Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think she's much too old to be Sherlock's daughter by Moriarty - She'd have to be no older than 10, probably younger, I forget the exact timeline of "Irene" being murdered prior to sherlock leaving England. She could be Sherlock's daughter via some other earlier random dalliance, but more likely Moriarty's daughter by some other man. We've seen Moriarty's daughter already though unless she has another older one stashed away somewhere. Protege seems the most likely explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
CBS is moving the show to Sunday 10PM, probably en route to getting canned :(

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Scorchy posted:

They might be having it move there in order to take the place of the Good Wife when that gets canned.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
you nerds, mycroft owns

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
OR, perhaps, just a wild shot in the dark here, she was just a one-off character of minor importance who will never be mentioned ever again.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Scorchy posted:

Honestly, this show only had one more season left in it after this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Honestly, this show only had one more season left in it after this.

Please continue telling us the future.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Please continue telling us the future.
I just think that having Elementary go beyond 5 seasons would be a mistake. We've already had Mycroft, Holmes and Watson temporarily splitting up, Sherlock relapsing, and now we're dealing with Sherlock's dad. The only thing left that's big enough to be a season-long arc is Moriarty, and god knows it's hard getting hold of Natalie Dormer these days.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just think that having Elementary go beyond 5 seasons would be a mistake. We've already had Mycroft, Holmes and Watson temporarily splitting up, Sherlock relapsing, and now we're dealing with Sherlock's dad. The only thing left that's big enough to be a season-long arc is Moriarty, and god knows it's hard getting hold of Natalie Dormer these days.

I sort of agree, but I'd really like some resolution with Moriarty if possible because the challenge she presented to Sherlock felt like a very important one. I think you could even do it in a voiceover if you had to, though, that people "like them" can be "people". That despite being extraordinary they are not inherently isolates.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

OR, perhaps, just a wild shot in the dark here, she was just a one-off character of minor importance who will never be mentioned ever again.

Sherlock said that she's the most convincing liar he's ever met. He'll be at her trial.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

Sherlock said that she's the most convincing liar he's ever met. He'll be at her trial.
He said "one of" the most convincing liars.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think they have a good opportunity for further stories with that character and I doubt they will ignore it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

He said "one of" the most convincing liars.

Yes, but his benchmark is Moriarty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's almost certainly this.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Scorchy posted:

The only way it was going to get a Season 5 is if CBS decided/decides that they want more episodes for syndication. They've had a huge syndication deal in place for a while, so whether or not it got renewed was completely impossible to predict based on ratings, etc.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Scorchy posted:

Didn't The Mentalist survive in that spot for years after it should've ended?

I also got some major S1 E3 vibes from last week's show. I thought the the S1 version was one of the better episodes of the series and was disappointed they didn't follow up with the kid-villain. This definitely seems like a possible 2-3 episode arc to kill time until Morland gets back, kind of like Bell going to that anti-terror department in S2. On the other hand, it could be like that AI conspiracy guy last season that seemed interesting and went nowhere. The girl in this episode felt like a poor man's version of Ellen Paige in Hard Candy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Frankly, if they only make 4 seasons, that's fine. No need to go all House and destroy a whole bunch of good will.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Not every good villain of the week needs to come back. I like the show because, like Doyle's stories, it thrives on the procedural self-contained cases. There's something to be said for wrapping things up at the end of the 43 minutes.

The running season plotlines have all been focused on the characters of Holmes and Watson, and have mostly avoided doing some lame recurring serial killer nemesis that would take focus away from character development. Moriarty was the exception obviously, but even that arc was focused heavily on Holmes' relationship with her and his sobriety.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ashpanash posted:

Frankly, if they only make 4 seasons, that's fine. No need to go all House and destroy a whole bunch of good will.

I think they've got enough for five, but I'd probably end it there.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Song choices have been super weird lately..

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

Clyde is choosing the soundtrack.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sherlock and Joan "tricking" Det Bell was pretty good.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

apatheticman posted:

Alabama Shakes are popular right now and have appeared on a few TV soundtracks over the past couple of years.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

InfiniteZero posted:

Alabama Shakes are popular right now and have appeared on a few TV soundtracks over the past couple of years.

I dont doubt that but the ending was like "OH poo poo WE NEED MUSIC... uhh.. throw it at the end?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Morland returns next week.

quote:

"Murder Ex Machina" - Holmes and Watson search for a computer hacker responsible for three murders, including the death of a Russian billionaire who was visiting New York City. Also, Joan is surprised to receive a solo dinner invitation from Sherlock's father, on ELEMENTARY, Thursday, Jan. 21 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thank you Canada for your gifts, this episode was so loving great I could barf. So good. Aaa! So good!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

How nice would it be if Moriarty was the one trying to kill Morland? Probably a bit too obvious, but it could lead to some interesting character development for Sherlock.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
A very good episode. This season has been a significant step up from the last.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Yeah that was a great episode. I love when they play up an espionage angle. Sherlock finding a spy / safe house seems to be a favorite thing to do of his and it's glorious when it happens.

Morland is going to probably need some serious help soon.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Sherlock and Bell in a strip club is loving A+ television.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I found this one actually something of a let-down, given how obvious the killer was. The stuff going on with Morland was more fun to guess.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Who was the actor who played the murderer?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Who was the actor who played the murderer?

The internet tells me it's the guy who played the creepy intern on Dexter, Josh Cooke.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

The stuff going on with Morland was more fun to guess.

I like she figured that all out from watching him eat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

The internet tells me it's the guy who played the creepy intern on Dexter, Josh Cooke.

Thank you, my googling failed me and I was trying to figure out why I both recognized and instinctively despised him

Dexter explains both

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Scorchy posted:

Or....

Morland being an evil genius staged all that to make her think so. He very deliberately invited her to eat and had pills on the table
Reasons as of yet unclear...

I love Morland :)

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Artie Bucco saying "I know a couple wiseguys" was cute.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maera Sior posted:

I found this one actually something of a let-down, given how obvious the killer was.
I knew as soon as I saw him, but only because of the secret formula that lets you instantly spot the killer in any police procedural. It's the first person you recognise who isn't part of the regular cast. Without that I would have thought he was too obvious (which is not exactly a point in favour of this episode).

Scorchy posted:

I noticed that he was eating strangely, but I didn't know if it was important or him just being weird. :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Eh, not as fun as last week's and they built it up as a bigger moment in the season plot than it was. Not bad though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope Morland doesn't stay gone long. I want Sherlock to talk more poo poo to him.

• Locked thread