Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Kings have no guards. It sounds like there are a bunch of guard prospects but they sound to be all either combo-guards or junior/senior late bloomers. Do I want Buddy Hield? Jamal Murray? Will we have a chance at Jaylen Brown? Who is guaranteed not to be Ben McLemore or Sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

Just a reminder that Luke Babbitt tested as more athletic than Al Farouq Aminu but displays none of that athleticism in games.

I think Kevin Love tested more athletic than Darrel Arthur

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DX said Jaylen Brown has limited bustability, so I'm 100% on that train now

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thomas Robinson and Nik Stauskas are doing just fine for us :colbert:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jonathan Givony is in apology mode for Jaylen Brown on Twitter right now

Is Denzel Valentine going to drop into the second :haw:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Even unranked garbage prospects get invited to team pre-draft workouts to act as fodder/warm bodies for some actual prospect that the team is interested in. Maybe he wants some free practice jerseys and Gatorade

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

The incredible thing about John Wallace's fall in the draft is that there were anonymous NBA execs who apparently red-flagged him because while he was at Syracuse he played the same position and wore the same number that Derrick Coleman had when he last played there 5-6 years earlier, and had also taken advice on being an NBA player from Coleman. This apparently meant he was 100% going to be a locker room cancer and OH MY GOD DO NOT DRAFT

NBA personnel guys can make NFL decision makers look downright level-headed when it comes to draft prospects sometimes.

95-99% of Sacramento was pissed that Sacramento passed on him to draft Peja Stojakovic. The remaining hold outs switched when we found out Peja wasn't coming over for 2 years

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

the downside is that you aren't the coolest motherfucker on a college campus getting laid constantly

Yeah but you could be in Reno getting sweet lounge lizard tail

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On top of playing at a high level all year, hasn't Buddy been also been consistently improving each season?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I have no problems with The Process and wish my team was at least bold and had a clear direction/plan in place. That being said, doing something like that puts a tremendous strain on anyone paying money to go to the games and it wouldn't be just be cry baby whining if some people didn't like it and had a problem with it.

Ty1990 posted:

It was meant to be a joke, for the record. Philly media poo poo on the front office for 6 months after that trade went down.

My favorite column on it was some reporter bitching about how he had to look his son in the face and tell him his favorite player, MCW, was traded so that Sam could collect another asset.

It's a bit over-dramatic, but many sports fans like forming connections to the team no matter how lovely they are. Players get traded all the time but being so nakedly blatant about it can rub some people the wrong way.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

An actual useful veteran would be hard to find. Ones with actual leadership skills probably want to chase rings and not sit on a bench talking to a bunch of D-League and 10 day contract guys.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In a weak draft (at least in terms of next tier), prospects with a strong skill that translates and is at a premium in the NBA are always a good bet. This is how I talked myself into Haseem Thabeet.

But yeah, I'd take him. Shooting is a good thing to have and guys like CJ McCollum got knocked for being 6th man combo guard ceiling prospect and Harden was knocked as not athletic.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 6, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kevin Love wasn't regarded as a good shooter coming into the league

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Yes he was. He was a good shooter at UCLA

Yeah sorry, I was thinking of his rookie year.

A lot of mocks still like his touch though. Even if he never manages to extend his range out to the 3, a good midrange shooter ala Bosh/Aldridge/David Lee still helps space the floor

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Givony is great at pulling together draft kit and highlight remixes that point out strengths and weaknesses. The second here starts editorializing or projecting he immediately turns to poo poo.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings have a very small chance of dropping out of the top 10.

After the lotto balls are drawn, the order of Sacramento, Milwaukee, and Denver is done by coin flip

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thon Maker cleared for the draft

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

AND THAT SPELLS DISASTER FOR YOU AT SACRIFICE

:love:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The 8-10 range the Kings likely end up in seems to be on the outside of the tier-2 guard prospects and right smack dab in the middle of the Skal\Henry\Chriss block of big men we don't need :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh god I hope the Kings draft Thon Maker so Jerry can give him one of his stupid, goofy stupid nicknames. Big shot taker and a BIG Thon Maker with the assist from Willie Blockenstein

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:cool:
https://twitter.com/thenouj/status/721056210003173377

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

Does that mean bulls get the 17 pick and Sixers get the 2019 pick?

It's top 10 protected next year as well and extinguishes after that... so they'll never get it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hand Row posted:

This is how I understand it. The lottery actually only draws the first three picks. The three tied teams split their balls evenly while the Kings may have a few extra due to leftovers from the split.

So really the bigger deal is that after those three picks are drawn the rest of the picks go in order and it has been decided the Kings will go first out of the leftover tied teams.

The balls are split evenly, so they get less chance where they are at #8 now than if they weren't in a 3 way tie. But at this point I don't even care about lotto chances. I'm just glad they are are in a position to most likely keep their pick but also grab one of the guards if one of the bigs rockets up the charts.

euphronius posted:

Ah ok.

So they have all their picks now save the two swap options and the unprotected 2019 to philly?

If the Kings finish in the bottom 10 again next season, then they keep their 2017 pick (and possibly swap with Philly). If this happens, the 2018 pick is top 10 protected to Philly. In 2019 it is unprotected. It was a really bad trade

So I guess if we are lucky we are bottom 10 again next season, hopefully get a nice prospect, then the season after we improve and give our pick to Philly before the 2019 time bomb. Being a Kings fan builds character

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What was the trade again?

Stauskas, Jason Thomson, Carl Landry, swap rights in 16 and 17, and a top 10 protected pick in 18 or unprotected in 19 for two second rounders who were described by Fran as warm bodies. This was needed for cap space to offer Wesley Matthews a max contract which he did not accept

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 16, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

euphronius posted:

Why is it so complicated.

You can't trade picks in back to back years so the outstanding pick owed to Chicago with protections makes it impossible to nail down a specific date with which to trade a another pick. Also Hinkie trying to grab as much value from Sacramento as possible and thinking of creative was to take the Kings pick in years that they can't trade it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 16, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Holy poo poo.......

<--

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Being a Kings fan is great.

We have to worry about the stupid Bulls pick (plus Omri) for JJ Hickson who we started for nine games (out of 35 he was on the roster) before the Kings cut him.

Sac-ra-men-to. Clap clap. clap-clap-clap.

Out of many bad offseasons, that year was the worst. Go into the summer with a optimism, lotto pick, and finally some cap space and end up with Jimmer, Salmons, Hickson, and Travis Outlaw.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nbadraft.net, always the bastion of hilariously terrible prospect comparisons and never updated profiles doesn't have the lottery odds order correct on their front page because I guess that Denver/Toronto pick scenario broke their brains

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Measurements going up
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2016-NBA-Draft-Combine-Measurements-Analysis-5478

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Let's hear it for Zhou Qi, standing a tall 7'1" weighing a sturdy 218lbs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

That's not especially uncommon at a young age. A lot of European big men were drafted at similar weights, and Chris Bosh wouldn't have been that far off. I think Ricky Sanchez was 7'0" and under 200 pounds in his draft years.

I don't understand how a swift breeze doesn't snap a person like this in half

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/730799720025735169

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Now do it with laptops.... That's a trick question because laptops are free

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

The blender question and the dumb math questions actually can be very useful and it has nothing to do with getting the right answer. For instance, with the bat and ball question, if the guy gets it wrong how does he react when you try to correct him? Does he get argumentative or stick to his story after being shown he is wrong? Is that how he'll react when trying to coach him out of taking long 2s?

"Look Rudy, this shot here is worth a standard amount of points but has a higher than normal difficultly. If you stepped back a foot, you'd have a 5% increase in difficulty but a 50% gain in points. The math says you are wrong."

"gently caress your math"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

44" :monocle:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN guys making GBS threads all over Skal right now.

Givony said he had one of the most impressive workouts he'd ever seen. Skal is going to climb the charts if he can keep that stroke up in workouts

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

If you don't want to call this a bad draft, instead maybe thinking of it as a draft where the talent doesn't necessarily fit the needs most of the lottery teams have will be easier to wrap a head around. Someone from the Kris Dunn/Buddy Hield/Jamal Murray pile (maybe all of them) are going to be a good NBA player, but most teams already have a 6'4" guy who's not really a PG.

The Kings have a glaring hole at SG and possibly a need at PG. While those 3 guys might not be future all-stars, a good NBA player in our backcourt would really help us out. If we get Hield or Murray, I think the org and fanbase would be thrilled. All we need to Skal to continue to rocket up the charts with his amazing new 3pt stroke

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Depending on who you ask it's not new, Cal just wouldn't let him use it. Which does seem plausible given how he used his other big guys.

That was the line with WCS, and while I'm happy with him I would describe that shot is as gold as he claimed

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Steven Adams and Andre Drummond taught me that forget conventional wisdom just take a chance on the raw big guy who turns into a good player despite all the red flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

I didn't watch college basketball or pay attention to pre draft scouting back then, but this is what I've read post-mortem. Everyone regarded Thabeet as a pretty big, Anthony Bennett esque, reach. The Grizzlies' owner insisted on it as a win-now move. Hasheem Thabeet couldn't handle NBA caliber athletes in college and would have to learn how to score, because he wasn't a roll man in any way.

If I was a scout, the minimum threshold for a raw toolsy college basketball giant would be him not being pushed around by strong scrappy 6'8 types in college.

That year was seen as a weak draft, or at least a sharp drop-off after Griffin and Rubio. Hasheem had a decent body of work in college, he got better every year, was producing well at things he was supposed to be good at, and went to a school that at the time had a good reputation for developing big men. Contrast this with Adams who used to play against his girlfriend because he didn't have anyone else to play basketball against in New Zealand or Drummond who was called lazy by his teammates and talked about how he wanted to be like Kevin Durant or Dirk or some weird comparison. This was before the pace and space craze took over the league and the championship went through that frontcourt of Odom/Gasol/Bynum, so the thinking was that a limited big man who could control the key was worth taking a shot on in a weak draft instead of one of the millions of crappy combo guards that were littering the lottery because everyone knows combo guards are the bane of the league.

• Locked thread