Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Co-created by Ansari and long-term Parks and Rec writer Alan Yang (as well as the late Harris Wittels, in its early stages), Master of None is a sitcom about Dev, a struggling actor based on the creator who is just trying to get his poo poo together and become an adult in New York City! Which, yes, is the premise for all kinds of mumblecore nonsense I'm sure. But this looks like it's going a different route.

In interviews with Ansari he's described it as very much inspired by 70s cinema - it's conversational and maybe not especially dramatic. This also comes across in the opening with the French arty music and those old-school cast credits at the beginning. While there are running threads throughout the series, such as Dev's attempts at forming a relationship with a girl he has to help get the pill in the show's first scene, each episode is supposed to be fairly self-contained and ruminates on its own theme - the premiere is about having babies, and future ones are about his heritage and stuff like that.

As well as Ansari, we have Eric Wareheim (who also directed a bunch of episode), H. Jon Benjamin, Noel Wells, and playing his parents, the incomparable....Aziz Ansari's somewhat-legendary irl parents. Other directors include James Ponsoldt, who did The Spectacular Now and that recent David Foster Wallace movie The End of the Tour.

I'm going through episode 1 now and this show is very much For Me. I love conversational low-stakes media, and already this is scratching that itch. It's not the funniest show in the world, but it has no intention of being so. Fellow goon Naet says this is the "Louie with Aziz" episode and it gets a lot better. If that happens this may be in my top 10 of the year.

Season 1 is, unsurprisingly, on Netflix now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like Aziz a lot more than Louis CK so I'll give this a shot.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"French arty music" oh it's Jacques Dutronc's Paris s'éveille, I'm not sure I'd call it artsy, it's a pretty popular song, but it's an oldie for sure.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 6, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So, episode 2. uhhhh....yeah. This show is great.

Also, is this the first Netflix show to be shot in widescreen?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Escobarbarian posted:

(as well as the late Harris Wittels, in its early stages)

I had forgotten about this until I saw his name in the credits. :smith:

Apparently Mike Schur is also an EP.

Escobarbarian posted:

So, episode 2. uhhhh....yeah. This show is great.

Also, is this the first Netflix show to be shot in widescreen?

I maintain that the first 9 minutes of episode 2 will be the hooking point for most people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Naet posted:

I had forgotten about this until I saw his name in the credits. :smith:

Just saw his story credit for ep 3. My heart :(

Naet posted:

I maintain that the first 9 minutes of episode 2 will be the hooking point for most people.

What's crazy is Ansari directed that ep, which I believe is his first directorial credit. Fuckin' comedic John Slattery over here.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Welp, I'm sold given the names involved. Will give this a crack sometime this weekend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yay! Something new to watch!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

First episode featured Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy. Now no matter how bad this show gets I will defend it. First episode was pretty great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha Taystee is great as his agent

oh btw there aren't any spoiler rules for this thread, just do whatever you want, i ain't no dork

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Man, I am having some real trouble getting through episode 4. Super uncomfortable in all the right ways.

"Don't play the race card; charge it to the race card." Interesting line.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Watched five eps so far, and it is really loving good. I sort of knew that Aziz was good, but never really realized that he was this good.

Also, god loving damnit Harris :smith:. What could have been...

EDIT: Also, I really love that this show places the focus on the non-white aspect and experience of American culture.

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Ep 4: :ohdear: "Is Mindy Kaling real?" :laffo:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The music choices in this show are loving phenomenal, and some of the openings are masterpieces.

I can't get over how good this is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm right there with you, man. This could be my favourite new show of the year. Definitely my favourite new comedy (sorry Kimmy Schmidt).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I really enjoyed the first episode ("I have to use the bathroom") and am I little way into 2. A few reviews seem to call it a sitcom which seems to me a complete mislabelling.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I really enjoyed the first episode ("I have to use the bathroom") and am I little way into 2. A few reviews seem to call it a sitcom which seems to me a complete mislabelling.

Well it is a comedy about situations so in a technical aspect they are correct.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Second episode was spectacular.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Episode #7 was loving awesome. While the themes it explored were fairly obvious from the start, the way to handled was just brilliant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished up the season and loved it. Very impressed by how intelligent it continued to be throughout. Wouldn't be surprised if this cracked my year-end top 10. (although it HAS been a hell of a year....)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Harris Wittels died? Goddamn how did I miss that?

Gonna start this show soon.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm not a huge fan of ansaris style, since I really dont like the "materialist with a heart of gold" thing he's got going on, but this is a solid show.

edit: Holy poo poo do I hate the word "boo"

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 7, 2015

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

Eel hovercraft posted:

Episode #7 was loving awesome. While the themes it explored were fairly obvious from the start, the way to handled was just brilliant.
Was that Old People? If so, I just watched it and agree. I love grandma Carol.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

kami posted:

Was that Old People? If so, I just watched it and agree. I love grandma Carol.

Nah, ep #7 was the one that dealt with sexism. But I totally agree with you, grandma Carol loving ruled.

Just finished the series, and I gotta say that I really didn't expect it to be this good. Maybe it's because I'm pretty much the same age as Ansari, but the show and it's themes just resonated in a way that Louie/Maron never could. Really looking forward to what Aziz & co. come up with for season two.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

On episode 2, this show rules.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

The flashbacks of their parents childhood were fantastic. Through 2 episodes and I'm loving it.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anyone thrown off by Eric Wareheim's really stiff acting? He feels like a fish out of water.

Otherwise the show is neat.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

IS MINDY KALING REAL?

I loving died.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree with people who said it's really unexpected that it turned out quite this good. I mean, it deals with a lot of the same topics as his stand-up, but it's a thousand times better than any of his live shows (all of which I like).

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Holy loving poo poo Collin Salmon SLAYS. I hope he's in more episodes.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 7, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Watched 3 eps, gonna go to sleep and probably binge the rest tomorrow. This is so thematically solid, entertaining, genuinely funny--at least one moment where I totally crack up per episode. Works way better for me than his stand-up.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh my god the halloween music playing when that girl is walking alone. :laffo:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I don't think there have been many laugh out loud moments, but it is SUPER amusing.

Also this show is beautifully lit and shot for a comedy.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

IS MINDY KALING REAL?

I loving died.

I laughed all the way through the credits to the next episode. This show is great.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
It's good to know my now decades long crush on Claire Danes continues even though I haven't seen Homeland.

And seconding or thirding or whatevering the praise for the music. I've always loved this cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQxvo_9DEqY

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

I'm sure there are better episodes in the series but just finished episode 2 and yep that's me in that episode.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PotatoJudge posted:

It's good to know my now decades long crush on Claire Danes continues even though I haven't seen Homeland.

Watch season one. It's amazing. After that, tell yourself that was the series finale, and walk away. Don't ever look back.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

iSheep posted:

Anyone thrown off by Eric Wareheim's really stiff acting? He feels like a fish out of water.

Otherwise the show is neat.

I agree. He grew on me over time, though.

I'm still trying to articulate it but I love the way Aziz addresses complicated social issues. Dev isn't a misogynist or a racist, but he's still a dude who grew up in a patriarchal, anti-black society and some of the things he says and does reflect that. When Rachel and Denise (and other characters) call his poo poo out, the conflict seems real and not cartoony or sentimental. Dev learns lessons, but they're earned and his growth is a slow evolution.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In that respect I absolutely loved the argument where Dev immediately sided with the guy in Rachel's story. I've done that so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The acting on this show is suspiciously bad and I'm not a fan of the widescreen but the writing it top-notch and hilarious. Watched four episodes last night, which I never do.

• Locked thread