Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Back in the 80s-90s I used to go to baseball cards shows with my dad and I have a bunch of cards for that era that I would like to sell. Looking around online it appears that they are pretty much worthless.

Back in the 50s-60s my dad collected baseball cards and when my grandfather passed away in the 90s he got a few boxes of his old cards. Looking around online some of the cards he has sell for several thousand dollars depending on grade. He also has old schedules and large format exhibtor cards etc..

The cards are all mixed up in several boxes and nothing is graded. What is the best way to sell them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Doing more research online that seems like the way to go. There will be a autograph show in Chicago in a few weekends that will have a couple grading companys there what company should I use to get the cards graded? After I get some graded it is my best bet trying to sell them on ebay or trying to take the whole collection like an auction house and selling as a package?

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 6, 2015

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Just going through loose cards he has a bunch of mantle cards and other big names and there are full card boxes of different years like a box of 62 topps a box of 63 topps etc. I didn't even look through those but even if they were all commons I'm assuming they would be easier to sell as a group.

I just don't know how the grading at a show works. Do we grab a bunch of high dollar cards and just drop them off at the show and they send them back or is it a while you wait thing? Is one grader better than another for that era cards? Is one cheaper? Is it best to grade a bunch or just a handful and shop the collection and let an auctionhouse grade them?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Awesome I'll try to get a few pictures when i sort them before the show

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I looked at his cards.

He's got a Babe Ruth But it's a reprint :(

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The good news is it's a 60's reprint set that might be worth a little bit.

He also has a box of these crummy cards that he cut out of cereal boxes.

And some Yankees players

I think I see a Mickey Mantle Card

If his face is on it it counts right?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

More babe Ruth 60's Reprints

Some decent cards

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 8, 2015

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

So not really knowing much about what cards are worth anything, I asked my dad to rummage through a few boxes and pick out the players that he thought were stars back in the 60s. I set some of them out on a card table to try to grab a picture but the table got pretty full so I took group shots of sections of the table. If you see cards that look like a stack then there are duplicates of that specific card or player underneath.

This is the whole table

He ended up having quite a few Mickey Mantle cards which might be valuable depending on how they rate

Now I need to figure out which are worth grading and buy some plastic sleeves or something to take them in to get graded. Is there something I can buy on Amazon? all the local card shops closed years ago.

He also had some other cards I need to upload pictures of but their internet is super slow.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 8, 2015

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Some more post and jello cards

He has a bunch of the team cards which seem to be worthwhile depending on the team

He also pulled out a binder of what I thought were called exhibitor cards but are actually called exhibit or arcade cards. I guess they aren't worth much compared to regular cards but he has 3 mantles and duplicates of other good players.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 8, 2015

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I started a thread over at net54 to get some more feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

I have a huge vintage dealer in Detroit that might be interested. He may know the best route on this.

Thanks for the pictures!

The thread on Net54 got a bit more traffic and some really good advice
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213862

I posted more pictures over there if anyone wants to see more.

• Locked thread