Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

Looks fun. Hopefully air controls are a bit better than before, they werent so good in Just Cause 2

yes apparently rudder control is finally in so no more lovely plane controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Ugh. game looks great and better than JC2 in pretty much every way but it looks like they somehow managed to carry over the "close to death" effect of the screen getting red and the heartbeat sound when the player still has heaps of health left.

That really irritated me in JC2. Spent most of my time in battles with a red screen without really getting all that close to death. I hope you can turn that off.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Ugh. game looks great and better than JC2 in pretty much every way but it looks like they somehow managed to carry over the "close to death" effect of the screen getting red and the heartbeat sound when the player still has heaps of health left.

That really irritated me in JC2. Spent most of my time in battles with a red screen without really getting all that close to death. I hope you can turn that off.

You can! Just use this:

http://www.cheatengine.org/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In JC2 the red effect showed you were at the edge of your regenerating buffer, not that you were at low health. As you have no health bar in JC3 it means you're actually injured.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The thing I wished for the most in JC2 was to stop the automatic fadeout/respawn when you die. If I die because I drove a truck off the side of a mountain and crashed it into a helicopter then I wanna see the aftermath dammit :argh:

Of course Bolopatch fixed that, but still...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just needed to share that a friend ended up getting this for me last night and now I'm bouncing with excitement.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

http://imgur.com/2QCsT7x

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Just wanna remind everyone who is thinking about buying this game that it's published by Square Enix, the gods of DLC ripoffs. They were originally even considering making you use real money to buy airdrops in game, and they've already more or less confirmed they'll do a ton of additional ripoff DLC just like most Squeenix games.

Don't buy Squeenix games until they release the whole proper thing a year later unless you want to see this godawful trend get even worse.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

K8.0 posted:

Just wanna remind everyone who is thinking about buying this game that it's published by Square Enix, the gods of DLC ripoffs. They were originally even considering making you use real money to buy airdrops in game, and they've already more or less confirmed they'll do a ton of additional ripoff DLC just like most Squeenix games.

Don't buy Squeenix games until they release the whole proper thing a year later unless you want to see this godawful trend get even worse.

They've been pretty clear you can buy the XXL Edition now or the season pass after launch. I just bought the regular version, and don't mind spending money down the line on games I like. All the dlc for JC2 was reasonably priced and added funny poo poo.
If devs release a game to abysmal sales due to fear of dlc, or any other reason, chances are they won't get to make another game, and publishers won't bat an eye. Support Game Developers you like with the amount of money you want.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

K8.0 posted:

you want me to wait a full year to buy this gem? :eyepop:

you're hosed in the head if you think I'm doing that just to keep Squeenix from doing poo poo they're gonna do anyway

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

K8.0 posted:

DLC might be a ripoff yes, but I believe the "microtransactions" screenshots were little more than just prototyping how they would implement such a system and much less any actually malicious intent to turn the game into F2P.

The thing I'm actually unsure about is what the expansion pass actually entails. Also at this point I think WB takes the cake on worthless DLC, Squeenix has fallen to second place.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Node's boner will hold out a year either.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lmfao I just watched bits of that hour gameplay vid and since did Rico get so old and get such a deep, old-school masculine cowboy voice? This owns. Cool old dudes who kick rear end are the best playable characters.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Lmfao I just watched bits of that hour gameplay vid and since did Rico get so old and get such a deep, old-school masculine cowboy voice? This owns. Cool old dudes who kick rear end are the best playable characters.

I like the "liberating his homeland" angle too. Instead of blowing up poo poo so America can benefit, he's blowing up poo poo so his family and friends can benefit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

They've been pretty clear you can buy the XXL Edition now or the season pass after launch. I just bought the regular version, and don't mind spending money down the line on games I like. All the dlc for JC2 was reasonably priced and added funny poo poo.
If devs release a game to abysmal sales due to fear of dlc, or any other reason, chances are they won't get to make another game, and publishers won't bat an eye. Support Game Developers you like with the amount of money you want.

No, they've made it very clear that the XL edition will not include all the DLC. If it would, they would say that. They specifically avoid saying that every time they mention it because they intend to do the exact same thing they did with games like Sleeping Dogs, DXHR, Tomb Raider, Hitman, Thief, Dead Island, etc where they have shitloads of nickel and dime grossly overpriced DLC, and then later an actually complete version of the game that may or may not include proper integration for all the content. If you think Squeenix isn't going to come back to gently caress you in the rear end for buying their game when it was new, you're nutty as can be.

And your second claim is completely moronic. Not buying games has put pressure on publishers to cut this poo poo out before, and it would work again. Publishers aren't stupid, they monetize things as much as they can. If you let them get away with it, they will always keep loving you harder unless you make them stop. The only mechanism you have to put pressure on them is to refuse to give them money, which you should do. Yeah, you might not get to play a fun game as soon in the present, but the entire future of games for however long you're playing them will be less hosed every time you refuse to partake in this bullshit.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

If you consider it to be "reasonably priced" when they're asking a dollar or two per lovely vehicle in a game where the 60 dollar base game included 112 or something and vehicles were a minor part of the game, you're loving insane.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 26, 2015

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I guess I didn't type right. I got all the dlc at a reasonable price. It was on sale, and I didn't mind paying for it. As I'm sure I will down the line for JC3.

Anyways, in that 1st hour video, did anyone notice the how powerful the tether pull is? I'm pumped for grounding choppers into enemy troops all day every day.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

K8.0 posted:

Yeah, you might not get to play a fun game as soon in the present, but the entire future of games for however long you're playing them will be less hosed every time you refuse to partake in this bullshit.

I mean I agree with you myself and appreciate your effort but you're talking to a lot of SA goons who play video games as their primary means of consuming life experience, man. You might as well tell a 600 pound fatass that it's still possible to enjoy food without shoveling every molecule of it into his face the instant it comes into his field of view.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

K8.0 posted:

. If you think Squeenix isn't going to come back to gently caress you in the rear end for buying their game when it was new, you're nutty as can be.

It's pretty easy to avoid this, because probably I'll do exactly what I did last time - buy the main game and not buy any DLC or expansions at all because the game is still a lot of fun without any of them (I played JC2 quite a long time without any DLC and it was hardly "incomplete"). How is that getting hosed?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Because Squeenix has a storied track record of cutting content and then charging another 30-40 bucks for bits and pieces of it. It's silly to say you don't care about missing out on experiences as soon as possible because you clearly do - you intend to play this game on day one for a reason. It doesn't have to be this way. If we refuse to partake in this bullshit, we can get back to the days when you could just wait and find out if a game was good/functional, then buy it later on release day and not get penalized for it (which is what preorder "bonuses"/"discounts" actually are : a penalty for not buying something from a position of weakness and stupidity). We can get DLC to be a thing where the price for DLC is actually proportional to the content relative to the base game, rather than a scheme to exploit the desire we all have to do fun things as soon as possible and have the "complete" experience. But that's not going to happen unless we make it financially painful for publishers to try to screw us.

GreatGreen posted:

I mean I agree with you myself and appreciate your effort but you're talking to a lot of SA goons who play video games as their primary means of consuming life experience, man. You might as well tell a 600 pound fatass that it's still possible to enjoy food without shoveling every molecule of it into his face the instant it comes into his field of view.

You don't have to convince everybody, you just have to change the general trajectory of this consumer-unfriendly insanity that people currently accept by getting at least some people to realize why they should go out of their way to avoid supporting it.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 26, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they start releasing games that significantly suffer for the DLC I can just not buy those games. JC2 is fun as is and JC3 looks pretty good too.

I'm not really sure that waiting to buy the DLC in a bundle sends a particularly strong message that you don't like buying DLC.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

My main fear with this game is that it'll go stale for me like how JC2 did. JC2 gave you a lot of little tricks but it frontloaded all of them, so there was never any real sense of progression. Your upgrade points only made guns suck less or very, VERY gradually increased your health bar.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Speedball posted:

My main fear with this game is that it'll go stale for me like how JC2 did. JC2 gave you a lot of little tricks but it frontloaded all of them, so there was never any real sense of progression. Your upgrade points only made guns suck less or very, VERY gradually increased your health bar.

There were less red painted objects in Panau as time went on. If that isn't progression, then I don't know what is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Speedball posted:

TBH with an open world game that's kind of the goal. You ideally want enough content that most players get sick of the game before they get to the point of doing unfun things trying to 100% it. JC2's problem is that it's kind of mechanically limited - vehicles are pretty poo poo and badly designed (which also leads to the races being largely unfun), weapon balance/general combat design is garbage, and there isn't much you can do with the grapple, and missions generally just have a single objective which makes them awkwardly paced. They didn't really allocate their efforts evenly across the game's systems and it suffers in places as a result. JC3 looks like it has addressed most of these things fairly well. Also keep in mind that Just Cause 1 was a terrible, godawful game. It's really, really bad, and they took a huge step forward to JC2. There's been a similar window of time between the releases of JC1>2 and 2>3, and I think it's likely they've improved their game design quite a lot over that time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's true. I remember Just Cause 1, it had a LOT of problems.

Though I still chuckled at how your support team did nothing but hang out in a RV suntanning themselves and reading a book about world conquest for dummies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks like JC3 is improving by letting enemies call in better support (functioning tanks/APCs/rocket launcher dudes) which was the main issue I had with JC2, nothing challenged you.

I also like how you can get your buddies to drive for you in JC3 and fill up a car full of dudes and just cruise around getting into fights. The vehicle combat was really cool in JC2 but you almost never got to use it because you couldn't drive and fight at the same time.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm buying the regular version when it releases based on what JC2's DLC was like. I mean it was like $2 for fun novelty poo poo like monster trucks or some new weapon. It's not like they were gouging for multiplayer maps or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

It looks like JC3 is improving by letting enemies call in better support (functioning tanks/APCs/rocket launcher dudes) which was the main issue I had with JC2, nothing challenged you.

I also like how you can get your buddies to drive for you in JC3 and fill up a car full of dudes and just cruise around getting into fights. The vehicle combat was really cool in JC2 but you almost never got to use it because you couldn't drive and fight at the same time.

Yea having scaling backup being called in helps it seems. It got pretty lame when I figured out I could win everything by just getting a jet fast enough to avoid SAMs. Having them go 'oh, poo poo, dude in the sky owning our poo poo, armor, RPGs, everything made to blow up planes, get in here' should help that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Because Squeenix has a storied track record of cutting content and then charging another 30-40 bucks for bits and pieces of it. It's silly to say you don't care about missing out on experiences as soon as possible because you clearly do - you intend to play this game on day one for a reason.

What I'm saying is the game without any DLC is a good enough experience, whereas most of the DLC I remember from JC2 didn't seem like they'd be an interesting enough experience to buy, so I didn't. They were just random one off weapons and vehicles that seemed really unnecessary and didn't add much so I never got then, and I enjoyed JC2 for a long time anyway.

Most likely I will do the exact same thing this time - the only reason I'd buy a DLC is if it added something significant like a new country to explore or something like that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's fine, as long as you're OK with sending them the message that they just haven't cut enough content to get you to buy their ripoff DLC. You accepting their offer to buy part of a game for $60 doesn't take away their incentive - they have to actually lose money or they will keep doing shittier things to you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

K8.0 posted:

That's fine, as long as you're OK with sending them the message that they just haven't cut enough content to get you to buy their ripoff DLC. You accepting their offer to buy part of a game for $60 doesn't take away their incentive - they have to actually lose money or they will keep doing shittier things to you.

They're never going to lose enough money based on a few goons' purchasing decisions for it to matter. Please spend your ever more limited time on this earth caring about something important.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Square-Enix has shown pretty conclusively that their business decisions are made independent from reality a couple years ago when they decided to blame their falling profits on their Western franchises despite those performing amazingly sales-wise, while their first-party Japan focused franchises were the ones actually underperforming.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

They're never going to lose enough money based on a few goons' purchasing decisions for it to matter. Please spend your ever more limited time on this earth caring about something important.

You're right, they'd never do something like that... oh wait, it happened two months ago when people got mad about them doing something even shittier than current DLC practices with DX Mankind Divided. You're a loving imbecile.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
How about hacking the SAMs? Did they mention if they stay in your control forever?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Maybe we should all just agree to not buy the game so this K8.0 person can relax.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I'm going to buy ten copies of the game and buy all the DLC for all of them just to make him angrier.

The only people who are rabid about nickel-and-dime DLC pricing are filthy poors who shouldn't be spending that money on games in the first place. The rest of us just think "Hmm no thanks, I will not purchase this optional content and I will also not suffer an apoplectic fit".

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 26, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rico Rodriguez Ate My Balls

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Babe Magnet posted:

Rico Rodriguez Ate My Balls

Now that's cut content I can't wait to buy!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Didn't Rico have a vaguely latino accent in JC2? And in JC1 being vaguely based on Antonio Banderas? I mean I'm not complaining I appreciate them making Rico fit into any vague nationality.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Well, he's from Spain-Italy-Greece so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Rico's ethnicity is 'Swarthy', pretty much. He's whatever he needs to be of the dashing tan skinned accented people that would be entertaining to have parachuting around putting c4 on cows' asses.

• Locked thread