Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I want either "Veeck as in Wreck" or "You Gotta Have Wa".

Voted for Veeck as in Wreck, but I am pulling for either of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Given the mythologizing that an autobiography allows for, I'm surprised how frequently Veeck stays in line with history. At least, when it comes to things that could be easily verified (the Hornsby firing, Larry Doby, etc). I would have expected much more agrandisement, which may have ended up in the stories about his personal life.

If the book does fall down some, it is with those stories. I love to read nonfiction, but reading about someone's night life is just dull after awhile. I feel like I came for the baseball and got stuck with 100+ pages of drinking, travelling and Veeck's personal relationships. I understand that it is part of the man and the era, but those moments come off less as history and more as the old timer at the end of the bar trying to impress the kids with his "back in my day" stories.

All that being said, I liked the book and, ostensibly, Veeck.

• Locked thread