Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

McSpergin posted:

So I have just ordered an MRE out of my own curiosity, a Russian one. I'm slightly concerned after seeing the posts, but am interested to know how/where people are getting their American MRE. I can get Korean, and some European as well as the general ones from camping stores etc but am curious to try a few after reading this thread.

You can buy US MRE's on eBay, there are people selling them on there from the UK so I imagine you can get the same from your country. You just have to watch out for the fact that MRE's are packed by the meal instead of per 24 hours like most other rations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
One thing this thread has got me hooked on is the US Military Recipe Cards, which are fascinating to me on a number of levels but not least because as a Brit I can play the game of Is This Dish:

1. A weird regional US thing
2. A weird US military thing

So stuff like Beef Porcupines, Congo Bars or Pineapple Marshmallow Coleslaw - what the gently caress do these taste like, and would anyone not in the military make them? Are these weird relic recipes from the 40's or just there in case Army cooks are in some situation where they've not been resupplied for a while and have to use whatever weird poo poo they've got? It's interesting!

One other thing I have learned from this as a Brit is holy poo poo imperial measurements are so loving bad. There is a multiple page section in the General Information pages covering how to scale up or down recipes (all recipe cards are for 100 portions) becuase it turns out if you have measurements like "2 quarts 1-1/4 cups beef broth" or "1-7/8 oz salt" if you need to scale that back by, say, a third, that's not actually very easy, at all. The guidelines even give instructions on how to convert something like 7/8 oz into lbs (0.0547 for reference) so you can multiply it by 2 or 0.5 or whatever, and my immediate thought it...why not just write the recipes like that in the first place? Or even better, just use metric?

I've had to use a spreadsheet to convert everything into metric so I can scale it easier because as it turns out I don't really need to make 100 portions of Chicken Cacciatore (Cooked Chicken, Diced) at a time.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
So far I've found that the recipes are pretty good, as long as you double the seasonings. Otherwise yeah, you are in bland mush city.

I wonder if it's a 'save money' thing to skimp on seasonings or an 'assume the chefs are idiots' thing.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
On the subject of seasonings one 100 portion recipe called for 1/8 tsp of garlic powder. Like what is the point, really.

OTOH Quick Coffee Cake and Brownies are both really good. I think I'm seeing a pattern here

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Anne Whateley posted:

Congo bars are totally normal, not military or regional here. They're just blondies. I know your cookies are weird, but do you not have blondies? Bar cookies? Brownies?

Blondies - known of but a rarity
Bar cookies - sort of, usually in the form of something like caramel shortbread or a traybake. I'd never heard of something like baking chocolate chip cookie dough in a tray and slicing it until I saw it in an American recipe
Brownies - We have them

As for Congo Bars it's more the name - nobody over here would know what the gently caress that was just from the name alone. Probably a similar thing if you saw an Eccles Cake on a menu, would you have any idea what that was just from the name?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

subpar anachronism posted:

I will hear nothing against ambrosia salad, it's so gross looking but sooooo good. It's just referred to ominously as 'green stuff' in my family; if any of you want to inch closer to diabetes, here's my mom's recipe.

8 oz. shredded pineapple
12 oz. pineapple chunks or tidbits
1 sm. Can mandarin oranges
1 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. coconut
1 c. nuts
1 8 oz. Cool whip
1 sm. box pistachio pudding

Put pineapple and juice in bowl. Add drained mandarins. Sprinkle pudding mix on top and let set about 3 min. Mix in nuts and coconut, then fold in marshmallows and cool whip. Chill and eat!

See this I can understand, sort of, because it's just a fruit salad

It's the weird way that nominally savoury things like coleslaw get turned into sweet things that baffles me about US cooking. If i'm making something like barbecue sauce, cornbread or coleslaw from an American recipe I usually have to halve or even quarter the sugar or it just ends up far too sweet for me.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

MrYenko posted:

Alton Brown, the TV chef that advocates making nearly everything from scratch, recommends box cake mixes, because the chemistry required to get it just right is such a pain in the rear end when you’re making just a single cake.

Baking cakes is real loving easy tho

idgi

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
we don't have trader joes over here and now you are all giving me some serious FOMO

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
IIRC the Finns were the meth kings of WWII in terms of how much soldiers were taking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
lol imagine living in a country where Everclear is legal. THANKS, BRUSSELS :britain:

• Locked thread