Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Did they also have to tie him down to keep him from trying to eat the doctors monitoring him after the first month?

Apparently if you fast for long enough you stop feeling hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The card inside it doesn't have anything useful, I assume? All I can make out is the words 'after taste' and 'thirst quencher'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I had a friend that was part of a DoD-funded research project to test stimulant benefits vs side-effects, and according to him they ended up settling on caffeinated gum as the most effective option.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Let's not make Red Cross out to be complete saints. There was a house fire while I was at work which left me homeless (house converted to apartments). I got a bag of toiletries and a fiimsy pamphlet on laundry tips. Not even a blanket. So, yeah, depends on your Red Cross.

Yeah there's a hell of a lot of embezzlement

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

One vegan meal worth 2200 calories? That's gotta be interesting. Is it just a bunch of nuts?

It's probably 50% peanut butter by weight.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I just saw an ad on TV for 'gourmet survival rations' by Wise. Allegedly a 25-year lifespan, 'call in the next five minutes for a free sample' infomerical type sell.

The most bougie thing on TV.

But hey if you're willing to get spammed by them for our amusement, it is another ration to try.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

It's funny that things that used to be marks of poverty are now bourgie stuff. Chicory coffee, raw sugar, brown rice, leather clothes, and so on.

Tin cans...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-06/tiffany-s-foray-into-everyday-objects-includes-1-000-tin-can

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fishmech posted:

It isn't. A typical medium celery stalk has just 6 calories in the thing, but you would burn 1 calorie or less in eating and digesting it. On top of that when you make it into flakes, you're really trimming and throwing out a lot of the undigestible fiber bulk and the water content. That listed 100 gram portion of celery flakes is a) a pretty huge amount of tiny diced matter to eat at once and b) being made out of several kilos of raw celery.

The "celery is basically negative calories" thing is just something that was thought up by people selling diet books, so they could list something with a very small amount of calories, and then oversell it a bit.

Hmm... medium celery stalk is about 20 grams? Heat of fusion for water is 80 cal/g, 37 cal/g to move from frozen to body temperature...

You can burn a full 2 kCal just by freezing your celery before you eat it! That cuts the calories by a third! #lifehacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

how about sugar-base cole slaw

• Locked thread