Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

Who is this dragon bender and how do I hire him to serve my realm

What pisses me off isn't all the 99 rated recruits who inevitably play for Duke or Kentucky, it's the mother fuckers who are rated 70-90 who would rather sit on the bench at Duke or Kentucky than start for another program.

If you play for Duke for 4 years, you're guaranteed an easy job for some alumnus's company for the rest of your life, I don't know if you get that even as a star for IUPUI or Western Kentucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Looks like Wadjet-Bast

Is Jaylen Brown good or bad?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I thought Ben Simmons was just supposed to be a future all star with questions about his shooting and engagement, he looks a little bit better than that

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 10, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Pretty meh. Korkmaz and Luwawu might go in the first and there's Sabonis and the kid at Kansas.

I'm forgetting someone though.

As always, the caveat when I talk about non nba players, I've only watched highlight videos

Furkan Korkmaz is sort of a typical euro tall wing prospect, crafty scorer, maybe compare him to Fournier but with more playmaking.
Juan Hernangomez is an energy 4 who's a pretty good midrange shooter
Guerschon Yabusele is an undersized four who hip checks people like zbo, but all the way to the three point line, doesn't seem to be great a anything in particular.
Sabonis has short arms which is usually a kiss of death, haven't watched him at all.
Timothe Luwawu has long arms and is athletic. Videos of him in the adriatic league remind me a bit of Dennis Schroder in the german league, or Mudiay in china. He's longer, faster, and stronger than guys he's matched up with. He needs to learn basketball skills, that's why he's mocked way down.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If you're a non college basketball watching NBA fan, you might enjoy this article about why Skal Labissiere has fallen from #2 to number #18 and beyond in mocks

http://upsidemotor.com/2016/01/11/skal-labissiere-kentucky-karl-anthony-towns-2016-nba-draft-stock/

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/nba-scout-praises-kentuckys-tyler-ulis-crushes-skal-labissiere/160507684/
Features a link to this post where an NBA scout says he wouldn't pick Skal with the 51st pick

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Wade Baldwin has the freakish body of an NBA player. I don't know if he's especially good, but he looks the part. He's a very poor finisher, incredibly poor, but he's shooting really well from three.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 3, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Alex Poythress is going to leave Kentucky with a degree, he might get a masters before he's done

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Frank Ntilikina is the new international rocketing up the 2017 boards. Played well in the Basketball Without Borders tourney. From Givony's DX writeup:

Elite name tool, as Declan would say. I think I have a little bit of a touch for prospects in college games, and a little bit in international games, but in camp workouts, I don't know man. It's hard not to at least be alright when you have that sort of freakish body. We'll see babaayyy

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 19, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
About 2/3s of the Adriatic league needs to learn how to close out on three point shooters. I don't know how scouts scout players against these terrible defenses.

What are your opinions of Skal Labissiere? He's whiteside esque in his refusal to ever pass. He's clearly still learning and looks best when plays develop without him, to give him an extra beat to process what's going on and to use his stretchy popping body. He seems to mess up whenever he has to instantly react.

I'd be excited to draft him if I had a later lottery pick. He needs time.

Have you guys seen this silly thing
http://www.wired.com/2011/06/sports-aptitude-nba-draft/

quote:

A look at the report profile of one guard, who plays in the NBA’s Western Conference, displayed the myriad traits analyzed.

The report lists the player as being highly emotionally stable, highly relaxed, very practical, businesslike, perfectionistic, calm under pressure and lacking passion.

More categories delve deeper into the player’s personality. He’s measured by his capacity to negotiate (communication, not contracts), his problem-solving ability and his ability to motivate others. In all of these he scores as average.

Another layer of information shows the guard is composed, practical, not open to change and is not the voice of the group. His composure and professionalism make it seem as though he’s built to succeed in a competitive environment. Yet, his strengths don’t necessarily guarantee success.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Market-Watch-Will-Barton-5385/

quote:

The average person has around 60,000 thoughts per day. Which of these thoughts are turned to action is a byproduct of our tendencies when having internal dialogue on what to do. Collectively, we can surmise, 54% more of Barton's thoughts are given to passion, persistence, and a desire to prove himself.

That translates into over 32,000 more “personal pep talks” than the average NBA player, based on measurable data. Clearly a boon for staying prepared, this competitive mentality also carries over when on-court as well. If you estimate the average NBA game to last about two hours, that's 2,700 more self-affirmations in the face of adversity than the average player – enough to make Stuart Smalley proud.

If I was an agent and my player lost money based on this sort of complete pseudoscience personality assessment index I would explode like a voltorb.

Personality is an unchanging thing like height and not determined by context, role, health. You're 13 points too low in "non businesslike-ness" and 6 points too high in "capricity post-meal." Add that to your defaulting the control in the question about what you'd do if the seafood stand was out of crab, and we can't draft you higher than 21st.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 14, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
"This is one of the most Klutch agencies around, you definitely want to sign with us"-- Lebron James to Ben Simmons in an undated text

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If Aaron Gordon can score, Ben Simmons can score. It's not like he can't make a layup, he simply has a bad jump shot.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is Ben Simmons another iteration of Point Guard Giannis? Will all pgs be 6'10 from now on?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 21, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Did straight up brolic say Jaylen Brown falling in the draft was just like Stanley Johnson?

I've been watching his videos and his body, and the way he moves, make me think of a cross between Giannis and Stanley Johnson. You'd have to remove some of the basketball IQ, passing, and tough defense, to make that a complete comparison, but still. He's really good at slithering through 2 or 3 men to the rim, although he kills half the potential of those slithers by not passing to open shooters. I'm intrigued.

I've been watching Skal Labissiere too. He can be frightening when he's given the ball after a play's developed and decisions have sort of been made by the team, giving him nothing but a single good choice to make. Then he uses his silent hill enemy esque body to do incredible things. He would probably be a good Spur.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Hield is the annual Great Tournament Performance Causes Massive Overrating Of Older Prospect right

This isn't a fair question because there's no one else in the category, except Kris Dunn. He's basically the same player he was last year, which makes his play less of a fluke. Maybe Brice Johnson? But late lottery is hard to call massive overrating in this draft.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 29, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

There's one great name tool player we haven't talked about. Jaron Blossomgame

A crocus of a small forward, blooming in South Carolina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3kdESCj-5g

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

see to me the name Jason Blossomgame just screams 76ers 10 day guy

If you wait long enough for a blossomgame you might get a Jalen or a Malik Rose.
Frankly I want to smell a James Posey next to an Austin Rivers on the edge of a Qyntel Woods

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Close the thread

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I don't think he actually has handle and his jumper is a lot more inconsistent than it looks in highlight tapes. He is really really raw skill wise. General vibe I get is that NBA people on the whole have been disappointed with him. He has a chance to go in the first but it's not a lock, and he's definitely not the high lottery pick he got hyped up to be.

He's being mocked in the mid 20s now, we'll see what happens!

Thon Maker's stock dipped tremendously as a junior, but he's been very good since then -- motor, length, rebounds, touch, added strength.

— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) April 4, 2016

He's only 6'11 or 6'10 if you remove his neck height. He does have potential. This at least adds some spice to the late lottery pizza pie. He graduated early in attempt to reclassify, changed his mind, and went to prep school for a year. We'll find out if prep school counts as 'not high school.'

korrandark posted:

In the least surprising news of the day, Brandon Ingram is entering the draft.

Do you guys think he'll be the first pick? Everyone seems to have soured on Ben Simmons. I keep seeing negative comments about his effort and defense. But, those are the same sorts of comments that are often used as a smokescreen.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

attackmole posted:

I don't know anything about college bball. Dunno if it's gonna juggle around, but as of right now every simulation I'm running is giving Toronto the 9th pick. Who should I be getting unreasonably excited for and pining for who's gonna be around in that range?

This draft lacks many assured future stars and starters. There are a few players with potential who'll be around in the second half of the lottery.

Your best case scenario is for Jaylen Brown to fall to 9, he's a very bouncy and athletic wing who shot a terrible percentage this year, but his ft% is good. Timothy Luwawu is a long armed sf who made a lot of threes while being left wide open in the Adriatic league, I really like him. The biggest boom bust guy in the draft will be there, Skal Labissiere, who started the year at 2 in most mock drafts and looked like a man who barely knew how to play basketball. He's 7 feet tall and incredibly mobile, he'd be a long term project, a Cabocolo if you will.

Other than that there looks to be a handful of okay bigs, like Brice Johnson/Jakob Poeltl.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Aniki posted:

The coaching staff have done a good job developing the young players, but I'd prefer to move on from Mitchell. That being said, Taylor is loyal to a fault, so even with the potential of the Wolves HC position being highly sought after, I could see him giving Mitchell another year. It's not necessarily the worst move to stay the course and keep things consistent for the young players, but I think they could do a lot better.

So what is the deal with Ellenson? From Draft Express, it sounds like he is a Kevin Love type player. Stretch 4, who can rebound really well, and in addition he has some point forward ability, but just like Love, he's slow defensively and would need an athletic rim protector to cover for him. The Wolves have that now in Towns, but given Towns has good shooting range, I don't know if they necessarily need a stretch 4 to compliment him. The opposite of Ellenson would obviously be Simmons. Who is not a great shooter, but can score around the basket, and plays good defense and can rebound at a high level. Pretending they were equal caliber prospects, I'm not sure if it's better to pair Towns with a stretch 4 who struggles on defense or a true PF who gives them two potentially strong to elite defenders. Simmons will likely be off the board by the Wolves pick, but I'm really not sure what the best type of 4 to pair Towns with would be?

Ellenson made 29% of his threes, stretch four is only a projection for him. What people seem to like is that he's a good scorer and a great ball handler for his size. He's more like a pre injury David Lee than Kevin Love. Like David Lee, he's probably not quick enough to be a good defender at pf.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Tim Luwawu is not pulling out of the draft.

Timothy needs to bring his long arms and his sloth like release to Detroit, babaaaay. I've watched him the most out of all the guys in this draft and I really like him.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 11, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Thon looks like Kingseeker Frampt

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
My list of NBA DRAFT questions
1. What happened to that Bolomboy
2. Why can't Wade Baldwin make a layup?
3. What is Jaylen Brown's problem
4. Does Brandon Ingram really weigh 145 pounds?
5. Does Furkan Korkmaz know it's legal to attempt a dribble move without pivoting 90 degrees

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 9, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

my job is the same as cat barber's name...

he also just legitimately SHOOK GPII and has looked the best player out there. May rise to the first if he can maintain this performance.

He's very very very quick

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

No one thinks it's a good draft outside of 2 not 3. But that doesn't necessarily mean that people think it's all completely terrible players and that you can't find possible contributors, just that there arent a lot of sure things or potential stars beyond the top 2.

There are honestly a decent amount of intriguing guys from mid lottery onward, and then a few late first early second round guys. They all have big holes in their games, or they're raw, or they have arms as long as as oars and can't make a layup, but there seem to be some players.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Crazy Ted posted:

Huh? There's still plenty to talk about when it comes to who goes where, but it's just a lot harder to look at a prospective draft class and say "this group of draftees sucks" when some of them aren't even done growing yet.

He's talking about raising epistemological concerns in the draft thread, there's no satisfying response to 'I don't want to judge them, yet.' They're being judged. They will be judged.

This is how I see it all.

1. The main body of NBA success, we can say the trunk, is size and athleticism, can this be observed and measured? Yes
2. The second, we'll call it the arms, of NBA success is skill, can this be observed and measured? Yes observed, Measured only to some degree
3. The legs of success are desire, will, can they be measured? Only in little slices
4. The head of success is ability to work as part of a team, this is something observable but it cannot be measured
5. The brain of success is the ability to learn new skills/improve existing ones, this is in no way measurable, it can only be 'felt' or guessed at.

So we have 2 very important factors which can be observed and measured, and 3 which are ephemeral. Scouts will measure what can be measured and feel what can be felt.

As for calling drafts good/bad/whatever, it's a product of draft coverage. If a draft is supposed to hold multiple guaranteed all stars, it's called good, if the fates of the players are up in the air, or if there is potential but no promise, then it's not called a good draft. That's it. It's a way of managing fan expectations. Paul Millsap was a second round draft pick, and yet every year about 27 second round picks do nothing in the NBA. We're knowing what we know and we're not knowing what we do not know.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

what about the 6th, willingness to embrace the secret™?

The pineal gland

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hand Knit posted:

When Chad Ford puts together his mock drafts, does he usually have sources for which teams are likely to make which picks, or is he doing the whole guessing thing himself? I ask because it seems like he's had Marquese Chriss to the Raptors for months now.

He does have sources, but they're an aggregate. Other gm's think they're going to do x and x makes sense, so they hit Chriss in the mock. Other picks are purely informed guesswork. And if they're wrong, Chad will change them in a couple years.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

Hasheem Thabeet.
I didn't watch college basketball or pay attention to pre draft scouting back then, but this is what I've read post-mortem. Everyone regarded Thabeet as a pretty big, Anthony Bennett esque, reach. The Grizzlies' owner insisted on it as a win-now move. Hasheem Thabeet couldn't handle NBA caliber athletes in college and would have to learn how to score, because he wasn't a roll man in any way.

If I was a scout, the minimum threshold for a raw toolsy college basketball giant would be him not being pushed around by strong scrappy 6'8 types in college.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

That year was seen as a weak draft, or at least a sharp drop-off after Griffin and Rubio. Hasheem had a decent body of work in college, he got better every year, was producing well at things he was supposed to be good at, and went to a school that at the time had a good reputation for developing big men. Contrast this with Adams who used to play against his girlfriend because he didn't have anyone else to play basketball against in New Zealand or Drummond who was called lazy by his teammates and talked about how he wanted to be like Kevin Durant or Dirk or some weird comparison. This was before the pace and space craze took over the league and the championship went through that frontcourt of Odom/Gasol/Bynum, so the thinking was that a limited big man who could control the key was worth taking a shot on in a weak draft instead of one of the millions of crappy combo guards that were littering the lottery because everyone knows combo guards are the bane of the league.
Ah, that makes sense.

Drummond was special, tools wise. There isn't another man of his size who's as quick/bouncy/strong. He was immature in a literal sense, he was just a kid who really missed his family and was new to ball. But his tools were undeniable.
He also suffered from lovely guards who refused to pass, like Steven Adams, in fact.

Adams was very raw, but he looked like an NBA big.

Your theory is right. The toolsy big big is a safe bet. I reason this is because the current era has made their jobs simpler, they don't need to post up, they don't need to shoot from the elbows, they only to run to the rim, set screens, and be large on defense.

Offhand, the failure of toolsy bigs seems to be pretty strongly correlated with lack of strength, not only simple physical strength, something like ability to hold a spot on the court.
Bebe Nogueria is a crazy athlete but gets easily shoved around. Javale is mobile and can jump to the moon, but he's always been easy to move from his spot.

Thin bigs are the true gamble, they need to be rangy and have enough basketball iq and coordination to make up for their lack of stoutness.

Thin power forwards without jumpers are bada big risk, that's why Brice Johnson is being mocked at 20 or so, despite being very productive and looking awesome as the year went on.

Color commentators love to tell us how an undersized hustle power forward proves that size doesn't really matter, but those guys are almost always long armed, stout, and strong as heck.

I feel dirty after using so many cliches. I'll try harder to write with real words next time.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 16, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Sometimes I want the Blazers to buy a second round pick and take a flier on Thon Maker. Then I remember he stayed an extra year in high school to play ball against people smaller than him instead of play college ball. Man, he is going to be so bad.

Shabazz faked a year and he's turned into a pretty alright scorer. Thon has a lot of neck height, which takes 1.5 inch from him in my draft matrix.

A few days ago I asked, what happened to that Bolomboy, here's an answer

quote:

Joel Bolomboy

It seems like at least one freakish athlete makes a name for himself around this time every year, and this week, Bolomboy looked like that guy. The 6' 9" Weber State product turned in the combine’s top recorded lane agility time and ranked in the top 10 for shuttle drills and three-quarter court sprint. His standing vertical of 37.5" was tied for second-best, and his 40.5" max vert put him sixth. Test results always come with a grain of salt, but when they’re consistently high all around, one notices these things.

The combine was a significant win for Bolomboy: His ability around the rim (he had a couple of stunning dunks) and intriguing skill set stood out during both days of five-on-five. He averaged 17.1 points and 12.6 boards as a senior while shooting 36% from three for a strong mid-major program. He’s a bit of a tweener offensively at forward, but appears one of the more unique prospects available, especially in the mid-to-late portion of the draft. This looks like the type of guy that somebody is going to take.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 18, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

My biggest issue with the discourse around Simmons is that, sure, there are some flaws, but that's all anyone wants to talk about when he's the only forward in this draft who currently has elite NBA skills. He's coming into the draft as a 19 year old who is currently at the same stage of development as someone like Giannis. There's no one else in this draft that combines his level of athleticism and polish in the things he CAN do.

Giannis really is a much better comparison than Lebron, or Blake without a Jumper. Giannis without the fictional body, more strength, and more touch around the basket, and even better as a passer. He made passes that I see from no one but those three.

Brandon Ingram keeps getting Kevin Durant comps, and while they have their similarities, they miss how much slighter he is than Texas KD, and how he lacks the slitheriness and the incredible touch from everywhere. KD is smoooth and covers ground like a spider monster, Ingram does a lot more flailing. He did play really good defense at times. His length makes that easier against college guys, I suppose. His jumper and his weird body make him really really tempting as a prospect.

He had roughly half the chest depth as the lady who was interviewing him at the lottery. He's a very very slight man.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Blake Griffin has a really good jump shot and is way stronger

He's an incredible athlete too. Simmons isn't explosive like that.

I'm actually working on an article about this right now. I get why Dunn and Murray are ranked above Hield on most boards, and to some extent I agree from a talent evaluation standpoint. But I think Hield has a higher floor and ceiling than those players. Trying to conceptualize the idea of diminishing returns for 'more' at the draft level i.e. why being a good player across the board is not necessarily more valuable than being elite at a few things at the NBA level.

Hield played against elite competition and length to the degree of few lottery shooters before him and succeeded time and time again in his senior season. Ability to shoot at the NBA level should not be questioned for me and will look as stupid in hindsight as questioning Curry or Lillard's ability to do the same.

To take Murray and Dunn over Hield, I think you have to believe that their shooting will eventually rival Hield's. Not sure either of them will ever get there. Murray certainly has a better chance, but he's much better on spot-ups than he is off the dribble. Question becomes whether he'll be able to develop that at the NBA level. GMs are seduced by potential, but you'll get a better first four out of Hield than you will out of either of those players IMO.

It has to be age +size. Great shooting is very valuable, Devin Booker was only a shooter, and him being such a good shooter meant that he could expand his game to take what defenses give him. He doesn't need elite quickness or handle. There are some moments where I think, ahh well okay, this craftiness against college fellows won't translate, but the shooting seems real.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 18, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Shabazz played well in college though. He might have been a year older, but he played against a level of competition far higher than Canadian high school .

I should have expanded. Shabazz tore up high school and then was pretty good in college, once teams knew his real age his stock fell appropriately, he was picked at a fair position, and he's done alright. Thon Maker is a prospect because of his body and his decent jumper. In all odds he'd probably have an alright year in college, get 10 rebounds a game, and go in the early 2nd, just like he will now. If you remove his neck height he's below 7'. Thon Maker's HEIGHT must be viewed CRITICALLY

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Australian Basketball legend Brett Brown knows Ben Simmons really well, he's friends with his father, they're all very close. If Philadelphia doesn't choose him, it either means that Brown agrees that he's of a low scoundrelous character, or that the front office doesn't want to trade any of their lottery bigs. Neither seems very likely.

The Lakers will develop Ingram into his ideal self, a smooth scoring wing who can play great defense. I wonder if the Lakers are going to shoot for a top 3 pick again next year, or veer hard in the other direction because they think internal development will have them conveying a 5 or 6 to phoenix.

D'angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, Ingram, Julius Randle, Center to be Named Later is probably a 4-8th pick team. Philadelphia, Brooklyn if they don't add a bunch of guys, Random bad due to injuries team 1-2

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Coach15602825/ben-simmons-nba-ceiling
Nice David Thorpe article about Ben Simmons

euphronius posted:

Ownership pressure is on Philly. They are going for wins. With the Kings swap and the Lakers pick that's ok tho.

They have so far to go, even if they act like a real team and sign some okay vets to replace d-league players, they might still be the worst team.

I would like to see what all their bigs look like with competent guards and wings who can shoot. Who the knows, maybe Jahlil will be the generational post scorer if he's surrounded by shooters.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 20, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Adun posted:

It's kind of crazy that it's been more than two years since Joel Embiid has played in a basketball game.

Has there been anything comparable for a successful NBA player?

Maybe Bill Walton?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

lmao that dude Furkan kormaz on Saric's team shot 35% from 2 in euroleague

On less than 50 attempts though. I have no idea how scouts do their jobs, projecting gawky young euro guys seems impossible. I streamed a little euroleague in the afternoons and saw 2 of his games. When his man is tight on him at the perimeter, he starts his dribble moves by turning 45 or 90 degrees and dribbling laterally from the defender, somehow this works, and then he gets a layup. Most of his interior scoring is based on craftiness and length, he's a good ball handler once he's on the move, he can work up speed but seems to have a slow first few steps, I don't know how many spins and cradles he'll be able to use against NBA length and agility.

His three point shooting seems to be real, but always in european leagues teams seem to forget to cover good three point shooters, so it's hard to be overly impressed with his percentages.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've always wondered this myself. I know people laughed at Maciej Lampe dropping like a rock the year he was picked, but I've never seen anything quite like it, and it made me wonder, what did he do between initially becoming known among scouts to be considered a lottery level pick and then all of the sudden not even rate guaranteed money? It seems like a massive dropoff (even if it turned out to be correct).

Mind, I also thought Russell Westbrook was going to be a bust based on his mediocre college stats.

Lampe specifically was revealed to have no contract buyout on the day before the draft.

I think Declan answered this question for any other case, when I asked him, with camps being the most important thing, and then all star games.

European basketball has a professional but not always paid u-18 level that's like medium level high school basketball in talent, and guys can look good in u-18 and then terrible against adult pros the next year. A european prospect could play in workouts against NBA level athletes and suddenly look completely overmatched and overwhelmed.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ColdBlooded posted:

Serious question: As someone who doesn't really follow the NBA; can someone explain to me why Deyonta Davis is a lottery pick while Caleb Swanigan isn't even in most people's top 60s?

Also :lol: if Swanigan actually declares for the draft this year (assuming there isn't some sort of personal/financial issue)

Edit: Not saying they should be rated similarly but I don't really understand the large discrepancy.

Deyonta has ideal PF height and athleticism, he's really tall, long, and pretty quick, very bouncy. Offense is a lot easier for bigs like that, you have them run to the rim, throw them the ball, they make one dribble, and go for the basket.

Swanigan has the NCAA curse, he's basically a power forward with NBA small forward size. He can't shoot, and he's not an ideal athlete. His game is obviously more polished than Davis, but he doesn't project to be a special player. He'd have to become a much better shooter, develop better handles, passing, get physically stronger, really everything.

Davis really just needs to learn to be a roll man and learn what to do on defense, his body is his ticket. Cruel NBA reality. You're a freak but not you're enough of a super freak, go back to school.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 25, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

Is Mamadou N'Diaye the African equivalent of John Smith in the US? This is like the third Mamadou N'Diaye isn't it?

Yes. N'Diaye is an incredibly common last name in Senegal, especially on the coast, in Dakar and to the North and Saint Louis. And it's an Muslim country, so Muhammad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%27Diaye Here's a long list of N'Diaye's from a tiny country

iamsosmrt posted:

All of this weird ambiguity about the Sixers bigs is pretty much why they should absolutely try to drive Okafor's value up as much as possible and get a decent trade. Is Phoenix attached to their point guards Knight and Bledsoe? I'm not a huge fan of either, but I sorta remember a rumor about them trying to get rid of one, and I'm assuming Booker is basically untouchable right now. I wouldn't mind a trade of #4 and either of the two pgs for Okafor. That could easily lead to a team similar to Orlando last season with higher upside but also raw as hell.
Okafor isn't worth half a Bledsoe at this point. They really need to sign some guards and shooters to showcase him. Right now he's a scorer who doesn't score efficiently, doesn't rebound, and is hopeless on defense. His value is as low as it could be.

The 4 plus Knight is like 8x Okafor's current value. Right now he has to prove that he's a good NBA player and not a future 22 minutes of scoring on a bad team player.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Guys, you're treating Okafor like he's an promising young prospect instead of a question mark and possible bust

• Locked thread