Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

my search led me to the same place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'll basically never get tired of people suggesting that the thing that would really make WWE get huge, is if they buried one of the few guys on the roster that still gets huge pops

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Alain Post posted:

i'll basically never get tired of people suggesting that the thing that would really make WWE get huge, is if they buried one of the few guys on the roster that still gets huge pops

worked for dean and cesaro and owens

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alain Post posted:

ya I was going to say, Seth is, by far, the more annoying "pushed down your throat" guy this year

Hmm well that's one to Cena's 9.

Cena also does not usually have a very good match when he is given control of a match's pacing, and he's wrestled quite a few stinkers that should have at least been OK.

I would have much preferred a world where Brock stayed past 2004 and we had him pushed down our throats instead, since he has always been way better.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I should say from following basketball. :)

Oh, I wasn't laughing at what you think I was, apparently.. I was laughing because Dr. Foochs is obviously on the case. I don't make jokes about legit physical disabilities.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Oh, I wasn't laughing at what you think I was, apparently.. I was laughing because Dr. Foochs is obviously on the case. I don't make jokes about legit physical disabilities.

Well I suppose I should've said I follow sports pretty religiously and the only knee injury I can think of that happened to any pro athletes that took longer than a year to recover from is Shaun Livingston.

There's enough colloquial evidence to support the statement that a year at worst is a pretty safe statement for a pro athlete with ligament damage.

Is that better?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

yes, but how does that evidence translate to a superstar or a sports entertainer

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Follow the Buzzards please

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

yes, but how does that evidence translate to a superstar or a sports entertainer

If anything probably a little less because as I said the thing about ligament damage is that it particularly impacts lateral movement and cutting. Now it's probably worse for Seth than say, Kane or a generic hoss because he uses a lot more explosive movements, but still, the biggest worry with other athletes is that they'll "lose a step" which means significantly less in wrestling than in "legit" sports.

Didn't Neville tear an ACL once upon a time?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

oatgan posted:

remember this really uncomfortable promo afterwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxlS15DmJEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO965EFGhxs

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

oatgan posted:

did you guys see john cena squat 611 pounds? Dang.

Yes

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggington posted:

worked for dean and cesaro and owens

Those guys were never broadly popular.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
By the way just to check myself on my own poo poo, Livingston basically Sidded himself. Not only did his ligaments get hosed, his leg snapped AND his kneecap dislocated. :stonk:

THAT's why his took longer than a year.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It isn't exactly difficult to build up a reputation as an improved in-ring worker when over the past year your worksheet is "Go out there every week and have a great 20-minute match with these excellent wrestling guys, almost no gently caress finishes, and hey, go just shy of all out."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nobody thought John Cena was a great wrestler before the US title?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Revenant Threshold posted:

It isn't exactly difficult to build up a reputation as an improved in-ring worker when over the past year your worksheet is "Go out there every week and have a great 20-minute match with these excellent wrestling guys, almost no gently caress finishes, and hey, go just shy of all out."

The only reason we even think he's good is cuz of all the good matches.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
John Cena is good but I'm not sure where the alternatives are 'current John Cena who somehow only loses a feud to loving ADR lol' and 'Cena is a jobber'

I just wish he'd actually lost his feud to Kevin Owens and didn't make Seth Rollins look like a losing chump piece of poo poo 50 times. That's a far cry from burying him forever.

also rip Rollins put the belt on Corporate Kane since The Demon Kane had his soul sucked out

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ch3cooh posted:

A good comparison for Seth Rollins knee injury is Derrick Rose.

Fantastic

If wrestling were a legit athletic competition that might be cause for concern. Comparing sports injuries to wrestling injuries only goes so far.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't understand people who think wrestling tournaments are awesome. In the US tournaments almost always suck.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

What it could be is usually more exciting than what it is

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grozz Nuy posted:

If wrestling were a legit athletic competition that might be cause for concern. Comparing sports injuries to wrestling injuries only goes so far.

This is what I'm saying. Of course, it COULD impact Seth's high flying, but I think that's a reach.

Also for every Derrick Rose there's just as many guys who have returned with no adverse effects long term.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 6, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

I don't understand people who think wrestling tournaments are awesome. In the US tournaments almost always suck.

I can say in my own case that one of the first big wrestling events I really remember fully watching was Wrestlemania IV, and I totally bought into the title tournament format. It doesn't hold up today, but as a kid I was really into the concept and loved the ending with Macho beating Dibiase.

So every time a wrestling tournament comes up, it gives me happy memories v:shobon:v

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

bwong \o/ Ahhhhhhhhh bwong \o/ Ahhhhhhhhhh

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Someone braver than I summarize that poo poo because I'm not gonna watch it, thanks.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

Someone braver than I summarize that poo poo because I'm not gonna watch it, thanks.

From what I saw it's not up yet.

Actually yes it is, listening now.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 6, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Has anyone referred Vince to the flyers guy yet

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Jack Swagger showed up to Raw for the first time in a long time. Jack Swagger will be the next WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Damian Rollinsdow takes the crown as the Authority's new golden boy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The first thing Russo suggests is to do the tournament on RAW to pop a rating. loving :lol:. Peak Russo.

They think they WILL put the title on Reigns, but SHOULD put it on Bray with how much they've been building the Family, basically.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 6, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Damian Rollinsdow takes the crown as the Authority's new golden boy.

More entertaining than what will actually happen.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

proposed mania main events were brock vs rock on top, hhh as babyface vs rollins for wwe title, dean vs roman.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

minoru suzuki posted:

proposed mania main events were brock vs rock on top, hhh as babyface vs rollins for wwe title, dean vs roman.

loving LMAO. Don't wanna say we dodged a bullet but we dodged a bullet. So HHH will have won the goddamn Rumble? :psyboom:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

minoru suzuki posted:

There's so much hidden beauty in this that we missed out on

Would HHH have won the Rumble? And as a face?
Would HHH have won a world title? In 2016? As a face?
Would people have still said things would be better with him running the company, swearing Vince was the one who booked all this and HHH just shrugged and said alrightie?
Would Seth have somehow retained, in the process essentially breaking Punk's record? And would people have still swore they weren't petty?
Would anybody have actually cheered HHH or would it have been another case where he looked for sympathy while fans chanted you tapped out?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

:laffo:

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Alain Post posted:

nobody thought John Cena was a great wrestler before the US title?

He's always been able to put on a solid match, but they mostly felt like the same thing every time with the 5 moves of doom. I think right around the start of his US title reign is when he upped his game and pulled out new tricks like the stunner and that weird upside down thing, and it only got better from there. For a lot of those matches too, you finally felt like there was a chance that almost every opponent had a legit shot at winning the title too, due to the long history of lolcenawins. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum with the US title now because he did a great job to help elevate its status.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

sonicice posted:

He's always been able to put on a solid match, but they mostly felt like the same thing every time with the 5 moves of doom. I think right around the start of his US title reign is when he upped his game and pulled out new tricks like the stunner and that weird upside down thing, and it only got better from there. For a lot of those matches too, you finally felt like there was a chance that almost every opponent had a legit shot at winning the title too, due to the long history of lolcenawins. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum with the US title now because he did a great job to help elevate its status.

Did you actually see any of his matches with Punk

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

loving LMAO. Don't wanna say we dodged a bullet but we dodged a bullet. So HHH will have won the goddamn Rumble? :psyboom:

This would have been great because it would have backfired horribly and would have made for some hilarious months with HHH trying to be a babyface again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chris James 2 posted:

Would anybody have actually cheered HHH or would it have been another case where he looked for sympathy while fans chanted you tapped out?

If this ended with another Sad Hulk walk back to the locker room again, I'd be OK with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Bird Thing
Mar 12, 2001

Pardon me, do you have a moment to speak about our Lord & Savior, Devil Bird Thing?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

They think they WILL put the title on Reigns, but SHOULD put it on Bray with how much they've been building the Family, basically.

Oh poo poo. I had the same thought as Russo.

God. loving. Dammit.

• Locked thread