Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phanatic posted:

This is the saltiest thing I've ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt:

My grandmother used to make SOS for my grandfather probably every month or so, and I still enjoy it to this day, but I don't think I've ever had any cooked to the actual Army recipe using actual Army beef, chipped, dried, chopped, because 1.2 grams of salt for a whole 169 calories sounds loving insane. For your standard 2000cal/day diet that'd be over 14 grams of salt.

I do this for my family twice a month, or more. It's... less nutty than it sounds off the bat. We tend to use Buddig packaged beef, and the "beef" not corned beef. But ~all~ the salt for the recipe comes from that meat. Oh, and fresh milk.

The "cook for 5 minutes" step, is building a roux. But how the heck are you going to teach every goon with a spoon how to build a roux?

Then you put it over toast, which does a lot for cutting the saltiness.

sleepy.eyes posted:

That sounds so much better than creamy BS that is most of what I've seen. Is it sort of like sauerkraut?

He'll, I hate most anything with mayo in it, that stuff disgusts me.

There's "vinegar base" and "cream base" Coleslaw. The creamy stuff is what you'll find on sandwiches. Vinegar base is what you find at KFC, Popeye's, and Long John Silvers. It's closer to a pickle salad than over-chopped side salad. I've learned to ask before I order it as a side. The disappointment, and disgust of find mayo based coleslaw has left many plates of mine, still decorated with that ick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Manuel Calavera posted:

All slaws are good slaws.

Where did the bad cook touch you? Here, show me on this eggplant.

• Locked thread