Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love this show :supaburn:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
John Noble has a pretty voice :allears:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I never liked Mycroft, but Morland is already pretty loving cool :c00l:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wildcard dad. I'm still not sure the role he's going to play if he's in and out all season.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Doing a solid for Sherlock's mother, Margaret Thatcher.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm enjoying the crap out of Morland, but I have to say, it's kind of conspicuous that Mycroft hasn't even been mentioned. I didn't really like the Mycroft episodes but hasn't Holmes even considered that it could be a factor in what's going on?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Probably because Rhys Ifans ended up seeming gross and weird.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How about a haircut done by someone who wasn't British?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

I think Watson is supposed to be considerably younger than Liu though. I remember in one episode Sherlock asks her if she plans to have children in the future and she's quite non-committal about it, like she has plenty of time to worry about it later.

Liu herselfonly just had a kid between seasons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wait, what was the return favor for the contract for then?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, as someone who has articulated skeletons, lol at the idea you could even do that step in one night, much less flesh and bleach the loving thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dragonatrix posted:

Watching it right now and... the crime was done over (a marginally different but very obvious version of) ET for the Atari 2600?? This is a weird episode concept, jeez.

It feels like the writers have done something very smart and to keep the episodes novel and "hard to figure out"; they always use a component of some news article or cutting-edge thing. It doesn't solve the mystery but it adds a new "rule" that other mysteries haven't used yet, or had to use differently.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I find it amusing to go back to S1 and Sherlock being a horndog was such a kind of annoying but persistent character facet, and now they've largely dumped it as far as I can tell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they were really trying to drive home that Sherlock and Watson, FOR REAL, were not going to get together (even at the end of the season!!)

At this point the characters are well established enough that it would be weird as gently caress if they did.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I did think they were making Morland out to be a little too obviously good, needed a switcharoo and then maybe a switch back, or not, who knows! But either way Morland is great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also grabbed a screencap of John Noble's pants at the moment they most resemble a buttcrack:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blind Pineapple posted:

Morland is easily the most intriguing character on this show since Moriarty. Season 4 is shaping up to be way better than 2 and 3.

I agree, though Seasons 2 and 3 were still both excellent.

Season 1 - Holmes and Watson become friends sort of, Moriarty/Irene stuff gets told in a cool and fresh way
Season 2 - Mycroft is gross go away Mycroft (no one even remembers this stuff except something about French people)
Season 3 - Kitty, a wildcard, joins the team, Sherlock and Watson have to mend their broken trust, Sherlock relapses
Season 4 - Dad's in town and he's living up to his three-season-long reputation as one bad motherfucker

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think they tend to dump the less complex/"poorer" mysteries on episodes that are more interesting for other reasons (Sherlock's dad).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They seem to semi-intentionally dump the boring mysteries on the episodes that have something bigger going on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The plot is based on the real-life case of Frédéric Bourdin, by the way, whose ears were used to prove he was a nutty French guy and not a Texas teen.

e: And he did accuse the family of accepting him because they may or may not have killed the boy he impersonated; David Grann wrote an article about it which can be read in The Devil and Sherlock Holmes, fittingly enough.

Pick fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 7, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just think that having Elementary go beyond 5 seasons would be a mistake. We've already had Mycroft, Holmes and Watson temporarily splitting up, Sherlock relapsing, and now we're dealing with Sherlock's dad. The only thing left that's big enough to be a season-long arc is Moriarty, and god knows it's hard getting hold of Natalie Dormer these days.

I sort of agree, but I'd really like some resolution with Moriarty if possible because the challenge she presented to Sherlock felt like a very important one. I think you could even do it in a voiceover if you had to, though, that people "like them" can be "people". That despite being extraordinary they are not inherently isolates.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ashpanash posted:

Frankly, if they only make 4 seasons, that's fine. No need to go all House and destroy a whole bunch of good will.

I think they've got enough for five, but I'd probably end it there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Morland returns next week.

quote:

"Murder Ex Machina" - Holmes and Watson search for a computer hacker responsible for three murders, including the death of a Russian billionaire who was visiting New York City. Also, Joan is surprised to receive a solo dinner invitation from Sherlock's father, on ELEMENTARY, Thursday, Jan. 21 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thank you Canada for your gifts, this episode was so loving great I could barf. So good. Aaa! So good!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Eh, not as fun as last week's and they built it up as a bigger moment in the season plot than it was. Not bad though!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I keep wondering if the "two years ago" thing is important because that's also when Mycroft disappeared.

Mycroft = murder?!

Maybe the only way he could hope to get away with it is from under deep intelligence cover, and he'd know what Sherlock looked like. He sets up his dad to think Sherlock tried to kill him and Mycroft gets all the monies :tinfoil:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blind Pineapple posted:

How satisfying would it be to this thread if S4 ends with Sherlock killing Mycroft?

"You're gross, Mycroft," Sherlock says. "Literally everyone would rather bang John Noble and his jowls look like a branching Glasgow smile."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This one was pretty lame. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Joan's nemesis cop is kinda annoying.

She feels like a weird crossover character from a tonally completely different show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I feel 0% sorry for that stupid turd. You don't get to be Batman.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It just wasn't a good one. Also, there... wasn't anyone else for it to be really.

It would have been all right if they'd focused on the "how" and not the "who", the "who" was dead clear and super boring.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think if varies, there are more duds recently but when they're done well they're done well. I really liked the one with self-driving cars, it's a good "follow the money" episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The relationship is cute, although it's a shame I feel with Dormer as famous as she is we'll never get any Moriarty resolution.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The mystery wasn't terrible but it was too similar to the very good snow day one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I liked it but I'm getting Morland withdrawls.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Innnnnteresting developments this time, good crime too. Good episode, though I really do wish the Morland plot went a little faster. He there next week?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, there's absolutely no "magic". I like it too. He might already know some things, but they're never anything so obscure it strains credibility.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's interesting that I can almost always guess the case if I know the news story they pulled from (but the mystery is usually good anyway); this was one such example. This was a reference to Citigroup Center.

The mystery was surprisingly credible, I liked it a lot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:siren: Hound of the Baskervilles is coming :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wayfinder posted:

That's the one the dreadful BBC show botched the hardest... Kind of afraid

I really dislike the BBC Sherlock, and I have to say the Hound of the Baskervilles was if anything my favorite episode... because it's so loving stupid, I was laughing most of the way through.

• Locked thread