Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Welcome to Popularity Contest: Creative Writing Edition!

Five years ago, a man's fantasy became a reality in a forum never seen before: Creative Stadium, a giant writing arena. The motivation for spending his fortune to create Creative Stadium was to encounter new original stories which could be called true artistic creations. To realize his dream, he secretly started choosing the top writers of various styles of writing, and he named his men the Iron Authors: the invincible men of literary skills. Creative Stadium is the arena where Iron Authors await the challenges of master authors from around the world. Both the Iron Author and challenger have one week to tackle the next chapter of their story. Using all their senses, skill, creativity, they are to prepare artistic tales never tasted before. And if ever a challenger wins the title of Iron Author, he or she will gain the people's ovation and fame forever. Every battle, reputations are on the line in Creative Stadium, where master authors pit their artistic creations against each other. What inspiration do today's challengers bring? And how will their competition fight back? The heat will be on!

POPCON: CWE is a game for 11 players. Each week every contestant is encouraged to post a new chapter, segment, or arc of their short story. The length, content and general parameters of your fiction are completely up to you, as you will be judged completely by your peer contestants. Using votefinder and it's voting system, the group will be forced to vote out one player per week until the pool is left down to a remaining two, where the two final contestants will complete their stories and the winner of Iron Author will be bestowed by the jury, consisting of all 9 voted out players!

Rules
  • You may post things other than your fiction, but voting should be generally consistent with critiques of the writing probably!!
  • Anthology writing is not allowed, your story will be considered one consistent narrative. Anything can be done inside this framework.
  • I reserve the right as mod to be choosy with who actually participates, depending on many factors. I want people who can commit to their stories!
  • Every day will have a writing portion followed by a voting portion. No votes will count until all entries are entered!
  • You may post your weekly writing in multiple posts, just make sure to demarcate them well so other players read it all!!
  • If you have been voted out, you are not allowed to post any further segments of your story until after the competition is finished! This goes for anywhere, not just this thread!
  • No out of thread communication with other contestants is allowed.
  • Do not be petulant. Try to keep criticism constructive. It's all in good fun, so don't make things personal or hostile in this thread.
  • Please don't sign up if you think you might quit! It's a very personal game that won't play well with replacements. idk what will happen if someone has to quit out.
  • Spectators may post, but try to keep it contentless and with that popcorn munching smilie. i.e. survivor
  • popularity is fleeting, and we are all vanquished by its specter

Contestants
  1. Chic Trombone
  2. EccoRaven
  3. GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE
  4. Hal Incandenza
  5. jon joe
  6. Little Mac
  7. Look Under The Rock
  8. Meinberg
  9. Quidnose
  10. Tremendous Taste
  11. uranus

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

This has nothing to do with previous popcons! It was originally going to be a game of mafia but I was helped in the DJ chat into workshopping it into a chaotic popcon. I don't have anyone's blessing or whatever, I just wanted to do a creative writing game.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

uranus posted:

you did it! woo! i'm very excite.

is there a word count max or min per week

Nope! The only fear you should have is getting voted out by the group!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Little Mac posted:

Wait Won't people just vote out the strongest writers so they can win?

There's nothing stopping them

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Yeah I mean my biggest hope is that even people wanting to be dicks aren't going to vote someone out if they like the story.

I suppose I should make it a rule that posting any future chapters of your story anywhere during the competition after you've been voted out is prohibited!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Maybe I will pick up my NaNoWriMo album again from two years ago. Am I allowed to submit reworked chapters to this

Are iron chefs allowed to bring leftovers to Kitchen Stadium??

Though it's more of an honor system, while I don't like the idea of it I also couldn't possibly stop you, so I won't make it a rule.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Quidnose posted:

Is BK JonJoe nobody is answering me!~!~

I am not JonJoe. Nor am I Winvirus.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'll only sign up if we're allowed to render the fiction part pointless by forming alliances instead

No

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM and Hal are in. 2 more!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I didn't sign up

Is this going to be yet another game of mine where you post on the first page but don't play? What is this, like, 4 in a row now!?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

Is there still space for one more? I know someone who miiiight be interested

Yup! Exactly one more.

Ernie. posted:

meinberg will demolish you all

not a sign-up

d'awww I want to see what you'd write ern

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I will wait for them to post. I work though so idk when it will start exactly.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm not sure what to write, thread.

1) YA hunger-games knockoff

2) Mrs. Dalloway but with kaiju

3) fanfiction for something I've never seen

2 and 3 sound fantastic!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Okay: The game starts now! If the last guy does join soon, that's great, if he ends up not playing at all, that's fine too. I'll be the last one on the jury in that case, as a tiebreaker or something, if we need that at the end of the game.

Day 1 starts now! I will set the deadline for next wednesday evening.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm just going to talk about television in the meantime before you guys start posting your writing.

I really like Brooklyn Nine-Nine and that's basically all I've been watching. I hope to catch up to the current season soon.

I encourage you all to share anecdotes about your lives.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Meinberg posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is probably the best comedy show on the air today.

The best drama, at least in my opinion, is the Leftovers. It had a very shaky first season, but the second season has been so good. So loving good.

I watched 4 episodes of that show (last season) and for every time I said "holy poo poo that rocks" there were 20 times I cringed and got annoyed. Maybe the second season is better but I don't really give passes to tv dramas, since there's so many good ones. If I lose interest I move on.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Meinberg posted:

The second season is way a whole lot better, though. Imagine the Leftovers, except without those cringey moments.

Is the quality of S2 roughly equivalent to the quality of S1E03? Because that episode is amazing.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Ernie. posted:

Silicon valley and Kimmy Schmidt

He said on the air, not through a tube!!!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

jon joe posted:

Does this still have a spot? I like writing and I like popcons, I'll probably just focus on the writing aspect of this one though.

Hey LUTR is your friend still joining? I'll give the spot to jonjoe if he's given up on support getting back to him.

Look Under The Rock posted:

This will run like what, eight weeks? Just so I know how to balance out posts seeing as my thing has limitations on beginning/middle/end so I don't end up with a script the size of the Epic of Gilgamesh.

With a full roster I believe it will be 10 weeks, with the tenth week being the final two.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Why isn't the lost password function working? D:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm gonna give the spot to jonjoe now since I'm working the next 5 days and don't know how much I'll be on.

Voting works like normal mafia, except it's deadline plurality. Nobody is eliminated until deadline, even if a majority is reached, that doesn't matter, you can still unvote. Post your stories whenever, I'll be off work and around at deadline next week!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

I have not yet started writing. I wish this had started sooner when the Motivation Angel was on my shoulder instead of the Procrastination and Self-Loathing Devil.

This reminds me, I will narrate (in any style) an mp3 reading of anyone's story if they wish! I may also just do this for random excerpts if I feel like it. I bought a new mic, I'm gonna use it dammit.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Little Mac posted:

Let's all post one chapter and then promise not to vote at all. Then we're all eliminated with a handful of unfinished masterpieces that will leave BottleKnight frustrated forever.

Community warned me about this! That the unpopular would try to band together and end the idyllic glory of those blessed with social graces!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Long John Silver's

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

do you all want an extension? *pushes up glasses*

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I have the next two days off. That's when I had always planned to do it. I won't lie; fallout 4 and recent developments regarding ESEA and I are taking up more of my time than I expected them to but I've been thinking on and off about what I'll be writing since I signed up so I'll be good to go. If other people want to extend, though, I'm not opposed. I'm of the view that your writings shouldn't be rushed and the beginning sets the tone for the rest so it would probably be kind to extend it for those who aren't ready.

This + the reading & voting stage has made me extend to Friday.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

jon joe posted:

I think the submission deadline and the reading + voting deadline should be separate.

I'll allow it. Submissions by friday night, voting out Monday night?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I am not going to post any reactions/criticisms to stories itt and have had to stop myself multiple times lol. It would not be in good taste to do so for the sanctity of the game!

If I really need to say something I'll PM you, but I'm probably too lazy for that.

edit: IT WOULD ALL BE COMPLIMENTS, I SWEAR! I just don't want to interfere with the game at all.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Reinborg

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

It's tonight, there's no point in posting an actual time. I'm not going to disqualify anyone. Just tonight!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Diqnol is modkilled. 9 remaining.

jon joe posted:

Mr. modman what's the over/under on private communication to ask other players things related to writing, but not voting?

Totes fine. But yeah don't do it with the voting stuff.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Little Mac posted:

I wish we could just all vote Diqnol instead of modkilling him then we could all get a second chapter in!

I am not particularly pleased with my first chapter, but it was rushed. Admittedly, the conceit of my story doesn't really begin until chapter two. Mostly it's introducing a character's motivation and the main mystery.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll allow it.

Diqnol is auto-voted out, but will still be on the endgame jury. Continue with critiques and comments and such and I will set a deadline for chapter 2!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Alright guys! Post your chapter 2's by next Monday. Really like what I'm reading so far! In fact, here's my rubric:

actually participating in the game with effort +5
being ecco -5
trying to grade the mod, another -5
forgiving ecco anyways +10

You all score a perfect 5/5 in my heart!!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Monday!!!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Chic Trombone posted:

It's thanksgiving weekend tho

So have it ready by Mondayyyyy

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tomorrow, just tomorrow.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I decided to put some rolls in my mouth.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

You all get an extension to Thursday.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Yeahhhhh I'm gonna cancel the game. Don't feel bad, it's just that the Thanksgiving weekend killed all the motivation and I don't have as much time to be around and post more and encourage you guys.

Fun concept! Just not the right time I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

jon joe posted:

Come thunderdome.

All of you who like writing, come thunderdome.

Reinborg Meinberg does it sometimes.

I may!!

• Locked thread