Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

gently caress it I'm in. I've been meaning to try to write more AND jonesing for another forum reality game. WHY NOT BOTH AT ONCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

ERNIE i am sure your writing is great and worth sharing. Believe in yourself my friend !!!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm still trying to plan my story out, I think I'm going with a murder mystery but that could change!!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

bleh, was hoping to have time to write this weekend but it was both long and terrible so i haven't gotten a word done. oh well, i should definitely have some time tomorrow

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Prologue:

Monday, September 21st
7:43 AM

Anna swears if she survives this semester she is never taking an 8 am class again. Getting up this early was so not her speed - 9 was pretty much the earliest she could do and still get a full night’s sleep. Still, it wasn’t like she had much of a choice. Professor Stenson was the best teacher for Information Assurance and Cryptography, and 8 was the only time he was teaching this fall. So. She’d just have to suck it up and deal for a couple more months.

She sighs to herself. Only choice or not, it still sucked, especially as the weather started getting colder. Brisk winds blow back her brown hair, and she shivers into her hoodie. She’d have to remember to buy hand warmers next time she goes to the grocery.

First things first though - a quick trip to the bathroom and then class. Heading into the Computer Sciences building, Anna hurriedly climbs to the fourth floor and marches the long hall, finding the girl’s restroom. She opens the door, before stopping dead in her tracks.

It’s the smell she notices first - rusty and a little sickly-sweet, like when her mother had forgotten some steaks left out on the counter years ago. Then it’s the stains, dark red fading into brown arched on the ceiling, the walls, puddled on the floor. Reddish-blonde hair, pale skin - too pale. Anna can’t move, can’t think, but then it clicks.

“....Maggie?”

The world blurs to black.

Posted by @NewsEKU 8:22 AM:

“Margaret “Maggie” Harvey found dead in EKU’s Wallace Hall, will update as we know more”

Chapter 1

Chic Trombone fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 21, 2015

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Seriously if anyone has any reactions or criticisms about anything i post here at any time please PM or skype me about it or something, I love all kinds of feedback

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

God damnit I thought I checked for that this time

e: seriously tenseswitching is my biggest weakness I do it every time I write and I hate it

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

derp what I liked most about your piece was how personal it felt. I thought you did a super good job of conveying the emotion of what was going on

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Orzart's kind of a weird name but I don't think it's that hard to pronounce tbh

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Also I'm trying to also have Chapter 1 done by tonight but idk if that's happening

gonna try hard though!!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

most of chapter 1 is finished but it is hot and boring garbage so

I'm sure it's just fine, ecco. Post ya story!!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Prologue
Chapter 1:

Thursday, August 27th
3:17 PM

“C’mon, Anna! Pick up the pace, girl!” crows Maggie, as she laps Anna for the second time. Anna takes a deep breath, pushing herself forward - only to barely speed up at all. gently caress, but does she hate running. She’s so not built for this. Not like Maggie, who had been Captain of the track and field team back in high school. Sure, Anna was a boxer, but running? Hell no. Her steps begin to falter, annnnnd there goes the last of her energy, too. Great. Maggie’s gonna laugh about her not even getting more than a mile in before quitting, she just knows it.

Slowing to a halt, Anna bends over and clutches her knees, gasping for air. “Mags…. I know you wanna do this 5k with me and all but…..*gasp* I’m not so sure I can do this,” she says, falling to her side and rolling on her back. Anna lets out an exaggerated groan, making Maggie chuckle a bit, running back to where Anna’s collapsed.

Offering a hand to help her friend up, Maggie says “Hey, it’s cool man. This is just training day one, the 5k isn’t for another two months. You can so make it by then!” Aw, hell. As much as Anna’s screaming leg muscles really wanted her to hate Maggie right now, the girl was just too nice for her to even summon up a smidge of resentment. She takes the hand, hauling herself to her feet and brushing off what grass stuck to her shorts.

“Tell you what, Anna, if you stick it out for another half mile I’ll buy you one of those gross almond milk lattes you like.” Maggie shoots her a smirk.

“Make it a latte and a cake pop.”

“Deal. Let’s go!” They take off running.

They’d been friends as long as either of them could remember- their mothers had put them in the same daycare center at around age three. Maggie had been shy as a kid, and as such was quickly singled out as a target for bullying by two of the older boys in the center. Anna, the more boisterous of the two girls, had seen this happening and gone up and punched the taller of the two boys in the face, and of course was instantly sent to time-out with a scolding for her troubles. Maggie thought her decking the kid was the coolest thing ever, though, and they’d been friends ever since. High school, love troubles, college applications, they’d done it all together, even making sure they both went to the same college and roomed together on campus. Everyone knew that Anna Watkins and Margaret Harvey were joined at the hip.

Monday, September 21st
9:01 AM

“Nnngh, what..?” Anna starts to sit up, head pounding and vision blurry. She feels heavy all over, like she’d been sleeping for a long time. She hopes with all her heart that it means that seeing Maggie like…. like that was only a dream.

“She’s coming around!” People come into view around her, helping her sit up. Taking stock of her surroundings, it looks like she’s in one of the patient rooms in the health services center. She catches sight of two cops, and a cold, sinking feeling curls in her gut. Guess that means it wasn’t a dream, then, she thinks. A nurse hands her a cup of water and leaves the room.

The cops barely wait for her to drink some before approaching her. “My name is Detective Hills, and this is my partner Detective Milligan. Miss, I understand you’ve received a shock, but we need you to tell us everything you remember about what you saw.”

Anna looks up, “What I saw?”

“No detail is too small.”

She begins to shake. No. No this can’t be real, she can’t do this. “What I *saw* was my best friend lying in a pool of her own blood with her, her guts everywhere and I don’t understand why she was even there. She’s not even CompSci! She’s a bio major! There’s no, no reason..,” Breath comes too quick, the room is spinning and she can’t slow down, can’t stop rambling, her best friend is lying dead in the bathroom and nothing makes sense.

“Ma’am, I understand this is hard but we need you to calm down and tell us what you saw. Your statement is important and I don’t think you understand-” Detective Hills’ stern, heavy voice is cut off by his partner touching his elbow.

“Jeff. Let’s let this young lady have a minute, here. She can give us her statement down at the station later, huh?” Detective Milligan shoots a small, consoling smile at her. It does nothing to make her feel better. Hills sighs, apparently disgusted with having to wait.

“Fine, fine. Here,” he hands Anna a card with small, official-looking script, “Contact us at this number as soon as you can. We need your statement as soon as possible, do you understand?” Anna manages a nod, hugging herself and rubbing her shaking arms. Apparently satisfied, Hills marches out of the room, on to do whatever it was cops did when they weren’t harassing shaken up twenty-somethings. gently caress, she can’t stop shaking.

After an awkward pause, Detective Milligan speaks up. “Look, I’m sorry about him. He’s just a bit-”

“Of an rear end in a top hat, yeah, I got it,” Anna bites. Normally she’d give the man the benefit of the doubt but with the day she’s having she’s feeling less than charitable. Milligan sighs.

“Well, be that as it may we do need your statement. Please call us as soon as you feel able. I’ll go tell the nurses we’re done here.” And with that, Anna’s left alone and shivering in the small room.

She’s never felt so alone in her life.

((Ch. 2 to come))

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

:toot: got it done

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm not gonna use a rating system, I'm just playing by ear but everything I've read so far has been good imo

Still got a couple stories left to read tho

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

It's thanksgiving weekend tho

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

oh good. thank you bottleknight

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm gonna be honest and admit I haven't written a thing yet, it's the week before finals for me and I've been alternating between ignoring every responsibility ever and studying like the worlds gonna end

I'll try to have something by tonight but idk if it's gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Yeah, this could've worked but it was just the wrong time of year for it I think, between the holidays and finals and whatnot.

Still, thanks for running it BottleKnight!

• Locked thread