Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

You know what, yeah.

...on the one condition that I am allowed to kind of fudge the whole "work of fiction" thing and post poo poo from the rock musical I have been trying to force myself to start. You'll get songs! But I'm so crap at writing fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Is there still space for one more? I know someone who miiiight be interested

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Hold that last slot please newbie wants in.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Okay so I have a friend who used to post here a lot but he's lost access to his account. He registered a new account with the sole purpose of playing this, but for some reason he hasn't gotten a login yet (emailed support etc). If you're like wanting to start this right away I understand, hopefully he'll be able to get logged in today.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

... who is it?

The artist formerly known as BrickRedTruth. He hasn't been around in a while but if you have archives you could check out his MoonRise saga.

He still can't access his new account and has emailed support and stuff. I think they're busy with whatever is getting people those grimey lipstick titles.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

It's okay if you're needing to start, I feel bad having asked you to hold off starting. Not really sure what to do if support won't get back to him.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

This will run like what, eight weeks? Just so I know how to balance out posts seeing as my thing has limitations on beginning/middle/end so I don't end up with a script the size of the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

Hey LUTR is your friend still joining? I'll give the spot to jonjoe if he's given up on support getting back to him.

I've tried everything I can think of to try and get him logged in. I'm actually pretty pissed off, we emailed support, tried the forgot password route, it's been almost a week. Graargh.

Giving the slot to Jon Joe makes the most sense but it's a pretty stupid situation overall.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

uranus posted:

make a new account. sue lotax for the ten bux

Pretty sure that one won't work either.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

This + the reading & voting stage has made me extend to Friday.

Thanks, my schedule this week has been haywire from a combination of exams and birthday and trying to get to Detroit because I drunk bought Miley Cyrus tickets and while I have some written, I don't have the music ready.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

PART 1.0

Production notes:
The defining factor of One Night Only is its lack of a fourth wall, so to speak. The setting of the show is the date, time, and place in which the show is being staged. All action takes place the moment it happens, and audience interaction is encouraged. This will naturally make the flow of the play unpredictable; on a night where the audience gets into the show, there may be more or less interaction, or on a night where the audience seems to be especially enjoying the music, more breaks for solos and decoration can be easily added. The goal of this show is full audience immersion. Because of the unpredictable, immersive nature of One Night Only, casting decisions should be based on ability for both improvisational acting and music.

One Night Only should be staged in small rock clubs -- the dingier the better. Tech elements of the show should be handled as much like a typical rock concert as possible. A lovely PA system is a benefit, not a hazard. Any technical hiccups should be called out by the band. Anything that happens in the venue over the course of the show is fair game for onstage dialogue. Treat this script as loose guidelines; the show will shine when the band adapts it for their specific purposes and talents.

The music and script for One Night Only is written for flexibility. The only two characters who need to be able to sing leads are Alison and Damien -- while Smitty and Scrap do sing, it is not necessary that they are able to sing on pitch, merely necessary that they are able to sing loud. The instruments played by individual members of the band are never directly referenced, so the lineup can change from production to production (Alison could play piano, bass, guitar, or simply sing, depending on what the actress cast is able to do). Additionally, the songs should be played in whatever genre the cast is comfortable with. If there is a talented pianist in the cast, for example, the band can play the songs as piano rock. If the actors arenít able to play very proficiently, playing the songs as a punk band may be a good solution. Chord progressions, melodies, and instrumentation used in demos are a guideline.

The band in each production should choose their own band name (for the sake of flow, the band name used in this script is Paradigm Ship). If there is a need to add an additional cast member simply for their instrumental skills, their first name should be used for a character name, and other cast members should improvise references to why they joined the band and occasionally address them with a yes/no question, to which the additional member should only respond by nodding or shaking their head.

GET PSYCHED GUYS

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

By the way, I'm gonna occasionally ask for bits to throw into the demo tracks if anyone feels like lending their voice to this -- first one is about a minute or two of conversational speech beginning with the words "I had a dream last night..."

pm me for my email address if you want to help out

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I need to figure out a better system for recording because my new mic + lovely, abused pianos at school + acoustics of practice room made my demo of the first song come out incredibly hosed up and muddy. I will post relevant tracks that I already have recorded when they become relevant in the script (part of the point of this musical is to write something cohesive around some of the songs I've already got written -- the bulk of what I post here will be script, and I will make it clear when there's stuff that was written before this challenge.

What time is deadline? I wanna finish up the first bit and post.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

PRE-SHOW SPEECH (to be given by venue host, after opening band, if there was one)
Hello! Iím (name and job performed at venue). Thank you all for coming out tonight. This is going to be a terrific show. I want to take a moment to welcome you to the very last show from one of my absolute favorite bands. Are you guys ready for Paradigm Ship?? Yeah, me too. We are so lucky to have these guys here for their final show. If youíve never seen them before, youíre in for a treat, and if you have, you know whatís about to happen in here. You know the magic is coming. Welcome home. Theyíre about to take the stage, so Iíll get out of their way. Grab a drink, be good to each other. And give a big welcome to PARADIGM SHIP!

ALISON:
Itís been so long, I canít stand still
I will come back, you know I will
And everything, everything is fine
Everything, everything is beautiful inside of my mind
I will come back

Itís been so long, I canít keep straight
The songs you love, the ones I hate
And everyone, everyone is here
Everyone, everyone Iíve ever held so very dear
I will come back

And I tried to tell you itís something I could do
And I tried to say itís something that I could get through
And I tried, in my mind I will come back

Itís been so long, Iíve been away
Every hour of every day, every day, every day
And I miss you, I miss you all every single moment
I cannot let you go although Iíve tried
You always find a way to get me back inside of your mind

Yeah I tried, but you are my light
Yeah I tried, but you make me shine

I will come backÖ

(audience applauds, hopefully)

ALISON: Hey thanks, guys.
DAMIEN: We are so happy to be here tonight!
ALISON: For real. We love (CITY NAME).
(SMITTY is whispering to SCRAP)
DAMIEN: Whatís going on? Problem?
SMITTY: Not really...thereís no beer up here -- hey Heidi! If you can hear me, run a peeber up here, okay?
ALISON: Well, now that thatís settledÖ
DAMIEN: You guys probably know this is our final show. And weíre so stoked you could be here for it. We have a lot of cool stuff planned tonight.
ALISON: Weíve been on hiatus for what nowÖ
SCRAP: Three years.
ALISON: Three years. It doesnít feel like itís been that long.
SCRAP: I thought it felt longer.
ALISON: After we announced this tour, we got so many messages from fans showing just a ton of love, and they all had a lot of questionsÖ
DAMIEN: Clearly thereís a lot of fans who have followed us for ages and know a lot about us, not just as a band, but as people. Weíve crashed on your couches and bummed your cigarettes--
SMITTY: --and other things.
(a moment of awkward silence)
DAMIEN: and we got all these questions, what inspired this song, what did you guys do during your time off, whatís next for all of you. And weíre gonna do our best to answer as many of those questions as we can tonight. We owe you so much -- through our whole career, youíve always been there, when we were still touring in that broken-rear end van, back before we were ever played on the radio--
SCRAP: Wait, we got radio play?
ALISON: Kind of.
SMITTY: Damienís niece has a college radio show, sheís spun us a couple times.
SCRAP: Karen has a radio show? She played us?
DAMIEN: Yeah, I guess she put ďNever Say GoodbyeĒ on air a good bit.
ALISON: Can we not? That was back when--
SCRAP: Got it. That was really good of her. I didnít know that.
SMITTY: HOW ABOUT WE PLAY A SONG NOW. This oneís off our first album, ďLeapiní Lizards, Itís Paradigm Ship!Ē ONE TWO THREE FOUR --

DAMIEN:
I wanna hear you scream your heart out
I wanna know you feel something
You wanted to be Beauty
I couldnít be the Beast
I wanna hear you sigh at least

In the summer air the night is calling
I feel a million miles away
I wanna tell you how Iím feeling
But I canít find the words to say

That Iím lost without you
Relentlessly yours
Iím lost without you and Iím drowning, drowning
And Iím drowning, drowning

I wanna hear you scream your heart out
I wanna know I make you feel something
Inside on the carpet, outside on the ground, oh
I wanna hear you make a sound

And Iím lost without you
Relentlessly yours
And Iím drowning, drowning

Iím lying next to you and
I donít know what Iím doing
But you said Iím the only one
I taste your sugar sweetness
You are my only weakness
The rain is kneeling to the sun

I hear you breathing in your pillow
All alone in your crowded room
I almost told you that I loved you
I guess you fell asleep too soon

And Iím lost without you
Relentlessly yours

(applauseÖ?)

DAMIEN: Thanks.
SMITTY: In the interest of full disclosure, I would like to inform all present that I loving despise that song.
ALISON: This is not the first time youíve informed all present of your loving...despisal of that song.
SMITTY: Look, most people do not have to repeatedly listen to some dude sing about boning your sister. I mean, I guess anyone whose sister dates rock stars does. But most of those guys donít have to play (instrument Smitty plays) for the dude who is singing about boning your sister.
DAMIEN and ALISON: WE KNOW.
SMITTY: Itís uncomfortable, is all Iím saying.
ALISON: If I remember correctly, youíre the one who was originally like (imitates Smitty) ďwhoa, your new boyfriend plays (instrument DAMIEN PLAYS)??? We should ask him to be in the band!Ē
SMITTY: You remember incorrectly. We didnít have a band back then.
(whoever is playing drums begins a slow, driving beat)
DAMIEN: That song isnít even about sex.
SMITTY: How the gently caress is that song not about sex?
DAMIEN: Itís about connection...wanting to know that the other person feels the way you want them to feel.
SMITTY: Youíd know all about that, Iím sure.
(drums become heavier, but not faster)
ALISON: You guys all know this next one -- weíre gonna split the room right down the middle, you guys on this side are gonna sing with me like ooooooo (solfege do re mi do ti do) and you, on the other side, youíre gonna be with Damien -- ooooooo (la ti do mi do), letís try that a couple times.
(Leads audience in singing, is broken off by HEIDI entering with a beer)
HEIDI: Oh hey, sorry. Smits wanted a beer. I didnít think youíd stop.
ALISON: Oh yeah, thatís fine. Hey everyone, this is Heidi, our merch girl. Say hi to Heidi, everyone.
AUDIENCE: (led by band) HI, HEIDI!
ALISON: Sheís got t-shirts, posters, CDs, stickers, hoodies, you name it -- stop by the back and grab something, weíll be signing afterwards.
HEIDI: Oh, uh, actually weíre out of hoodies.
ALISON: Everything but hoodies can be yours tonight. Go see Heidi. Ask her about her dog.
HEIDI: Iíll get out of your way now.
ALISON: Say bye to Heidi, everyone.
AUDIENCE: (led by band) BYE, HEIDI!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I have decided not to do script formatting because it's going to be a bear if I do it in bbcode. I trust y'all can figure out the difference between stage directions and lines.

Also, if at any point during a production of this show, an audience member shouts FREEBIRD, the band must drop whatever they're doing and immediately play Freebird, unless it's a dramatic moment, in which case whichever band member was interrupted by FREEBIRD should offer to fight the person who shouted it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Lol ecco I love how you wrote the longest critique of your own story

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

well sometimes the stories with the most potential are the ones that deserve the most criticism! I think ecco has a lot of great ideas but the execution is weak in places and I hope to see improvement for chapter 2.

Yawn

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

uranus posted:

hey so whats everyone reading? i just finished hyperion and am now reading (listening to) the new york trilogy by paul auster, who i'd never heard of until now, but sometimes i just buy books randomly without knowing anything about them or the author on a single recommendation from a friend. its v strange, and i like strange.

tell me what you're reading! ! !

Everything and More: a Compact History of Infinity by dfw
Reamde by Neal Stephenson but I've tried that one twice and I just get bogged down in the endless ACTION and end up reading other things
I started The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell this morning on the bus and I'm really enjoying that.

I have heard really good stuff about Hyperion, you will have to tell me how you like it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I feel that finals pain, spent most of this afternoon doing aural comprehension training with a piece of software I've nicknamed "MacDammit" -- if you've ever used it before, you know which one I'm talking about. It was especially hard because I spent this morning trying to learn yet another Warren Zevon song by ear, so I was trying to notate intervals and kept hearing SOMEONE CALLED PIANO FIGHTER I'M A HOLY ROLLER I'M A REAL LOWRIDER ring through my head on repeat.

Working on the thing now, but BLORP.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

ALISON: Say ooooooooÖ(leads singing again, leading into--)

ALISON:
I know my heart and how it changes constantly
I give up, surrender to it completely
Iíll fall in love forever with a look from you
And take my distance at the time you tell me to

DAMIEN:
Donít need a promise that youíre here for good
For the moment, just let me be understood
Please donít run away, I wanna see your face
Goodbye is not the problem, and it has its place

ALISON & DAMIEN:
So love me in this instant, you wonít ever have to stay
Tell me when itís over and Iíll let you walk away
I wonít cry and beg for you when you decide itís done
Thereís beauty in the pain and I know Iím not the only one
ALISON:
And thereís one thing that I have never understood --
DAMIEN:
Why something has got to last forever to be good
ALISON & DAMIEN:
Cuz nothing lasts forever, and nothing ever should
So go ahead, take my heart, love me for today
Lead me on

ALISON:
Iím not the type who wants to own you selfishly
DAMIEN:
I wanna know your soul so please just promise me
ALISON & DAMIEN
You wonít hold back
ALISON:
And most would want to keep your heart in chains
But Iím the type of girl who wants the world to know your name

ALISON & DAMIEN:
ALISON:
DAMIEN:
ALISON & DAMIEN:
Lead me on

ALISON:
There are so many others who deserve to see your smile
I only want the memories, so stay here for a while
And when youíve found someone else youíd like to know
Youíll plant the seed of goodbye and Iíll stand to watch it grow

ALISON & DAMIEN:
ALISON:
DAMIEN:
ALISON & DAMIEN:
Lead me on
DAMIEN: (to Alison) That was the first song we wrote together.
ALISON: Good olí days and all that. I always liked singing it.
SCRAP: I always liked it too.
ALISON: Okay okay. (to audience) Thereís this really lovely story, something that happened just before Damien and I started dating...weíd only been hanging out for like a month and I went on this crazy trip with my best friend from high school. We flew out to Seattle for six weeks and it was like, the first time Iíd ever been on my own before. Like super sheltered childhood and stuff, I didnít do poo poo while I was in high school. So we were in Seattle staying in this tiny house full of weird hippies and basically living on tuna salad and saltines so we could spend our money on band merch, and we got up to all sorts of embarrassing shenanigans...like I remember one day we went to the mall and stole a bunch of makeup and t-shirts, just useless poo poo, just because we felt like it. We smoked a lot, Iíd just started smoking, we sat out on the back porch and she taught me to blow smoke rings, watching them kind of hang themselves on these foggy wet tree branches. So one night we went to this party and everyone was getting stoned, and Iíd never gotten stoned before, so I was like ďwhat the hell, why not?Ē but I didnít know how much it would take to get me stoned, so I took a bunch of hits really fast and ate a lot of guacamole and chips and then all of a sudden I could hear music from the kitchen and it sounded like it was in 3-D...you know how music sounds when youíre baked? And I freaked out. So my friend shoved me into a bedroom with a cell phone and told me to call someone and just talk for a while, and I didnít know who to call, so I called Damien.
DAMIEN: Yeah, and it was 3 AM.
ALISON: You were awake.
DAMIEN: It was Christmas eve, I was playing Risk with my family.
ALISON: And youíd just lost.
DAMIEN: Yeah...that wasnít actually true. Iíd been winning.
ALISON: Youíre making this story way less sweet right now.
DAMIEN: Go ahead, tell it your way.
ALISON: So, Damien was awake and not busy because heís a lovely Risk player. And he just like, stood out in his driveway--
DAMIEN: In the snow--
ALISON: --for three hours while I sobered up. He was really nice about the whole thing even though I was just like stoned blubbering at him for most of it and talking about how good guacamole tastes when youíre high.
DAMIEN: To be fair, guacamole is the best thing.
ALISON: I know, right? Anyway, after the trip was over, he drove like four hours to pick me and my friend up from the airport. (distantly) All that for someone he wasnít really even close with yet.
SMITTY: Is there a point to this, because itís been going on for a really long time.
ALISON: (jarred back to the present) I...guess not. Iíve just always liked that story. Maybe you had to be there.
SMITTY: You guys were the only ones there for it, though.
DAMIEN: Maybe you have to actually have had a relationship to get it.
ALISON: Smittyís been in relationships. Heís just not like, ooey-gooey sentimental like we are.
DAMIEN: Speak for yourself.
SCRAP: Aw Dames, youíre a total softie. I mean come on, youíre a poet.
DAMIEN: A poem is a house built with bricks made of blood and broken glass.
SMITTY: Oh my GOD.
ALISON: Speaking of broken glass, this song is called Barefoot Highway!

ALISON:
Never felt so right before
Every time I open that door
Never had a chance to breathe my mind
Say we got a history
Locked inside my memory
Itís our future that Iím trying to find

Iím so lonesome, canít find what I can keep
Itís not so gentle, it wonít let me sleep

And I gotta tell you, tell you, I know that we canít touch
So I gotta show you, show you thatís not asking much
But youíre so distant, distant, I just gotta say
Iíd walk through broken glass
If you said itíd help me pass you on this highway
On this highway

Being gone ainít good enough
I can smile and act like Iím tough
You said yes, you love me and I broke
Say we got telepathy
Locked inside our memories
Thatís our future going up in smoke

Iím so lonesome, canít bring myself to try
Itís not so gentle, you canít see me cry

On this highway

Not giving up, darlin
You know what I need
Not giving up, darlin
Never had a chance to breathe

On this highway

SCRAP: I think thatís the song thatís the closest weíve had to a hit.
SMITTY: And what a perfect song for it, too. Emblematic, really.
ALISON: What?
SMITTY: Oh, you know. Girl is sad because boy left and sheíll do just aaaaanything to get him back, even though--
ALISON: Smitty.
SMITTY: I mean really, all our best songs are classic cycle of abuse bullshit, right?
SCRAP: What are you talking about?
SMITTY: Heidi, can I get a nice strong rum and coke up here?
DAMIEN: I knew this was a bad idea.
SMITTY: I told you I didnít want to. I told you I wasnít gonna be nice about poo poo.
DAMIEN: Smits, I donít think Iíve ever seen you be nice.
SMITTY: Iím really nice, Iím so loving nice, you have no idea how nice I can be.
DAMIEN: Yeah okay, I take that back. Youíre really nice as long as youíre hosed up.
ALISON: Damien, shut up.
SMITTY: No, letís hear it.
DAMIEN: You really have no idea how bad it tore Alison up, do you?
ALISON: Damien. Shut. Up. Now.
SMITTY: I can take it.
DAMIEN: To be honest, though, I liked you better that way. Less caustic.
SMITTY: Poetry is blood and broken glass, huh? So tough.
ALISON: gently caress both of you. You want to go balls out with the truth, right here, right now? You wanna air our dirty laundry on this stage? Fine. Iíll start.

(NOTE: "Lead Me On" is a really really really really REALLY old song, like March 2009 or something. I am reworking it for the purposes of this musical and I'm hoping I figure out my poo poo mic issues because that is a horrific recording from when I was first learning how to record multiple tracks and before I figured out I'm not a soprano. Enjoy my embarrassment!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Popcon is now last man standing

• Locked thread