Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Based off watching a dozen DraftExpress videos I'll be kind of bummed if Malik Beasley or Wade Baldwin don't drop to Charlotte at 22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Are we still at the part of the year where DraftExpress is overrating Euro prospects? Like 10 dudes in the first round seems high

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

What's Denver going to do? They still have a ton of guys under contract for next year and three first-rounders.

I'd love it if Charlotte could trade up to 15 and take Baldwin but that'd be a hard deal to puzzle out

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

He might be there for them. The more I watch of him the less I think. He'd have to be an incredible three point shooter to be a starter. His ceiling is probably backup pg who plays good defense, but he's never played good defense, he just has the body. Having those arms and not being able to make layups makes me think he's flawed as a person, maybe venal, or craven.

As long as he's a pretty good shooter and an average defender, he'd be what Charlotte wants. With Lin probably gone, they need a backup point that can play next to Kemba defensively, and the market is pretty bare on those.

Plus Charlotte hasn't had a pure craven player since Byron Mullens left

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone have feelings on Zizic vs. Zubac?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pro for Malik Beasley: his dad just liked one of my tweets

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd love it if Charlotte could trade up but I don't think Jeremy Lamb or Spencer Hawes are the missing pieces for anybody

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

Dejounte Murray might be the PG version of Kawhi. The Celtics need to trade at least one of their picks if they can't stash it, so that might be a grade partner for him, but he might already be gone.

Malachi Richardson is a possibility. He's canceled all his late lottery workouts which probably means he has a few promises in the mid draft.

Two freshman guys with terrible shot selection don't scream Spurs to me

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

Manu needs a replacement.

But seriously, my thinking was that they could throw Chip Engelland at them like they did Kawhi. Especially with Dejounte who is being characterized as a guy who would be a top 5 pick if he could shoot.

He's apparently going mid-round at this point, which I'm thrilled with. Would love Baldwin or Jackson to still be there at 22.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

"Egidijus Mockevicius, C, Sr., Evansville" has to be a made-up guy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

Deyonta Davis's lack of bounce hurts his pnr finishing potential a bit, but he still looks like he could be a real late lottery value

Kaiser Lindemann wrote a few articles about the last decade of drafting, and found that all the true star players from the draft fit the criteria of being two way players if they weren't pgs, and that outside the top of the lottery, sophmores-seniors had a better chance of being stars than freshmen. I want to agree with him, because it sounds good, and it sounds true.

He also makes the point that unskilled highly athletic guards and forwards who eventually develop into decent players tend tochange teams before they do. Also seems true. It seems like the spurs draft more defense playing solid and unspectacular upperclassmen than anyone else.

http://www.deepishthoughts.com/kaisers-draft-notes-iii/

I don't know where I'm going with this, but I think it's worth figuring into the draft matrix.

He seems to be basing his conclusions on the labels he throws on players years into their careers. It obviously makes sense to hunt down two-way players but the hard part about drafting is figuring out whose skills will translate.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

Lakers Ingram workout reportedly went well, but they usually do (Mudiay is the only one I can remember it being leaked that he played poorly).

--

ESPN posted a bit of the 538 projection (I guess they're calling it the ESPN projection model now) http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/119567/a-guide-for-espns-nba-draft-projection-model

We haven't had enough time really to see how good these are yet, despite ESPN's claim that it's effective, but it does project Simmons as probably the 4th best collegiate pick of the draft, with the highest bust potential of the guys they featured.

Hopefully they post more than the top 5 projections at some point.

Top 40 here

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Malik Beasley apparently taking meetings with the Magic. Seems a little high for him but I can also see them trading down, they've got a weird mishmash of players at this point and maybe don't need another project.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

I've always been under the impression that 6'4" with an average wingspan for that height has been the cutoff.

Yeah, I always thought of "ideal" size as 6'2, 6'6, 6'9, 6'10, 7'

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Speaking of: I think Malik Beasley will have more career WS than Jamal Murray. He's so loving good.

He's my No. 1 guy for Charlotte but we'll see if he lasts. Hopefully his hosed-up leg scares people away

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Kevin Pelton's projections are out, if you need more meaningless data. He likes Bender.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Prince seems like he could have Demarre Carrol's career

Edit: I just realized this is probably just the dreads and I'm a closet racist

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/744295777355210752

Wasn't this guy going in the 30s like a month ago

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Quandary posted:

I'm a huge Hield homer, bur fwiw saying he had a bunch of mediocre seasons isn't a great critique because he got significantly better each season. It wasn't like his freshman and senior years were good with mediocre middle seasons.

Also he calls himself Buddy Fresh so that's a pretty good reason to draft him alone.

Yeah, but the idea is that late bloomers are generally more developed than their peers and some of the advantages they had as an upperclassman will disappear when they get to the pros

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is there any reason people like Patrick McCaw other than his physical specs? I've seen a lot of people pushing him as a good sleeper pick but he looks like a true second-rounder from everything I've read and watched

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I guess it's time to turn Twitter notifications back on for Woj

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Here's that annual SI column of anonymous scouts making GBS threads on prospects from 20k feet

quote:

Wade Baldwin, 6'4" sophomore guard, Vanderbilt: "*Sighs.* He'll get picked because of his size and his length, but he just doesn't have that sense of vision to be a floor general. His numbers show he's a good shooter but he takes a little too much time to get his jumper off. One of the longest guards we've see in a while. The question is, can he lead? What he did at Vanderbilt suggests he can't. I think it's pretty well known there was a disconnect between him and that coaching staff. Who's to blame, I don't know. But you're talking about a freak athlete with size. It wouldn't stun me if he goes in the lottery."

quote:

Jaylen Brown, 6'7" freshman forward, California: "Biggest mystery in the draft. What does he do? He's an average ballhandler. He's a below average shooter. In AAU and college he played bully ball, but that doesn't translate to the NBA. Little bit of a funky personality. I don't know that anybody really knows what makes that kid tick. His basketball IQ is lacking. Special physical specimen and athlete. The trouble is when you make him go multiple directions. His last month and a half was awful. Makes me really nervous."

quote:

Marquese Chriss, 6'10" freshman forward, Washington: "I saw this coming at the Pac 12 tournament. You're talking about an above-the-rim athlete, prototypical of the NBA. He's a multidimensional guy. They don't make a lot of 6'10" kids with 40-inch verticals. He didn't always play hard, but he's just a baby. He reminds me of [former LSU forward] Tyrus Thomas. He disappears for long stretches. That's his personality. I don't think he knows he should be a star."

quote:

Brice Johnson, 6'11" senior forward, North Carolina: "Best rebounder in the draft. Quick off his feet. Best paint finisher in college this year, so I don't see how that guy fails. Didn't block as many shots as you'd think but they needed him to stay on the floor so he couldn't foul. Guys who rebound at that pace, they can do it at the next level. I don't think he always plays hard. I believe he's eventually going to be an NBA three-point shooter because he's got a good stroke. He's got rounded shoulders so he's not going to be able to score in the low post."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Someone tell me why Taurean Prince isn't a lock to be drafted in the lottery as a high-floor easy-to-project role player

There seems to be a lot of those in the second half of the first round

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

dokmo posted:

I haven't read this thread but I know Malachi Richardson is terrible. I just wanted to put this on the record so I look like smart in 3 years.

Clearly a smokescreen, you're just trying to throw GMs reading this thread off the scent

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A soupçon of Jemery Lamb

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/745816509260365824

Not a big shock but I was hoping it'd work out for Charlotte. Denzel Valentine it is, I guess

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

To be fair, no Eastern Conference team is doing jack poo poo until LeBron retires, so it doesn't matter.

I don't get why people keep saying stuff like this three days after the Cavs just beat the unstoppable Warriors

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty much the only guy I'm against Charlotte drafting is Malachi, so him getting mocked there in Chad Ford's latest was great to see

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/adammkaufman/status/746134138898489345

Lol

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

8 for 13, 28 and Bogdan. I guess the drop-off isn't that much but I'm sure Sac was hoping for Knight or Bledsoe

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Wowow, Serge Ibaka traded to the Magic

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Oladipo, Ilyasova, Sabonis for Ibaka

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Like that's a really good haul for Ibaka

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh for fucks sake

Sorry dude

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

All the dudes I actually liked ended up being taken before 22, so I'm pretty much OK with the Belinelli thing

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

morestuff posted:

Pretty much the only guy I'm against Charlotte drafting is Malachi, so him getting mocked there in Chad Ford's latest was great to see

Hey, this ended up happening sort of

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Raptors take Pascal Siakam, a real player I didn't just make up

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Skal to Kings. Value at this point but oof

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008