Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I know I know, so don't even ask.

I've challenged my friend who went vegan a year ago to a cook off. He plans on making something along the lines of this ( https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedOz/videos/1718242471740775/ ).

My problem is.... well... it's a loving vegan cookoff. I don't know how to cook vegan. I put butter or lard in everything.

I figured red beans and rice might be a decent enough dish to make because I've made a fuckton of it before, though never with the vegan bullshit requirement.

halp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Rajma is pretty easy to make with no animal products whatsoever. It's also delicious. You might have to find some spices, though, if you don't normally cook North Indian. You can leave out the cream and use cashew cream instead.

That's all I've got, sorry.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

"shread"? no credibility.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ranter posted:

"shread"? no credibility.

I read about the jackfruit thing here about 1-2 years ago. Never tried it as jackfruit isn't that common around here and never went searching for it.

How to make vegan beans? Spices (cumin, allspice, chilli etc), herbs (thyme, rosemary, bay leaf), vinegar, sugar, msg or maggi seasoning sauce.
Look in Dinos Indian thread, the vegan thread, the cajun/creole thread, the pot beans thread, and the I'm poor how to cook good food thread.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 6, 2015

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I eat meat, but I've recently perfected a vegan chili that is unbelievably good. Be ready for a lot of work. Its based off this Serious Eats chili, combined with some other tricks:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chile-recipe.html

I've changed the chickpea process though.

The "meat" is basically like a loose Mexican falafel. First I use a 1/2 lb of dry chickpeas soaked overnight in water, some garlic powder, a few glugs of soy sauce, and a tablespoon of liquid smoke. Rinse & drain, pulse in a food processor with a few tablespoons of Masa Harina until it is the coarse consistency of lose ground meat. I fry this with a good amount of fat in 2 batches until it is golden brown, set aside.

Continue with the recipe from the link, but with these changes:

-Roast/skin/seed/dice a couple mild peppers like Poblano or Anaheim and add to the onions
-Add a tablespoon or 2 of tomato paste when sauteing the onions
-Add 1/2 oz dried shiitake (pulverized in a spice grinder) when adding beans/tomatoes
-Add 1 bottle of Negra Modello and 1 cup strongly brewed coffee/espresso toward the end of cooking
-I dump a bunch of MSG in it because gently caress it why not
-I don't bother with marmite

A handful of crushed tortilla chips/fritos, some avocado, diced onion and you're good to go.

Or just save yourself the time and order a pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
deep fried vegetables are vegan so long as you don't use animal fat op

• Locked thread