Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

We will fight them to the last. And we will defend those that cannot defend themselves. Today we fight, brothers and sisters. Today we stand up and never, ever relent. Brothers and sisters -- prepare yourselves. Today we go to WAR!

Lipstick Apathy

Just don't get the "chicken tetrazzini" MRE, it's bad. Beef stew, on the other hand, is actually pretty decent. So are the spaghetti ones. (There are two spaghetti, I think - one in meat sauce and one without meat. They actually make vegetarian MREs now, and I think that's one of them.)

What's funny is, in deployment training, you see a ton of people switching out crackers and whatever came with them. Half the people who get peanut butter want the cheese and vice versa.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2015 around 11:31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

We will fight them to the last. And we will defend those that cannot defend themselves. Today we fight, brothers and sisters. Today we stand up and never, ever relent. Brothers and sisters -- prepare yourselves. Today we go to WAR!

Lipstick Apathy

Secret Spoon posted:

Some of the pouches have intricate instructions like "lean on a rock, or something".

They really DO say that, first time I saw it I couldn't help but laugh. (For those who haven't seen it - "Lean on a rock, or something" is in the instructions for the heating pack, it's basically telling you to sit it upright so the water doesn't fall out. Some grunts actually NEED to be told this)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Failed Nihilist posted:

I know it's weird, but I really like these things when I can get them.

My personal recommendations:
-Southwest beef and black beans
-Spaghetti with meat sauce
-Chili and macaroni
-Chili
-Beef Stew

The only one I hated was the veggie burger w/ bbq sauce, and I've heard nightmarish stories about the veggie omelet (discontinued).

Also, if no one has posted it yet, here's a great link for info about MREs and such: http://www.mreinfo.com/links/

Yeah dude those are probably the best ones. I don't know about the southwest beef & black beans, never had that but the others you listed (especially beef stew and chili mac) are pretty popular and for good reason.

I mean, this isn't like restaurant quality food but imagine like, the upper tier of canned/bagged food that costs good money at the store. It's not great but it's pretty drat good when it's all you've got.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at Nov 8, 2015 around 10:34

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Wizard posted:

Here's a tumblr of pictures of American military chow hall food.

Most were taken at an Army base. Right now it's difficult to update because of not being able to have my phone with me during the majority of the work day.

Wow, so much of this looks so familiar. Also, someone left an excellent comment:

quote:

This DFAC is afraid of me…I have seen its true face. The chow lines are extended troughs and the troughs are full of chipped beef and when the grease drains finally clog, all the enlistedmen will drown. The accumulated filth of all their whiskey diarrhea and MRE shits will foam up about their waists and all the privates and sergeant majors will look up and shout “Feed us!”… and I’ll look down and whisper “Chowdown.”

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

LLeGGo posted:

This opinion is butts. I would legit eat a chicken tetrazinni right now. Cold or hot, I'd always take one of them if I could.
drat, I think you're the first person I've ever seen/heard say that.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

This got solved when they copied the German-designed jerrycan. The stoves made from them were unreliable, but still usable.
Didn't those things have a habit of occasionally, y'know, EXPLODING? ...or is it a different stove I'm thinking of?

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have always been awed by anyone who can cook well in bulk. Hell, cooking DECENTLY in bulk is awesome enough. Scale is a hell of a thing.
Definitely. It's one thing to be able to make a great dinner for 8. It's an entirely different thing to be able to make something even *good* for dinner for 1400.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Measure everything in Altuves.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Okay yeah but those are all real measurements and stuff guys, you've gotta get more creative with the ludicrous units.

Like meters! Or kilograms! And other fantasy stuff like that.

What the hell is that poo poo? Might as well use quirbles or florps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

Yep. The absolute worst case scenario for us is that they would successfully attack the United States with a nuclear device. That's incredibly unlikely. What's more likely is that they would do a lot of damage to SK with artillery fire, especially since the population is so concentrated in Seoul and evacuation would be a nightmare to implement. There's also the danger that they would use stockpiles of chemical or biological weapons, or that in the event of regime collapse, some faction would get ahold of them and use them within or without North Korea.

I doubt they could successfully get a nuke all the way to America, but they could probably hit Seoul and maybe even Tokyo with one, which would be the biggest disaster in human history. They may already have chemical/biological weapons that can get that far at least.

Ugh, I don't even want to think about that. Please don't let that happen.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at Jun 3, 2016 around 21:14