Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Dragan Bender sounds like a episode of Futurama so I am on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

It happens a lot with big guys. The most notable example post-LeBron would be Oden in terms of draft hype, but it was also true of Karl Anthony Towns way back uhhhh...last year. And for wings Wiggins was probably farther along defensively in college than he was offensively, although it's been the opposite so far in the pros.

Yeah, the last two #1s were either going to be primary defensive player (KAT) or a two-way wing (Wiggins). In the NBA offense is generally more valuable than defense (which is why Carmelo has made way more money than Tony Allen), though a defensive rim-protector is generally pretty hyped.

And Wiggins defense has been pretty solid. Not really off the charts but he has been above average. The problem is the rest of the wing defenders on the Wolves are weak so its pretty easy to work around him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Joey Crawford saw this video then got so mad he retired

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Going back to this question, Givony thinks it'll be a strong draft for internationals.

Is that strength of the intl class or weakness of the college players? Dragon Bender is the only guy I've heard of with all-star potential.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I dunno, I think a flowchart of:
--
1. Can he score?
2. Will he anchor a defense?

If no to both be wary of #1 pick
---

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Simmons seems like a risk to me right now (note: I've only watched some of his game and was pretty underwhelmed).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

As I said I haven't watched a ton, but my sense is that Simmons will have trouble scoring at the next level (in the way that Lebron didn't have as big of a risk doing). That's not to say don't pick him, but I think teams are justified looking at Ingram or even Bender (once you can see what he can do in workouts).

My point is even if Simmons is projected as a taller Rajon Rondo, I wouldn't call that a #1 lock.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

DX said Jaylen Brown has limited bustability, so I'm 100% on that train now

"This guy has the highest floor in the draft" almost always means they will be the worst player in the draft.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For Thon isn't the rule 19 OR a year out of high school? He should be eligible.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Simmons wouldn't be a great fit on MN, if they do win the #1 Ingram is a much better fit, but yeah that team would be ridicu-fun

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A guy named Henry Ellison is not going to be an NBA star, come on.

gently caress, he's from Rice Lake too. He really does have Timberwolves written all over him. If the Wolves move up I am really hoping for Ingram, him at the 3 or playing small-ball 4 is really ideal. If not I want Dragan Bender (ROLL THOSE DICE!) or maybe Sabonis. Keep away from Jaylen Brown.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

They're drafting way too high to take Sabonis

So they'll probably be somewhere in the 5-6-7 range if they don't move up. Where do you think Sabonis will go?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A 6-10 guy with handles who can shoot is always interesting, but I didn't realize his 35% from 3 is tempered by only taking 14 of them in the regular season.

I'm not too interested in Buddy Hield since Zach LaVine is better right now and also younger.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah it really just depends on where they pick. Id say bpa between pg, sg, and pfs. They can use pretty much anything, if just to bolster the bench. Im excited for this team.

Actually, a SF who can shoot and handle the ball a bit is probably better than a SG. Wiggins is probably better suited at the 2, at least right now. I dunno if LaVine is really that much better as a starter or not though. A PF who can shoot is probably the best fit right now. We just need people who can shoot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Ingram cannot handle the ball a bit, though.

Ingram is the best fit for them, but not a perfect one. This was more in response to saying what the needs are, which is more of a SF who can do a bunch of stuff rather than a SG.

And I am not making GBS threads on Simmons, I think he's a great prospect, it's just that the Wolves have a really obvious flaw shooting the ball and it's the year 2016. If the Wolves get #2 or #3 and Simmons is there, they should take him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, a lot of teams flamed out this year: Knicks, Bucks, Wizards, Bulls, Rockets, Kings, Pelicans, Suns

Going into this season, you could have said all of those teams would make the playoffs and no one would bat an eye

Anyone who has the Knicks in the playoffs was being pretty wildly optimistic. You are right though, it did happen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Say goodbye to that first round money brolic, how's your Italian?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The blender question and the dumb math questions actually can be very useful and it has nothing to do with getting the right answer. For instance, with the bat and ball question, if the guy gets it wrong how does he react when you try to correct him? Does he get argumentative or stick to his story after being shown he is wrong? Is that how he'll react when trying to coach him out of taking long 2s?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

best case scenario: brandon ingram goes to the celtics

worst case scenario: brandon ingram goes to the sixers

nothing i've seen from him suggests he can be a primary scoring option at the NBA level, but he could easily come in and be a very good 3 and a little bit of D guy immediately. Think Celtics use picks to try and trade up from 3 to 2 if it goes chalk.

Best case would be Timberwolves. He can shoot and get sweet lobs from Ricky but only be expected to be the 3rd scorer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

If we goes to the Wolves does that move Wiggins to the 2 and drop LaVine to the bench? Or can Ingram play the 4?

Wiggins played better at the 2, he splits hit time there now. He is much better defended by a smaller defender and he's plenty quick to guard 2s. This would move LaVine to the bench but give lots of small-ball lineups.

A stud 4 would be a better fit, but the Wolves are still in BPA as long as the guy can shoot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That draft Thabeet and Curry were the same player. Not position wise, but "Lots of potential to do well or bust". Thabeet because he was so raw and Curry because it wasn't clear if he could play point or defend the 2, or bring enough to the table beyond shooting.

Thabeet was maybe a little reach, but not a huge one. I remember being was more surprised at Harden #3. What was funny was Thabeet went right into the D-League which at that time was basically unprecedented.

The best "Drafted a Big that everyone knew was a bust" was Jan Vesely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I was on the "Harden is the best player on the draft" train which would sound very impressive had Steph Curry not decided to become an all time great like over night.

No one loved Thabeet but I think the appeal was that he was generally seen as fairly low risk because at the very least he was so big people figured he could be a great rim protector in the Hibbert mold and there was hope he could maybe become more because he'd improved so much in college. No one was all that enthused about him going second even at the time though.

I'm not sure I'd call Thabeet a safe pick, but maybe a safe risk? He was definitely super-raw and had bust potential, on the other hand athletic 7'3" guy.

iamsosmrt posted:

Wasn't it one of those weirdly telegraphed picks where even the most casual fans knew it would fail?

I think it was one of those things where casual fans were right but for the wrong reasons. Casual fans frequently want you to take the 23 year old who had a good tournament but taking a swing for the fences isn't a bad idea. Thabeet probably should have gone a little later in the lottery though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Thabeet went higher than everyone thought he should, but in Memphis' defense Rubio apparently didn't want to play for them, the next tier of talent was filled with combo guards (which weren't in vogue at the time), and and Jordan Hill was the next best big. It was a reach at the time but one you could have talked yourself into.

Was the Rubio/Memphis thing real? I thought that whole thing was overblown because he once said "Gee, it'd be really cool to play for the Lakers or New York!". The real reason he dropped was his buyout was pretty ironclad and he'd have to lose money to come over any earlier than he did, and most GMs figured it'd hurt their ability to keep their job if they punted on a guy that early in the draft.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

Correct

There was a 1.9% chance of that happening

It's also the most likely scenario too. Any configuration of the draft has a Under 2% chance of happening. They are all unlikely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Not going to complain about Sacramento since they won the tie breakers and draft at 8 instead of 10. As far as I'm concerned they moved up 2 spots. Now to hope Minnesota or New Orleans falls in love with Ellenson or Skal

This guy grew up less than 2 hours from the twin cities

Thankfully Thibs at the helm might bring a bit more sanity in our drafting, but there will probably be clamoring to get this guy a jersey and a pontoon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there a Kirk Hinrich equivalent in the draft

If we blew our cap signing Deng, Kirk and Noah I would be sooo happy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Blake was also hella explosive on his first step to the basket, its probably his most important tool. I haven't watched much of Simmons but I haven't heard that about him.

NickRoweFillea posted:

No! He's coming to Memphis after they trade up

What you offering for #5?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Minnesota...hm. Mario Chalmers, Vince Carter, and the 17th pick

Enjoy watching Buddy score buckets with super friends KAT and Rubio.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Sometimes I want the Blazers to buy a second round pick and take a flier on Thon Maker. Then I remember he stayed an extra year in high school to play ball against people smaller than him instead of play college ball. Man, he is going to be so bad.

He'll go in the first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

He had roughly half the chest depth as the lady who was interviewing him at the lottery. He's a very very slight man.

Tats invalidate this comp.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

76ers, would you consider trading Okafor for the #5? Knee-jerk would be no, but then the 76ers might be interested in keeping the roster young & cheap.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The only leverage he has is if he does not play basketball at all for a year. Even if you go overseas, as long as you get paid to play basketball the team that drafts you retains your rights. He can decide not to workout with them or whatever, but he really have very little say in the matter unless he wants to go sell condos or whatever instead of play pro ball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kataphract posted:

The Big Lead ran an article on it - seemed to be entirely speculation, though based on Simmons seeming preference to be a Laker. Their recent example was Porzingas' agent basically refusing to let Philly talk to him, or see him work out, and it worked. He fell to big market New York at the four spot. There's always the outright refusal to play and try and force a trade, but that can seriously backfire. Or go overseas, but players tend to rebel at that point and tell their agent to go to hell. Even then, signaling a dislike for a given team may mean they can only rent that player for so long before he bolts or becomes a locker-room nuisance. Given that they have two pretty solid choices, they may at least consider the path of least resistance. If he refuses to work out for Philly, that will be the point you know it is more than a rumor. Until then...

Very few people thought Porzingis should go above Okafor. LA taking Russell is why Zingis went to New York, I don't think the workouts had a lot to do with it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Also there are strongly sourced rumors that the Sixers ownership did not want Porzingis.

Also jfc the gap between Porzingis and Okafor is not that great. It's not ridiculous to take okafor first.

I think it's pretty big but Porzingis came out of nowhere, he easily could have been a bust. Okafor was the better pick at the time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Kupchak has said he's not planning on trading the pick, for what it's worth.

I think that's what you say if you are not sure so your new, 19-year old rookie doesn't feel like the backup plan. For what it's worth, though, I think the Lakers should keep the pick and stay in rebuild for another year before making a move to actually get Ws.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be curious to see what teams would even really be able to offer Philly for him. He's still on his rookie deal, so making salaries match would be difficult. OTOH, Philly has to be way below the cap, right?

You only have to match if the deal leaves you over the cap AND you take more money than you sent. A whole bunch of teams will be under with the cap going up so lots of trade scenarios in play.

Durant sign-and-trade for Okafor will work fine, if that's what your asking.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think Okafor's value was higher at the trade deadline than it is now. Missing the last part of the season makes his warts look worse, and he was beginning to look better, but now the improvement is really only guesswork.

Boston also got #3 from the Net's pick, was a "win" so that pick has more value now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

If he was adopted by the parents of a recent entry into the draft be could be BeeJay Maker.

Cat Anya is adorable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'd say pretty goddamn low. I'd say it's more likely that Bender falls to than Dunn. Murray will probably be off the board as well.

I'd be shocked if MN passed on Bender but I don't think he'll be there. I am assuming he'd be gone. I think MN would go Hield above Dunn right now, with Ellenson as a dark horse. So Dunn might be there for Sacramento?? Probably not though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Chriss is the super athletic boom bust pf who didn't rebound or play defense. Bender is the guy who's been playing really well on a top team in a real league.

Bender is a bit of a Euro roll-of-the-dice. He hasn't been playing big minutes this year and is benched behind a bunch of stiffs. I sorta get that you don't play 18 year olds when trying to win a Championship, but its not like he's lighting the league up as a top performer.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him #3 in this draft but there is significant Bust potential.

Doing some research I did find this quote from the Italy-based, no-fun Agent version of Bill Walton.

quote:

"Top players from Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina play basketball to express beauty," said Maurizio Balducci, Bender's Italy-based agent, who is also watching the practice. "This is how [the late] Drazen Petrovic played and Toni Kukoc played. Dragan is very much from this culture. And dunking in a layup line when you are 7'1" is not an expression of beauty."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

if boston selects marquese chriss they are the worst organization. i hate jonathan givony.

Now I sorta think he looks like a Timberwolf

• Locked thread