Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Keldoclock posted:

Cross-posting from the military history thread where I was on the tail-end of the discussion that led to this:

The MCW/LRP is basically as good as it's going to get for military rations, and I wouldn't expect anything better from the militaries of the future, but as an individual, on short operations I'd rather have fresh food and on long operations I'd rather just have an assortment of ingredients(ready-to-eat or otherwise, with shelf lives based on how long the operation will be) I can mix and match to my tastes- The main problem with the MREs as they are is that soldiers don't eat the whole ration, and freely trade or throw away the parts they don't want ;) And that's of course, assuming it is impossible to just buy stuff from the locals or roast up the wildlife :chef:

@Plumpynut
5.5Calories/gram! Not bad. Olive oil is my energy source of choice, coming in at 9 Calories/gram. Weight is at a premium and I want to get my 3000-5000 Calories/day in.

Just eat halva if you want the benefits of Plumpynut. Glorious, glorious halva.

:parrot:

Yes, and I'd rather sleep in, get a sausage egg n cheese and then scope out a farmer's market for some good fresh produce that I cook in my apartment with a nice cabernet sauvignon.

I think this might not apply to active war-zones and you're missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Any plans to do non-European/non-North American rations?

I mean these are all cool as hell, and I guarantee everyone wants to see the French one, but I can't be the only one wondering about what the PRC troops or the Pakistani soldiers are eating too, right?

And, for the record, I figure it's all but impossible to get but... North Korea? Eh? :kimchi:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If you wanted actual translations of the Chinese that's a thing I could do.

(But I'd need new pictures for some of them since the google translate covers up the Chinese in some of them. Google translate really sucks at Chinese.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Unrelated to this thread, but would you mind translating what's on this label? I'm looking for a year in particular.

No year I'm afraid, sorry.

And it's pretty boring. The top part is (what I'm assuming is) the company/product name : Yunnan Qizi Tea Cake. (Yunnan is a region is southwestern China ; "Qizi" is literally "seven child" but since that's gibberish I'm assuming it's the company name.)

The bottom is basically identical to the English next to it.

Sorry I'm not more helpful. What are you trying to get out of this?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm imagining the rather surreal task of some rando who is told to just toss MRE's out of a moving plane. First he's confused. Then maybe he kind of gets into it, he's feeding the starving! He's making a difference as he tosses them as hard as he can!

...eventually though it settles into a kind of wistful ambivalence. It's hour 4 of meal chucking and he's abstracted away from what he's doing. He's basically just seeing what physics tricks he can do to the boxes with the plane's draft.

For some reason this story amuses me.

(Yes I know they're obviously not going to be individually hurled from a plane. I'm having fun don't ruin it.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I feel like I offered this before and got lazy, but if you give screenshots that I can read I’d actually translate for realsies.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Well crap.

I offered at least. Bonus : I don’t have to read god drat simplified.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When I was a kid we would fish these out of the canals around our beach house and fry them just like this...small fry, pop right in the mouth.

These too were common fare. My dad still eats them all the time. I prefer the spicy tomato sauce but I can’t find any in the US like they have in Europe...

Just go to Aldi. There are poo poo tons.

(I'm so sorry if you don't live near an Aldi. I remember those dark days.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Plinkey posted:

Aldi has good sardines?

Herring is more common, but yes also sardines in my experience.

Also gently caress the haters, Aldi owns. O no I have to bag my own poo poo so the cashier makes something vaguely like a ghost of a living wage. The horror. The horror.

We moved so there's one in walking distance and I have literally never been happier.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, your Aldi is loving weird. I’ve been to branches in 5 states and 3 countries and they’ve all been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

https://careers.aldi.us/location/ohio-jobs/61/6252001-5165418/3

All of those have a starting salary of $12+.

Are you sure it's a real Aldi?

• Locked thread