resale" printed on them? Yeah, that's not actually true. Despite the packaging threatening legal action against anyone who sells military rations to the civilian market, there's no actual law on the books against it and there's doubtful to be one any time soon. This is why you can freely buy MREs off eBay and Amazon, even whole pallets still in their cardboard boxes that someone somehow acquired.

Despite this, there's substantial production of "civilian" MREs. These are essentially MRE-alikes, often made by the same companies that make actual MRE components like Sopakco, redesigned for a civilian buyer. They often have fancier graphics that more closely resemble commercial ones, transparent bags that show the contents inside, and have fewer components (often missing the flameless ration heater). They're very easy to find at military museums, as the government does have to keep up pretenses of not allowing sale of military rations to civilians but still wants to make bank off the people interested in trying them. One example is the Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum. This is a floating museum set on the retired USS Intrepid, an aircraft carrier with a long and adventurous history dating back to World War II. The Intrepid weathered kamikaze attacks, supported the island-hopping campaign, recovered a Gemini capsule that landed in the sea, and served as a floating airfield off the coast of Vietnam. After its retirement, the ship was docked in Manhattan and now serves as a very cool military museum.

This is an MREStar meal, available for purchase from https://www.mre-meals.net/. This was purchased for $13, three dollars more than I normally acquire military MREs for.

Immediately upon picking it up, someone familiar with real MREs will notice a distinct difference in weight and size.

This is an actual military MRE. See how much thicker and blockier it is? You immediately know that you're not gonna be getting a lot in this package.

The whole thing seems rather sad compared to a military MRE. The accessory packet is nothing but a spoon, little napkin, and some salt.

The crackers are completely identical to MRE crackers except for the packaging. Note that virtually all of the individual items have their packaging in multiple languages.

The fruit mix was awful. Completely, irredeemably awful. Notice how the banana chips had added banana flavor? They didn't taste like a banana, even a little. They tasted almost like rice crackers with some generic fruity sweetness. This made them the best part of the whole thing, ironically, as the papaya and pineapple "dice" alternated between cloyingly sweet and flavorless. I couldn't eat more than a few of each. They tasted like an alien tried to recreate dried bananas, papaya, and pineapple based on vague memories of his last abduction.

The sugar cookies were another swing and a miss. You'd expect them to be sweet treats, but they had an unusual sourness/tartness. The best way to describe it is a cream cheese cookie.

I have to give MREStar credit on this one: the stew is legitimately good. Like, I'd be okay buying a can or two of this stuff at the grocery store or having it added to the regular repertoire of military MRE meals. It doesn't come with a ration heater so you invariably have to heat this in a microwave or in a very tiny pot of boiling water, but it really does have a nice ham and lentil flavor.

On the other hand, the pink lemonade was incredibly disgusting. My girlfriend was leaving to go to the bank and I handed her the cup to try some. She first tried to just sip a little through a Kool-Aid pouch straw and tasted nothing but water. After trying a bigger swig, she described it as "Toilet water with lemon." The whole thing went in the garbage right after that. It was horrible.

The moral of the story: don't buy civilian MREs, at least not from MREStar. The quality is far below what you'll find in a real military ration, and what you do get isn't guaranteed to be a whole lot. It's not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I guess that Civilian MREs aren't hampered by standards like calorific content or having to pass an acceptance review before being produced. Which is funny because I always thought that soldiers are a little less than human as far as laws that protect the general population go.

M. Cum slut, since you don't have plat, send a name and address to dualstrobe(at)gmail.com and I'll send the pack sometime this week. Don't even worry about cost for NZ shipping, it's just a good way to get rid of it because otherwise it'd just go into my box full of random years old MRE components anyway.

• Locked thread