Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

After finding this thread I was inspired to actually try one of the MRE's I bought to keep in my truck in case of emergency.

These are from "Meal Kit Supply" and cost about $10 each in a case of 12 from Amazon. I bought these about two years ago, the listed shelf life varies based on the storage temperature, and I figure my my truck gets hot enough that I should rotate them out.

The one I grabbed to try ended up being "Marinara Sauce with Meatballs". Here's all the contents except the heater:

And the entrees, Potato Cheddar Soup and Marinara Sauce with Meatballs:

The heater pack and little stuff. I am not sure if anyone in this thread has reviewed a heater of this type.

The heater in action. It leaked and didn't effectively heat both entrees

Crackers and Peanut Butter. The crackers were dry and boring, the peanut butter was creamy and just like any other. Not pictured the bright yellow-green sports drink, very similar to gatorade in taste.

The back of the boxes for the entrees. I don't think anyone's posted this yet, little blurbs about nutrition and such.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the entrees while I was eating them. The potato cheddar soup was totally fine, very cheesy and bacony, probably the best thing in the pack. The marinara was just like canned chef boyardee or such. The texture on the meatballs was disconcertingly bland and uniform. Just the stuff I've mentioned so far was more than I normally eat for dinner, so I didn't finish the crackers, peanut butter, or marinara, and I didn't prepare the hot cocoa or pudding. I saved the coffee for this morning:

It was horrible. Even for instant coffee it was at best flavorless. I drank only one sip before throwing it out and making some fresh coffee.

Overall nothing made me sick and while pretty bland at home I think I would be fine eating these indefinitely if I get lost in the middle of nowhere or such. As long as I pack enough via pouches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Last week I went camping and ate two more MREs similar to the kind I documented before. No pictures this time as I ate them when out hiking / driveabouting. Both were breakfast, one was a pork sausage patty and hashbrowns, the other oatmeal and assorted other crap. Taste on everything was poor and unappetizing, though nothing make me sick so I guess it did its job. The hot cocoa drink I did try this time, but poured it our for being too gross. Compared even to the Mountain House freeze dried stuff I ate at camp it was just bad. At least four days of eating like this made the Fish & Chips I had in Bodega Bay on the way home seem like the best ever.

• Locked thread