Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This thread is awesome, can't wait to see the Russian and Ukrainian meals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, problems that there's nothing else to drink. Drinking everything that's even slightly alcoholic has been a thing with enlisted men since probably forever.

There's a similar story about the Soviet airforce circa the MiG-25 Foxbat. It used ethyl alcohol as coolant, and they didn't denature it. I originally read about it in the Cold War thread in TFR, but apparently at the northern air bases in the USSR, aircraft were routinely unable to fly because so much coolant had gone missing.

I normally wouldn't link to the Christian Science Monitor but it's the first thing I could find.

http://www.csmonitor.com/1981/1203/120368.html

quote:

When Vikto Belenko reached the West, he related how officers and men often drank the alcohol used for the coolant and braking systems in aircraft. In fact, he told John Barron that the MIG-25 base he was assigned to north of Vladivostok was often immobilized, so rampant was the consumption of aircraft alcohol there. Observing that the MIG-25 needs half a ton of alcohol, Barron notes that in the Soviet Air Force it is popularly known as the "flying restaurant."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

HEY GAL posted:

The christian science monitor is, and has consistently been, one of the best papers in the US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Christian_Science_Monitor#Notable_reporting

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, name aside they're a great paper.

I always wrote them off because of the name, happy to know that I was wrong for doing so! Thanks!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

McSpergin posted:

Disregard me, I worked out a way to translate. I managed to get one with loving caviar in it!

Shelf stable caviar is not something I want to imagine.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

McSpergin posted:

I was actually considering saving the food for my next camping trip but I think ill just buy a few camping store MRE's closer to the day. I may work my way through my menu b this week but i also now have 55kg of pork to get through

Why do you have 55kg of pork?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

hyperhazard posted:

Camel is loving amazing and I wish you could find it in the US.

The one time I ate camel it was incredibly greasy and not good. Kangaroo, on the other hand, is fantastic.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Nebakenezzer posted:

There was a greenland shark on River Monsters the other day, I ended up reading a bit about them, Sexual maturity comes at ~120 years, sort of a Ur-goon in fish form

What I want to know is how Hákarl got started in the first place. Were the Norse really that bored they had to find a way to eat an inedible fish? Was this some sort of dare food for dark winter drinking sessions?

I mean blood pudding makes sense if you have literally no other seasonings

Oysters are like this for me. "Hey, maybe there's meat inside this rock from the ocean." How does that even happen, the first guy to crank one of those open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

chitoryu12 posted:

Hey Ian, how's that liver, onions, and kale for lunch?

I see.

liver is delicious, onions are delicious, I'm really not sure how kale would fit into that mix though.

• Locked thread