Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Ukrainian Rations Are Worse Than Artillery Fire - The Military Food Thread

Or:

War Crimes in a Can - The Military Food Thread

The Conflict in Canmia, the Russians are Canning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

By the way, exactly how do you search for recipe cards on the Quartermaster site? I can pull up this PDF with a link to the index of recipes, but can't actually pull up any recipes themselves.

Just Google the number in the right column.

Or the address is: http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/section_{Letter}/{ID Number}.pdf

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

That's actually a common misconception. While MREs are labeled claiming that commercial resale is unlawful, there's actually no law anywhere on the books criminalizing their sale (which is why eBay has steadfastly refused to prevent their sales). Soldiers will get in trouble for being caught selling them, but civilians are 100% in the clear to purchase and sell them anywhere.

I've tried several commercial MRE brands and found them all lacking compared to the real deal. Lesser quality food and fewer items.

Well 'real' MREs all had some kind or orogin with the military/government, so if someone is selling them they are probably stolen unless you can buy MREs from bulk government auctions.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

I think I discussed this a while before, but yeah, this is genuinely a huge thing with MREs across the board. In the US, MREs are actually the product of very rigorous nutrition science research from a few directions, but they have to be formulated with the assumption that the consumer eats the whole thing. Service members complaining about digestive effects of rations are usually throwing away or trading part of their meal- or they have something else going on with their diet that's throwing things out of whack.

The research and science that went into MREs over the last like 200 years is pretty fascinating.

This book is tangentially related https://www.amazon.com/Combat-Ready-Kitchen-U-S-Military-Shapes/dp/1591845971

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I could eat these for lunch every day.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They are such fine/(mushy I guess) bones that you don't even realize they have bones unless you go looking for them.

Like the difference between eating worms and snakes if you want to translate it to land-food.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just go to Aldi. There are poo poo tons.

(I'm so sorry if you don't live near an Aldi. I remember those dark days.)

Aldi has good sardines?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gnoman posted:

A bottom-barrel supermarket chain that cuts prices to the bone by paying their workers like crap and never cleaning the store.

enough about walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They also sell these for like 4 bucks.

• Locked thread