Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Wikipedia has an image of a Soyer stove.

edit: digging a little bit reveals a claim that the stove, modernized, was in use with the British army through the first Gulf war. Source is given as

Brandon, Ruth. The People's Chef: Alexis Soyer, A Life in Seven Courses. Chichester, West Sussex, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.

at page 241.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If you participate, please please please stick exactly to the diet. Like 55% of all the problems in nutrition research come from research participants not following their regimen, then lying about it in some way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

in the 1950s/60s nutrition science was still at a point where the underlying concept of the food groups was under development. The best most folks knew was the Basic Four. Any evaluation of how well that tin would work really hinges on the content of those vitamin and salt tablets.

...dammit, someone's sabotaging the food pyramid entries again...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Is it possible that you were supposed to cook/heat the bacon you got in the Russian ration?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It'd be one hell of a last post.

quote:

hey guys, just got the WW2 survival ration" this one contains "energy tablets" as well as hardtack, I'll have to try one of them. I bet with how much caffiene I consume it won't even effect me, lol/

Anyways I should have my writeup ready tomorrow, got lotsa pictures!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Soylent is also probably more expensive to produce than conventional rations, and I'm not confident it's not less nutritious.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Energy drink/supplement use in the military is a huge problem; DoD has been doing survey research for a few years on the subject, and one of the likely outcomes is to severely limit use of bodybuilding and energy/diet supplements. The rate of use is so high/service members are so credulous that the military is a great place to look if you want to find cases of supplement adulteration, because enlisted guys will use anything- in just about any combination, too.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 24, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This isn't written in french; you should sue.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 24, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

Check ✅ me out on tumblr! 😜

I, buh, what? red pandas? Is this some sort of in-joke I'm missing?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Phuzzy posted:

This was notable enough for the inclusion of a note inside the package that basically read, 'marines, this package has been specifically designed to meet your nutritional needs. DO NOT TRADE ITEMS WITH OTHER PEOPLE'.

I think I discussed this a while before, but yeah, this is genuinely a huge thing with MREs across the board. In the US, MREs are actually the product of very rigorous nutrition science research from a few directions, but they have to be formulated with the assumption that the consumer eats the whole thing. Service members complaining about digestive effects of rations are usually throwing away or trading part of their meal- or they have something else going on with their diet that's throwing things out of whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Phuzzy posted:

You mean all that jalapeno cheese paste is... BAD FOR PEOPLE SOMETIMES?

Must be the loving cooks, I bet they put sawdust in it. Not like the peanut spread, I ate like ten pounds for a bet yesterday and I'm fine, bro. On an unrelated note, my intestines just exploded.

• Locked thread