Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
make sure to toss DJ Hogg on the names pile, possibly along with 2nd rounders Melo Trimble, Alpha Kaba and Taurean Prince

Gary Payton's son Gary Payton II has a ton of steals in college so he'll probably get drafted.

Denzel Valentine put on a good show had himself a triple double and won the big game v. Kansas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Crazy Ted posted:

It's also nice to see a ridiculously good Freshman who's not at Duke or Kentucky.

oh boy are you ever not going to want to click this link http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"1st 2nd 3rd or 4th" Quarterman's NBA nickname will be dependent upon his clutch-ness

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
waste binning the team for that ben simmons gleam

clown-town failin' for #3 Brown, Jaylen

Has anyone else noticed "#SkalLabissiere" is an anagram for "Bile-rear end Lakers #1" (using roman numeral I) ?

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 27, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Now that the NBA is returning back to the 90s era of 100 hall of fame bigs, maybe we can also return to the era of end-of-the-bench human growth freaks, "let's sign this guy he's pretty tall"?

With that in mind, funny-name ogres Tacko Fall and Mamadou N'diaye played against each other, a combined height of 15 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3EyXckbOk

You may notice that neither is particularly good but they are both huge

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Kristaps is NeoSabonis. Domantas is simply Sabonis the Lesser

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Fun Fact Gary Payton II was born years after Gary Payton Jr. He's The Glove's second try at having a son he respects so he tried the name again.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Crazy Ted posted:

The ESPN college guys are trying so hard to turn Ben Simmons' lack of aggressiveness today into a major thing, and it was kind of funny to see Rece Davis throw it to the NBA guys so they could respond with "lol no he's the #1 pick shut up".

I had it on for a few seconds and Dick Vitale's reasoning was that Michael Jordan used to demand the ball and I'm just thinking that Ben Simmons might have been old enough to have memories when Jordan was playing for the Wizards

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
dejan and I are big fans of Cat Barber and any other player with a job title in place of a given name

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

See also:
https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/30490973544910850
https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/482344663115112448

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

The average person has around 60,000 thoughts per day. Which of these thoughts are turned to action is a byproduct of our tendencies when having internal dialogue on what to do. Collectively, we can surmise, 54% more of Barton's thoughts are given to passion, persistence, and a desire to prove himself.

That translates into over 32,000 more “personal pep talks” than the average NBA player, based on measurable data. Clearly a boon for staying prepared, this competitive mentality also carries over when on-court as well. If you estimate the average NBA game to last about two hours, that's 2,700 more self-affirmations in the face of adversity than the average player – enough to make Stuart Smalley proud.

^the worst thing i've ever read

just the sort of nay-saying do-nothing reaction i'd expect from a 55,000 thought-per-day man. I gave myself seven pep-talks while writing this post, my positive thoughts per minute rate (PTPMr) humming a good 14.3% faster than the average hoodlum and you could be like me with the slight addition of n-methyl-1-phenylpropan-2-amine to your diet. Psychology is and always has been an impartial, data-driven hard science which certainly doesn't have a long and gross history as an ethically questionable discipline with a ready-made capacity for abuse and social control as an arbitrarily self-declared authority deciding what constitutes the correct human reaction to environmental stressors and it's ignorant of you to question the validity of such well-intentioned numbers

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Jack Haley celebration?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
How does CUSE (WOOO GO ORANGE) recruit so many great college players who will never ever succeed at an NBA level

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
MCW could have been a star if he'd gone to a school that provides you with free bathrobes and gloves

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

There's three tiers of contracts and most players fall between 19k to 25k. The real benefit of playing in the d-league is that your housing gets paid for and you get a per diem for food, so you essentially are better off than most college graduates. You can also get those juicy ten day contracts from the NBA. Guys like McRae easily racked up 100k+ this year.

Overseas guys have it better or worse depending on where they play. Generally their housing gets paid for too but I remember reading this awful story about an overseas player getting caught in the Arab Summer uprising in Libya and nearly dying in his housing quarters.

the downside is that you aren't the coolest motherfucker on a college campus getting laid constantly

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hield is the annual Great Tournament Performance Causes Massive Overrating Of Older Prospect right

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

ButtWolf posted:

GPII in nba (for a minute at least, not familiar)

He was one of the NCAA leaders in steals which can be a good projection of NBA ability, unless you went to Syracuse. Kris Dunn is also up there with that, Ben Simmons trailing behind

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He's basically perfect for any team that needs some Thons made

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Crazy Ted posted:

There's five machines that produce five things in five minutes. Now consider a hundred machines. How long does it take them to produce 100 things?

NBA execs are very tricksy

I don't understand does it take the five machines collectively five minutes to produce five things so that each machine only makes one thing every five minutes or does each machine make five things every five minutes, and if they do make five things every five minutes are they producing at a constant rate or is it like at the end of five minutes five things pop out of one machine but before five minutes you have no things or does it accelerate or slow in thing production as the five minutes elapse? This question is worded poorly and I will not be joining your slipshod organization I'm joining Fenerbahçe Spor Kulübü'nün basketbol instead

edit: a thing was a machine

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 13, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I can't decide if Marquese sounds more like the title of a guillotined French noblewoman or an unremarked regional soft-ripened cheese

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Poetl is one of the more difficult prospects to evaluate in terms of Elite Name Tools. Promising but could be a huge bust

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
There's not really going to be a draft I hate this thread ! I hate it! what's the chance that every player busts

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was pumped for King Zing but I wanted Towns Knicks got robbed

The most uhh how-to-say, ?Distorted By History?-artifact from last year's draft was probably this once-hilarious meme turn't confusing and dark:
https://streamable.com/rf3i
peace be upon you

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Adun posted:

It's kind of crazy that it's been more than two years since Joel Embiid has played in a basketball game.

Has there been anything comparable for a successful NBA player?

There's only one comparison for Embiid and that's Michael Jordan breaking his leg in his second season

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Okafor isn't worth half a Bledsoe at this point. They really need to sign some guards and shooters to showcase him. Right now he's a scorer who doesn't score efficiently, doesn't rebound, and is hopeless on defense. His value is as low as it could be.

Considering his injury history it's possible that Bledsoe himself is only worth half a Bledsoe :[ He needs to stay in Arizona where cars never rust and bodies never grow old if he wants any chance of playing a full season

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The many caves of Croatia are littered with folded wyvern skeletons and you ask if he's real sheesh

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's true homerism, but I think that Kay Felder has just as good a shot at being an NBA player as Tyler Ulis.

He can score against a defense that's entirely focused on stopping him, he has floaters to get over 2 defenders in the paint. The question is, is the pop-a-matic trouble bounce he uses to get space for jumpers and to finish going to be enough to keep him away from defenders with NBA length/agility. That's the contrast between the two, Ulis gets space by using little man craftiness. Obviously Ulis is a true pg and a great passer, Felder is a scoring guard.

Felder should be awesome in summer league, either way.

That's almost exactly Shane Larkin tho. I think at this point I don't believe men who do not have magick-corrupted spider arms have a future in the NBA. It doesn't matter how high you can jump you need to play defense on the ground.

WHAT AM I DOING READING THIS THREAD NEW YORK A CITY WITH TWO BASKETBALL TEAMS HAS NO PICKS AHhhhhh gently caress you james dolan

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm just gonna go ahead and guarantee that none of those dudes are half as good as Isaiah Thomas, who himself is only a little more than half as good as Isaiah Thomas appears because he's a huge defensive liability.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'd draft Brown at three if he agreed to cut his hair

what if the rebound-spring from your hair onto your hand was an important part of your shot and the barber had to make it exactly the correct length or you lose the finals

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

Blame Jordan (and then Kobe) for messing up what people expect out of height and length for SGs. Only Wade has really bucked the trend to being an "undersized" superstar SG.

Wade's got a massive wingspan which makes up for any disadvantage in height. Is that why the quotes were there ?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think Rodman and Barkley shoulda proved the case for Standing Reach over Height but for some reason Wingspan only became a draft-day drinking game in the last few years?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm very excited for the many tweets the rookies will get to apologize for immediately after draft. Or is scrubbing social media dealt with in advance by now?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
who did the knicks get

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

morestuff posted:

Can someone tell me why Cat Barber sucks, the two games I saw him in he looked cool

easy hall of fame name tools. subtle but distinct

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

My beautiful ferret man did not get drafted :(

that dude had tiny hands and looked ready to len bias from naturally occurring heart defects

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

EvanTH posted:

who did the knicks get

Hah the answer is we signed Ron Baker
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/746197447827808256

MourningView posted:

Yeah okay but he makes threes and blocks shitloads of shots and it owns. Not even all at the rim, he regularly sends people's three point attempts right back into their grills and makes them feel like sad and stupid children. He and the flying ginger Aaron White are gonna own Europe

ahh that's true too I hope he generates some highlights wherever he lands. go freak ferret dude go

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
FABER
Brolux
NO

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Malik Pope, Malik Monk, but no Malik Bishop or Malik Cardinal argh

although Malik Boyd and Malik Staples both play for the Cardinals (Louisville and AZ) it's not the right sport

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

Chad Ford is bad

Actually, if you go back and look at his past mock drafts, he's surprisingly accurate :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also steve urkel is the nerd name but stefan urquelle is the cool name

• Locked thread