Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

He got injured and then the league went on break, so he hasn't played in about three weeks now.

There was an interview with (an admittedly biased) Marc Crawford who said that before he was hurt he was the unquestioned best player in the league. He's going to be one hell of an NHLer.

In unrelated news, for the first time that I can recall the highest ranked Canadian for the 2016 draft is pegged at 8th (depending on what nationality you view Jakob Chychrun as having I guess). No matter how you shake it this is going to be one hell of a draft for American players, it's great to see.

http://www.tsn.ca/forwards-dominate-top-of-2016-nhl-prospect-race-1.391662

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Someone who watches London games: who are Marner's linemates?

I don't watch the games, but I read reports every so often and from what I understand they most often load up a line of Christian Dvorak and Matthew Tkachuk with him. They combined for 16 points against the Storm the other night.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fits posted:

matthews returned from his injury today and already has a goal

Make that 2 after 2 periods. Kid is good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fits posted:

condors had their teddy bear toss last night https://youtu.be/3Xzut1ltOGE?t=1m

still the best minor league event

I wish the NHL would stop being dorks, tell the TV networks to eat it and implement this on one night a year league wide.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

I guess Kyle Connor was pissed team USA doesn't think he's good enough for the world juniors, he just had a 4 point, 3 goal night to give him 20 points in 14 games on the season. He's 10th in NCAA scoring as a 18 year old freshman.

Boeser is better. All hail Brock Boeser.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hockles posted:

That trade looks like me trying to fill up the Trade Value meter in the NHL games.

It's almost exactly that. Kyle Dubas figured out that draft picks really aren't that useful in junior hockey and with the quick turnover it doesn't matter a whole lot if you trade a bunch for a one year run and then reacquire more in the future. He traded about 8 or 9 picks for Jack Campbell. Lots of teams now throw a half dozen picks or so into trades to balance them out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah but they can recover in a couple of years, whereas in the NHL a team that did that would be pretty much dead.

Yeah exactly, a CHL roster cycles entirely every 4 years as players age out. A lot of NHL teams keep their core guys for a decade or more. With a salary cap, draft picks are very valuable in the NHL because they provide cost controlled players that can fill roster spots behind the largely immutable established players. In the CHL they're just a way of restocking the roster and at worst a team has to wait 2 or 3 years to potentially go somewhere.

CHL draft picks also have a much higher chance of making the league than NHL picks too simply because teams always have roster holes to fill. This isn't the NHL where maybe 1 in 7 late round picks plays a single game in the NHL, a good portion of drafted players will lace up for their junior team. Couple that with the import draft which lets teams take on more established players (often times players already drafted into the NHL and therefore of an above average CHL standard), it's not all that hard to rebuild. Every team has a sucky season or two, but the time between basement and Memorial Cup Contender is fairly short.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I went to the Fronts-Steelheads game yesterday, which was good and fun and Kingston lost despite outshooting Mississauga 39-24.

The Steelheads have three potential first round picks (none of whom are Sean Day) and they all play on a line together — Alex Nylander, Mike McLeod, and Nathan Bastien. Nylander looked amazing, the best player for either team, and ended with two assists and an ENG. McLeod showed amazing skating at one or two points, but not much otherwise.

Also there was a scout there and I think he might have been looking at Lawson Crouse specifically.

How did Nate Bastien look? He's kinda the forgotten third wheel on that line but he's not garnering all that much attention despite NHL SIZE. Late first round seems to be the consensus for him, was he primarily a passenger or was he actually alright?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Thatcher Demko? Everyone seems to think he's cool. 20 now though.

Yeah Thatcher Demko is probably the best non-pro goaltending prospect at the moment. MacKenzie Blackwood, Ilya Samsonov, Mason McDonald, and Alex Nedeljkovic are all up there too. Still, it's such a difficult position to project that you can't really make any sweeping claims at this time. AHL pedigree is far more predictive of NHL success than junior/college numbers.

Of that list all but Demko are under-20. Samsonov is 97 born, the rest are 96 and will turn 20 at some point this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The gf got me tickets to the Kitchener Rangers/Flint Firebirds game tonight. I was planning on focusing on Adam Mascherin and Jeremy Bracco. Anyone else I should keep an eye on? I don't think there are any top prospects on either team this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Could the Fronts make it out of the first round for the first time in like 25 years?

We all know the answer to this

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I want Erie to win so the world sees how cool Alex DeBrincat is

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I don't know what emotion I'm supposed to be feeling right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NykqVnQylw

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

goldrush posted:

I just saw the Kelowna Rockets came back and beat the Victoria Royals in overtime Game 7 after tying the game 2-2 with 0.2 seconds left.

Hell of a series though, and what a game, goddamn. Really thought Victoria was going to slay the Kelowna dragon this year. 0.2 loving seconds away from doing it... still can't believe it.

I watched the highlights this morning. I feel bad for you, but man both the tying goal and OT winner were impossibly weak. A limp wrister from above the circles that he just missed with his glove and a spin around shot that went fivehole somehow. That's pretty much all on Vollrath.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

It lists NHL and AHL salaries for a lot of them. I was shocked to find out Conor Sheary was only making 70k in the AHL...and he's on Crosby's wing now. :stare:

Two-way contracts are a requirement of ELCs. Players make an NHL salary and a much lower minor league salary (generally about 10% of their NHL one). Every player in the NHL that spent time in the minors was paid that little at one point.

A player getting called up to the NHL for two weeks can make a half season's pay in the AHL. The Canucks have actually seemingly initiated a policy of calling guys up from the minors for a bit to train with the big club and collect a serious payday even though they don't expect to play them. It's generous, but also very weird.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Exceptional status doesn't really mean all that much anymore. Sean Day was granted exceptional status in exchange for him declaring for Canada over the USA and Joey Veleno was given it so he wouldn't go the college route (he was headed for Shattuck St. Mary's). Hockey Canada just uses as a recruitment tool for high profile prospects that are wavering. Replace the world "exceptional" with "financial considerations" status and you have a better idea of what it's about.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Giants are moving to Langley for some reason

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

First question's gotta be "what kind of weirdo has Mike McLeod third?"

To be fair, the kid is gonna Boyd Gordon his way to an 800 game NHL career.

I think I've been swayed into wanting PL Dubois for the Canucks, mostly because he's a centre. I think Tkachuk has a somewhat higher offensive potential but I don't want this team to try and build around a bunch of wingers while hoping one of Horvat or McCann somehow explodes into a 70 point forward.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think I read a stat that only 4 OHL players have scored 50 goals in their draft season since the 05/06 season: Kane, Tavares, Skinner and DeBrincat. I've never understood why he's been ranked as a late first round player. He's not playing with McDavid this year (Strome is good but Tkachuk has better linemates by far), he's not a soft, one dimensional player and he's not incredibly slow or something. It's like people see 5'7", ignore everything else about him and write him off as far fetched. If he was 3" taller he'd be a slam dunk top 10 pick. I can understand size being a point against him, but to push him to a marginal first rounder because of it seems insane to me. I'd wager the guy scores 25 in the NHL no problem.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Honestly, I wouldn't say that's a knock against him. He plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder which is nice to see. Corey Perry, Evander Kane, Brad Marchand, Milan Lucic, etc. all take bad penalties and every team in the league would be improved with them on the roster.

He's not some perimeter sniper either. There was a good article about shot locations in the OHL that came out the other week, and a full 35% of DeBrincat's 269 shots came from a high danger area. That's far and away the best of any first time eligible player this year. Hell, the article estimated that he would've been a 17 goal scorer in the NHL this year and that's a decent season from a 25 year old middle-sixer at the NHL level, let alone an 18 year old draft eligible forward.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/using-analytics-show-ohl-snipers-best-shot-becoming-nhl-goal-scorers/

Someone is going to be very happy with him

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

DeBrinecat isn't just small, he's tiny. He's very good at what he does, but he's going to have a lot of trouble doing it at a higher level than junior.

He's maybe an inch shorter and ten pounds heavier than Johnny Gaudreau who plays a far less physical/perimeter style but just ended the season as the 6th leading scorer in the league. I'm not saying DeBrincat is at that level, but you'd be surprised at how much he bullrushes the net and finishes out front. Stylistically he reminds me of Joe Pavelski, another smaller guy who's got by on being opportunistic and a bit reckless.

Is DeBrincat a sure thing? No of course not, I recognize why people are wary of him. Do I think he's a worth while gamble in the top 10? Probably. There isn't a more well rounded goalscorer in the draft. Even Laine with his super shot doesn't have the knack to score in as many ways as DeBrincat seems to be able to.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In uh... what? News:

https://twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/753944717436579841

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQd8HXIzZ8

Carl Grundstrom hard at work prepping to be a Maple Leaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why did that guy think that a game worn sweater auction entitled him to a sweater from the championship game? I assume any game worn jerseys are from a mid-January regular season game unless specifically stated otherwise. The bidding closed before the Memorial Cup even began. How on earth did he think he was bidding on something that hadn't even been worn yet?

I get that this guy is just swinging for the fences here, but man this seems like such a frivolous lawsuit.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 24, 2016

• Locked thread