Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I'll play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I forgot about this game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Am I still alive? If so, I will read the thread.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kat Delacour posted:

We still have like 24 hours of this poo poo don't we?

Can I ask the same question Auspol got asked, tell us about non-auspol mafia players. I do like the meta play because it puts potentially weird stuff into context, like people who go missing and lurking is a problem but then you're like Oh hey they have a baby or Oh hey they have a new job

##vote Kat

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Call me on my cell phone

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I haven't read. The. Thread.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Call me on my cell phone

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I will actually try to read today in a few hours. Sorry for not participating yet.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kat Delacour posted:

We still have like 24 hours of this poo poo don't we?

Can I ask the same question Auspol got asked, tell us about non-auspol mafia players. I do like the meta play because it puts potentially weird stuff into context, like people who go missing and lurking is a problem but then you're like Oh hey they have a baby or Oh hey they have a new job

Kat Delacour posted:

I don't know if there is a meta friendship here but I want to draw an attention to why did Quidnose got namedropped and AnonymousNarcotics with significantly fewer posts got ignored.

The postcount server is hosed though so we're all probably making really haphazard attempts at pretending we know who is lurking anyway. Plus I don't think lurking D1 means anything.

Kat's first post caused me to raise an eyebrow when I read it initially. Looking over Kat as a whole, these two posts stand out. These don't actually get us anywhere closer to finding scum nor do they give an opinion about any player. He's posting with things that make it look like he's scum hunting without actually scum hunting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Podima posted:

Auspol people: I've never played with any of you (I don't think) and I don't lurk-spectate any of your games. Please tell me one important thing I should be aware of about another Auspol person in this game.

I generally find it scummy to ask for players to do something and then never follow up on it. Did anyone respond?

Podima posted:

To briefly and succinctly explain myself because it was a bad post:

- I think SSV's earlier post and reactions to people probing him over it were notable.
- I think Merk's absence/forgetting about the game when he tends to pride himself on his Mafia gameplay is notable.

I would vote for either of them. I phrased my post poorly by saying one thing and voting another.

Hopefully that makes more sense!

This post doesn't get us anywhere. Although he gives an opinion, he doesn't make a vote nor does he persuasively push either candidate.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

##vote ssv

Imgay is weird too, feels forced with setup spec

Do you still feel this way?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Kat vote is pretty good for d1. I'll revote again on this page to make that clear: ##vote Kat

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Merk, what do you think of Vimes?

I nailed him as scum in the Archer game and am not getting the same vibes here. The Archer case was based off of his casework and misrepresentations though, and he hasn't had an opportunity to make a real case yet.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think he plays a good scum game. He isn't the type of player you're going to actually catch d1 with a case that has any merit. Any votes on him right now I don't think are good votes, which is why I asked Taste if he still believed in that vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

After mislynching Ecco in a recent game, I went back and tried to figure out what went wrong. I've come to the realization that there is this group of players who play "fine" on day 1 as scum except in situations where they are lazy. That is, their content isn't going to look fake.

Ecco is one of those players. When I voted him in that game it was based off of not real scum tells (i.e. tone, use of weasel words, etc.) rather than the only scum tell that matters (fake content).

I think Vimes is one of those players. Any case on him right now is probably not a good one.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

If you're going to catch someone on d1, you catch them because they are faking like they are scum hunting with zero flips available for you that help make that call. It's a really hard thing to find as town and a fairly easy thing to fake as scum.

If you catch someone on d1 with a real case, you catch someone making a mistake or being lazy in faking content. I think Kat is making a mistake by talking about things that aren't scum hunting while making it look like he's actually scum hunting. Podima is in the lazy category.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

If you're going to catch someone on d1, you catch them because they are faking like they are scum hunting with zero flips available for you that help make that call. It's a really hard thing to find as town and a fairly easy thing to fake as scum.

Like, for example, you could link me a random thread on these forums (not even a mafia game), tell me I'm scum and the thread is a mafia thread, and I could come up with an argument to lynch a poster in that thread that you would think sounds mafia genuine.

ninja: Not tooting my own horn or anything. I just want to highlight that it's really easy to fake content on d1. If you're building a big and strong case on someone d1, especially someone who has been scum a hundred times, it's probably a bad case. I'm now trying to play d1 differently with this realization in mind.

After writing this all out, I'm not sure what any of it means. But there you have my thought process.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

...and as a final GENERAL MAFIA NOTE: That doesn't mean you get to skip d1. You can't take the JoseV approach. D1 (as even he would agree) is very important to a mafia game in later days. The content you're required to create from nothing now gives create insight into your alignment later on. If you're a player who takes a backseat d1 because you don't think quality cases can be made, you're going against the town win condition.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kashuno posted:

Comes across as self conscious to me, has added no real content to d1 at all and is mostly whitenoise. Even post "joke votes," MMG has offered nothing of any value.

What do you think of Kat? I feel like my Kat vote is much better than your MMG vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Doesn't vote finder keep count?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Call me on my cell phone.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

I haven't read. Day. 2.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Quidnose posted:

I am an Ecco cop and was told one of Bif, bromp, and Kommando are not town.

This is a great fakeclaim by the by. That said, I don't see why we wouldn't lynch one of these people today under the hope that it isn't a fakeclaim.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

Morning all. I still think the SSV case is at least as good as any of the other D1 suspects, but I'd be up for MMG or Podima or Quidnose instead. (Or some other lurker if things swing that way fast enough)

Bifauxnen posted:

I once made a spreadsheet to do RNG-based decisions on the tone, length, punctuation and frequency my posts just to gently caress with Gaspy :buddy:

(It was too much work to keep up for more than half a game, though)

Anyway,

##vote Podima

##vote Bif

He has a lot of posts but not a lot of actual content. His three votes in the game (SSV, Podima, and now MMG) don't get anywhere close to compelling.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Call me on my cell phone.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kat Delacour. posted. nothing.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

It's a merk skate. Only merk can skate.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ok. ##vote Janus

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

##vote Quidnose

Goodbye, third party.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Quidnose posted:

This is a waste of time. I am either going to turn into town or I am going to be removed from the game. Why bother with this?

You've lied once. You are probably lying now. My position on third parties has been vetted in numerous games. This is the right vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ok, I'm back from a weekend trip. Did I miss any claims? Will catch up.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

And yeah, I reread the day

No way. ##vote Taste

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ok guys I will really try today.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

THE DAY OF MERK IS UPON US

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

There isn't much that stands out from imgay's post history.

imgay posted:

I think kat is more scum than pod at this point, but idk. neither dude screams scum to me.

When I first read this post, I thought that imgay was distancing from Kat. Now, I'm not quite sure. Kat had 6 votes when this happened and Podima was -2 - day 1. The comment on Podima is definitely classic scum negative content against a d1 lynch of town. I'm not sure what putting Kat above Podima does here though. imgay never mentions Kat again.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

SirSamVimes posted:

Hi I am back from my birthday dinner, it was really good. I had spit roasted chicken and poutine followed up by lemon meringue pie.

I feel really suspicious about the fact that Merk hasn't been his usual scumhunty self. I haven't seen him as scum before, but I've seen a lot of people saying that he's a mediocre scum player despite being very good at town. He hasn't done much decent casework this game, and hasn't been aggressively pushing his reads like he did when he caught me out as scum before.

You think I'm town based entirely off imgay's posts back then? Or is this a case of you already leaning that direction and imgay solidifying your opinion?

This post is setting off alarm bells.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kommando posted:

rolecop is normally a scum role, flavorcop that kashuno claims sounds like a town role.

Anidav and his lore, powers are based on lore, lore flavour and powers, all in the Anidav mind.

Kashuno could be a role cop that also gets flavor. That's a very common scum role.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

##vote Ixt - This is actually the right vote.

Ixt is here in the thread, but he's never actually present in scum hunting discussion. His posts are short, friendly, and devoid of actual reads on players. When he does make votes, they are justified with, at best, a 'yep' or, at worst, a joke.

Ixtlilton posted:

##vote Podima

Ixtlilton posted:

Yep.

##vote janus

Ixtlilton posted:

Let's kill Taste. He's been all "oh look at me tryin' to look town" and I'm sitting here like "nah."

##vote Taste

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Merk if you are scum we can team up and orchestrate something very whacky, you should tell me if you are.

When are you going to drop the schtick and try to find scum? With imgay flipping scum and Ixt looking like he's flipping scum in the same joke style, your style concerns me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kashuno posted:

I am happy merk is back
##vote ixt

I may randomly disappear again. My life has taken an aggressive turn this last month (for the better!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Well mostly I was waiting for you to inevitably accuse me of being scum.

lol I guess you got it.

• Locked thread