Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

OlyMike posted:

You're mentioned a couple times that they sell these at the stores on base. Why is gods name would anyone buy and eat these if they had the ability to cook and eat real food?

If you can just go to any base and buy MREs, what do they cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Reading around, it doesn't seem that NK even has official packaged rations.

You'd need to have food before you can make packaged rations.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Aren't vegetarian MRE's halal/kosher by default?

Halal, yes. All the restrictions are to do with the slaughter of animals for food, so anything vegetarian should be halal.

Kosher, no. There's restrictions on how old grain has to be and how long after planting fruit was harvested. And restrictions on cheese, if the meal is vegetarian but not vegan. If you're strict, then you also need a Jewish cook and/or a Jewish baker to have made everything you're eating, too.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
$200 plus free food for a month? If I were near that, why the hell not?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I suspect there are concerns that MREs have that Kool-Aid doesn't. Like, you want the package to be small so you can't sweeten it with bulk sugar like Kool-Aid does, and you also don't want the drink to act as a diuretic, so aspartame and a lot of other artificial sweeteners are off the table.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
So, it was mentioned many pages ago, I think, that you could get MREs or MRE-alikes at US military bases, I think? I think someone mentioned a civilian version that was the same except for being in clear packaging instead of the brown.

Well, I'm going to be going to Ft. Belvoir in northern Virginia in the next few days, and I would like to grab a few, if I can. Where might one find those? The commissary? The PX?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I've been trying a few modern US MREs, and part of this is really confusing me. How the hell are you supposed to use the heater? There's two things that need to be heated, usually, and the bag just isn't big enough to do one on each side.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

You use a rock or something, duh.

What I mean is, like, you've got one mre heater in its sleeve, and you have an entree, and you have a side thing that's usually rice, and both of those need to be heated! So how do you do that if you can only fit one of them into the pouch? The instructions on the pack and that I can find online say nothing about how to heat up the rice side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Soylent is just Ensure with a sheen of techbro bullshit on it. I'm pretty sure the military is aware that liquid meal replacements exist.

Not quite. I don't think you're supposed to live off Ensure, and Ensure certainly isn't made out of mold and lead like Soylent seems to be.

• Locked thread