Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have always been awed by anyone who can cook well in bulk. Hell, cooking DECENTLY in bulk is awesome enough. Scale is a hell of a thing.

This is the kind of stuff we used to do at Concordia Language Villages in Bemidji back when I worked there in the 90's. High end food for sometimes 200+ people at a time, 3 meals a day. We usually served family style but sometimes served individually. All covers ready at the same time for seated kids or adults ready to eat. All with a national theme depending on the site (German, Norwegian, Japanese, Finnish, Spanish, French, etc.) We also only usually ran 3-4 people per shift. It wasn't hard at all if you had your groove on and knew the recipes.

I learned most of what I know about "La Technique" from there. Until this day, if you were to ask me for 2 hotel pans of diced onions, I'd ask "how do you want the dice?" If you asked for carrots sliced, I'd ask if you wanted them "on the bias." I was never a head cook, only assistant, but we ran brigade style and it was fun. Probably the best job I ever had.

The only problem is that, even 17 years later, I still only know how to cook for large amounts of people. I always make too much food. I also miss my tilt skillet, steam kettle, steamers, bread slicers, bakers, underlings, and the absurd amount of available work surfaces.

I loved watching the video and seeing how all of the line cooks rose to the challenge and made great food. Everything looked great on both sides of the Pacific.

mostlygray fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

holttho posted:

"Gee, I dunno how you boys are gonna take this 7-layer dip into battle with ya. Me an' Barb an' Ole Sorensen made too much the other day and we just can't eat all of it, you take some! Share with the boys! Ok, bye bye now!

See ya later!

Take care now!

Have a good one!

Take er easy!

Buhbye!

Needs about an hour at the door talking. You hold the door open and you use your foot behind you to keep the dog/cat inside as the guest inches towards their car. Keep talking until the person feels rude to just close their car door.

Ok.
Ok.
Uh huh.
Uh huh.
Ok, bye.
Ok, bye.
Bye.
Bye.
See ya.
Oh, did you hear about (etc)?
GOTO 10

Remember to keep the door open and keep using your off foot to block the dog/cat from running out. This process is a bare minimum 60 minutes.

Also, my Grandma made the best Chop Suey there ever was. It was absurdly salty. Not sure what this has to do with Military food but my Grandpa served in the Army Air Corps in WWII and he liked it.

• Locked thread