Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

John Noble has joined the cast and is playing Sherlock's dad. Morland Holmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Oh. God. Damnit. I knew this was on and forgot to record it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love this show :supaburn:.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well I guess they cleared up what happened in the finale: he beat the poo poo out of Oscar then got high :catdrugs:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I loving love this show. It'll be hard for me to see sherlock's father as anyone other than silly, bumbling walter bishop.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

buddhanc posted:

I loving love this show. It'll be hard for me to see sherlock's father as anyone other than silly, bumbling walter bishop.

I've got the same problem except it's Walternate.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

buddhanc posted:

It's Denethor for me. Which kind of fits, actually! From one terrible father to another.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The OP feels so empty without pictures of Clyde :(

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
A good start to the season. I'm interested to see what kind of work S&W will get now? Maybe Morland will get them back in the department's good graces?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
John Noble has a pretty voice :allears:.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Accretionist posted:

I've got the same problem except it's Walternate.

Definitely Walternate.

All good, however I thought some of the music didn't really fit, which is surprising as the soundtrack has been as excellent as the acting and storylines in previus seasons.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'm sure Morland does something to patch things up, unless they're writing off Bell and Gregson. I'm predicting that instead of kicking Sherlock and Joan out of the house, he restores their lives back to normal, but retains a smug sense of superiority over Sherlock, which is a far worse punishment.

I thought the mystery of the week was pretty obvious after the restaurant scene, but I liked the Holmes/Watson and moments and the build up to introducing Morland. The scene with Sherlock and Morland on the roof at the end felt like a perfected version of what they were going for with Mycroft in season 2.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I never liked Mycroft, but Morland is already pretty loving cool :c00l:.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mycroft was ugly enough to be in the BBC Sherlock show.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

One question: Sherlock said the DA wasn't going to charge him and send him to prison, but there surely was more to that phone call than that. Deportation back to Blighty?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Man, I had to google who Morland was.

(He's Walter, btw.)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

spookygonk posted:

One question: Sherlock said the DA wasn't going to charge him and send him to prison, but there surely was more to that phone call than that. Deportation back to Blighty?
I'm sure we'll get into it more. The episode did a lot to set up how much trouble Sherlock was in, so I have no doubt that his father called them up and was like "how would you like two million dollars and keeping your job".

I'm so glad to see John Noble on the show! His performance so far is the platonic ideal of Distant, yet Devastatingly Disapproving Dad.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

RoboCicero posted:

I'm sure we'll get into it more. The episode did a lot to set up how much trouble Sherlock was in, so I have no doubt that his father called them up and was like "how would you like two million dollars and keeping your job".

I'm so glad to see John Noble on the show! His performance so far is the platonic ideal of Distant, yet Devastatingly Disapproving Dad.

The guy is being typecast! I'm glad to see the show is back, and yeah, I do like father Holmes more than Mycroft already.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pretty sure that Holmes Sr. bought off the NYC District Attorney, which will lead to something involving more John Noble onscreen.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Mu Zeta posted:

Mycroft was ugly enough to be in the BBC Sherlock show.

:drat:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Pretty sure that Holmes Sr. bought off the NYC District Attorney, which will lead to something involving more John Noble onscreen.

I am pretty sure he is a regular this season

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

"What's the hardest you've ever been hit?"

Oh Joan. :allears:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

"What's the hardest you've ever been hit?"

Oh Joan. :allears:

I love Joan channeling her inner "Lucy Lui in almost anything other than this show." It was a nice mystery but I have to admit to being impatient with it simply from a desire to see John Noble.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ugh my DVR had no idea what channel this was on tonight and so I missed like a minute at the beginning trying to find it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wildcard dad. I'm still not sure the role he's going to play if he's in and out all season.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That was a really loving good episode.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Great episode tonight. The addition of sherlock's father is already working pretty well.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
That throwaway line about the Falklands was incredible. I wasn't sure I even heard that one right.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

buddhanc posted:

Great episode tonight. The addition of sherlock's father is already working pretty well.

I loved the bit at the end where Joan is threatening Morland and being protective of Sherlock and he looks like he's a couple seconds away from patting her on the head and telling her she's adorable.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
YES! After the playing a whiny child I sleepy hollow season 2 finally a part worth of John Noble.
One can just feel he is the kind of guy who would start the Falklands war for some obscure reason:tinfoil:

Now I just want to see him and James Spader trying to out monologue each other.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

just_a_guy posted:

YES! After the playing a whiny child I sleepy hollow season 2 finally a part worth of John Noble.
One can just feel he is the kind of guy who would start the Falklands war for some obscure reason:tinfoil:

Someone in the Falkland Islands kidnapped his son.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

bobkatt013 posted:

Someone in the Falkland Islands kidnapped his son.

I am sure it was something far pettier :/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They took his pudding

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

just_a_guy posted:

I am sure it was something far pettier :/

It was probably something like he'd just purchased a defense contractor specializing in naval assets, so he ginned up the war to get contracts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Doing a solid for Sherlock's mother, Margaret Thatcher.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He supplied the pictures she provided the war

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

Doing a solid for Sherlock's mother, Margaret Thatcher.

Or doing a solid for his mother-in-law, Margaret Thatcher. Sherlock was probably born in 1976, Maggie would've would have been 51 and Morland about 27. Margaret's daughter Carol would have been 22-23 though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

johntfs posted:

Or doing a solid for his mother-in-law, Margaret Thatcher. Sherlock was probably born in 1976, Maggie would've would have been 51 and Morland about 27. Margaret's daughter Carol would have been 22-23 though.

If Sherlock is the same age as Jonny Lee Miller, he was born in 1972.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I love the little one-off joke about football on thursday nights. We've basically reached peak saturation for football and it was funny coming from Holmes.

I like the dynamic between sherlock and his father when they were dressing down the walking cigarette. They seem like a p good team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

buddhanc posted:

I love the little one-off joke about football on thursday nights. We've basically reached peak saturation for football and it was funny coming from Holmes.

I like the dynamic between sherlock and his father when they were dressing down the walking cigarette. They seem like a p good team.

Needs more Morland / Sherlock team ups

Or Morland vs Moriarty :getin:

• Locked thread