Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Jota posted:

Come to me Brandon Ingram and Jamal Murray

Get Simmons and have him be your PG and have Noel or Embiid learn how to spot up from 3. Run out four near-7 footers. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

PotatoJudge posted:

Ben Simmons going coast to coast through traffic and finishing with one of those new fangled "slamed dunks"

https://vine.co/v/izgMvahlhBA

He went for 21-20-7 in a 1 point loss to Marquette, who isn't a great team.

I've only really watched him for one game and my thoughts are his skills are great, but he doesn't really know what to do on offense if he doesn't have the ball; he just kind of stands around.

On defense, there is a lack of effort/awareness off-ball and he just gives up on trailing his man if they are able to get by him. He doesn't fill areas well and just kinda sits there unless his man does something.

Basically, young player things. I have seen some players never grow out of those bad habits, however, and that worries me.

Still an absolute stud of a prospect.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

The one thing that really stands out for me is his awareness of where everyone is on the court (including himself). Now, if he can use that for something other than just passing...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Tim Quarterman looks like a solid second round pick.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Rick posted:

This will be a nice six months before he ends up going to the Sixers or the Celtics.

He's just wearing Laker gear because it doubles as LSU colors.

(not really, but I like to think that)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

DOOP posted:

Realizing Bender is a PF/C instead of a SG is a lot less fun

I've never watched Simmons play, but is his passing as good as people say it is and could he play PG at all?

His passing lives up to the hype. His handles are more Lamar than LeBron.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CXw55KXWwAAtKYQ.mp4

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

PotatoJudge posted:

Questions about Big 10 prospects:

Any chance AJ Hammons moves up / becomes a useful player? Right now most mocks I've seen put him early - mid 2nd round. Is he too slow for pace and space, or does size still count? I'm worried he'd be a Roy Hibbert with a slightly better touch

Is Indiana going to lose Thomas Bryant and / or Troy Williams? They're on some mocks in late 1st / early 2nd but completely missing from others. Losing those two plus Yogi graduating would be sweet.

Has Melo Trimble totally sunk his chances of leaving this year with this long-rear end slump he's in? And why is Diamond Stone so high on boards? He's a shorter Hammons with less range.

Omer Asik was quick enough for pace and space in Houston. He was a very, very strong defensive rebounder and good outlet passer, though. Those are two attributes that really kick off the "pace" part of the equation.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Just a reminder that Luke Babbitt tested as more athletic than Al Farouq Aminu but displays none of that athleticism in games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Paul Zuvella posted:

Video game? That's the Power Rangers Theme, son.

It blows my mind to this day that a kids show had a metal theme song.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

NickRoweFillea posted:

I have talked myself into Baby Sabonis

He would fit in with the current, healthy MEM players.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

C. Everett Koop posted:

Davis, since his D was further along than his O when first picked?

That was his reputation, but his offense was better than his defense his rookie year. Though, I guess he wasn't a liability on defense since he was a good rebounder.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Crazy Ted posted:

It seems like people aren't quite sure what to make of Sabonis. The range on him between all of the mock drafts I've seen is as high as #7 (NBADraft.net has him at #5 but they don't count) and as low as #21 :psyduck:

Mid-to-late teens seems like the most sensible, imo. I don't believe he is projected as some huge talent with star potential.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

ButtWolf posted:

Is Dieng the 4 of the future for Minny? If not you gotta try Ellenson or luck out and maybe Bender.

He better not be. He's JAG.

e:

MourningView posted:

Late teens or early to mid 20s. If you take a center in the 5-7 range it'd probably be Poeltl

Some Pels bloggers are thinking that will be the pick for them if he's available.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Hand Knit posted:

How will the NBA determine draft order/lottery odds for the Denver, Milwaukee, Sacramento tie? Coin flip?

From Sam Vecenie: https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/720600743540076544

e: whoops, credited the wrong author

Kibner fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 14, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

WhyteRyce posted:

Steven Adams and Andre Drummond taught me that forget conventional wisdom just take a chance on the raw big guy who turns into a good player despite all the red flags

Hasheem Thabeet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

I loved the Dancing Bear. Sucks about his knees, though. :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Rick posted:

What is interesting to me is that Poeltl just stays projected 7-10 in every mock no matter who moves up or down around him. I've been a little critical of him but he still seems like a really safe pick.

Kinda hoping the Pels take him if they don't land a top 3 pick in the lottery.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Rick posted:

The people that teams interview at this time of year is always interesting. The Lakers have met with Thom Maker and some huge guy that went to UCSD.

Over the years, it seems like when a team interviews someone, it's because they have doubts they are trying to confirm. It feels like if a team really likes or really hates someone, they don't bother doing an interview.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

I'm still cautious on Hield's shot. He has improved his percentages during his time in college and his shooting has a better chance of translating than Oladipo's, but it still has me a bit wary.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

What does A40 mean? Assists per 40m?

My hope for Hield is Lillard, but I'm more confident in him replicating Jodie Meeks-level success.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Irving's numbers were crazy for an 18 year old.

He also only played like 11 games.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

iamsosmrt posted:

Is there an source to the Simmons forcing his way to LA rumor? I've read and heard people talking about it, but I haven't seen any sports journalists talking about it.

I think it is true that he would prefer to be a Laker. I don't believe anyone knows the extent to which he will go to do so.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

It's not exactly uncommon that a player doesn't workout for the team that drafts them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Assuming the available prospects are on the same level/tier, I believe the Pels current priorities are wing, big, then guard. Really, though, they can't afford to be picky. Just about any position will work.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Dejan Bimble posted:

The highest upside guy available will probably be Jaylen Brown. If the idea of an athletic aggressive wing with good handles who gets to the line at will and has a bad jumpshot sounds familiar, well, maybe he'll learn to shoot, and he's not a selfish player.

I don't have a strong enough opinion to rank Hield/Dunn/Murray. I haven't watched them enough to get that sort of feel, but that's the tier I think

I'm ok with selfish. I'm less ok with inability to play off-ball (for both offense and defense).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

I'm just tired of having basketball-dumb players with narrow skill-sets. It's painful to watch.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

I have no idea who the Pels are going to draft and don't know who I want them to draft.

Is there anyone projected around 6th that has a feel for the game (i.e. not a mewling lamb with blinders) with the physical potential to be a starter?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

Let me tell you about tyreke evans

haha

:suicide:

WhyteRyce posted:

Is Asik a 30+mpg starter for them? Or will they have a hole in the front court when Ryan Anderson leaves for a bazillion dollars

No, he's always been a 20-25 minute guy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

straight up brolic posted:

I haven't heard anything about this beyond rumors. It would make a ton of sense (I obviously hate him) but I don't know what they could even get for him. I guess I could see him working in New Orleans.

Monroe is a hopeful wish for people with a fetish with having native Louisianians on the team. He doesn't fit for any other reason.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

What type of big men would be the best compliment to Davis in your opinion

Someone who can defend the rim and bigs, rebound, and able to finish at an average level.

e: Oh, and set hard screens.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

Sounds like gentry needs to unleash perk

Perk can't defend the more agile bigs anymore and isn't a good enough finisher. Maybe if you could somehow combine all three of Asik, Ajinca, and Perkins you would get the ideal non-max big to put next to Davis.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Blame Jordan (and then Kobe) for messing up what people expect out of height and length for SGs. Only Wade has really bucked the trend to being an "undersized" superstar SG.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

EvanTH posted:

Wade's got a massive wingspan which makes up for any disadvantage in height. Is that why the quotes were there ?

Kinda. He's undersized in that many would describe him as so but he is a perfectly acceptable size. A bit short, but his wingspan helps make up for it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod, someone else reminded me of my ideal big next to Davis. It is Tyson Chandler. Not the now Chandler, but the one from when he was on the Hornets up through his time with the Knicks.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

That would be cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

I think he could be interesting on the Pels. It would be nice if they fell to him, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

I am so hoping Poeltl or Bender fall to six...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

straight up brolic posted:

poltl at 6 is early, he'll be there

Cool. My top 3 of players-who-are-likely-to-be-there-at-six are those two and Hield just a smidgen behind. It doesn't look like I need to worry about basketball-IQ (I wish I knew of a better, less demeaning term than this) continuous, poor decision making with any of them.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

WhyteRyce posted:

I like that fit offensively. Defensive not so much but Ryan sucks there anyway and Asik didn't do much anyway

I like him more than Monroe, at least.

e: I guess this means they won't be so dedicated to the fast pace Gentry wants? And I like Asik, though he was always injured this past season.

• Locked thread