Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Chiming it with everyone else to agree that overall, the game was underwhelming.

-The DLC felt like they were phoning it in. Why were all of the cutscenes cartoon mattes instead of rendered using the in-game models? Could they really not be bothered to render the scenes?
-Characters are extremely forgettable and NOT FUNNY, despite the fact that they seem to be trying to make the characters one-dimensional comedic stereotypes. I played the main game so long ago that I forget who Looch even is. Am I suppose to remember this guy?
-I don't expect a stellar plot when playing a Just Cause game, but at least the Just Cause 2 plot was serviceable. There was no real investment to be had in this game's plot. They seemed to be setting up something good with Sheldon's behind the scenes dealings crossing the line and backstabbing Rico, but then they just drop it.
-The final boss is... well... not sure what that was.

I think what bothered me most is that Just Cause 2 seemed to see itself as a bit of a satire, where as Just Cause 3 tries to be serious. And it fails terribly. In the end, 3 is not the worst game. I had fun playing it. It just could have been so much better, and the problems seem glaringly obvious. I'm left wondering why it ended up like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I suppose I'm in the minority here because I had way more fun loving around in 3 over 2.
This is mostly because of all the QoL improvements. The story is trash in both. 2 was larger but pretty empty and had a lot of copy/paste.
3 was much more appealing to look at and everything seemed like it belonged but not a ton biome diversity.

3 is a lot more copy- paste. How many towns in Medici have the same church ruin and bit of a star fort? Cripes. And it seems like high-res rocks makes up a massive portion of the texture base, which is kind of insane.

There's a lot of missions that end in completely unnecessary cutscenes. Like the missile one for Rico steers it with his grappling hook, and I was thinking the whole time, I could just easily be doing this n-game. Or that one where you drive a truck out a plane, and the truck lands in the water with a really underwhelming explosion.

3 has a lot of weird interruptions in general. I really hate how every unlock or garage thing pauses the game and loads up a dumb little video in case I'd forgotten what a moped looks like. 2 was mostly seamless in how you got around Panau and completed missions.

Backhand posted:

Agreeing with the majority. The game was.... okay. I mean, I didn't hate it. There were legitimately fun parts and not many glaring weaknesses. But nothing really stood out either; in particular, I was thinking about it to myself last night, and outside of Rico and Sheldon I literally cannot remember a single character's name. And I only remember them because they were main characters, from JC2.

That's how forgettable the cast was.

The rebel radio lady, do you ever meet her in-game? She's maybe the most extraneous character ever created. Nothing she says is even funny! "Thanks Rico, the citizens of ________ are free!" And then silence.

Personally I think Medici is one of the least convincing game worlds ever created. Maybe JC3 really is satire, because it utter vacuity really well and that's basically 2016 in a nutshell.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The wingsuit is the main thing Just Cause 3 got undeniably better than the parachute grapple in JC2. Otherwise JC2 throws realism under the bus in favor of fun factor and just got it right. Everything from the world map, to the vehicle handling, to the characters/plot in JC2 ham it up in the name of fun gameplay.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I liked the wing suit but not enough to justify them gimping the parachute in the way they did.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
See, I find the parachute a lot better in 3 because it's actually fun to shoot from.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Okay so even though the JC2MP guys gave up and started working for Avalanche, JC3MP is being made by nanos.io and has just finished their first public test.

I wonder how popular this will be in comparison to JC2MP, because I think there was a much larger playerbase than there is now. Just Cause 2 goes on sale for under $5 more than once every year and it's been like that for a long time.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

IMHO they're wasting their effort. Especially if we get a just cause 4 that learns from just cause 3 and is a return to form for just cause 2 and we finally see what they were doing with those jc2mp guys, they wanted them for just cause 4.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So is this game worth getting or not? I'm getting mixed signals here.

One thing I don't care about is the story or what characters there are. So if those are issues with JC3 then that doesn't matter.

I've never played JC2.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I honestly don't think it is.

I even got the season pass for fairly cheap a couple of weeks ago and I instantly regretted it, got the bavarium wingsuit and it's a loving nightmare to use.
They really couldn't be assed to make prolonged flight any fun.

Anything that isn't just plain wingsuiting or doing things on the ground(that don't require the use of the any vehicles) is not any fun to me in this game, everything controls like poo poo or pilots like poo poo.

Just grappling around and blowing stuff up is moderately fun for a few hours though.

JC2 is infinitely superior in every way but combat and graphics.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
On sale, sure. I think the consensus on the DLC was a resounding 'meh' but the base game's worth ten bucks or so. Absolutely not full price.

I would recommend buying JC2 instead since it appears to be on sale on steam right now for dirt cheap and it's fun as hell.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
This game wasn't full price at lauinch so absolutely dont pay that now.

It's a fun game, the mechanics are all solid (unless you get into any land vehicle ever), and it'c cool to blast around the map.It's not as big or as varied as JC2 was, but it's still fun.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just 100% steam achievement Just Cause 2.
Sorta sad now, having spent that long on it.

Now for JC3.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

happyhippy posted:

Just 100% steam achievement Just Cause 2.
Sorta sad now, having spent that long on it.

Now for JC3.

Why not put off the inevitable a bit longer?
Have you gotten 100% completion in JC2 yet?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

Why not put off the inevitable a bit longer?
Have you gotten 100% completion in JC2 yet?

So loving tempted.
Got a 78% Mercenary Mode on easy.
Current run is hardcore and is only 46%.
It's not the hunting down of every item to blow up that Im dreading, its the loving challenges I hate. Especially the sky diving ones.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

happyhippy posted:

So loving tempted.
Got a 78% Mercenary Mode on easy.
Current run is hardcore and is only 46%.
It's not the hunting down of every item to blow up that Im dreading, its the loving challenges I hate. Especially the sky diving ones.

I did the city area in one long day. The trick is to do all the skydives in a row so you keep the controls internalized- and then you never have to do them again.

Other pro tricks- buying the really fast mini-copter and using it for races designed for planes.

And, of course, finding upgrade boxes is a pain and a half.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 24, 2016

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The really goofy poo poo in JC2 is that if you are paying attention you will discover that contrary to the prompts indicating there are 4 types of races: land, sea, air and parachute specifically, there are in fact only two types of races: parachute and vehicle. There are a good amount of boat and car races that can be completed in an airplane. If you can get a car or a boat to pass through the loop in an airplane race challenge while you are riding it, the game still accepts that as clearing it. Practically every vehicle race can be completed in the small helicopter, it is the kind of free for all that the JC3 team just completely missed which costs a great deal of the random amusement factor.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Shinjobi posted:

Final verdict on Just Cause 3: :mediocre:

There are some fun and enjoyable gameplay additions, but ultimately the entire experience finds a way to feel pretty shallow.

I had one of the singular most raging hard boners for JC2. I'd rate it up there with Saint's Row or most GTAs for open world fun and I even enjoyed JC1 a fair amount, so I was really excited for 3 and pleased by the positive response it seemed to be getting.

I don't know how they managed it but it just didn't feel like there was any magic or life to it. I can't even pinpoint what it is and that's what frustrates me, but if I had to guess it'd be Saint's Row 3's problem: The quality of the world took a huge step back.

In SR3 this was forgivable because the gameplay was so much tighter than before that it was a blast to play, but with this game the new additions just don't make up for it at all. Everywhere you go seems the same and there's no joy to blitzing around the world in cars. I miss the big cities and the sprawling deserts and finding tons of hidden things some bored devb tucked away.

Somehow Mad Max felt more evocative of JC than the real deal. It had a manic spirit and was content to just throw loads of cool spectacle at you with lots of satisfying action to boot. JC3 honestly felt like some other dev's knockoff that somehow managed to avoid all the things that made the previous games feel so much fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I re-downloaded the game after not having played it since release.....
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/111857618132544699/0956421E8B553902C398767AC970A8EF51E28E8B/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/111857618132544374/8C1A949250F44B0570E4155E3B8CE982F3008B6E/
What the gently caress is that? That's maximum graphics settings.

What the gently caress is that anti-antialiasing that's going on there? I've NEVER seen anything more disgusting looking in a AAA game before.

What have they done to the game?
Also for some reason the game tells me that I don't have enough RAM even though my system has 8GB RAM.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I refunded it because it runs like unbelievable poo poo, while I can run JC2 just fine.

JC3 is a massive turd which is an abysmal shame after JC2.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Jack Trades posted:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/111857618132544699/0956421E8B553902C398767AC970A8EF51E28E8B/
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/111857618132544374/8C1A949250F44B0570E4155E3B8CE982F3008B6E/

What the gently caress is that anti-antialiasing that's going on there? I've NEVER seen anything more disgusting looking in a AAA game before.

Also for some reason the game tells me that I don't have enough RAM even though my system has 8GB RAM.

That actually looks so bad that I went ingame for the first time in many moons just to check:

Not great, but not that bad on my end.

@OwlFancier: JC2 came out 6 years ago. I don't know that it's an appropriate benchmark for anything that came out this year.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 24, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alright, Just Cause 2 looks very nice, and runs very well, Just Cause 3 does not look sufficiently better to justify running as badly as it does, to say nothing of how abysmally crash prone it was on release.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

OwlFancier posted:

Alright, Just Cause 2 looks very nice, and runs very well, Just Cause 3 does not look sufficiently better to justify running as badly as it does, to say nothing of how abysmally crash prone it was on release.

Are you blind? JC3 is leagues better visually than a lot of games that come out even now.

It definitely does run far worse than it should though.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
If you bought this game on console, the game actually looks great. Every frame looks good, and you have time between the frames to really take in those destruction physics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deakul posted:

Are you blind? JC3 is leagues better visually than a lot of games that come out even now.

So is JC2.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

JC2 definitely looks 6 years old now, it has a weird plastic sheen over everything along with tons of bloom that really doesn't look very good anymore.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I had one of the singular most raging hard boners for JC2. I'd rate it up there with Saint's Row or most GTAs for open world fun and I even enjoyed JC1 a fair amount, so I was really excited for 3 and pleased by the positive response it seemed to be getting.

I don't know how they managed it but it just didn't feel like there was any magic or life to it. I can't even pinpoint what it is and that's what frustrates me, but if I had to guess it'd be Saint's Row 3's problem: The quality of the world took a huge step back.

In SR3 this was forgivable because the gameplay was so much tighter than before that it was a blast to play, but with this game the new additions just don't make up for it at all. Everywhere you go seems the same and there's no joy to blitzing around the world in cars. I miss the big cities and the sprawling deserts and finding tons of hidden things some bored devb tucked away.

Somehow Mad Max felt more evocative of JC than the real deal. It had a manic spirit and was content to just throw loads of cool spectacle at you with lots of satisfying action to boot. JC3 honestly felt like some other dev's knockoff that somehow managed to avoid all the things that made the previous games feel so much fun.

The vibe I get from JC3 is the same vibe I get from reading a tourist brochure or something. Everything is there and pretty and fun and zany and wacky, but it's really just meeting your pre-conceptions rather than being its' own animal.

The script and cutscenes are also atrociously boring.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Is there an option to internally render the game at less than the display resolution in the PC version? It does look crappier than I remember (only played on PS4 tho).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

orcane posted:

Is there an option to internally render the game at less than the display resolution in the PC version? It does look crappier than I remember (only played on PS4 tho).

There isn't and low resolution rendering would cause artifacts like that.
It's actually their anti-aliasing method that's completely hosed for some reason.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Had some serious insomnia over the weekend and finally finished this game.

I got all mods, completely all activities, every collectible and every settlement done. Not going to find all the vehicles or five star all challenges. That's like 97% completion.

I got JC2 on a steam sale for five bucks without having seen it and I loved it despite its faults. Any open world game with freedom of movement and stuff to find gets me. Like JC, Shadow of Mordor, Crackdown, etc.

Overall I liked JC3 more than JC2 even though it took me much longer to complete it. The wingsuit makes travel easier, it's easier to find missing destruction items when clearing towns/bases, it tracks what you have and haven't collected better. It was less buggy than JC2 I found. Even still had a few serious freezes when completing challenges and splash screens not showing up. Final mission bugged out and the boss killed himself.

The story missions were all pretty underwhelming, especially towards the end. Cut scenes were inane and I started skipping them halfway through.

I had a digital download version on PS4 and the load times were poo poo. Retrying challenges got tedious quick. My other major frustration was when you'd get juggled around and not have control for extended periods, like you get staggered by a shotgun blast then ragdolled around by different explosions, frame rate drops to single digits and you just can't recover fast enough not to die. If there had been some later gear mods that prevented that they would have been very welcome.

I think the SAMs are little too unforgiving both in the time it takes to hack and how quickly they bring down hijacked helicopters. What's really overpowered is the boats that spawn when you're clear a seaside town or oil rig. The guns kill you quick and you don't get much respite by parasailing/gliding away.

I'm happy with the helicopter and plane controls, but the cars, boats and motorbikes still handle like a game from 10 years ago.

But I can look past all this. Parasailing around causing mayhem and collecting stuff is fun to me. Haven't tried the DLC.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
I picked this and the Land/Sea/Air expansion up on sale, and blowing things up hasn't gotten old yet. I just got the powered wingsuit, and I had a question about the Eden helicarrier. I kinda like having it floating up there, both because it looks cool and because the game lacks a compass so it's the best point of reference in the initial island. Does the helicarrier survive the end of the Air missions, and if not what am I going to miss out on by not finishing those?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The helicarrier remains in the sky even after you complete all the missions.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is there a working FOV mod for this game? I picked it back up (having forgotten why I put it down) and was promptly reminded that there was some kind of minor patch in the summer which did nothing that I'm aware of other than breaking the JustFOV mod. And I guess the author abandoned it. I can't play this game with the default FOV, it's frustrating and makes my eyes hurt after awhile.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Indiana_Krom posted:

The helicarrier remains in the sky even after you complete all the missions.

Yeeeeees. Hope your insurance is paid up, Eden. I've got a quest chain to complete.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Multiplayer mod is live!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Trip Report: After unfucking my attempt to switch JC3 from my ssd to my hard drive it worked. I joined a server and while the game itself started up once I got into the server It kept rubberbanding me around for thirty seconds until it crashed. Attempt two resulted in some kind of memory leak that took so much cpu/memory/hard drive usage that it locked up my computer and forced me to hard reset.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Trip Report: After unfucking my attempt to switch JC3 from my ssd to my hard drive it worked. I joined a server and while the game itself started up once I got into the server It kept rubberbanding me around for thirty seconds until it crashed. Attempt two resulted in some kind of memory leak that took so much cpu/memory/hard drive usage that it locked up my computer and forced me to hard reset.

I thought I was back in the Star Citizen Thread again

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Replaying this casually again. Forgot how annoying the gunboats are when you're dicking around near a coast.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Odobenidae posted:

Worked fine for me. I think the lack of showing ping to the server is what screws people over. Got lucky with one where they had the server location as the title and it worked well without issues

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Attn: PS4 Pro owners! The next system firmware update adds the ability to boost the framerate of unpatched PS4 games on that premium console! I just booted the horrible broken console version back up on the FW beta and it now runs at a solid 30 FPS! I may even finish the game now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

I think the SAMs are little too unforgiving both in the time it takes to hack and how quickly they bring down hijacked helicopters. What's really overpowered is the boats that spawn when you're clear a seaside town or oil rig. The guns kill you quick and you don't get much respite by parasailing/gliding away.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Replaying this casually again. Forgot how annoying the gunboats are when you're dicking around near a coast.

fuuuuuck I came here specifically to gripe about those loving boats. They're probably single-handedly responsible for the majority of my deaths AND the majority of my 'time spent bored & hiding so my Heat would die down already.' Jesus. I would seriously like a mod that just, like, halves the accuracy on those boats' heavy machine guns. That's it - that's all it would take.

• Locked thread