Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Is Asik a 30+mpg starter for them? Or will they have a hole in the front court when Ryan Anderson leaves for a bazillion dollars

Playing Asik 30 minutes in the years 2016-17 is a tanking strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Let me tell you about tyreke evans

haha

:suicide:

WhyteRyce posted:

Is Asik a 30+mpg starter for them? Or will they have a hole in the front court when Ryan Anderson leaves for a bazillion dollars

No, he's always been a 20-25 minute guy.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

He shreds the thunder every time and makes me upset #FuckAEvans

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'd draft Brown at three if he agreed to cut his hair

what if the rebound-spring from your hair onto your hand was an important part of your shot and the barber had to make it exactly the correct length or you lose the finals

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

what if the rebound-spring from your hair onto your hand was an important part of your shot and the barber had to make it exactly the correct length or you lose the finals

The spring from curly hair would be much too random to work as an essential shot component

You really need hair that gives way completely to the pressure of the wrist or no real amount of hair in the way. Coach Budenholzer told me he's only going to trade for Noel if he cuts his hair.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 4, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/seltzers-notebook-exhausting-resources-pick-prep-saric-starts-finals

quote:

Eversley indicated Thursday that the Sixers are keeping an open mind.  He said, for example, that Kentucky shooting guard Jamal Murray is “certainly going to be one of those kids who is going to be in contention for the number one pick.”

Smokescreens within smokescreens

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
the colangelos are in charge now so i'm just going to assume all the stupid stuff is 100% true

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The ESPN mock had Marquese Chriss to the Raptors forever but now it looks like he's gonna go higher, so which 4s are gonna be there at 9? Are they gonna be reaching for Skal/Sabonis?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hand Knit posted:

The ESPN mock had Marquese Chriss to the Raptors forever but now it looks like he's gonna go higher, so which 4s are gonna be there at 9? Are they gonna be reaching for Skal/Sabonis?

Deyonta Davis possibly.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Theyre probably not going to draft based on position.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there any strong 3 and D swingmen in the draft? I'd be cool with that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like you want to draft a guy hoping he's more than a three & D dude, especially since you don't really know if a guy can do that usually until he's been in the league 3-4 years.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are there any strong 3 and D swingmen in the draft? I'd be cool with that.
Brandon Ingram, Taurean Prince and Jaylen Brown if they can ever 3

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Skal moving up the charts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj34wOSl_DE

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I want those highlights to represent his NBA game so I can call him Skalmarcus Aldrissiere in my head.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Skal is a perfect pick for all of the teams from 10-12

He could be the super long, athletic, switchable, rim protecting 4 for Milwaukee
He could provide the stretch at 4 Orlando craves, and he's the sort of high ceiling prospect that Utah needs to be a serious contender at some point. And all of them are bad enough to pick a player who'll need 3 years to learn how to play basketball.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A bunch of words from a guy who likes Chriss and thinks he'll be around for awhile (even though it might not be for the team that drafted him)
http://www.deepishthoughts.com/kaisers-draft-notes-xviii/

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do think about thinking about changing my mind on Chriss. He might end up fine, but there is something about him that screams NO! to me.

I did a draft game thread last year. I think i got 2nd to metapod maybe? Is anyone interested in doing another?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

WhyteRyce posted:

A bunch of words from a guy who likes Chriss and thinks he'll be around for awhile (even though it might not be for the team that drafted him)
He is making the argument that because he's athletic and blocks shots, he's going to be good at defense...i wonder what his thoughts on thomas robinson and jj hickson are?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

If you read to the end, he only says he thinks he'll be like Charlie Villanueva, who's about as bad as you can be as an NBA player and keep getting contracts. He's basically making the same points we've made as a body in the last couple pages, his upside is tantalizing, his downside is obvious and all of the observable makers of desire and basket intelligence are missing.

To return to the Skal comparison, Skal looks like he has no loving idea what he's doing, which is preferable to knowing what to do but not feeling like doing it

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 8, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you read to the end, he only says he thinks he'll be like Charlie Villanueva, who's about as bad as you can be as an NBA player and keep getting contracts. He's basically making the same points we've made as a body in the last couple pages, his upside is tantalizing, his downside is obvious and all of the observable makers of desire and basket intelligence are missing.

He thinks he'll be around the league for awhile but not worth a top 10 pick because of what the QOs will cost. So get yourself ready for Portland to sign him in about 2-3 years

And he clearly doesn't think Chriss is a boom or bust guy at all, another key difference between what people are saying.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 8, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

He thinks he'll be around the league for awhile but not worth a top 10 pick because of what the QOs will cost. So get yourself ready for Portland to sign him in about 2-3 years

And he clearly doesn't think Chriss is a boom or bust guy at all, another key difference between what people are saying.

He defines bust as out of the league, to me, the celtics 3rd pick in the 2016 draft becoming Charlie Villanueva post losing his confidence is safely a bust.

Ekpe Udoh is in his list, a casualty of the achilles tear. RIP Ekpe, you had a hilarious nose.

Skal doesn't know how to play, Marqueese doesn't seem to care, I would have more faith in teaching a young Haitian boy the ins and outs of positioning than teaching someone to care.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Does height in shoes vs height in bare feet matter? As long as both heights are measured at the same time, the players will be wearing shoes in game, no?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does height in shoes vs height in bare feet matter? As long as both heights are measured at the same time, the players will be wearing shoes in game, no?

But you get guys like Cole Aldrich wearing some ridiculous platform shoes that they probably would never play an actual game in

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
who is it
WHO'S it gonna be
which draft maniac do I have to throttle around here to figure out who the next Kawhi is?
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/741004506461278208

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TheFallenEvincar posted:

who is it
WHO'S it gonna be
which draft maniac do I have to throttle around here to figure out who the next Kawhi is?
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/741004506461278208

Dejounte Murray might be the PG version of Kawhi. The Celtics need to trade at least one of their picks if they can't stash it, so that might be a grade partner for him, but he might already be gone.

Malachi Richardson is a possibility. He's canceled all his late lottery workouts which probably means he has a few promises in the mid draft.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rick posted:

Dejounte Murray might be the PG version of Kawhi. The Celtics need to trade at least one of their picks if they can't stash it, so that might be a grade partner for him, but he might already be gone.

Malachi Richardson is a possibility. He's canceled all his late lottery workouts which probably means he has a few promises in the mid draft.

Two freshman guys with terrible shot selection don't scream Spurs to me

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/thevertical/status/741274338570145792

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can't wait to hear Danny Ferry's hot takes on Chinese prospects.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A Syracuse prospect rocketing his way into the top 10? In my NBA?
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20160608_After_Malachi_Richardson_s__phenomenal__workout__is_he_on_Sixers__radar_.html

quote:

Still, his stock skyrocketed after the workout, so much so that he canceled this week's workouts for the Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets. Richardson had been scheduled to fly to Phoenix on Tuesday evening.

"Phenomenal," a league scout said of Richardson's performance. "It's looked like last year's [Kristaps] Porzingis workout. I'm hearing he's going in the top 10."

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
After seeing the Dion propel to superstardom Syracuse is a hot ticket item again

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chad Ford draft buzz
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comments/4ngvoq/request_for_insider_on_chad_fords_draft_buzz/

quote:

"The Lakers should take Marquese Chriss at No. 2."
First Kevin Pelton says the Lakers should take Dragan Bender at No. 2. Now this?
Chriss was at No. 8 on our Big Board for quite a while, and moved up to No. 6 in our latest Big Board. We are currently projecting him to go No. 4 to the Suns in our latest mock draft.
But No. 2? Over Brandon Ingram? Is the hype going overboard?
2016 NBA draft
Get ready for Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and the 2016 draft, with analysis from Chad Ford and other ESPN experts.
Who's in, who's out of the draft?
Chriss' elite athleticism, combined with size, length and the ability to both stretch the floor and protect the rim make him a unique prospect. Few players have a similar combination of physical tools and basketball skills.
In the past few weeks I've heard comparisons to Shawn Marion and Shawn Kemp. As we've been saying in this space for a while, he has highest ceiling in the draft after Ben Simmons and Ingram.
But does he have a higher ceiling than Ingram? Perhaps. He's a better athlete, and given his body type, he might be a better defender (if he can learn how to stay out of foul trouble).
That said, he's not the shooter Ingram is and his floor is also much lower. Ingram is more of a sure thing. Chriss is much more raw, and while he is clearly competitive, his decision-making on the court is a lot further behind compared to Ingram.
Talking to Lakers sources, I think Ingram is the pick for L.A. at No. 2. He has similar upside to Chriss without the risks.
But after that? The Celtics, Suns and Wolves all will be very tempted. I'm still betting on the Suns at No. 4. But the Celtics taking him at No. 3 is a real possibility.

quote:

"Malachi Richardson canceled his workout with us."
This was relayed to me by a team in the mid-first round. It was confirmed by another team in the early 20s. What's going on? It looks as if his agent is confident that Richardson is going somewhere in the late lottery or slightly later. The Jazz (No. 12), Suns (No. 13), Nuggets (No. 15 and No. 19) and Hawks (No. 21) have gotten workouts. It sounds as if the Bucks (No. 10) will get one as well.
Agents do this all the time. They get what are called "soft promises" from teams that basically say, "If the draft plays out the way we think it will and if we keep the pick, we'll take your guy." If agents get multiple soft promises, they often choose to limit a player's workouts.
It's not clear exactly why the workouts were canceled, but the evidence suggests that Richardson's range is No. 10 to No. 21.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

morestuff posted:

Two freshman guys with terrible shot selection don't scream Spurs to me

Manu needs a replacement.

But seriously, my thinking was that they could throw Chip Engelland at them like they did Kawhi. Especially with Dejounte who is being characterized as a guy who would be a top 5 pick if he could shoot.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

Manu needs a replacement.

But seriously, my thinking was that they could throw Chip Engelland at them like they did Kawhi. Especially with Dejounte who is being characterized as a guy who would be a top 5 pick if he could shoot.

He's apparently going mid-round at this point, which I'm thrilled with. Would love Baldwin or Jackson to still be there at 22.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'll be happy with anything past a morose Eastern European draft and stash

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lakers Ingram workout reportedly went well, but they usually do (Mudiay is the only one I can remember it being leaked that he played poorly).

--

ESPN posted a bit of the 538 projection (I guess they're calling it the ESPN projection model now) http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/119567/a-guide-for-espns-nba-draft-projection-model

We haven't had enough time really to see how good these are yet, despite ESPN's claim that it's effective, but it does project Simmons as probably the 4th best collegiate pick of the draft, with the highest bust potential of the guys they featured.

Hopefully they post more than the top 5 projections at some point.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

"Egidijus Mockevicius, C, Sr., Evansville" has to be a made-up guy

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
nope, just Lithuanian

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Rick posted:

Lakers Ingram workout reportedly went well, but they usually do (Mudiay is the only one I can remember it being leaked that he played poorly).

--

ESPN posted a bit of the 538 projection (I guess they're calling it the ESPN projection model now) http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/119567/a-guide-for-espns-nba-draft-projection-model

We haven't had enough time really to see how good these are yet, despite ESPN's claim that it's effective, but it does project Simmons as probably the 4th best collegiate pick of the draft, with the highest bust potential of the guys they featured.

Hopefully they post more than the top 5 projections at some point.
All-Star Potential in First 5 Years

Last 4 Draft Classes
Anthony Davis 39%
Nerlens Noel 34%
Marcus Smart 32%
Dion Waiters 30%
Thomas Robinson 29%
Otto Porter 29%
Karl Anthony-Towns 27%
Victor Oladipo 24%
Joel Embiid 24%
Andrew Wiggins 20%

Looks like non sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

All-Star Potential in First 5 Years

Last 4 Draft Classes
Anthony Davis 39%
Nerlens Noel 34%
Marcus Smart 32%
Dion Waiters 30%
Thomas Robinson 29%
Otto Porter 29%
Karl Anthony-Towns 27%
Victor Oladipo 24%
Joel Embiid 24%
Andrew Wiggins 20%

Looks like non sense to me.

Nerlens Noel near the top of a ranking, Jahlil Okafor nowhere to be found?

Did r/sixers make this?

• Locked thread